User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Funny thing you should mention this.  I was sitting in the blind today and was thinking how great it would be if I could hunt with my dad just one more time  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Miss my dad heaps. I remember tossing a baseball with him as a kid. What I wouldn't give to be able to do it one more time.

Funny thing you should mention this.  I was sitting in the blind today and was thinking how great it would be if I could hunt with my dad just one more time  

So true.  Today was the opening day of deer season in Idaho.  My dad and I used to get up early and drive a couple of hours to hunt in the Owyhee mountains up until about 2004 (my parents moved up here in 2000).  He used to tell and retell the stories about his many hunting trips in CA, CO, NV, and WY while we drove to our hunting spot.  Sometimes we'd come back to the truck for lunch and it would be snowing.  We'd sit in truck and eat sandwiches, and Dad would recall similar experiences that the moment made him remember about the past.  Those stories were awesome and full of wisdom and adventure-thrilling even, and nothing was "exaggerated" or embellished.    

I was recalled out of the IRR in the Spring of 2005 for several years and by the time I came back he'd slowed down too much to get out and hunt.  

Last time we went out together was a quick day trip in 2011.  We went someplace along the Snake River where he didn't have to negotiate broken, uneven terrain.  He did fine.  We tried going back to the Owyhees in  2008 to our usual spot when I came back for a year, but he fell three times that day.  He hit his jaw on a rock the first time in the morning and it rung his bell so hard he saw stars.  His Ruger No. 1 took a beating.  He just couldn't and still can't move his legs like he used to be able to.  It was scary-we never tried that again.

I purchased my license and tag yesterday, and later thought to myself, "Why? If Dad can't be there, it's just not the same".  Like a piece of me is missing.  We walked many miles together in the field as I was growing up, and if he's not there now, I just don't have any interest in hunting without him.  It doesn't feel right.  I don't want to make that drive alone without him there to talk to, telling me the stories of his youth.  

He's 85 now, and taking care of my mom-she's a full time job because she has a bad heart and is physically weak.  I feel guilty about going out without him-like eating in front of someone that's hungry.  I try to see my Mom and Dad every day, because I know they won't be around forever.  Maybe I'll hunt again someday, when I'm ready I suppose.

He used to throw the football with me in the backyard when I was young.  He'd come home from work and take the time throw it with me.  He was a great father-still is.  Later on after I was married with two boys, my parents would come over for dinner and afterwards Dad, the two boys and I would go outside to the backyard and throw a football for a little while.  There was much laughter.  I miss it.  I miss those times.

All of it.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I canceled a trip to go see my dad a few days before he was killed, still fucks with me 7 years later.  

Even the morning It happened something kept telling me to call him, but I kept saying I would later when I got to the hotel.

I had been on duty for 30 hours and just wanted to sleep in my chair waiting for our ride, well I learned my lesson, now if I think about calling someone I do right then.

The moral of my story is don't put anything off that has to do with seeing family, you may not get another chance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I envy some of you. The 1 year anniversary of my dads passing is next weekend
View Quote

I remember that.  I'm sorry saigaman.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I never was one to toss a ball with dad, but I still go elk hunting with him and/or 3-gun shooting with him at every opportunity.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad is an asshole, you guys are lucky...
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Do it.  My father died when I was 10.  Right before his death, I was somewhat ill, and missed out on a lot of our usual spring fishing.  All of our postponed plans vanished in an instant.  I don't suppose I'll ever be okay with that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Somewhat related OP. Good watch.

-I just saw this guy in person last Friday.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I never got to do that with my Dad
One of the things I am looking forward to most once I start my own clan
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Doc,

Was there ever a time before his alcoholism that you remember?

Do you know what might have triggered it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine is a shitbag drunk, NEVER got toplay catch or shoot the shit without his bullshit.

Fuck him and seriously hope he dies alone.

Doc,

Was there ever a time before his alcoholism that you remember?

Do you know what might have triggered it?

Not a time before his shitbaggery drunken worthless ass.  There was a month time period before his fat fucking crazy now wife showed up.
Now it has been a going on triple decade of even more shit baggery than before.

I got to know a sober sane asshole for a whole whopping four fucking days.   What ever fatherly bridges he had they have long been burned.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Be glad your dad still cares about having a relationship with you.

Mine never wanted to hang out, much less toss a ball.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mine is a shitbag drunk, NEVER got toplay catch or shoot the shit without his bullshit.

Fuck him and seriously hope he dies alone.
View Quote

sorry to hear that, just because someone is able to reproduce doesn't make them fit to be a parent.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#12]
This is about 1 year ago to the day. The very last time I shot with my dad, cancer took him a month later. I gave him that Colt WWII Reissue for Christmas 4 years ago and he had never fired it. I begged him to fire a mag out of it... the brass sits in the box with the gun and will go to my nephew, born 10 days after his grandfather died.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:43:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I respect it
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What happened?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Played catch with Dad about 3 years ago.  It was fun and we had some great laughs.

