Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Congrats!  What firearm(s) will you be issued?

H&K P2000's
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I may see you down there Mike_Hawk, I got the call tonight. Yuma Sector, May 29th. 14 days on the button to get squared away. 11 months for all paperwork, physical, etc. and i got 2 frickin' weeks. I'll be the one jumping off the bus, Tackleberry style, yelling "Where do we get the guns."

mfn
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I may see you down there Mike_Hawk, I got the call tonight. Yuma Sector, May 29th. 14 days on the button to get squared away. 11 months for all paperwork, physical, etc. and i got 2 frickin' weeks. I'll be the one jumping off the bus, Tackleberry style, yelling "Where do we get the guns."

mfn

Oh boy, extremely bad idea.  What station in Yuma Sector, Yuma, Welton or Blythe?
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Oh, almost forgot, what class number will you be in at the Academy?

Link Posted: 5/17/2008 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

mfn

Haha, good luck!

Let me know when you get down here, I'll be here until mid-September. And go hit up honorfirst.com if you haven't already. Lots of good info there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, so on Thursday we did defensive tactics. We had out duty belts on and everything. We were taught how to stand in a FI stance (Field Interrogation) and a fighting stance. The instructor told us to blade at a 45* angle and stressed the importance of it. No joke. I laughed pretty hard on the inside, followed by a massive adrenaline dump, of course, since people were messing up and we got smoked pretty badly
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#7]

ETA: Boulevard station,

Ahh....very nice,  I have caught alot of illegals there over the last eight years or so.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mfn

Oh boy, extremely bad idea.  What station in Yuma Sector, Yuma, Welton or Blythe?

LOL. They told me to report to Yuma so i guess that is where it is. Class 778 here.

mfn
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

ETA: Boulevard station,

Ahh....very nice,  I have caught alot of illegals there over the last eight years or so.

Stay safe

Awesome, are you still there?

I hear the terrain is quite rough. True?
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

mfn

LOL. They told me to report to Yuma so i guess that is where it is. Class 778 here.

mfn

They should have told you what station you are going to, everyone EOD's at Yuma Sector Station regardless of the station they go too.  Good luck with the Academy, we need all the new guys we can get, even though our area is pretty dead these days.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in need of an electrolyte drink, WITHOUT high fructose corn syrup (I hate that stuff ) that would be available at a Super Wal-Mart. (Yeah, I know, but it's the only thing here in Artesia)

It's getting really hot here and I need to replenish what water doesn't. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]
whole foods / trader joes maybe??
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nothing like that here. The biggest thing here is literally Wal-Mart. That's the mall here
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing like that here. The biggest thing here is literally Wal-Mart. That's the mall here

Fed Ex??
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fed Ex??

Well I could get something shipped, but I'd like to avoid that unless absolutely necessary. And if so, do you know of any drinks?
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm in need of an electrolyte drink, WITHOUT high fructose corn syrup (I hate that stuff ) that would be available at a Super Wal-Mart. (Yeah, I know, but it's the only thing here in Artesia)

It's getting really hot here and I need to replenish what water doesn't. Any suggestions?

Replenish what water doesn't. What a joke. You'd need to be a world class athlete to require what's offered out of those fancy drinks. For the rest of us, water is just fine. You don't need the extra calories.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Crystal Light makes a hydration drink, sold in single serving packets for mixing with bottled water. No HFCS. Been using it for a year, and I'm pretty happy with it. Wally world stocks it.

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't go overboard on electrolyte fluids. Plenty of studies show that plain water, coupled with a good diet, is just as good....You really only need sodium and potassium in even the hottest weather, and you'll get plenty of each by just eating well balanced meals...Be sure to have a banana daily (high in Potassium)...

I spend 10 weeks in Artesia and ran 6 miles daily, and two summer tours in Iraq humping around in full battle-rattle and had no problems....Best of luck!
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Replenish what water doesn't. What a joke. You'd need to be a world class athlete to require what's offered out of those fancy drinks. For the rest of us, water is just fine. You don't need the extra calories.

Bullshit. Hyponatremia and hypokalemia are very real. SOmeone doing longterm daily exertion like PT under hot conditions can definately benefit from 'lyte replacements. They also tend to make folk consume more water overall.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit. Hyponatremia and hypokalemia are very real.

Well, in sick people who are pre-disposed to it, yeah.

