Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 ownage.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Plissken-

Good to "see" you alive and well, brother.  I've procrastinated enough regarding a good medical kit, and am in the process of planning one out.  I agree with the statements about not stocking equipment that you are not trained in the use of.  I'm not going to be putting any long sharp objects into anybody.
I think I've got a pretty good list for my needs but I haven't figured out what sort of container I will keep it all in.

Any suggestions for container/bag options?  I assume waterproof is pretty important....
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Without overloading the amount of medical gear to the point of a medic or field surgeon's carry load (strictly speaking a shooter's rig here,) which MOLLE compatible pouch on the market would you select, and what medical gear would you have in it, compared to/basing off of a std issue USGI medkit?

Keep a SHTF condition in mind (take your pick,) where medevac and/or a better equipped medical facility may not be readily available.

So, which pouch (ex: ATS kit, BFG trauma kit NOW, HSGI, esstac medrat, etc) and what medical gear would you keep in it?

id have to reccommend something, that you can mount to your backpack, or load bearing gear. most people are not going to want to lug a combat lifesaver bag around with them,  the usual issue improved first aid kit, is really not too bad, but you need to add to it..... if you want a basic kit, get the issue kit, and add a few other things, you will have a israeli bandage, tourniquet, and whatever else you add. a larger option is the saw ammo pouch, its not gigantic, and will hold probably 3x, what the issue pouch holds.

issue, improved first aid kit. ............................ you can get these online, on ebay, etc.....

http://www.gcswarrior.com/200rd_SAW_Ammon_Pouch_p/af%20m-249%20200rd%20pouch.htm
saw ammo pouch  
http://www.1sks.com/store/elite-force-medical-fa187-military-ifak-individual-first-aid-kit.html

additional contents?
ok, shtf first aid kit, no hospitals available. ( worst case scenerio)......im a combat lifesaver, several times over, and know how to do iv's, but not legally out of the military, and i dont even know if i can buy the stuff. if i was emt, or paramedic rated i probably could, these are very good to have, and life saving.   if you dont have it, get some real training. i need to do a emt course, i have lots of free time.
serious trauma, cut, gunshot..   ( you will need want, larger better equipped kits at home/ vehicle)

1. israeli bandages, .. although the old mil bandages, and a ace bandage together does the same thing for cheap.  cant have too many.
2.quick clot bandages.. these are really effective. but not cheap. ... if elevation, , presure, quick clot and a israeli bandage wont stop the bleeding, you need a tourniquet. the premade mil ones are excellent.
3. mil tourniquets, for when the above stuff fails, and your still bleeding too much... ( your also in big trouble, and better find a dr., a veternarian, or somebody with real knowledge)
4. field surgical kit, ( for stitching cuts and things you cant get to the er for, but are not life threatening)... dont forget antiseptic/ germ killing things, iodine, neosporin etc.
5. all kinda of neosporin, and other antiseptic things. to take care of the small things, so they dont get infected.
6. lots of bandaids for small cuts etc.
7. eye wash, your always getting dust, dirt in your eyes, and it sucks.
8. OTC, comfort meds. pain reliever, antiinflamitory( for sore/ pulled muscles), ( alieve has both), sinus/ allergy meds, some powered cold meds, lip balm, dental numbing gell, sore teeth are a killer,   etc.
9. hydration type powder. im sure there are special things available, but gatorade,  etc. for when you manage to get dehydrated, and need to replace salts, minerals etc etc.
10. vitamins, if your not eating well, these are like gold for getting all the little things you need.

this is  a good basic list, more advanced meds are obviously better, like prescription pain killers, and antibiotics,  but your own your own there, and laws, and med warnings apply.  

thanks by the way. now i need to add 4x individual first aid kits to my endless equipment list. .... i was already adding 5 ! ...4 larger ones, for the house, 2 cars, and bov, and a smaller for the atv. now i need 4 individual for each person.... fuck ! ! ! !
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm going to make a general announcement- if someone finds me unconcious and then sticks a safety pin through my lip and tongue to secure my airway instead of just putting me in the recovery position, I'm going to hunt his ass down and administer some remedial training ("at the risk of seeming ungrateful").

Good lord that's alarming.

A Nasopharyngeal airway would be better.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a bit of a problem with some of the suggestions we have here. Guaze and wound-stopping dressings are great, but unless your replacing fluids your SOL.

