Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.40 is to 10mm as .380 is to 9mm.
View Quote

Yes, in terms of case and bullet diameter.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
because there is only one man in the room professional enough to handle a glock fotay... BOOM!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All the raving about 6 round 9mm made me appreciate my .357 mag.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Ten round mag limits really helped .40 and totally revitalized .45.
All the raving about 6 round 9mm made me appreciate my .357 mag.

I would bet my Sig P290RS is smaller and more concealable than your revolver.    For going to the range, .357 is probably my favorite handgun round.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All three (9, 40, and 45) suck at their jobs. There is very little real world difference between the three.

Just pick one (or all) and go with it. There's no goddamn reason to min-max or over analyze every little fucking thing.
View Quote

So, beans or no beans in your chili?  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do

you

even

pressure

assignment,

bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analogy fail.

.40 is to 10mm as 9mm is to .357 magnum.

Do you even pressure assignment, bro?

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

Do

you

even

pressure

assignment,

bro?

Do

you

even

anything

besides

pressure

assignment,

bro?

Chamber pressure is far from all there is to a cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When the Winchester Black Talon came along,..that set the stage to end the need for the .40 S&W.

Prior to that, the 9mm loading a of the day, and even after the advent of the BT, Simply could not be counted on to expand and adequately penetrate enough.  The .40 did, and gave a higher mag capacity than the .45 did, and also smaller handguns.

With I improvements in bullet technology, the is not much difference in terminal performance between the big 3 rounds, so why not have the gun with most capacity, less recoil, etc.?

Me...I love the .40. I've got 5 of them...I also love my VP9, and my 1911 in .45.

I would not feel underfunded with any of them and modern defensive ammunition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know GD hates .40 and 9mm is SOOOOO much better but why was the .40 so popular by police and civilian for so long in the 90's and early 00's. How could we have all been so retarded when the 9mm was the obvious choice all along?
When the Winchester Black Talon came along,..that set the stage to end the need for the .40 S&W.

Prior to that, the 9mm loading a of the day, and even after the advent of the BT, Simply could not be counted on to expand and adequately penetrate enough.  The .40 did, and gave a higher mag capacity than the .45 did, and also smaller handguns.

With I improvements in bullet technology, the is not much difference in terminal performance between the big 3 rounds, so why not have the gun with most capacity, less recoil, etc.?

Me...I love the .40. I've got 5 of them...I also love my VP9, and my 1911 in .45.

I would not feel underfunded with any of them and modern defensive ammunition.

I will admit 10 mm can make you feel underfunded and got me into reloading.  

In all seriousness, pistol rounds suck compared to rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I sold a 9mm glock and bought a 40 glock when the during our 9mm lean times. I almost got new price on the 9mm and could find 40 ammo all day long when the shelves were barren or 9 and 45.

I still have a 9 and a 40 and like both.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Well.. I guess my .02 might as well get thrown in...

The last 20 years or so have seen a revolution in manufacturing technology. A truly dynamic shift in all aspects. Anyone with a couple mill on hand to invest in modern Mills, Lathes, 3D printing, etc.. can do anything that the old big name gun manufacturers can do with the same quality or better. Look at all the small start up companies since the 90's that have taken market share from the big guys. The only area the smaller guys get crushed is volume and risk to take it to the next level and get positioned for contract sales.
The same thing happened in the ammo market.

Back when .40 was introduced the old school mentality was still lingering. Ball ammo is the most reliable and diameter and weight determine stopping ability. Believe it or not up until the late 80's that is how most folks thought. IMO..The Winchester Silvertip was the single most consistently reliable hollow point at that time. Hydroshocks became popular a bit later.
Then the FBI, Miami Bank robber Shootout happened. The hunt was on. Need more rounds than 45 can carry but want more energy delivered on target than 9mm. 10mm proved to much for average LEO and the .40 became the answer. More rounds and 20% more energy than 9mm.

Now days most well known hollow points function just as well as ball ammo. The reliability factor went up as did terminal bullet performance. Better engineering of bullet construction and newer powders have brought it up to the point where you can get a 9mm to almost run neck and neck with .40 on the energy delivered to target scale.

Now after all that bullshit. The short answer is:
People finally realized that no common practical handgun bullets generate enough energy to absolutely guarantee a one shot stop. So I might as well carry 9mm. Cheep abundant ammo, less recoil. wide choice of firearms.....I still carry a .40....
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wheel gun ammo, lol!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analogy fail.

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

your dismissal of 357mag45LC & 44spc rounds is misguided

learn to shoot then get a man's gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analogy fail.

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

I'm going to dismiss revolver ammunition right along with swingline staples, macaroni and cheese and ICBMs when we are talking about magazine fed pistol ammunition.

