iPad 2 owns page 2... wish I had one
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
what happens when there is no service?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
what happens when there is no service?

It is not data dependent, it has a GPS antenna same as your Garmin or TomTom.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i'trollin

Nope, sharing... A lot of folks don't know it could do this without a data plan.  I didn't know until just last week.

It doesn't work on mine without wifi. Map won't load, can't determine location.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i'trollin

Nope, sharing... A lot of folks don't know it could do this without a data plan.  I didn't know until just last week.

It doesn't work on mine without wifi. Map won't load, can't determine location.

Do you have the 3G version or just wifi?  Has to be a 3G, and without data you need to use an app that has the maps as part of the program.  Google maps for example will not work because the app needs to pull the maps from the internet, so you need data.  TomTom takes up like 1.6GB and has the maps in the app, that is why it will work without data on a 3G iPad.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you mount it on your windshield?

Someone might make a mount, I just leave it on the passenger seat, display is so big it is easily readable with a quick glance.

Might?

They make RAM mounts for everything.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Didn't know the iPad could do that. Thanks for the info as my mother has one and I'll let her know so she can use it. She wanted a GPS but I bet she'll enjoy the larger screen for when she and her sisters go on trips.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Didn't know the iPad could do that. Thanks for the info as my mother has one and I'll let her know so she can use it. She wanted a GPS but I bet she'll enjoy the larger screen for when she and her sisters go on trips.

Keep in mind, the wifi only iPads do NOT have the gps chip in them.

It'll work as a map, but won't display your location.

I bought a 16gb 3G iPad for this reason. I doubt I'll ever pay for a data plan, but I wanted the gps.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone might make a mount, I just leave it on the passenger seat, display is so big it is easily readable with a quick glance.

Might?

http://www.gpscity.com/g/gps/l/6/ramb166ap8.jpg

Any clue if they make one that will hold an iPad in an otter box defender case?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind, the wifi only iPads do NOT have the gps chip in them.

It'll work as a map, but won't display your location.

I bought a 16gb 3G iPad for this reason. I doubt I'll ever pay for a data plan, but I wanted the gps.

No problem there, I got her the 3G one.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might?

http://www.gpscity.com/g/gps/l/6/ramb166ap8.jpg

Any clue if they make one that will hold an iPad in an otter box defender case?

They sell a variety of ball mounts so you could drill a few holes and be done.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Give me a break, ever look down to change your radio station or grab a CD?  My eyes continually sweep from the driver side mirror through the front windshield up to the rearview mirror to the passenger side mirror and back.  While my eyes are passing across a roughly 180 degree field of view it happens to check the pad for a second.  I guess all those cops getting routing directions on a laptop as the scream down the road to a call are causing bajillions of accidents on a daily basis.  What?  They're not.  Hmmmmmmm.  But again, thanks for your concern.

Steering wheel controls.  It's not 1990 any more, grandpa.  And cops have something called a "partner" who can look at a laptop while they drive.

You can continue to justify your behavior in any way you like.  Methinks you protest too much.  And that speaks volumes as to how "confident" you truly are about you being a safe driver.  

Enjoy your new iPad.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give me a break, ever look down to change your radio station or grab a CD?  My eyes continually sweep from the driver side mirror through the front windshield up to the rearview mirror to the passenger side mirror and back.  While my eyes are passing across a roughly 180 degree field of view it happens to check the pad for a second.  I guess all those cops getting routing directions on a laptop as the scream down the road to a call are causing bajillions of accidents on a daily basis.  What?  They're not.  Hmmmmmmm.  But again, thanks for your concern.

Steering wheel controls.  It's not 1990 any more, grandpa.  And cops have something called a "partner" who can look at a laptop while they drive.

You can continue to justify your behavior in any way you like.  Methinks you protest too much.  And that speaks volumes as to how "confident" you truly are about you being a safe driver.  

Enjoy your new iPad.

Most departments in upstate NY don't have partners... one person in a cruiser.  My car is a 2003, no controls on the steering wheel for the sound system.  I am more than confident concerning my driving ability...  How do you feel about your lack of knowledge on car designs?  I mean you seem to think that mirrors eliminate blind sports for ALL cars and ALL drivers.  Don't go away mad, just go away.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy your new iPad.

Most departments in upstate NY don't have partners... one person in a cruiser.  My car is a 2003, no controls on the steering wheel for the sound system.  I am more than confident concerning my driving ability...  How do you feel about your lack of knowledge on car designs?  I mean you seem to think that mirrors eliminate blind sports for ALL cars and ALL drivers.  Don't go away mad, just go away.

Well thanks for answering everyones question on how you did it. Glad you didn't waste all that bandwidth bitching about driving abilities.

