Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Netbackup
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I use SyncBack Pro and love it.

Its got some very sophisticated settings, and it can handle "bigtime" projects.   We use it at my office to backup a user drive with 700,000+ files, using daily differentials with a Monday reset and a weekly rotation.  (In other words, there is a week 5 day set, Mondays are full backups, Tues through Fri are differentials, and each month there are four sets of those produced before we rotate back through the cycle).  

Also, it has support for cloud services, etc.   Emails you a log file if there are any errors.  

Extremely good program... makes all the other backup solutions I've used look like child's play.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Powervault library here too...but running Symantec. Not flashy or fun, but meh, it works
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Using a dell tape robot - powervault TL4000 with LTO5 tapes (48 tapes @ 1.5TB raw per tape) with an iSCSI interface. Software is bacula. Free and open source.

Tape rules.

Powervault library here too...but running Symantec. Not flashy or fun, but meh, it works
Tandberg robotic library T24 + Symantec BE

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

^^^

I've never used the BE VM plugin/agent.  So I don't know.  But I've seen BE be pretty much rock solid if backing up to a disk target for a large number of servers (100+).
View Quote
IIRC, Symantec doesn't even recommend BE for more than 100 servers.  

There's other factors here, including backup set size, target media, backup windows, etc.  But my experience with BE is that I would not trust it to work reliably in an environment without the simplest of needs, where BE isn't being pushed at all.  My experience with the VM agent is dated, but at the time it was a poorly written hack.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:23:51 AM EDT
[#5]
For the virtual machines, Dell AppAssure.  Very nice, we've got it doing snapshots every hour.
On the remaining physical servers, ArcServe.
I can't wait for the day when we no longer use tapes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:31:49 AM EDT
[#6]
We XCOPY our file servers to our offsite servers every 15 minutes.

Backup Exec runs every night to tape. Acronis runs every night on the really important servers. We don't worry about client workstations, if they cared about their files they would store them on the server.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Switch to Hyper-V from VMware?  

VMware has a free hypervisor as well.  Consolidation ratios and networking flexibility isn't even close with hyper-v.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Veeam for VMware.

MS DPM isn't bad if you are using System Center across the stack already.  But it's sweet spot is on Hyper-V.

Why haven't you switched to Hyper-V ?

Switch to Hyper-V from VMware?  

VMware has a free hypervisor as well.  Consolidation ratios and networking flexibility isn't even close with hyper-v.

I don't think you have looked in a while.  Hyper-V is competitive on both spaces on Server 2012.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:15:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just seems to be on the flaky side....  i've had customers with bad experiences with it, plus it requires a license for every single feature...

EMC is basically giving it away now...  (ETA:  if you buy a Data Domain from them as a backup target)

Backup Exec has a VMware agent that will backup full VM's.  Not sure how well it works,  but it would be an all in one solution..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Virtual Environment?  Can't recommend Veeam enough..  Backup Exec is ok.  Networker sucks (and I'm an EMC engineer).  Avamar is on the expensive side...

Why does networker suck? Emc is coming in tomorrow with a quote for that.

I would look more into Veeam but didn't want one solution for physical and one for virtual.

Just seems to be on the flaky side....  i've had customers with bad experiences with it, plus it requires a license for every single feature...

EMC is basically giving it away now...  (ETA:  if you buy a Data Domain from them as a backup target)

Backup Exec has a VMware agent that will backup full VM's.  Not sure how well it works,  but it would be an all in one solution..

At $47,000 for Networker and $50,000 for Data Domain, I would not call that giving it away. The EMC rep didn't even want to quote us Avama after talking it up because it would cost more.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Snapmanager from NetApp for disk-disk-disk replication.  Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

At $47,000 for Networker and $50,000 for Data Domain, I would not call that giving it away. The EMC rep didn't even want to quote us Avama after talking it up because it would cost more.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Virtual Environment?  Can't recommend Veeam enough..  Backup Exec is ok.  Networker sucks (and I'm an EMC engineer).  Avamar is on the expensive side...

I would look more into Veeam but didn't want one solution for physical and one for virtual.

I'd pass.  The reseller should be able to get much better pricing on Networker..
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

We have been looking at backup software and everything seems pretty expensive. I am not impressed with Symantec, an have looked at Appasure, netvault and Acronis. Nothing has really jumped out at me.

View Quote

We have about 125 VMs and 8 physical servers we need to backup. We are also a mixed Windows and Linux environment and the VMs are on Vmware 5.1. We also will be doing disk to disk as we don't have the people to be swapping tape at night and disk is just easier.