There are some great cartridges in their own right but it is an apples and oil filters comparison IMO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#11]
9=40=45.  Shoot until the threat is gone or until you have gotten to your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:02:55 AM EDT
[#12]
The 40 sucks because most guys don't like the snappy recoil of the short and weak round.
It may be snappy because it is short... but it sure ain't weak. It pushes a heavier slug

at the same velocities that a 9 pushes a light pill. Now with that out of the way let us turn

our attention to the fact that no hand gun that can be easily carried and concealed is the ultimate stopper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

10mm is best mm......
View Quote
The 40 S&W is 10mm

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#14]
9MM and .40 are for the young bulls that run down the hill and fuck a cow.

.45 is for the wise bulls that walk down the hill and fuck all the cows.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
GD long ago agreed that the 9mm is a girl's cartridge, the 45 is a man's round.
Therefore, the 40cal being neither here nor there, is a metro-sexual, bisexual round for wanna be transsexuals.

Enjoy your balls across the nose, 40cal cock fags!
View Quote

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with this response solely because it contains the most conclusive scientific data to back up its position.
Science.  Ain't it a bitch
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:49:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do

you

even

anything

besides

pressure

assignment,

bro?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analogy fail.

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

Do

you

even

pressure

assignment,

bro?

Do

you

even

anything

besides

pressure

assignment,

bro?

It is also far from nothing.

The .380 runs at a very low pressure assignment, resulting in inadequate velocity and an inability to drive heavier bullets in it's caliber.

It is not even close to a fair comparison.

Factory 10mm (yeah yeah, I know you ALL hand load) is virtually identical to factory .40 S&W in every way, except case length which, in and of itself DOES mean nothing.

The only advantage to 10mm over .40 S&W is the ability to drive bullets to a longer effective range or to run 200gr bullets.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:50:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm going to dismiss revolver ammunition right along with swingline staples, macaroni and cheese and ICBMs when we are talking about magazine fed pistol ammunition.

There are some great cartridges in their own right but it is an apples and oil filters comparison IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analogy fail.

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

Substitute .38 Super +P then, for a more like comparison.

It doesn't change the fact that .380 has no place at the table, compared to the other three.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:02:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm a whore. I love them all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:09:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wheel gun ammo, lol!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analogy fail.

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

Coonan Arms Semi-Auto .357mag pistol.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GD long ago agreed that the 9mm is a girl's cartridge, the 45 is a man's round.
Therefore, the 40cal being neither here nor there, is a metro-sexual, bisexual round for wanna be transsexuals.

Enjoy your balls across the nose, 40cal cock fags!

https://youtu.be/Il7nZkYEr4M

What in the actual fuck?!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:14:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Factory 10mm (yeah yeah, I know you ALL hand load) is virtually identical to factory .40 S&W in every way, except case length which, in and of itself DOES mean nothing.

The only advantage to 10mm over .40 S&W is the ability to drive bullets to a longer effective range or to run 200gr bullets.
View Quote

That depends upon which factory your buying them from bro.  There are several manufacturers who load them to proper spec and they trounce the .40SW
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:19:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analogy fail.

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

See also, Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:20:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That depends upon which factory your buying them from bro.  There are several manufacturers who load them to proper spec and they trounce the .40SW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, and?

ETA: Trounce by what metric? A higher velocity does not necessarily equate to better street performance.

Do they penetrate more optimally than the already optimal .40 S&W? Or, do they offer more optimal controlled expansion within the optimal penetration window?

10mm is a round born for hunting. That is where it's peculiar advantages shine.

As a combat pistol round, there is no measurable upside to counteract the size and recoil penalty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:34:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The .380 runs at a very low pressure assignment, resulting in inadequate velocity and an inability to drive heavier bullets in it's caliber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Analogy fail.

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

Do

you

even

pressure

assignment,

bro?

Do

you

even

anything

besides

pressure

assignment,

bro?

The 10mm case is longer than .40 S&W for a reason. Same reason as 9mm is longer than .380 ACP. Same reasons you stated right in your post there. The only difference is that some factory 10mm is downloaded to "FBI" specs (aka .40 S&W).
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:40:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The 10mm case is longer than .40 S&W for a reason. Same reason as 9mm is longer than .380 ACP. Same reasons you stated right in your post there. The only difference is that some factory 10mm is downloaded to "FBI" specs (aka .40 S&W).
View Quote

You will never know how wrong you are until you open a reloading manual.

The .380 is not in the same class as 9mm, .40S&W, or 10mm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have still completely missed the point.

.380ACP is 9mm short. .40S&W is 10mm short.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:47:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You seem confused?  Those are factory options last I checked and you did make a blanket statement that factory ammo is downloaded.  While you are correct that most is, not all.  You can also add BlackHills to the full power 10mm list as well.

ETA: Trounce by what metric? A higher velocity does not necessarily equate to better street performance.

