Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
just remember where you are is a good place to make mistakes and learn from it. keep an even pace, and if you're allowed out on the town, do it a little (you're making contacts) but don't let it make you non mission capable the next day
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Week 5 complete. Driving and shooting were both a first time GO. Had some challenges early in the week with driving but had some good instructors get me through it.

Week 6 is the half way point and it’s down hill after that!
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Week 6 is in the books. Domestic Violence, juvenile justice and vulnerable adults are things we deal a lot with in our city, so getting the book answers to supplement the street answers was good.

I’m half way done.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Week 7 complete. Highest score on any of my exams today and brought my class average up. This week was criminal gangs, drugs and honestly I don’t even remember the other topics we covered.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Good job man.  I have a question about something you said that I want to understand right.  Did you say you completed FTO before you started the Academy?
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I did.  Given my prior life (20 years of Army) the Chief gave me a shot to get on the road before going to school. My FTO was a great kid and I’m grateful to him. Having 10+ weeks on the road before going to school has given me some insight that many of my peers do not have and it’s awesome to have the answers in class.

I finished Week 9 today and have finished all my academic, book learning tests. As I start the final phase of training, I’ll taking an 88% average into the “practical application” phase. The next 3 weeks will be shoot house, SFST, Datamaster, traffic stuff and graduation practice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats Grandpa!  I was one of the oldest in my academy class when I went through at 30.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
There’s only one guy older than I am in my class. He’s a legit Physician’s Assistant who wanted a career change.

But yea, going through at 43 has been a challenge some days.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Week 10 is complete. This week was all hands on, practical exercises. Building clearing, traffic stops, active shooter and calls for service all got served up. Next week is SFST and then we get a week off because the Academy is closed for the July 4th week and then the next week is 4 days of practicals and graduation. All I have to do is not get broken or make an honor code violation and I’ll graduate on 12 July.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Week 10 is complete. This week was all hands on, practical exercises. Building clearing, traffic stops, active shooter and calls for service all got served up. Next week is SFST and then we get a week off because the Academy is closed for the July 4th week and then the next week is 4 days of practicals and graduation. All I have to do is not get broken or make an honor code violation and I’ll graduate on 12 July.
View Quote
Good stuff. Keep it up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Week 11 is finally in my rear view mirror. I passed the Datamaster and SFST tests and will graduate with an over all 90% in the class. I’m pretty excited and proud of myself right now but I’m sure I’ll get brought back down to earth soon enough. But for tonight, I’m on Cloud 9.

Thanks to each of you for the words of encouragement in this thread and via PM. Words really do matter and I’m grateful to each of you who took the time to reach out.

Cheers to each of you!
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Today is my final submission from my Basic Law Enforcement class. Graduation Day has finally arrived. In a few short hours, I will receive my “diploma” and certification to be a Class 1 police officer in South Carolina.

This week has been another week of practical exams. The instructors harped on “the ability to just talk to people” rather than in Week 10 the fundamentals of the practicals.

On Monday morning, I will be sworn into service by my Chief. I am humbled and honored to continue the tradition of the TBL as so many men and women have done before me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats brother.  Good luck
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top