Wish he was able to do it now

What happened?

He dislocated his shoulder last year and when it was reset, the DR. fucked it up and now he has about 45% mobility in it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is about 1 year ago to the day. The very last time I shot with my dad, cancer took him a month later. I gave him that Colt WWII Reissue for Christmas 4 years ago and he had never fired it. I begged him to fire a mag out of it... the brass sits in the box with the gun and will go to my nephew, born 10 days after his grandfather died.  

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4897/kt8n.jpg

View Quote

That is a good picture Whitehorse.

You have a look in your eyes that you are proud of your Dad and that you are happy.

The look in his eyes is that he is proud of you. I`ll bet he was a great guy!

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You have a look in your eyes that you are proud of your Dad and that you are happy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4897/kt8n.jpg

Thanks man... he sure was.  Play catch with your dad, even if it's just a Nerf ball in the living room while you're watching the playoffs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Do as much as you can with him.
I would give anything to be able to do the same, but I can't anymore and I'm only 27.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#18]
My dad calls me when he has a tree problem.. and he REALLY dislikes them. Lopping off branches, pole saws.. I let him rake the leaves and sweetgum balls though, I'm a great kid
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Do whatever you can to spend time with family.

My Dad died this passed Saturday, at age 81. I'm only 28 years-old, and I'll have to spend the rest of my life without my best friend. I have zero desire to hunt or fish anymore, but will continue to collect firearms. It was the one thing that always brought us together.

I spent as much time as I could with him, but it still wasn't enough. I'd love to play catch one more time.

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#20]
This is one of the absolute, most depressing threads I've read here in GD in years.  I wish I could do or say something to make some of you fellas feel better.  

I hate reading about the pain some of you are feeling.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would give anything to be able to do the same, but I can't anymore and I'm only 27.
View Quote

How old is your Dad?

Is he still around?

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do whatever you can to spend time with family.

My Dad died this passed Saturday, at age 81. I'm only 28 years-old, and I'll have to spend the rest of my life without my best friend. I have zero desire to hunt or fish anymore, but will continue to collect firearms. It was the one thing that always brought us together.

I spent as much time as I could with him
, but it still wasn't enough. I'd love to play catch one more time.

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/user/Havensim/media/Dad39_zps160f022d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii165/Havensim/Dad39_zps160f022d.jpg</a>
View Quote

Strange how losing someone close can take the wind out of your sails.

Eventually, the wind does return.....just sometimes, it takes awhile.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is one of the absolute, most depressing threads I've read here in GD in years.  I wish I could do or say something to make some of you fellas feel better.

I hate reading about the pain some of you are feeling.
View Quote

"Disgruntled former GySgt of Marines".

I don`t know what you have experienced but it is good to know that you still have a heart and haven`t grown cold to everything around you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How old is your Dad?

Is he still around?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old is your Dad?

Is he still around?

He would have turned 50 in May.
No he's not with us anymore.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old is your Dad?

Is he still around?

I`m sorry Kleinman.

For those around you that you care about, let them know how much you love and appreciate them while they are still around.

One day, you...or they....won`t be.

It`s the little things. It really is.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#26]

My dad drives in twice a year with a load of New Orleans shrimp and puts on a big shrimp boil.
He gave me his cooker last time he came in.  Kind of concerned me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#27]

I need to do more with my 23 year old son.
We have a gap between us that I have trouble breaking through.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I wish I could talk with mine, next month he'll be gone 20 years, I miss his so much
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Funny you mention it.   My dad just left.     I got too see him more in the last several weeks than in the past 20 years.  

I kept hoping that we would have some profound conversation or memorable moments, but it was just everyday stuff.  He helped me replace a water heater, build a closet, that type of stuff.  

He's a 1960's style libtard, and pretty annoying in a lot of ways, but he's a good man, and my Father.

He's old and not in great health.  I pray that I get the chance to spend more time with him.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My dad drives in twice a year with a load of New Orleans shrimp and puts on a big shrimp boil.
He gave me his cooker last time he came in.  Kind of concerned me.
View Quote

Sometimes makes you wonder when things like that happen.

It makes you wonder if they know that they won`t be around much longer or something.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I need to do more with my 23 year old son.
We have a gap between us that I have trouble breaking through.
View Quote

Don`t feel like you aren`t the only parent to ever feel this my friend.

What is going on? Care to share?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wish I could talk with mine, next month he'll be gone 20 years, I miss his so much
View Quote

What would you like to tell him if he was still around?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks for pointing out my failures in my relationship with my family, jackass.
View Quote

To fail is to never have tried.

What do you mean Eukatae?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top