What do you run and what are the pros and cons of your backup solution?

ETA: Just looking to backup servers and not clients.

Veeam is the ticket for backing up and recovering your VM's:

http://www.veeam.com/

I absolutely love that software.

You will need lots of bandwidth and storage but you need that with virtual infrastructure anyway. Check out Nexsan, the E18's specifically, as a storage target for your Veeam server. I run veeam in the prod environment with the nexsan as a target then use nexsans LUN replication to carry the data to another E18 at a remote location.

As far as data backup (file shares etc) they can be backed up in the VM BUT criticality of teh data may require that you still keep separate copies of it via Symantec BUE or something.

eta:

If you need a vendor to talk to you about veeam/nexsan architecture and quotes etc. just send me a PM and I'll send you my guys contact info.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#12]
We use Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) in a disk-disk-tape setup.
It works very well if you're an all MS shop, backing up Hyper-V VMs from the host (and can restore them as a functional VM or restore files from within the VHDs). Backs up Exchange and SQL Server nicely as well.

Since you're a VMware shop I would take a look at Veeam. Also, get an autoloader for disk-disk-tape backups. We use a Quantum Superloader 3 LTO5 and a Superloader 3 LTO6. They hold uncompressed 1.5TB (LTO5) or 2.5TB (LTO6) per tape.
The size of your autoloader / tape library will depend on the size of your data and the schedule you want to do tape backups.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Netbackup for pretty much everything except for LightSpeed for some SQL stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#14]
On a related note, let me know if you guys ever want any help.  I work at one of the big resellers and deal a lot with Avamar, NBU, Commvault, etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Backup Exec 2012.

I hate it with a passion, but it is at least better than the last version.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Crashplan at the house.  Love it.  At work, well that is more complicated.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EMC is basically giving it away now...

Like dogshit.

Total and complete dogshit.  Backup Exec is a decent 1-10 server solution, if you must.  Past that, you really need a non-shit product.

+1

BUE sucks ass, so does Symantec Support. I have been getting rid of Symantec products for years simply because the support is so bad.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

appasure, TIVOLLI and avamar.

appasure has been great, avamar is good but seems less flexible from the admin i talk to.

I got stuck with tivolli on my AIX system. Tivolli is the biggest most convoluted horse turd i have ever had the pleasure to use. Our implementation is rather simple, 1 aix system and 4 VM's. between IBM and our vendor we have spent 100's of hours just trying to keep this turd running. i have zero faith it will be usable when/if i need to recover the systems.
View Quote

TSM is a good system, but it's not a good choice for a small implementation.  The administrative overhead is significant, and if you don't know what your doing with it it can and will bite you in the ass.  1 AIX system and 4 VM's?  Yeah, not worth it at all.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
BUE sucks ass, so does Symantec Support. I have been getting rid of Symantec products for years simply because the support is so bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EMC is basically giving it away now...

Like dogshit.

Total and complete dogshit.  Backup Exec is a decent 1-10 server solution, if you must.  Past that, you really need a non-shit product.

+1

Symantec has support?

LOL.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#22]
DataProtector.  We ditched NetBackUp couple years back.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#23]
When my creative team was part of a small we shop, we used Retrospect.

All users had a Mac Pro workstation with four 1TB hard drives:

HD 1: System & Documents

HD 2: Duplicate document folder/files backup

HD 3: Full system backup

HD 4: 2 partitions: Partition A = photoshop scratch disk, Partition B = random space for shifting files around when needed

External HD - 1TB: Duplicate document folder/files backup

Schedule looked like this:

Noon: Duplicate documents folder/files from HD 1 to HD 2

4:30pm: Duplicate documents folder/files from HD 1 to External HD (HD would go home with user)

8:00pm: Duplicate documents folder/files from HD 1 to HD 2

10:00pm: Full system backup from HD 1 to HD3

In 3 years using this system, I never lost a file. Although some Mac OS updates would make retrospect wonky.

Once we got sucked up into a larger department, we were handed Macs from the IT department. All files reside on the server and are backup by IT. I do keep an external HD backup of mt files just in case. Ive heard recently, that IT is going to disable USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt ports for flash and external media.