Thanks to those that did explain it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy your new iPad.

Well thanks for answering everyones question on how you did it. Glad you didn't waste all that bandwidth bitching about driving abilities.

Thanks to those that did explain it.

Guess you missed this post I made at 20:02

Do you have the 3G version or just wifi? Has to be a 3G, and without data you need to use an app that has the maps as part of the program. Google maps for example will not work because the app needs to pull the maps from the internet, so you need data. TomTom takes up like 1.6GB and has the maps in the app, that is why it will work without data on a 3G iPad.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:08:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have several standard gps units mom, but thanks... So your eyes never leave the front windshield? Don.t ever look over your shoulder while switching lanes? I was taught to scan my surroundings while driving.  The screen is so large I can pick up all the information I need with my regular eye sweep of my surroundings.

Your mirrors are not adjusted correctly.  Read "Drive to Survive", by Curt Rich (SCCA champion and IPSC shooter).  You should not need to look over your shoulder to change lanes.  

Once your mirrors are adjusted correctly you can scan your surroundings properly.  You can see into your rear-view mirror and the side mirrors and there will be no blind spots.  

Looking down into the passenger seat is asking for trouble.  You may as well be texting as you drive.  

PS go clean your room or you ain't gettin no dessert.  

Nearly impossible with most factory mirror setups, and not double checking is a good way to kill motorcycle riders.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:12:07 AM EDT
[#17]
That is nice, but it will such when you send it in for repair.  I like to keep things distributed so that I don't go down with a single device.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:48:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is nice, but it will such when you send it in for repair.  I like to keep things distributed so that I don't go down with a single device.

My iPhone also has GPS as do the two GPS stand-alone systems I have... if it goes tits up I won't be out of luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have several standard gps units mom, but thanks... So your eyes never leave the front windshield? Don.t ever look over your shoulder while switching lanes? I was taught to scan my surroundings while driving.  The screen is so large I can pick up all the information I need with my regular eye sweep of my surroundings.

Your mirrors are not adjusted correctly.  Read "Drive to Survive", by Curt Rich (SCCA champion and IPSC shooter).  You should not need to look over your shoulder to change lanes.  

Once your mirrors are adjusted correctly you can scan your surroundings properly.  You can see into your rear-view mirror and the side mirrors and there will be no blind spots.  

Looking down into the passenger seat is asking for trouble.  You may as well be texting as you drive.  

Wrong.

Even properly adjusted mirrors leave a blind spot.

Always look over your shoulder when merging/changing lanes/turning.

the life you save may be your own
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#20]
has your GPS system ever given you directions to an ATM machine?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Interesting info regarding wifi ipads and gps:

http://www.cultofmac.com/wifi-only-ipad-2-gets-gps-when-tethered-to-iphone/86642

However, Kyle says his iPad is getting genuine GPS location information, and it’s coming from the iPhone:

It is clear I am being fed GPS information from the
phone, at what appears to be an interval of once a minute or so between
refreshes (likely they didn’t do real time updating so as to go easy on
the phone’s battery).

So if you’ve been looking at a 3G iPad for the GPS, you might
consider the WiFi-only iPad. If you have iPhone tethering, you can use
it on the go.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

Dude go to the store and buy a $1.99 blind spot mirror...looking over your shoulder to merge and change lanes is not cool....

hopefully you are joking

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Found this video linked on another forum.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Dude go to the store and buy a $1.99 blind spot mirror...looking over your shoulder to merge and change lanes is not cool....

hopefully you are joking

Funny, I don't recall that from defensive driving.

Ever been to Albany, NY?  There is a merge near the Capitol on 787 that actually has the the merging car crossing into the main lane of traffic with other vehicles coming from beneath the merging vehicle.  There is no way any mirror is going to see that and you absolutely have to look over your shoulder to merge safely.  Seriously, you don't know what you are talking about.  Throw in the fact that mirrors don't allow proper gauging of distance...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The iPad is a pretty neat device. A lot more convenient than a laptop to keep around the house. Turns on in seconds, and is lighter too.

ill buy one in another 5 years, when the ipad 12 comes out, and is the same price, and has the power of a laptop.... i usually never buy technology until its been out for several generations.
im the same with guns, always wait until the possible bugs show up and get fixed. .. i might buy one for cheap in a year or so used, and try to mount it in my vehicle, like the ford mustang video. that looked cool, and actually useful, as long as your not driving.  it would also be a great gps with a screen that size.

i remember my buddy at work coming in one day with his new razr phone. paid $500 bucks or something. 2 years later i got one free when i upgraded my phone..
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brilliant 9 inch screen, excellent battery life, very accurate with quick updates, runs TomTom perfectly... Don't even need a data plan!

