[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can I cook a steak in it today with the grease still in there?   Cooked the bacon last nigt

I can tell right away you are not from the South, every self-respecting household has a bacon grease container next to
the stove for seasoning.

Yep.Mason jar works fine but they even make a fancy one if you want that:

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-6238COM-Porcelain-Container/dp/B003Y2TRTQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477278514&sr=8-4&keywords=grease+container+for+kitchen

+1 for mason jar.  It's what my grandma used, my mom used, etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but your steak would taste like bacon, a lot like bacon
That's a confusion and does neither justice
IMHO
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It's unsanitary.
Use a brillo pad and scrape out all seasoning, fat and particles.
Wash in the dishwasher 3 times on high heat. Scrub with steel wool between each washing.
Then get an angle grinder and buff to Bright silver.

You must do this after each time you cook with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No OP you have to throw your pan in the trash and buy a new one, its ruined now
View Quote

That's rude....It's not like his pan is an AK....
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sometimes I wonder how some of you even survive.
View Quote

Please sir, let Mother Nature do her work - it's important...

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Take the pan outside and put it on a grill or other open flame source such as a catering butane burner. Get that thing as hot as you can and let the bacon grease smoke off....Leave it on the burner for an hour....Then you'll be ready to cook.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Can I cook a steak in it today with the grease still in there?   Cooked the bacon last nigt

View Quote
Millennials

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Millennials  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Millennials  
I'm 48

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I like to have my steak seared.

A good sear is well beyond the smoke point of bacon fat.

So, while bacon fat is indeed tasty stuff, it isn't a good thermal fit for cooking steak.  A steak that tastes like burnt bacon is wrong on multiple levels.  

If you want the flavor, baste a little bacon fat on a seared steak and finish it in the oven.  Or even baste some on while it rests after cooking.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I like to have my steak seared.

A good sear is well beyond the smoke point of bacon fat.

So, while bacon fat is indeed tasty stuff, it isn't a good thermal fit for cooking steak.  A steak that tastes like burnt bacon is wrong on multiple levels.  

If you want the flavor, baste a little bacon fat on a seared steak and finish it in the oven.  Or even baste some on while it rests after cooking.

View Quote
it was pretty good

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most pathogenic bacteria can't grow in bacon grease:  Too salty, not enough water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, and it's fantastic.

That's my favorite breakfast.

Bacon, then cook steak and eggs in bacon fat.

It'll be fine from last night. The heat will take care of the bacteria you're probably worrying about.

Most pathogenic bacteria can't grow in bacon grease:  Too salty, not enough water.

Halophilic bacteria require a salty environment.  I agree that that grease is still GTG, but bacteria or otherwise it will go rancid if left on the stove for a while.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Halophilic bacteria require a salty environment.  I agree that that grease is still GTG, but bacteria or otherwise it will go rancid if left on the stove for a while.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and it's fantastic.

That's my favorite breakfast.

Bacon, then cook steak and eggs in bacon fat.

It'll be fine from last night. The heat will take care of the bacteria you're probably worrying about.

that's what I was worried about

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't understand.. I thought bacon grease was the only way to use cast-iron.......
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Step away from the stove and wait for your husband to get home.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep, looked sort of like a like a small coffee percolator with a strainer basket to catch the large particles from the previous fry. My wife keeps ours in a small plastic container so we have to let it cool before pourng it in.  

Also old timers smoked pork then put it in large cans and covered it in hot lard (bacon grease) for storage.  

We might die fast in the South but we will be well fed and have a smile on our face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell right away you are not from the South, every self-respecting household has a bacon grease container next to
the stove for seasoning.

Yep, looked sort of like a like a small coffee percolator with a strainer basket to catch the large particles from the previous fry. My wife keeps ours in a small plastic container so we have to let it cool before pourng it in.  

Also old timers smoked pork then put it in large cans and covered it in hot lard (bacon grease) for storage.  

We might die fast in the South but we will be well fed and have a smile on our face.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]
risk/reward.

your call oP

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top