User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What makes it worth the wait?

Seriously, nothing about it appears special just by looking at the pic.

Agreed...  in fact, kinda looks cheesy.  But if OP is happy....
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I want one.

This. Maybe not that particular model but I'd like a Randall knife just on principle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You can't go wrong with a good old K-Bar; but the scardie cats won't let you carry one in Texas as they might shit in their pants if they see it on your hip.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You can't go wrong with a good old K-Bar; but the scardie cats won't let you carry one in Texas as they might shit in their pants if they see it on your hip.

I carry a short K-Bar occasionally.  It has a 5.25" blade.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bet it is not parked under the handle...

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I know lots of people who order the more desirable knives and configurations, order the max per year, and then sell them for a profit. I did it three times and sold them to friends at cost because I'm a schmuck.

There is nothing "special" about a Randall except it's name and the wait time, they are great knives though.

I'll take a Chris Reeves over anything.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to name it.  Every great knife deserves a name, like Mike.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Lucky bastard.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
A five year wait isn't that bad. I've had two guns at a gunsmith's shop since 2004.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking piece of steel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#11]
If I had known that you were talking about a knife instead of a firearm, I think that it is unlikely that I would have even opened the thread.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

the name
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#13]
you sir owe the masses gun pR0n now!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
That Bushmaster I would wait 5 years for, not the other...
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A five year wait isn't that bad. I've had two guns at a gunsmith's shop since 2004.  

Seriously?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

8 years?  In that amount of time, I could make a gun, by hand, with a file and block of steel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't know. I've owned numerous Randall's and I've never seen what made them worth a 5 year wait.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Knife guys are weird.

I spent $500 on a MicroTech and I do not use it because I am afraid that the blade will get scratched or the OTF spring will break...

While it's not that expensive, I spent $150 on a $39 Buck 110. The switchblade conversion adds $110 to the price of the knife.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If I had known that you were talking about a knife instead of a firearm, I think that it is unlikely that I would have even opened the thread.

Yet you took the time to post anyways.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

8 years?  In that amount of time, I could make a gun, by hand, with a file and block of steel.

I was going to say something similar.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

On the 10th. there will be a raffle for one , maybe this will be my lucky year
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
walmart has the same knife for $ 29.95

You owe me a new keyboard. I just spit up Ezra Brooks and coke all over the desktop.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Blah blah blah about that knife and all,
but I'm more interested in the backsplash.  When using a staggered mosiac like that, do you have to account for more tile waste than normal?  I have 14" tall backsplash, and plan on using tile like that, but I have a sickening feeling that I'm going to burn through a lot of wasted tile when trying to fill up the upper 2" when I try to fit that staggered pattern with fractions of a 12"x12" sheet.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Randalls are Randalls

Jane  (7-1, 7 mini, 25-6, 10-3)
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Misleading title is....misleading

No kidding

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#27]
damn beautiful knife. It's a knife for your lifetime and two others. hope you got kids to hand it down to, if not, I'm available for adoption.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#28]
That's a nice knife, but FIVE FUCKING YEARS?

I have a couple of months backlog of work right now. I'm looking to expand. I need a bigger facility. I'll need to train new people. If I had a five year backlog, I would cry myself to sleep every night from shame because I was giving my customers piss-poor service.

Unless there was some cachet to my brand where people paid extra for bad service. "Yeah, I have to ship my Lamborgini back to Italy to have the oil changed. It costs me $16,000. I have to schedule six months ahead of time because there are only four factory certified lubrication technicians in the world, but it's totally worth it."
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have a couple of months backlog of work right now. I'm looking to expand. I need a bigger facility. I'll need to train new people. If I had a five year backlog, I would cry myself to sleep every night from shame because I was giving my customers piss-poor service.

Unless there was some cachet to my brand where people paid extra for bad service. "Yeah, I have to ship my Lamborgini back to Italy to have the oil changed. It costs me $16,000. I have to schedule six months ahead of time because there are only four factory certified lubrication technicians in the world, but it's totally worth it."