Yeah and unless you can get to definative medical care within the day and ideally into surgery within an hour of the injury you're SOL anyway and thats assuming you can get the necessary medical supplies and the hospitals are still functioning. And thats assuming you won the gunfight.  The only sure way to survive SHTF is to not be involved.

This is why training in more than just gun fighting is paramount to survival in a SHTF scenario. Call around to your local fire departments and hospitals. See if any will be offering an EMT-B class that will be open to the public. Many of them do this semi regularly for their members and will open them up to the public to offset the costs. Many times you can get the full course including books for under $600. This was how I got my EMT license and it only took about six months of class two nights a week and 40 hours of clinical time. I now work as an EMT at a local hospital a few nights per month which nets me a little extra cash as well as a ton of experience hands on. Currently in more class so I can get a P next to that.

I'm taking EMT-B now. Since you've got yours and use it, you would understand why all these best *insert item* for SHTF is pointless. Unless you have a team of well trained and practiced faceshooters and a functional support capability, you lose. SHTF is more or less defined by a lack of guaranteed support. After realizing what the horrors of SHTF are, you reallize how any individualistic training for SHTF is mental masterbation. A trauma kit may be able to do ABCs, but that will just guarantee a slower painful death of your buddy or you while you or your buddy watch if S has really HTF.  We dont realize how good we have it.

Doing noting guarantees the death of your buddy. I use my license and in that time have seen the miracle that is the human bodies ability to heal itself after some pretty serious fucking boo boos. Of course that is certain not to happen if they bleed out and go into hypoperfusion first. Also remember care does not stop at the Basic level. Just because my license currently stops at basic does not mean I am incapable of delivering care at a level beyond my scope of practice. I have assisted with many procedures numerous times on crazy nights in the ER that go beyond my pay grade and feel confident enough to attempt such procedures myself in a situation where hospitals are out of the question and certain death is the alternative to advanced intervention.

My personal kit contains more than splints and BVMs.

That's all well and good, but he was asking for an IFAK. But that is generally only good for ABCs. Unless there is someone close with paramedic level knowledge and equipment to start IVs etc, they likely will go into shock. Then you get to watch your buddy die slowly if you can't make it to definative care (assuming it still exists functionally in SHTF).

Lots of assumptions here.

A) As mentioned above, even if you're not trained in the use of <insert item here>, such items in your kit can still be used by a qualified person nearby.
B) Not everyone's definition of SHTF includes the zombie apocalypse. There are plenty of realistic scenarious where a well-thought-out kit can be of use, prior to receiving proper care, which may very well still be available.
C) In the event of a zombie apocalypse, trying to save your soon-to-be-dead buddy using last-ditch efforts is still better than not even trying. I fail to see how slow death > fast death when at least slow death has a chance.
D) According to your logic, every moderately injured soldier prior to WWII should have died.
E) Just because it's in a kit doesn't mean it has to be used.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a bit of a problem with some of the suggestions we have here. Guaze and wound-stopping dressings are great, but unless your replacing fluids your SOL.

I got lucky, my GSW didn't bleed THAT much relatively. My whole shirt sleeve (both sweatshirt and long t-shirt), right thigh of my jeans, the side of my fridge, my buddy's shirt and shorts, and my kitchen floor were all COVERED in blood, so it looked worse than it really was. Over the actual incident and two subsequent surgeries (one being six hours long) I never required a blood transfusion. It could have been much worse. However, my kit is not geared for a SHTF/end of the world kind of scenario. It is made to keep people from bleeding to death until better trained and equipped people can get there to take over. I took it with me in the patrol car when I did ride alongs and had the same first aid training the deputy I was riding with did, so he trusted me if we came upon something we both were qualified to treat.

When you start talking SHTF scenarios where there is zero medical help available period, or you'd have to wait a couple days, you're probably fucked. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but people get delusions of becoming garage trauma surgeons. I know when I was a teenager I thought that's how it would be.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah and unless you can get to definative medical care within the day and ideally into surgery within an hour of the injury you're SOL anyway and thats assuming you can get the necessary medical supplies and the hospitals are still functioning. And thats assuming you won the gunfight.  The only sure way to survive SHTF is to not be involved.

Yep. All depends on the location of the wound, but I know I would have been fucked with how bad my elbow was shattered. I couldn't move it at all without nearly going into tears, and it takes a lot of physical pain to make me cry these days. There is no way that was a "set it in a splint and deal with it" injury, even if you COULD control the infection problem.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Put what you know how to use (have been trained in) in your kit.
For a shooter kit, you need to be able to stop bleeding and bleeding and bleeding and seal a sucking chest wound.  Anything besides that you would need training in so just focus on the first two items.

