Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a little culinary know-how, you can make a metric ton at home for less.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just had sushi for lunch. I love it... good sushi that is....  the best I've had though was in Hawaii... I could eat it almost every day. Here's what I had...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x136/PAP63/sushi.jpg

That looks great!!  I'm trying to remember what was in the above picture as I type this.  Sashimi is basically raw fish and "sushi" refers to the rice.  Sushi rice is made from short-grain rice.  Once out of the cooker, it is mixed with mirin (rice wine vinegar) and slowly fanned.  Fanning the rice slowly cools it and leaves a nice shine and doesn't "clump" the rice.  Many first time sushi-goers are a bit taken off by sushi not because of the fish, but the rice wine vinegar that imparts that taste to the rice.

Next time you go to a place, try 'Chirashi."  That is where they put individual slices of sashimi over sushi rice.  Give it a shot.  It isn't the individual slice of fish over a piece of sushi rice.

From your picture, I can't tell what's next to the sliced cucumbers on the top row.  The next row down, you have yellowtail (hamachi), salmon, tuna (maguro), and octopus (tako).  The octopus shown is cooked which is normally how they present it. If you wan't raw octopus, try a dish called "takowasabi" next time.

The next roll is what is called "Tekka Maki."  This is tuna (maguro) rolled in seaweed with sushi rice.

The last row has your pickled ginger on your left.  Take a bite of ginger to cleanse your palate.  From there, from what I recall are tuna, salmon, yellowtail, and a few other types of "sushi."  On the far right is reconstituted wasabi from made from a powder that is mixed with water.  The real wasabi is definitely a treat if you can get it!

It is ok to eat sushi with your hands. However, don't dip the rice portion in soy sauce for it has a capillary effect and will suck up way too much.  Instead, turn it over and dip the fish portion in it first.  When eating sashimi, use chopsticks to pick up each piece unless you want "stinky finger."
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Sushi OK,

But I'm sick or hearing how it takes 87 years to be trained to make it

Its either a piece of fish on some rice or rice wrapped around some fish and vegetables.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like Sushi OK,

Its either a piece of fish on some rice or rice wrapped around some fish and vegetables.

Give it a shot!  Let's see how yours turn out!

Make sure to post some pics too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I like Sushi OK,

Mastering making the rice is tough

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I like Sushi OK,

Mastering making the rice is tough

Fresh fish is also hard to come by in certain parts of the country and it's also dependant on which coast you live on/by.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Liver flukes r' us.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Good sushi is really good.  Not so good sushi can really suck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I absolutely love good sushi.  My local place has a roll called the M-16.  It's as amazing as it sounds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Start off with Sashimi,  that's just the meat part with out any roll.  Once you have that, getting a "roll" will suck balls from then on.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Sushi is soooo good if you know what to order, or you just have a billfold large enough to afford lots of trial and error.

One place by our house has this roll called dragon on fire. OMFG it is sooo good I could eat like five of them. A mere $25 for a five piece roll though. Damn now I can't wait for Saturday at the habachi/sushi restuarant.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Japanese food is disgusting. The worst "popular" cuisine in the world.

Some day your taste buds will mature and you may like more than hot dogs and ice cream.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Funny this thread is up, had some earlier tonight specifically because I realized it had been quite a whille.  

Sushi rocks; freaking addicting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Try some Ahi Tuna.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Sushi is no dice with me.  Sashimi is def no go.  Somethin' bout the texture.  Was funny as all hell watchin the boss eat his with a fork though!  Man's hilarious!  "The fork is a superior utensil - no one should use chop sticks if they have a fork available" said at Nobu in Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas last '10 Shot Show.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Spicy white tuna with a cold Kirin Ichiban.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not a fan of sushi but my gf loves that stuff. Maybe I just haven't had the right kind of sushi.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Good lord! Some of you people mix the wasabi into your soy sauce? Do you point your chopsticks at other people too?

Where I eat that kind of rudeness will get you shown to the door.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#20]
i love sushi
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Stix out at the legends is pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Went to this place for the first time last week with a friend of mine, looking over the menu I see "Michelle Obama" sushi roll

Sorry, but I don't eat wookie and I won't be back.  Fucking shame how a good business can ruin itself by playing politics...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I like sushi, but its to dang expensive for what it is. Plus, I'm just a redneck country boy, so I'm not "cool" enough to eat it in most places that serve it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Everything with Japanese Cuisine has a purpose.

