Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The bar is just more lawyers. They can have a black and white he fucked you and they wont do dick.

Please list for me your experiences with the ABA.  Your statement is astronomically ignorant of the actual disciplinary process.

Divorce.
Her lawyer lied to the court.
I proved it.
Nothing happens.
Bar does dick.
My lawyer with held evidence of other lawyer lying to the court.
Bar did dick.

There was a time when a lawyer in Texas could rape clients and not be sanctioned by the bar.  A lot has changed in Texas in the last 30 years.

A lot of the problem was that the bar was really unaware in many cases of how unethical people had gotten.  I remember one old fellow commenting that he was really shocked that lawyers were doing drugs.  This was 1983, when a large part of the legal community in Austin was fueled by cocaine, and the old guy was really surprised.

A new generation (literally) is in now and they are handling things much more aggressively (at least in Texas) than they used to.

ETA:

In Texas, today, the serious, written threat of a properly worded complaint sent certified through the US mail and signed for should be enough to light a fire under this guy.  If it isn't, he has other issues, from being overworked to personal issues, potentially substance abuse.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Eh.

You don't need a lawyer to write a letter to the county clerk's office to get something expunged or sealed.  Although its nice to have that letter come from the lawyer, you can probably find what you need to include in the letter from the internet and/or your local library.

But since you paid the lawyer as you claim, and he hasn't completed his end of the bargain, I'd go to the bar, and the BBB as well.  If your lawyer is ignoring you, he's sick of your crap and its obvious he isn't playing nice anymore.  Neither should you!   He had his chance the first two times, after that nice goes out the door.

Guess its too hard for people to return a phone call sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
You should definitely listen to the ARFcomers telling you to file a complaint with the state bar.  Lawyers absolutely hate this!!  The state bar can and will revoke the lawyers license and instantly put him out of business.

Keep in mind that they will do nothing if you complain that your case didn't turn out the way you wanted.  Lose a lawsuit or get convicted of a crime, it happens.  Every court case has a winner and a loser.  Not their problem.  What the state bar is concerned with mostly is "due diligence."  Basically, did the lawyer do everything he could working on your case.  When something goes wrong and the lawyer won't even return your phone calls, that is a classic case of failing due diligence and the lawyer is about to receive a large dose of Surprise State Bar Buttsecks.

You probably won't have to actually file a grievance to get results.  Usually just the mere threat of a complaint will light a fire under his ass.  For instance, I was having a problem getting to talk to a lawyer who handled a work comp case for me over 10 years ago.  All I was trying to do was get the standard follow-up MRI that my neurosurgeon wanted to schedule, and the insurance company decided to ignore my victorious trial judgment and several court orders and tell me to FOAD.  The problem is the lawyer got paid a lump sum fee by the courts back around the turn of the century and now since there's no billable time in it for him doesn't even want to bother making a threatening phone call to the insurance company on my behalf.  The receptionist (under instructions, I'm convinced) wouldn't even let me talk to the lawyer, and instead decided to argue with me over the phone about how making insurance companies provide court-mandated medical treatments is not something a work comp lawyer does.

Now, in retrospect I admit I that probably shouldn't have told her "Shut your fucking pie hole you stupid cunt!!!"  But regardless of that, she was danger of getting her bosses law license pulled by refusing to transfer my calls and hanging up on me.  So after getting shut out for several days I called and quickly blurted out that since I can't talk to my lawyer I'm filing a complaint with the the state bar that day!!   All of a sudden she said "Please hold...." and a few seconds later my previously unavailable lawyer picks up the phone "Hey Erik!  How's it going?" like I was his new best friend.

That was a couple of years ago, and even though I only made the threat once, I still get through on the phone, and he even sees me right away when I drop by his office unannounced.  He still reminds me that he's doing all this works for free, but he does it.  It's truly amazing the effect of saying the words "state bar" had on his attitude.

If you can't get a response from your lawyer, I'd find a way of leaving him a message - answering machine, email, text, etc. - and say that you really need him to look into this situation otherwise you'll have to ask the state bar for assistance.  I bet your phone will ring within minutes of leaving that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top