User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Who cares?

Jesus, just post another OBL IS DEAD thread and go along with the crowd.

No, lets not; 90% of the existing threads on OBL need to be locked now so that we can get some sanity back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I blame Blonde

Ditto.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I blame Blonde

Ditto.

I've been hearing this all my adult life...who invented this fairy tale that Blondie invented rap?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If we are going that route, then I have to point out that the rednecks were ripping off Dylan, he Recorded Subterranean Homesick Blues long before that type of singing became popular in Country music. Of course one could also point out that lyrics spoken rather than sang, to the rhythm of a song was common in the Delta Blues as early as the twenties, probably earlier than that, but in those days "black" music was rarely recorded or written about in white publications.

I find it easier to believe rap came out of scat than to believe some inner-city kids decided to emulate Red Sovine.

Syntax edit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think you can blame a lot of shitty things on southerners, but rap isn't one of them.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I blame Blonde

Ditto.

I've been hearing this all my adult life...who invented this fairy tale that Blondie invented rap?

I remember Grand Master Flash & TFF, as a kid, and Blondie too.    I was born in 68, so I just remember hearing all kinds of stupid shit.

The Blondie thing was more of a tongue in cheek thing.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Dumb thread is dumb.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't Charlie Daniels was on stage grabbing his crotch and spitting into his mic.

Are we talking about music or baseball?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They didn't invent rap, but theirs was the first mainstream song that brought rap to the awareness of many people outside of inner city urban areas.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't invent rap, but theirs was the first mainstream song that brought rap to the awareness of many people outside of inner city urban areas.

Actually it was rappers delight by the sugar hill gang 2 years earlier...i went to a lily white private school and I remember it. But yeah I guess there are a few that didnt hear about it until blondie

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They both have jazz and soul origins, and there was considerable cross-over between the two.

I'd say they have common ancestors, not necessarily one preceding the other.

I totally agree.  But I think its improper for one group to claim total credit when others have obviously contributed to the genre.

Obviously the urban influence has evolved it but the origins are the same.

I find it hard to believe any Urban Yoots overheard a CDB album and were thus influenced to rap.  This would pretty much be key to tracing "origins."  Rap is also not necessarily hip hop, and vice versa.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why is it, hip hop artists, or rap artists, tend to refer to themselves in the third person, repeatedly, in many of their tracks?

Do this in your head:  Hum Master of Puppets or Battery, and then say, "METALLICA nah nah nah nah METALLICA."  Doesn't that sound ridiculous?   How about some country, "Here she comes, a walking talking true love, saying I've been looking for you, love; SUPRISE GEORGE STRAIT, out of a blue clear sky."

Ironically, the Charlie Daniels band did that quite a bit in the '70s.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well sure and, MTV didn't "invent" the rock video either...

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream Video 1966.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmKy6ANmyM&feature=fvwrel

What the heck () while I'm on herb Alpert how 'bout some "Spanish Flea"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAzR2QyPCI&feature=related
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hip Hop music was invented by two German guys from Düsseldorf named Florian Schneider and Ralf Hütter around 1978.

Kraftwerk was not hip hop

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it was rappers delight by the sugar hill gang 2 years earlier...i went to a lily white private school and I remember it. But yeah I guess there are a few that didnt hear about it until blondie

Sugar Hill Gang was an actual rap group, and I don't recall them getting a whole lot of airplay in the classic rock era. Blondie was an established pop act whose use of rap was unique up to that point.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Rap "concerts" are more offshoots of the old negro minstrel shows back around the turn of the 20th century.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sugar Hill Gang was an actual rap group, and I don't recall them getting a whole lot of airplay in the classic rock era. Blondie was an established pop act whose use of rap was unique up to that point.

Unique to the mainstream music audience, and what marketers thought would sell, maybe.  I would argue that well into the early '50s, behind the scenes where "white" and black" acts were not so conveniently divided, you will find the origins - and you can see traits of those combined origins in mainstream stuff in music from Rockabilly to Doo Wop.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe you are insane.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hip Hop music was invented by two German guys from Düsseldorf named Florian Schneider and Ralf Hütter around 1978.

Awesome. Agreed.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Missisippie Fred Mc Dowell,Missippie John Holt,Lightning Hopkins and others that would talk while playing raither than just singing!

Bob
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well sure and, MTV didn't "invent" the rock video either...

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream Video 1966.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmKy6ANmyM&feature=fvwrel

What the heck () while I'm on herb Alpert how 'bout some "Spanish Flea"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAzR2QyPCI&feature=related

How about a little rap and Herb Alpert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMAfKo65nng

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wasn't rap popular among inner city youths long before it started getting popular?

Remember the song Rapture by Debbie Harry?  It was referencing rap going on in the

inner cities, I think rap has been around a lot longer than most realize.

70s at least.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top