Me and you? Water is fine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I agree. Personally, I'm a water drinker (and that's all I drink) and I avoid drinking those Gatorade-type drinks as much as possible. That said, they tell me I need to drink something like that and I can see why. The Academy PT isn't exactly a walk in the park and I've never sweated so much in my life. Dehydration is very easy around here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't go overboard on electrolyte fluids. Plenty of studies show that plain water, coupled with a good diet, is just as good....You really only need sodium and potassium in even the hottest weather, and you'll get plenty of each by just eating well balanced meals...Be sure to have a banana daily (high in Potassium)...

I spend 10 weeks in Artesia and ran 6 miles daily, and two summer tours in Iraq humping around in full battle-rattle and had no problems....Best of luck!

I won't. I don't ever really drink them anyways like I posted above. It would just be a supplement, maybe one glass a day. The free Powerade here is nice and all, but like I said, HFCS.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#23]
IIRC- water is fine for up to 90 minutes of EXERTION.
past 90 minutes and you need to supliment.
Check out the drinks for cyclists. -they come in a powdered mix.

www.mtbr.com/reviews/nutrition/
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crystal Light makes a hydration drink, sold in single serving packets for mixing with bottled water. No HFCS. Been using it for a year, and I'm pretty happy with it. Wally world stocks it.

www.kraftfoods.com/Images/ocpimages/43000/01565CL.gif

I'll check that out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a bit to dig up the studies, but in healthy individuals involved in physical exertion n hot climates, 'lyte replacement drinks increased endurance, decreased subjective fatigue and resulted in lower incidents of heat related illnesses. Can you get by with water? Sure, if your diet replaces the sodium nad potassium. Do sports drinks help? They sure seem to. Is there a down side to them? Not really, as long as you avoid overloading the gut.

Hydrating aggressively with pure water while actively losing sodium and potassium can lead to hypokalemia fairly quickly, even in healthy folk. I've treated weekend athletes with arrhythmias brought on by exactly that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a bit to dig up the studies, but in healthy individuals involved in physical exertion n hot climates, 'lyte replacement drinks increased endurance, decreased subjective fatigue and resulted in lower incidents of heat related illnesses. Can you get by with water? Sure, if your diet replaces the sodium nad potassium. Do sports drinks help? They sure seem to. Is there a down side to them? Not really, as long as you avoid overloading the gut.

You had better not show me a study put out by Gatorade
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hello ARFCOM, just thought I'd like to share. I started the process to become a Border Patrol Agent in September 2007. I finished all of my part and duties in December and waited to be scheduled for a duty station and Academy. A long wait with no idea, at all, of when I would be notified.

I got the call yesterday!

I'm thankfully only stationed an hour's drive away from home and I leave for the Academy on May 13.

ETA: Boulevard station, San Diego sector. Class 771.

Are you in the SDShooting group?
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If you go to the MTBR website you will see Hammer Nutrition products mentioned.  This is the stuff I use during my extended bike rides.  Here in south Florida one can work up quite a sweat in a 4 to 6 hour ride.  A lot of good information at the Hanner site too.

www.hammernutrition.com/
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
While usually reserved for Military, considering the invasion... Thanks for your service.

Amen!
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hello ARFCOM, just thought I'd like to share. I started the process to become a Border Patrol Agent in September 2007. I finished all of my part and duties in December and waited to be scheduled for a duty station and Academy. A long wait with no idea, at all, of when I would be notified.

I got the call yesterday!

I'm thankfully only stationed an hour's drive away from home and I leave for the Academy on May 13.

ETA: Boulevard station, San Diego sector. Class 771.

Are you in the SDShooting group?

Actually, yes I am
I go by the same/similar name.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you go to the MTBR website you will see Hammer Nutrition products mentioned.  This is the stuff I use during my extended bike rides.  Here in south Florida one can work up quite a sweat in a 4 to 6 hour ride.  A lot of good information at the Hanner site too.

www.hammernutrition.com/

Funny, that's exactly what I did. I've decided on the Hammer Heed. That fits the bill perfectly and I'll be ordering it right now. Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#32]
web MD:

"Sports Drinks Go Way Beyond Gatorade

Just Drink It By Jeanie Lerche Davis
WebMD Feature Reviewed By Charlotte Mathis, MD

April 19, 2002 -- They told us to "just do it," so we're doing it. Hiking, biking, mountain climbing -- you name it. But as the weather heats up, dehydration can be a big problem. You've got to drink something, and enough of it, or you risk heat stroke or another heat-related illness.

