User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...A-PEG though, smooth or rough though?
View Quote

ETA: Shit, just realized you said for a MATEN... These are for the ar15... I guess "The Extended version fills the “gap” in AR10-platform receivers" I don't know if the maten has a "gap! heh

Rough!

IM me your address and I'll send you one free of charge (Obviously) next friday/saturday

You can have your choice of FDE, Black, or OD green (black has been installed, and box thrown away, but it's as new as the others! lol)

They're great grips, and the rough really isn't too "rough" IMO

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There's a former USMC officer who is a member here that was part of the team that developed the M16A2.  He has responded extensively in threads asking that question in the retro forum and A2 forums on the site.  There's a lot of info here and people you normally would never get under the same roof.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the point of the nub anyway?

There's a former USMC officer who is a member here that was part of the team that developed the M16A2.  He has responded extensively in threads asking that question in the retro forum and A2 forums on the site.  There's a lot of info here and people you normally would never get under the same roof.

Here is one thread where coldblue talked about the M16A2 development. Probably one of my favorite threads.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
MOE+ for me
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]

I don't have that many but I'll throw mine in for nothing.

Quoted:
OP, I have about forty A2 grips I'll sell you for a dollar each.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
a2 grip goes straight in the trash.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just give them to my dog, they make outstanding chew toys...last a long time with a dog that normaly destroys stuff.
View Quote

AWESOME! Must try this.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Here is one thread where coldblue talked about the M16A2 development. Probably one of my favorite threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the point of the nub anyway?

Agreed
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is a report from the US ARMY Research Institute dated February 1986. It does not mention much about why the improvements were made to the pistol grip, other than what has already been mentioned in this post. Analysis of M16A2 Rifle Characteristics and Recommended Improvements
View Quote

That's pretty interesting, thanks for posting that.  I agree with essentially everything there.  Some of their critique is still applicable to current weapon systems.
View Quote

Yeah, I just read this in its entirety. Cliff notes: M16A2 is garbage and a waste of money. M16A1 is what we want and will give us better performance.

I did find it interesting that XM855 was 48 cents per round, whereas he listed M193 "available locally" for 14 cents per round. (Those were the days, eh?)
View Quote

The report (done by a hired contractor) was a real hose job per the direction "we can't let the Marines make us look this bad...".
To be brief:
1. Some in the Army had real bad heartburn that we Marines were "doing their job" by fixing known A1 deficiencies.
2. The test lot of M855 ammo used in the early 1980's tests was so defective prone it was thought to have been sabotaged in favor of Picatinny's M777 round which had the M855's (actually the Belgian SS109's) steel insert, but was stabilized by the A1's 1:12 twist, ergo, not barrel change required to conform with NATO.
Canada came to the rescue as the first test was terminated because of the bad Lake City crap ammo and delivered 10's of thousands of Belgian SS109 which was used to repeat the testing and proved superior to the A1 testing in all respects.  (Something ignored by these report writers.)
3. If I wanted to take the time, I can counter every one of their listed deficiencies.

Bottom line is, the Army did not agree with this report and adopted the A2 and it became the standard service rifle.
Nuf said!

And on the A2 grip, I actually built the first two (using Bondo) in my shop at Picatinny, and then Colt used them to prototype the production item.
So now you know who to blame.
The only part of the A2 program I regret was the longer buttstock, that ironically the Army's Human Engineering Lab endorsed; and of course the 3-round burst control.  But adding the burst control "saved" a degree of full-auto capability that was planed to be eliminated as the SAW was going to replace the automatic rifle in the fire teams.  And the provisioning of belted SAW ammo aboard amphibious shipping supporting 27 SAW's in each Marine Infantry Company was displacing tons of "rifle pack-out" 5.56 to the point that a 3-day supply was adversely effected.  The SAW ammo pack-out of 800 rounds taking the same cubic space as 1680 rifle pack-out 5.56 in stripper clips and bandoliers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A1 grip > A2 grip.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
]Barrel needs more free float.

View Quote

Not this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is a report from the US ARMY Research Institute dated February 1986. It does not mention much about why the improvements were made to the pistol grip, other than what has already been mentioned in this post. Analysis of M16A2 Rifle Characteristics and Recommended Improvements

That's pretty interesting, thanks for posting that.  I agree with essentially everything there.  Some of their critique is still applicable to current weapon systems.

Yeah, I just read this in its entirety. Cliff notes: M16A2 is garbage and a waste of money. M16A1 is what we want and will give us better performance.

I did find it interesting that XM855 was 48 cents per round, whereas he listed M193 "available locally" for 14 cents per round. (Those were the days, eh?)

The report (done by a hired contractor) was a real hose job per the direction "we can't let the Marines make us look this bad...".
To be brief:
1. Some in the Army had real bad heartburn that we Marines were "doing their job" by fixing known A1 deficiencies.
2. The test lot of M855 ammo used in the early 1980's tests was so defective prone it was thought to have been sabotaged in favor of Picatinny's M777 round which had the M855's (actually the Belgian SS109's) steel insert, but was stabilized by the A1's 1:12 twist, ergo, not barrel change required to conform with NATO.
Canada came to the rescue as the first test was terminated because of the bad Lake City crap ammo and delivered 10's of thousands of Belgian SS109 which was used to repeat the testing and proved superior to the A1 testing in all respects.  (Something ignored by these report writers.)
3. If I wanted to take the time, I can counter every one of their listed deficiencies.

Bottom line is, the Army did not agree with this report and adopted the A2 and it became the standard service rifle.
Nuf said!