Just a pro tip here:

Wasabi, Pickled Ginger and Soy Sauce all come together specifically to aid the stomach and taste buds to balance the taste of Sashimi and Nigiri.

In the little bowl they give you. Pour a bit of Soy Sauce, then add a "LITTLE" Wasabi. Do not dip your sushi rice side down as it will soak up the soy sauce and make it too bitter.

The Pickled Ginger is dipped lightly in the soy sauce and eaten between different types of fish. It will reset your taste buds. Both Wasabi and the Ginger have antibacterial and antifungal properties as well.

I once went to a business lunchin at a Sushi place and watched a guy spread wasabi on his sushi thinking it was a sauce.

EPIC hilarity ensued.

When you order sushi also consider spreading out the fish types. I do the basics, then a Tamago (Egg) and Tako (Squid) to give me a bit of breathing room between the intensity of some of the other peices.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:46:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I freakin' love sushi!! Think of it as extra rare steak... well... kinda...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I am still almost horrified that you guys are still talking about mixing the wasabi into the soy sauce. Totally insulting to the chef. You are saying "Hey bro, you did it wrong / I am a totally ignorant gaijin".

And dipping with the rice side? Epic fail. No wonder some of you don't like sushi. Might as well just drink ocean water because it might have some residual fish in it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the things I had had wayyy too much cucumber in it that started to gross me out.

This is why I usually get sashimi.  No cucumber.

Yep.  Or nigiri.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll be having sushi in three hours, and the boss is paying!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Sushi?  IBTIW (In before the intestinal worms)

Dibs on guns and ammo

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am still almost horrified that you guys are still talking about mixing the wasabi into the soy sauce. Totally insulting to the chef. You are saying "Hey bro, you did it wrong / I am a totally ignorant gaijin".

And dipping with the rice side? Epic fail. No wonder some of you don't like sushi. Might as well just drink ocean water because it might have some residual fish in it.

Hey champ, instead of sitting there and being horrified (and posting that twice) how about posting some pointers and advice for the newer fans of the product?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good lord! Some of you people mix the wasabi into your soy sauce? Do you point your chopsticks at other people too?

Cool story, bro.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We get it - you are uber-cultured sushi dude. Thanks for stopping by.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And it wasn't bad!

Not surprising. Many people enjoy eating bait.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So I had lunch at a local sushi buffet today and I thought about you as I mixed wasabi into my soy sauce. I even dipped my sushi in rice side down in your honor.

Here's my first plate:

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I always wonder, is there certain fishes that can be eaten raw without the chance of a gut full of worms? I sure wouldn't pull a crappie out a lake around here and eat it raw.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pretty much everyone I've eaten sushi or sashimi does this with the wasabi. I don't get it. I don't do it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#38]
not a wasabi mixer
at least locally the eel is really hit or miss...have had some really nasty stuff at two places
local place has some really good beef sashimi
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
sushi or sashimi?

Sashimi.   I like the mackerel.  Smells just like fishing on the jetty as a kid.   Amazing how they all smell different.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Was in Seattle for 4 nights this last weekend.

Sushi place in the bottom of our hotel downtown. Happy hour from 9pm to 1am serving $2-$3 half roll orders of sushi.

I could go back there and eat every freaking night. Had 5 half rolls of sushi and 2 beers for under $20... In downtown Seattle... Never thought that would happen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I always wonder, is there certain fishes that can be eaten raw without the chance of a gut full of worms? I sure wouldn't pull a crappie out a lake around here and eat it raw.

Every cut of fish at the sushi bar has been frozen at some point before it reaches your plate, even the "fresh" stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#42]
ha, i just had sushi for the first time tonight. I thought it was good but i didn't like the ginger or the cucumber pieces that were in some of the things.

But overall I really liked it and the Japanese girls were good looking.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just had sushi for lunch. I love it... good sushi that is....  the best I've had though was in Hawaii... I could eat it almost every day. Here's what I had...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x136/PAP63/sushi.jpg

Yummy....now I need to find some, anyone know a good sushi place in tacoma (here for business)?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top