Do they penetrate more optimally than the already optimal .40 S&W?
Yes, and 40SW isn't exactly optimal

Or, do they offer more optimal controlled expansion within the optimal penetration window?
More reliable expansion due to the higher velocity.

It shines equally as a defensive round as well.

As a combat pistol round, there is no measurable upside to counteract the size and recoil penalty
The recoil isn't bad at all and the increased penetration and more reliable expansion due to the higher velocity is a plus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem confused?  Those are factory options last I checked and you did make a blanket statement that factory ammo is downloaded.  While you are correct that most is, not all.  You can also add BlackHills to the full power 10mm list as well.

Do they penetrate more optimally than the already optimal .40 S&W?
Yes, and 40SW isn't exactly optimal

Or, do they offer more optimal controlled expansion within the optimal penetration window?
More reliable expansion due to the higher velocity.

It shines equally as a defensive round as well.

As a combat pistol round, there is no measurable upside to counteract the size and recoil penalty
The recoil isn't bad at all and the increased penetration and more reliable expansion due to the higher velocity is a plus.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% correct, I don't know what exactly he's trying to dispute with you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your point perfectly.

Your point is irrelevant to what I am saying.

.380 is not in the same class as modern service pistol rounds. Your comparison is unfair and pejorative.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.380 = Max Pressure of 21,500 PSI and must use lighter bullets than those typical for 9mm

9mm = Max Pressure of 35,000 PSI

.40 S&W = Max Pressure of 35,000 PSI and runs the EXACT same bullets as 10mm

10mm = Max Pressure of 37,500 PSI (to which it is seldom loaded from the factory) and uses the EXACT same bullets as .40 S&W

One of these rounds is remarkably different from it's counterpart. Another is very close.

Can you guess which is which?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:57:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

.380 is not in the same class as modern service pistol rounds. Your comparison is unfair and pejorative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing unfair or pejorative about facts, as far as I can tell.

Besides, .380 ACP is more modern than 9mm Luger.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern Service Pistol. Use the whole term, if you please.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

.380 = Max Pressure of 21,500 PSI and must use lighter bullets than those typical for 9mm

10mm = Max Pressure of 37,500 PSI (to which it is seldom loaded from the factory) and uses the EXACT same bullets as .40 S&W

One of these rounds is remarkably different from it's counterpart. Another is very close.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you link me to the 220 grain .40 S&W ammo? I want it to run 1200 FPS average out of a 4.6" barrel please. I'll wait.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#34]
get all calibers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#35]

It's no coincidence that Zima was popular at the same exact time.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
So 10, then.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:29:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/U3kEjRy.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/U3kEjRy.jpg
.380 head dia is different than 9.  Just a bit but it's there.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know GD hates .40 and 9mm is SOOOOO much better but why was the .40 so popular by police and civilian for so long in the 90's and early 00's. How could we have all been so retarded when the 9mm was the obvious choice all along?
View Quote

You're obviously an idiot. I have never seen the sentiment here that 9mm is SOOOOOO much better. Only that in modern loads, .40 has pretty much no advantage over 9mm.

Back in the times you were talking about, before there were defensive loads in 9mm like there are today, .40 DID have an advantage.

If you don't understand this, to back to the first 4 words of my response.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So 10, then.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So 10, then.    

Thats what I heard...then again my wife says I have selective hearing.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do

you

even

anything

besides

pressure

assignment,

bro?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analogy fail.

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

Do

you

even

pressure

assignment,

bro?

Do

you

even

anything

besides

pressure

assignment,

bro?

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analogy fail.

Wheel gun ammo, lol!

Do

you

even

pressure

assignment,

bro?

Do

you

even

anything

besides

pressure

assignment,

bro?

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/504/955/7fe.gif

lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#43]
My dept. doesn't allow 40 anymore for its police officers. Only 9 or 45.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep.

If they'd had standard cap mags for USP compacts back when I bought mine, I'd have gotten 9x19.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

If they'd had standard cap mags for USP compacts back when I bought mine, I'd have gotten 9x19.

Yep.

The whole "if I can't carry more rounds, bigger is better" concept.

The AWB was magical for revitalizing the 1911 platform IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Yep.

Ultimately I'll go with this.

If I only get 10 rounds, I might as well get a 40.  

I think the FBI and popo going 40 was part of this, but the mag limit was a bigger driver.

8 round revolvers never would have come about without the mag ban.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#46]
In before the JackBootedThug from Miami.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

40 was adopted before Gold Dot and HST
View Quote
I know.

I wish Speer and Federal would make loadings in .40 for those designs.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Ive been thinking about getting the hl1 for my g20 (gen 3 sf). You know of any holsters that work well for that setup (open carry hip right handed)?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The 40 S&W is 10mm  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10mm is best mm......
The 40 S&W is 10mm  

It's not 10mm Auto...  It's for the short and weak members of the FBI.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top