And on the A2 grip, I actually built the first two (using Bondo) in my shop at Picatinny, and then Colt used them to prototype the production item.
So now you know who to blame.
The only part of the A2 program I regret was the longer buttstock, that ironically the Army's Human Engineering Lab endorsed; and of course the 3-round burst control.  But adding the burst control "saved" a degree of full-auto capability that was planed to be eliminated as the SAW was going to replace the automatic rifle in the fire teams.  And the provisioning of belted SAW ammo aboard amphibious shipping supporting 27 SAW's in each Marine Infantry Company was displacing tons of "rifle pack-out" 5.56 to the point that a 3-day supply was adversely effected.  The SAW ammo pack-out of 800 rounds taking the same cubic space as 1680 rifle pack-out 5.56 in stripper clips and bandoliers.

That is fascinating. I always sort of thought it had something to do with supporting the trigger guard when it was moved down for gloves, doesn't make that much sense though when you actually think about it when it's in front of you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm one of the weirdos that likes the A2 grip. I've used several different other grips, but I really find the A2 fits my hand perfectly.

I have it on all my ARs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I would rather spend the money on ammo and training than shitloads of aftermarket parts.  I have several rifles with A2 grips, and one rifle with some sort of aftermarket grip on it, not sure what it is and I never paid attention to it.  I got it used, I tend to build my rifles from bargain bin and EE parts on the cheap so it was one that just happened to be really cheap lol.  They let me handle and shoot the rifle just fine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm one of the weirdos that likes the A2 grip. I've used several different other grips, but I really find the A2 fits my hand perfectly.

I have it on all my ARs.
View Quote

agreed.  love it.  to each his own... *shrug*
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Always hated the stock A2 grip.  All my rifles have the old Lone Star Stowaway grips on them.
I prefer the original ones without the finger groove.  Always buy em whenever I see em.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#16]
nope

A1 over A2 but aftermarket first.

Ergo, MOE, K2 depending on the build
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ETA: Shit, just realized you said for a MATEN... These are for the ar15... I guess "The Extended version fills the “gap” in AR10-platform receivers" I don't know if the maten has a "gap! heh

Rough!

IM me your address and I'll send you one free of charge (Obviously) next friday/saturday

You can have your choice of FDE, Black, or OD green (black has been installed, and box thrown away, but it's as new as the others! lol)

<a href="http://s972.photobucket.com/user/slowkota1/media/20150501_132507_zpsx9cpl0eg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae202/slowkota1/20150501_132507_zpsx9cpl0eg.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...A-PEG though, smooth or rough though?

Rough!

<a href="http://s972.photobucket.com/user/slowkota1/media/20150501_132507_zpsx9cpl0eg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae202/slowkota1/20150501_132507_zpsx9cpl0eg.jpg</a>

You're awesome man! Black is good. Any ar15 grip is supposed to fit the Maten just fine, we'll see! IM inbound. Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's no part of the AR I hate more than the A2 grip and that stupid nub.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Funny you say that...

Before I removed the finger grooves, and stippled my glock... I practiced on one of the many A2 grips I had! I didn't finish stippling it, but felt confident enough to tackle my brand new glock frame

I might finish stippling it, and install it to see how it feels!

<a href="http://s972.photobucket.com/user/slowkota1/media/20150501_113957_zps7pvhwabr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae202/slowkota1/20150501_113957_zps7pvhwabr.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you say that...

Before I removed the finger grooves, and stippled my glock... I practiced on one of the many A2 grips I had! I didn't finish stippling it, but felt confident enough to tackle my brand new glock frame

<a href="http://s972.photobucket.com/user/slowkota1/media/20150501_113957_zps7pvhwabr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae202/slowkota1/20150501_113957_zps7pvhwabr.jpg</a>

My ARX-100 has an A2 style grip, with that stupid bump in it. And you can't swap the grip for something else. I'll grind it off one day. I've seen someone do it... it's solid under there, so no worries there. Just gotta make sure I can do it without buggering up the rest of the grip or having it end up looking like smashed assholes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]
The person that designed the A2 grip:
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
fuck the A2 pistol grip
View Quote

My sentiments exactly.  I prefer the MOE at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I don't mind the A2 grip, but I don't care for the numb and its a bit too small for my hands.  I prefer a MIAD or MOE grip on my rifles.
View Quote
Nub forces my bird finger up against the trigger guard and if I'm really working hard I'll end up cutting a chunk out of my finger every time.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

x1000

the grip is also too thin for me, any good idea of wrapping rubber over it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Had to use them for a couple of years and never cared for them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I hate the A1/A2 grip. Any movement at all and my hand slides up hitting the safety and the rifle no longer shoots obviously.

I used the Hogue grip until the Moe+ came along.  Now I won't use anything else.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh God. lol It's all starting to make sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you say that...

Oh God. lol It's all starting to make sense.

You just hush!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry, OP. The nub blows chunks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#31]
The A2 is more like a bicycle handlebar grip, what "pistol" was it modeled after?
Too skinny.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#32]
The last thing I care to bother with is changing the grip.  It does what it needs to do just fine.  Considering the rifle has 3 points of stability for shooting, the grip could be a piece of broken PVC and you should be able to shoot it as well as the best grip on the market.  IMO, a wasted accessory.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The last thing I care to bother with is changing the grip.  It does what it needs to do just fine.  Considering the rifle has 3 points of stability for shooting, the grip could be a piece of broken PVC and you should be able to shoot it as well as the best grip on the market.  IMO, a wasted accessory.
View Quote

I like aftermarket grips for the storage, not just how they feel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone remember when a pistol grip was "evil?"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top