People don't buy a Randall because they need a knife; they buy a Randall because they want a Randall.

Jane

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
what you did there... I want it...

- Clint

Ok...now it's fixed...
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People don't buy a Randall because they need a knife; they buy a Randall because they want a Randall.

Jane

The name doesn't imbue some mystical quality into the steel

I don't believe I've ever said it did.  When you buy a Randall, you're not buying only a knife, you're buying classic Americana and a piece of the legend.

Jane

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I like the looks, it's a beautiful piece.

Not my cup of tea even if I had the dough though. I'd rather spend the money on ammo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#35]
No prices on the website.  Google says prices start at $320.

5 year wait and at least $320?  Not looking like something I'm going to get into.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

When someone posts a pic of a Ferrari you don't post "what makes it worth that much money?  you just shut up enjoy it.

This is one of those times.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No prices on the website.  Google says prices start at $320.

5 year wait and at least $320?  Not looking like something I'm going to get into.

That may be what google says, but if you want a randall, and you want it now, you can pretty much expect to pay 1.5-2x what randall charges.

I'm reasonably sure I could sell the number 1 sitting in front of me right now for $700 on ebay and it wouldn't last a day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:47:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Sharp looking knife...
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Wow, I thought 18 months for a Springfield Armory Pro was bad!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:05:32 AM EDT
[#40]
The first Randall I owned, I bought it right out of their showroom display case. And it was a Model 1, but with a few different features. Circa 1995-ish. Back then, the wait times were around 2 years. But even then, I always wondered, how could they have backorders, but still have blades available for sale in the store?

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:07:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
walmart has the same knife for $ 29.95

lol

gr
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The first Randall I owned, I bought it right out of their showroom display case. And it was a Model 1, but with a few different features. Circa 1995-ish. Back then, the wait times were around 2 years. But even then, I always wondered, how could they have backorders, but still have blades available for sale in the store?

They often sell knives that were ordered, finally produced, but the original buyer failed to pay for.

You do not pay for the knife upfront.  You give a $50 deposit when placing your order.  Balance is due by production date.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When someone posts a pic of a Ferrari you don't post "what makes it worth that much money?  you just shut up enjoy it.

Yeah, except the difference is every person on the planet knows what a Ferrari is, thus making it a recognizable status symbol.

Not many people know wtf a Randall knife is. I'm not a knife person and it looks like a cheesy walmart/gunshow knife to me.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:05:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit. Should have got one from DamascusKnifeMaker here. He makes some BAD ASS blades.

]It's a Randall.  If you are a collector, the name has an intrinsic value in itself.

The name doesn't necessarily mean a better blade, but its just the same as anything else.........two products can be equal in quality, but a "perceived" history of quality can bring a premium vs. a newer maker.

So it's the Colt of the knife world?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, except the difference is every person on the planet knows what a Ferrari is, thus making it a recognizable status symbol.

Not many people know wtf a Randall knife is. I'm not a knife person and it looks like a cheesy walmart/gunshow knife to me.

Summer before last at a flea market with a friend of mine I walked past a table of stuff an old woman had setup. My friend buys knives, I look for gun stuff and clocks. I noticed a knife and waved to my friend a few tables back and pointed at the table with the knife and walked on.

He looked at it and asked how much, she said $40. My friend is always quick to offer half of whatever is asked and she said "that fine" and took his $20.

We got in my truck to leave and he got out the knife to look at it and said "not bad for an old hunting knife". I took it to look it over and saw it was a Randall. I couldn't believe he didn't know what he had bought. I thought an evil thought to offer him twice what he paid...but didn't. He was very happy after he got home and did some google searches.

I wish that I had stopped and looked at it better.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I carry a short K-Bar occasionally.  It has a 5.25" blade.  

I carry one all the time. the blade is about an inch and a half
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not many people know wtf a Randall knife is....

what he said
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Very nice! Looks like it was well worth the wait.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Well, now you both do!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not many people know wtf a Randall knife is....

what he said

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Nice knife.

5 year wait? NFA would be a breeze for you.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top