True, but since a generic SHTF scenario may be more likely there are many more items you could/should carry in addition to a blow-out kit.

Bug spray, sun screen, disinfectant spray, cough drops, epi-pens, cold packs, band-aids, gauze, ace bandages, and much more.

Not exciting, and not very tactical. But I would imagine 1,000x more useful in a Katrina-style SHTF.

I've actually been shot in the leg.... and that was my one and only medical/trauma emergency I've ever had.

One thing that sucks about stocking a first aid kit, is that the biggest thing about treating trauma... is oxygen. Kinda hard to keep that in a bag in your car. I mean, I'm pretty sure keeping a pressurized oxygen tank in the trunk of a car is a pretty bad idea.  

Good point.

Shock is another thing... Thinking back, I went into it pretty quickly, but I remember talking to my mom on the phone before I got loaded into the helicopter and telling her I was fine (haha, fat fucking lie) and I'd see her as soon as she could get back, don't worry about me, etc. I remember telling her not to ruin her vacation and come home early, too, I just forgot she was scheduled to come back the next morning.

I wish EMT classes were cheaper, I'd love to do that too, but you are not covered by the agency you work for as an LEO here if you use anything above the level of care you were taught in the police academy, and since that's what I want to do, I wouldn't have any "practical" use for it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why training in more than just gun fighting is paramount to survival in a SHTF scenario. Call around to your local fire departments and hospitals. See if any will be offering an EMT-B class that will be open to the public. Many of them do this semi regularly for their members and will open them up to the public to offset the costs. Many times you can get the full course including books for under $600. This was how I got my EMT license and it only took about six months of class two nights a week and 40 hours of clinical time. I now work as an EMT at a local hospital a few nights per month which nets me a little extra cash as well as a ton of experience hands on. Currently in more class so I can get a P next to that.

I'm taking EMT-B now. Since you've got yours and use it, you would understand why all these best *insert item* for SHTF is pointless. Unless you have a team of well trained and practiced faceshooters and a functional support capability, you lose. SHTF is more or less defined by a lack of guaranteed support. After realizing what the horrors of SHTF are, you reallize how any individualistic training for SHTF is mental masterbation. A trauma kit may be able to do ABCs, but that will just guarantee a slower painful death of your buddy or you while you or your buddy watch if S has really HTF.  We dont realize how good we have it.

Doing noting guarantees the death of your buddy. I use my license and in that time have seen the miracle that is the human bodies ability to heal itself after some pretty serious fucking boo boos. Of course that is certain not to happen if they bleed out and go into hypoperfusion first. Also remember care does not stop at the Basic level. Just because my license currently stops at basic does not mean I am incapable of delivering care at a level beyond my scope of practice. I have assisted with many procedures numerous times on crazy nights in the ER that go beyond my pay grade and feel confident enough to attempt such procedures myself in a situation where hospitals are out of the question and certain death is the alternative to advanced intervention.

My personal kit contains more than splints and BVMs.

That's all well and good, but he was asking for an IFAK. But that is generally only good for ABCs. Unless there is someone close with paramedic level knowledge and equipment to start IVs etc, they likely will go into shock. Then you get to watch your buddy die slowly if you can't make it to definative care (assuming it still exists functionally in SHTF).

Lots of assumptions here.

A) As mentioned above, even if you're not trained in the use of <insert item here>, such items in your kit can still be used by a qualified person nearby. Which means a team, support elements, the ability to win fire superiority, fire and manuver, knowledge of care under fire, knowledge of TCCC, Knowledge of medivac procedures (and the presence of and ability to contact medivac (which is specified as not available in the OP)), the ability to contact medivac which requires radios(cost money and have to be tuned to the right freq in advance) or cell phones(unreliable in OP prescribed SHTF)  
B) Not everyone's definition of SHTF includes the zombie apocalypse. There are plenty of realistic scenarious where a well-thought-out kit can be of use, prior to receiving proper care, which may very well still be available. This is true, which is why I give TacMed Solutions IFAKs to CCW holders I know that have a valid CCW permit, CPR/AED and first aid training, and have covered some old 91B medical cards. As good samaritans they are legally covered enough to keep someone alive if encountering bad car accident/CCW encounter/ND situation. This is not OP prescribed SHTF. That is GSW/trauma care to include ABCs. Advanced care and definative care are available.
C) In the event of a zombie apocalypse, trying to save your soon-to-be-dead buddy using last-ditch efforts is still better than not even trying. I fail to see how slow death > fast death when at least slow death has a chance. That is true, but the best option is no zombie apocolypse unless its a video game. The they are fun.
D) According to your logic, every moderately injured soldier prior to WWII should have died. 12,809,280 injured  5,711,696 Dead   If I'm figuring correctly that'
s a 44% mortality rate and they had primitive medivac at the time. Source

E) Just because it's in a kit doesn't mean it has to be used. That is true. YMMV, but ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.