At home I just use Time Machine to an external backup. Once a week I swap it out for HD that resides offsite. I also keep DVD copies of critical files offsite as well.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Backup Exec 3600.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I wrote my own and it seems to work
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#26]
for a linux environment, Bacula is the end all, be all.

i use it at home, and i built a disk-disk-tape system for a consulting gig i did last year, backing up about 180 linux systems.  you can configured multiple backup streams for as much network bandwidth as your backup server has (and your network can handle).

there are some mac and windows agents for bacula, but i have never tried them out. im not sure how well they would do backing up a MSSQL or MSExchange server, as the DBs have their transnational logs, which i am sure bacula would be unaware of.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Netvault but were small with no virtual stuff. We use it to back up 12 servers (Mostly MS and a few Linux) to disk every night then copy it to tape. It works fine but the scheduling interface is a pain in the ass. I have to spend an hour changing things around every month when we do a special end of month backup. It would be much nicer if it had a calendar type interface. We dont back up desktops. Users are told if they dont put it on the file server then their SOL if their hard drive dies.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Hopefully this is not off totally topic..

is there a good disc imaging program for backing up desktop PCs.... that doesn't backup free space. So, if I make an image of a drive with 20gb/100gb, the image would only be ~20gb

I prefer open source, but would try anything.

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

is there a good disc imaging program for backing up desktop PCs.... that doesn't backup free space. So, if I make an image of a drive with 20gb/100gb, the image would only be ~20gb

Thanks

View Quote

I use CloneZilla to do just this.  The resulting image file is only roughly the size of the real files on disk, even when you image the entire partition.

If imaging Windows boxes, don't forget to Sysprep first.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I have VRanger, AppAssure, and Backup Exec in my environment.

For those that say AppAssure sucks, I'd love to know why. Put a small agent on your machines, and it snapshots to the AppAssure box at whatever interval you want. De-dupe is done on the agent side, so the size of the snapshots are pretty good. Then it automatically replicates those snapshots to our second AppAssure box which is hosted at another office about 2hrs away. You can restore snapshots to a physical device, to a vmware workstation file, or right to ESX/Vcenter. You can also mount your snapshots and browse the file structure if you like. We've had it in production since Dec, and it hasn't failed us yet.

I also love VRanger, but its a bit more limited. Its basically using the snapshot functionality of Vcenter, and then just hijacking the snapshot image and storing it away on a SAN or something. Reliable, but no good way to take the backups offsite. The diffs and incrementals are also quite a bit bigger than AppAssure, which makes pushing them over WAN or MPLS pretty tough.

BackupExec is serviceable, but its always one of the most finicky apps around especially if you're using tape libraries.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

We're a NetBackup shop.
View Quote

Same, just migrated everything over to the new NBU Appliance servers too.

It's like using Data Domain as your target. (simplified)  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
yea it was thrust upon me by idiots that felt they knew more about the system architecture than i did when i designed the systems. add to it the fact our vendor that did the implementation was fired 3 weeks later as incompetent and you have a goat fuck of a system that has never worked and likely never will for our needs. I supported TSM from the hardware side on enterprise systems with IBM and it was a decent product for large scale systems. for this it sucks and sucks BAD!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

appasure, TIVOLLI and avamar.

appasure has been great, avamar is good but seems less flexible from the admin i talk to.

I got stuck with tivolli on my AIX system. Tivolli is the biggest most convoluted horse turd i have ever had the pleasure to use. Our implementation is rather simple, 1 aix system and 4 VM's. between IBM and our vendor we have spent 100's of hours just trying to keep this turd running. i have zero faith it will be usable when/if i need to recover the systems.

TSM is a good system, but it's not a good choice for a small implementation.  The administrative overhead is significant, and if you don't know what your doing with it it can and will bite you in the ass.  1 AIX system and 4 VM's?  Yeah, not worth it at all.

yea it was thrust upon me by idiots that felt they knew more about the system architecture than i did when i designed the systems. add to it the fact our vendor that did the implementation was fired 3 weeks later as incompetent and you have a goat fuck of a system that has never worked and likely never will for our needs. I supported TSM from the hardware side on enterprise systems with IBM and it was a decent product for large scale systems. for this it sucks and sucks BAD!

An incompetent vendor and TSM?  Yeah, that'll get someone to suck start a Glock.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I use CloneZilla to do just this.  The resulting image file is only roughly the size of the real files on disk, even when you image the entire partition.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Yep thats a good one. Also, Redo Backup is a pretty good one. I think the interface is a bit more polished for the average joe home user.

http://redobackup.org/
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you. I've heard about it but haven't tried it yet.

Off to do some research to try these out.

Cheers

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top