God I love my iPad 3G!

Um, I have a Sony product that does the same thing, it only has a 3.5" screen, but I find that to be plenty large enough to use with a quick glance. It is also compact enough to be mounted just above the rear view mirror in my van, leaving the passenger seat available for a passenger, my lunch, my clipboard, or whatever else I want to put there.

This nifty little device was about $80 three years ago, and I have never had to spend a penny on data service for it either.

Of course I can also do what you are doing with my Pam Pixi, which is hardly the pinnacle in wonder devices, I was doing the exact same thing you are doing with a Pentium 1 200MHZ CPU laptop ten years ago, once again, no data plan was needed, it had an amazing device called a "Hard Drive", you use the CD Rom device built into the laptop, you install the maps to the Hard Drive, and the next thing you know you are navigating, with voice prompts, with no data on a 12 inch screen.

Seriously, I am less than impressed with this new use for an Ipad.

Ummmm but I don't need a data plan to do it and my iPad still does everything else an iPad does and is far more useful than a 3.5 inch Sony, your Pixi or an antique laptop.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I use one of these with my ipad in the Jeep:  

Word.  This is what I have and it works GREAT.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Since I couldn't really describe how I have the iPad situated, I took a photo.  The iPad resides in one of the Apple brand neoprene notebook covers and had a screen protector.  I will look into a mount, but for now this seems to work pretty well.  I did a 300 mile round trip last weekend and it didn't budge once.  Wedged against the passenger seat my right leg and and the dash.  There is an XM skydock mount behind the iPad which adds further support.  I took several circular on-ramps at a decent rate of speed and no movement.

So no, it is not exactly on the passenger seat, but it is braced against it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#30]
id mount mine in my bov suburban. build a console between the seats, basically under the dash at a angle. i need one to mount light , winch, and other switches. i dont see why a ipad would not fit. i was planning to add a tom tom anyway. hmmmmmmmm.......
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brilliant 9 inch screen, excellent battery life, very accurate with quick updates, runs TomTom perfectly... Don't even need a data plan!

God I love my iPad 3G!

Um, I have a Sony product that does the same thing, it only has a 3.5" screen, but I find that to be plenty large enough to use with a quick glance. It is also compact enough to be mounted just above the rear view mirror in my van, leaving the passenger seat available for a passenger, my lunch, my clipboard, or whatever else I want to put there.

This nifty little device was about $80 three years ago, and I have never had to spend a penny on data service for it either.

Of course I can also do what you are doing with my Pam Pixi, which is hardly the pinnacle in wonder devices, I was doing the exact same thing you are doing with a Pentium 1 200MHZ CPU laptop ten years ago, once again, no data plan was needed, it had an amazing device called a "Hard Drive", you use the CD Rom device built into the laptop, you install the maps to the Hard Drive, and the next thing you know you are navigating, with voice prompts, with no data on a 12 inch screen.

Seriously, I am less than impressed with this new use for an Ipad.

Ummmm but I don't need a data plan to do it and my iPad still does everything else an iPad does and is far more useful than a 3.5 inch Sony, your Pixi or an antique laptop.

How is it any more useful than any of those devices? You have a tablet that you can use as a GPS, so this makes it more useful than a GPS that works just fine as a GPS? Name one thing that an Ipad can do that a cheapo Netbook can't? Seriously. what advantage does the Ipad have over a netbook? Is it the lack of a physical keyboard? Is that an advantage? The ability to run apps? last time I checked there was a fairly decent library of apps available for Windows based PC's. I am glad you like your Ipad, thrilled for you really, but alas, I am dieing to know, what exactly would I get from one that I don't get from existing technology?

Fair enough...

Form factor, iPad is easier to use in just about any position.  If I want to write a report, I'll use my netbook.  If I want to surf ARF in bed or on the train, it is just easier to use.  Before you ask, I wirelessly tether through my iPhone.

Seamless operating system with apps.  Everything just integrates so well.  I can zip through my screen and pull up what I want faster than I ever could on a computer.

Unlike a notebook I don't need to worry about bloatware slowing things down and malware and viruses are pretty much non-existent.

Games... having an accelerometer means I can actually move the pad and control movement.  On a computer I'm either using keys and/or a joystick.

Thinner and lighter than a netbook

Longer battery life, yes you can get 10 hours out of many netbooks but that traditionally requires a heavy battery.

Can use it as an easy to use ereader... yes you can run ereader programs on your netbook, but it is rather cumbersome to lay down on the couch or in bed and read with a netbook.

It is not a substitute for my laptop or notebook, but it does supplement it well, and if I want to go ultralight, it can do pretty much whatever I need.

It is not a substitute
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top