One friend thinks nothing of bicycling 70 miles -- over some pretty grueling hills -- with a water bag on his left shoulder, a squirt-bottle of honey on his right, and a few snacks at break times. Gives him plenty of fuel and hydration, he says.

Another friend -- a tennis fanatic -- swears by berry-flavored Gatorade, even though he dilutes it. "I think it gives me a competitive edge," he says.

The fact is, a sports drink may be your best choice if you're an intense athlete. A new study shows that athletes can stave off fatigue 37% longer if they drink sports drinks -- the kind with electrolytes and carbohydrates in them. They also run faster, have better motor skills, and are mentally sharper, says the study, which appears in the April issue of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.

But these days, there's more than plain old Gatorade on the store shelves. Sports drinks, energy drinks, bottled waters, fitness waters -- who's to know? We don't all sweat like pigs when we exercise. To help you sort it all out, WebMD contacted a number of sports nutritionists.

Caffeine Drinks: Bad Idea

Soft drinks are never a good option during sports. "They have no electrolytes, so they really don't replenish what the body needs," says Chris Carmichael, who heads a training company for personal coaches in Colorado Springs. He's also the personal coach of three-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong.

"Sports drinks help you sustain energy or recover from your workout," he tells WebMD. "Soft drinks are really poor at doing either of those."

Like soft drinks, the so-called energy drinks like Red Bull "have huge amounts of caffeine -- which can be a diuretic and can even have a laxative effect," says Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, director of Sports Nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. This can worsen the dehydration often experienced with heavy exercise.

Sports Drinks 101

When you exercise heavily, you lose water and salts in your sweat. Gatorade was an advance over water because it added a number of electrolytes that were lost in sweat, says Steven Zeisel, MD, PHD, chairman of nutrition at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill.

Today's true sports drinks are still the classic Gatorade -- packed with the electrolytes potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium to provide energy during intense workouts -- as well as competitors such as Cytomax, Allsport, and Accelerade.

Take a swig of an electrolyte drink, and you make sure your body doesn't overheat. You also give yourself an energy source -- one that only serious athletes need, Zeisel tells WebMD. "The amount of sugar in the sports drinks is relatively small compared to the amount of sugar someone burns in exercise. But clearly, it's better than nothing as a calorie source."

"Certainly for people engaging in exercise in a hot environment, an electrolyte replacer can be a lifesaver," he says.

Electrolyte drinks provide the body with fuel in the right quantities, so you don't get an upset stomach, says Bonci. "And the carbohydrates, sodium, and potassium help move fluid more quickly out of the body and into the muscles, where it needs to be during exercise."

Electrolyte-Plus Drinks

Any add-ons to the basic electrolyte drink -- whether it's choline, creatine, or something else -- "makes no difference to anyone except the professional who cares whether they finish 1/10th or 1/000th of a second faster than the other person," says Zeisel. "Most everyday athletes are not going to notice or care about it. But for the person who won the Boston Marathon, it might be what they need."

As far as the protein drinks, unless you're biking the Tour de France or something similarly grueling, your body isn't going to require that protein surge, Zeisel says. "If you're eating protein in your meals, that's much more protein than you'll get in the drink. [The drinks are] supposed to spare your muscle protein, but in reality it's a marginal gain. Just eating protein will do that much."

However, "recovery drinks" like Endurox R-4 help endurance athletes recover from the workout, says Carmichael. "Recovery drinks have a heavier mix of carbohydrate replenishment, they replenish glycogen stores, and usually have antioxidants to help reduce muscle stress and protein to help muscle recovery."

"Even the weekend warrior who plays a lot of tennis one day, who is sore the next day, could benefit from drinking one within the first 30 minutes after playing. It helps reduce muscle stress," Carmichael tells WebMD.

Testing The Waters

For less-intensive exercisers, water will do, says Zeisel. Don't even bother with bottled water -- good old tap water works just fine. "When it comes to exercise and water loss, tap water and bottled water are all the same."

However, a new "fitness water" called "Propel" has a light flavoring and a few antioxidant vitamins -- not intended to help performance, just to add to a healthy diet, says Mary Horn, MS, a research scientist at the Gatorade Sports Institute.

