Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Nicely done!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen two references to Oak & Mesquite.

Could y'all tell me why? Mesquite I get, it's a bold flavor and it won't overpower beef. I don't get the Oak, I used Hickory yesterday and flavor wise it came out fantastic. (I ran the smoker too hot, first time cooking brisket at home)

Why do y'all prefer Oak?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen two references to Oak & Mesquite.

Why do y'all prefer Oak?
View Quote
As Zhukov pointed out, it's the traditional wood here in central Texas.  We have a lot of it, and it's a solid choice.

I grew up in South Texas, where everything was cooked with mesquite, so I use a lot of that too. A buddy of mine is on a competitive BBQ team - he hates mesquite because he says it's too strong a flavor and judges don't like it.  I personally love it, and always thought weaker men deserved weaker BBQ.

That said, over the years I've gotten tired of hauling mesquite from down South a half ton at a time to satisfy my BBQ habit, and started using oak more. Truth be told, my favorite BBQ wood is actually pecan, but it is a wimpy wood and it takes a ton of it to smoke anything. A 50/50 mix of oak and pecan is nice, though.  That's become my go-to, but my source for unlimited pecan wood has dried up (I need to make some new friends, sigh).  ETA mesquite and pecan are a nice mix too.

I've messed around with fruit woods (apple, peach, cherry mostly) and they're ok, but special purpose only IMO (great for cold smoking bacon or sausage).  The smell of cherry smoke is my second favorite next to pecan. I could damn near take bong hits of pecan smoke...

Hickory is a nice, hard, hot burning wood like mesquite. I like it, but I think mesquite does everything hickory does but better (and I can get it by the truckload for free).  That's just personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good to me. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Here's a pic from a place in Houston I went to a couple weekend ago:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136311/IMG_0594-286208.JPG

They must have put it on a hot flame after smoking.  It has a crispy goodness to it.
View Quote
Oh, my
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
thats look so good
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As Zhukov pointed out, it's the traditional wood here in central Texas.  We have a lot of it, and it's a solid choice.

I grew up in South Texas, where everything was cooked with mesquite, so I use a lot of that too. A buddy of mine is on a competitive BBQ team - he hates mesquite because he says it's too strong a flavor and judges don't like it.  I personally love it, and always thought weaker men deserved weaker BBQ.

That said, over the years I've gotten tired of hauling mesquite from down South a half ton at a time to satisfy my BBQ habit, and started using oak more. Truth be told, my favorite BBQ wood is actually pecan, but it is a wimpy wood and it takes a ton of it to smoke anything. A 50/50 mix of oak and pecan is nice, though.  That's become my go-to, but my source for unlimited pecan wood has dried up (I need to make some new friends, sigh).  ETA mesquite and pecan are a nice mix too.

I've messed around with fruit woods (apple, peach, cherry mostly) and they're ok, but special purpose only IMO (great for cold smoking bacon or sausage).  The smell of cherry smoke is my second favorite next to pecan. I could damn near take bong hits of pecan smoke...

Hickory is a nice, hard, hot burning wood like mesquite. I like it, but I think mesquite does everything hickory does but better (and I can get it by the truckload for free).  That's just personal preference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Oak is what is traditionally used in central TX. 
Thanks guys!

I'm from Tennessee obviously, it's mainly hickory here and it's my favorite by a long shot, it's that classic BBQ taste as far as I'm concerned.

I went with mesquite for the brisket out of tradition and I didn't regret it. Slightly harsher, more pungent smoke flavor, but not bitter or overpowering. I'll use it with hickory for now and I'll see about testing out some oak down the road.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks great.

Was it as tender as it looks?

How long and what temp?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top