Quoted:
Without overloading the amount of medical gear to the point of a medic or field surgeon's carry load (strictly speaking a shooter's rig here,) which MOLLE compatible pouch on the market would you select, and what medical gear would you have in it, compared to/basing off of a std issue USGI medkit?

Keep a SHTF condition in mind (take your pick,) where medevac and/or a better equipped medical facility may not be readily available.

So, which pouch (ex: ATS kit, BFG trauma kit NOW, HSGI, esstac medrat, etc) and what medical gear would you keep in it?

Given initial requirements paramedic level care is a must, no?

A GSW is SHTF, but not regional/national SHTF where "where medevac and/or a better equipped medical facility may not be readily available" unless its a hunting accident in the woods (in which you would want paramedic level care, but would still be a situation that you would try to avoid).

I guess what I'm trying to say is (in order of preference:
1) Avoid the situation like the plague
2) paramedic level care with transport/definative medical care available
IF regional/national SHTF (no guaranteed transport/definative care)
3) paramedic level care with team/support (highly unlikely)
4)EMT level care with team/support (highly unlikely)
5)" my buddies taught me this" level care with team/support (highly unlikely)
6) paramedic level care
7)EMT level care
8)" my buddies taught me this" level care with IFAK
9) no care/training/equipment

Golden hour is god

YMMV, tell me if/where you disagree. I am painfully aware I'm a relative n00b.
Please be gentle.

ETA  How did I double tap on the last page? I thought Goatboy fixed that?!?!
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a Pelican 1200 case for my everyday kit. Definitely not a trauma kit by any name, but I'd consider it a decent first aid kit. I've got a couple Israeli bandages in my go-bag for work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
btt for a damn good topic...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
And James Yeager is a Emt or Paramedic??????????

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good input so far. I'm moreso focused on the smaller kind of Med/blowout kits one would see attached to vests/belts.

Anybody can weigh in here who owns or has experience with this: .mil, LEO, EMT, contractor/PMC, civilian.

Looking pretty much for a "this is the pouch I run, and this is What I keep in/on it."

Also, for our recent veterans of the last decade: what are the contents of the USGI individual/infantry IFAK, how big is it, and what would you add/subtract to/from it?

In that case, if this kit is explicitly for YOU...

Gauze
Bandage Wraps
Tourniquet
Occlusive dressings (Ascherman Chest seal for instance... although, a piece of plastic sheeting, and some tape will work fine. Just tape 3 sides, or tape all four side, but leave a small corner open. These are used on sucking chest wounds)
Nasopharyngeal airway sized for you (this is for SOMEONE ELSE TO PUT IN YOU. Chances are, if your of enough mind to apply it to yourself... you don't need it.)
Medic scissors
Sling and Swath
Chemlight
Hemostatic agent (Celox or Quickclot, I've heard some people say they prefer Celox, since it does not cause an thermal reaction)
Burn ointment

Also... if your part of some sort of... "paramilitary" group, or survivalist group, or a group of friends trying to fight your way through zombie infested NYC.... and one happens to be a full blown paramedic... include a decompression needle in your kit. Remember, the items in your kit, don't necessarilly have to be used BY YOU, they can be used ON YOU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNSuSXSo5Pk

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Twenty six years ago I was required to take the EMT B course because of the police department I was on.  I used it for a couple years until moving on to a larger department.  Over the years I've had need to use various first aid techniques and CPR.  

But like someone else has said, If you don't use it you lose it.  I remember quite a bit, but have also forgot quite a bit.  Even in a shift situation I wouldn't try to put an IV in.  Lots of this is common sense.  Go to your closest community college for more advanced medical training.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I am wary of recommending items that folks have never used.

One side note to that, there is always the off chance that you will be in a position to render aid and someone more qualified that you will come along such as an EMT sans gear. It would be nice to have some of the basic necessities to cover that situation.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, I used a MOLLE II "Sustainment Pouch" for mine.  It is the perfect size, for what I wanted (for my BOB).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top