Flavorings in beverages "encourage the exerciser or athlete to drink more and stay hydrated better," she tells WebMD. "Our research shows that both the taste and sodium content of Gatorade naturally make people drink more of it, so they get the hydration they need."

It's totally true -- that little bit of flavoring does make people hydrate themselves better, says Bonci. "Water doesn't have any flavor, it's flat. Water alone can cause people to stop drinking before their fluid needs are met."

Carmichael's not convinced. "I don't think [fitness water] does a great job of anything. It's a marketing ploy," he tells WebMD.

How Much Should You Drink?

If you're exercising intensively in the morning, "A sports drink is better than being on empty," says Bonci. "Most people find they do better if they have something, but it can be solid or liquid form."

While you're exercising: "Thirst is not a good indicator at all," says Bonci. "If you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated."

Drink something every 15 to 20 minutes, if possible: Since that's not possible in all sports, you may have to drink more before you exercise, so you have enough in your body.

Don't try something new before competition: "That's a recipe for disaster," Bonci tells WebMD. The body needs to get used to new fluids, so do it really, really gradually."

Don't drink sports drinks during couch-potato hours. "Those extra calories!"

Don't drink fruit juices before exercise: "They're a very, very concentrated form of carbohydrate," advises Bonci. "That means you might get an upset stomach or a laxative effect. You'll be running, but not necessarily on the field.""
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh BTW, we got issued our handguns today. Sweet little H&K P2000, in .40 of course. We'll be hitting the range either today or tomorrow. Can't wait

Best thing they told me..."No limits on ammo, only time." I know that phase has a special place in every ARFCOMer's heart
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I should've gone that route.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hammernutrition.com/

Funny, that's exactly what I did. I've decided on the Hammer Heed. That fits the bill perfectly and I'll be ordering it right now. Thanks everyone!

Hope you like it as much as I do.  I use their orange flavor, very light taste.  I don't want a ton of flavor in my dring when I'm trying to stay hydrated.

Check out the information offered there, tons of good stuff to know about.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#36]
The never ending job of catch-and-release.  Good luck.

Don't do too good of a job, they might fire you, or worse, jail you.

How 'bout a monthly blog/report to tell us the effed up stuff you see happening?  
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Oh BTW, we got issued our handguns today. Sweet little H&K P2000, in .40 of course. We'll be hitting the range either today or tomorrow. Can't wait

Best thing they told me..."No limits on ammo, only time." I know that phase has a special place in every ARFCOMer's heart

We expect a AAR on how long it takes you to go through the ammo they brought with them
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hammernutrition.com/

Hope you like it as much as I do.  I use their orange flavor, very light taste.  I don't want a ton of flavor in my dring when I'm trying to stay hydrated.

Check out the information offered there, tons of good stuff to know about.

I'm going with their new Subtle Berry flavor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

How 'bout a monthly blog/report to tell us the effed up stuff you see happening?  

In the Academy or out at my station?
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#41]
The academy AND your station. A lot of us would bevery interested to read that!
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The academy AND your station. A lot of us would bevery interested to read that!

You're already in the "blog" for the Academy As for the station, I'll make threads if something cool comes up.

I don't use the computer here often, but when something cool comes up, I'll put it here. Anyhow, got to go and study my law, I have a test tomorrow. See you later, ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Best wishes.

If you see this asshole nosing around............

www.usdoj.gov/usao/txw/images/Sutton_smWeb.jpg

he's wanted in 17 states, dead or alive.

Nefarious looking bast*rd.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Gator G2 is pretty good stuff, there is some corn syrup, but not much.  It's their low cal drink.  Grape is really the only flavor that tastes decent in my opinion, but there are a couple different ones.

As far as the shooting goes you will get plenty of range time, in the area of 60 hours.  Although, that may have changed with the way they have changed up the Academy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I should've gone that route.
Didn't you just get out of boot camp?

Don't tell me you're disillusioned and complaining already.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Am I free to leave?

Am I being detained?

Am I free to leave?

Am I being detained?
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Good luck. See you on the line.

Link Posted: 5/20/2008 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Awesome, remember, "smooth is fast!"
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome, remember, "smooth is fast!"

Haha, heard that all day.

We went shooting today for the first time. Used a box of Winchester Ranger 180gr JHP. Shot a nice little group, instructor was proud of me
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the Academy or out at my station?

BOTH
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top