Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Very good movie....will buy for sure.

Page Two!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I loved the movie...my wife always laughs at me when I see someone outside and say "get off my lawn"
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Great movie !!!

Also knew a lot of old guys around here like him - glad some of them are still around and are still the same !!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched it with my 81 year old dad. I called him Walt a few times. In perfect Walt character he was not amused!!

Great movie, I was mad/sad at the end!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I am so glad you started this thread! I had kind of let this movie slip my mind. It is playing on PPV right now. So I am gonna go ahead and order it. I didn't really have any plans for the night anyway, so this will be the perfect time to take it in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I liked the movie but there were some unrealistic cheezy parts, almost Walker Texas Ranger type of cheezy but all in all it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent movie. I adore Clint Eastwood.

I hated the ending. I understood he had to die but I still wanted him to kill those SOB's.

Prison does not rehabilitate, so going to prison isn't punishment enough for some crimes.  JMO
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie. One has to wonder though. Did they choose the Hmong as a relatively "safe" ethnic group to be up against? Can you imagine if they chose a different group of ghetto scum? Then have Clint's character use the appropriate descriptive words for said group. Spike Lee would be livid!

BTW: That car was awesome!!

No, I think they chose the Hmong because they resemble a nationality we have actually fought against and the a still living combat vet might see them as "the people he fought against". I went to high school with a few. Another student had one over to eat supper one evening, not thinking about his dad being a Vietnam veteran. Both kids learned some colorful words and when the other went home, son says "dad, he's my friend. Why are you treating him like that?"
Dad says "It could have been his dad shooting at me with real bullets."
It just reinforces the notion that sometimes the inner war doesn't end when the politicians decide the fighting will end. If he'd been a Vietnam vet the movie would have been too cliche-we have 10 times as many during and post-Vietnam movies. Sure, Vietnam was hell, but people have come home fucked up from all wars(albeit not as many as from Vietnam). Gran Torino sort of shows that, and shows that even ground in opinions can change.

From what I understand, the Hmong fought alongside the US against the NVA and Vietcong. But I guess a vet may have trouble drawing that distinction because of the physical similarities between the two.

Awesome movie either way, I'm totally buying that one on Blu-ray.

Hmong  is a minority in VN . they where  recruited by US SF    mainly by SOG and did some of the most dangerous missions of the war.

My Dad is a Vietnam vet, and was wounded bad in the war , he is often a cranky bastard and   pretty insulting to the  asian people.  You should  have sen his face when I told him my girlfriend is from vietnam, and  here for college.   He has a  patch on his jacket  that says "VC hunting club"   haha

His reaction was not what I thought it would be
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Excellent movie. I adore Clint Eastwood.

I hated the ending. I understood he had to die but I still wanted him to kill those SOB's.

Prison does not rehabilitate, so going to prison isn't punishment enough for some crimes.  JMO

The movie was not about imprisoning or rehabilitating the gangbangers.

It was about the redemption of Walt and, to a lesser extent, the empowerment of his neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate to say it but I couldn't really enjoy this movie.  I  think Clint Eastwood is great, both as an actor and a director, but this movie just felt kinda off..

The acting mostly killed it for me, but it didn't seem as finely crafted as some of his other films.  

I'm not sorry I watched it, but I probably won't be seeing it again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hate to say it but I couldn't really enjoy this movie.  I  think Clint Eastwood is great, both as an actor and a director, but this movie just felt kinda off..

The acting mostly killed it for me, but it didn't seem as finely crafted as some of his other films.  

I'm not sorry I watched it, but I probably won't be seeing it again.

Did you watch the same movie as the rest of US.  It was great.  Ya it wasn't the flashy old school clint.  But it was a great story.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#13]
while I agreed with him on some of the stuff him constantly calling the neighbors gooks and zipperheads even when they were trying to be nice to him made him look like just an old crotchity racist
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
while I agreed with him on some of the stuff him constantly calling the neighbors gooks and zipperheads even when they were trying to be nice to him made him look like just an old crotchity racist

He talked disparagingly toward EVERY person in his life.

The movie was a little deeper than you give it credit for.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
OK since the spoiler warniong is posted in the heading I have a question-It's been said this will be Clint's last acting role. Anyone think that has anything to do with making a movie where he gets killed? I've said ti a couple people that him dying for the right reasons in a strong ending was a way to "go out strong", sort of like wanting to die well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Just finished it about 30 minutes ago.....................I really enjoyed it, but Toad, well, his acting wasn't up to par. Everything else, ok.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
So my wife and I were watching it earlier this afternoon.

When he first brings out the Garand, I say to her "I have to get one of those before they are gone/banned/etc..."

She says "You should get one for Father's Day."

Thank you, Clint Eastwood.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So my wife and I were watching it earlier this afternoon.

When he first brings out the Garand, I say to her "I have to get one of those before they are gone/banned/etc..."

She says "You should get one for Father's Day."

Thank you, Clint Eastwood.

Lucky Bastage

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Does someone actually have to spell out to you the fact that he treated everyone that way, to build an emotional wall between them and himself?  Do you not know any American  men born before 1950?  Clint Eastwood has always played pre-touchy feely, Alan Alda/Phil Donahue men better than any actors born after him, and most actors born before.  He is the last "Real Man" in Hollywood.  

Great movie.  Will buy.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I shouldn't have wasted the $20 for the DVD.  The movie was ok.  I didn't think it was great and I'm a huge Eastwood fan.  Walt was an asshole.  In real life, if someone acted like that they'd get their ass handed to them more then once.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does someone actually have to spell out to you the fact that he treated everyone that way, to build an emotional wall between them and himself?  Do you not know any American  men born before 1950?  Clint Eastwood has always played pre-touchy feely, Alan Alda/Phil Donahue men better than any actors born after him, and most actors born before.  He is the last "Real Man" in Hollywood.  

Great movie.  Will buy.  

This movie seems to be an interesting litmus test - I'm just not sure for what.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I shouldn't have wasted the $20 for the DVD. The movie was ok. I didn't think it was great and I'm a huge Eastwood fan. Walt was an asshole. In real life, if someone acted like that they'd get their ass handed to them more then once.
+100............I picked it up at Wally world for $15.00 Wed.  Too damn much. I was dissapointed, and I am a big Eastwood fan also.

Wish I'd have waited 2 months and picked it up for five dollars used. To me that's all it's worth!

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I ain't reading through this thread for a couple of hours. I just picked up the movie and hit play...

I will report back in a few.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I just finished it.  I hate sitting to watch a movie and hate most of them.  This one was a great movie.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:34:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Great movie. How would you guys have dealt with the 3 guys in the situation that the dude throwing out "bro" was in with the Hmong girl. Obviously most of us carry, but I'm just curious what others thing a plan of action would be.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:12:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I shouldn't have wasted the $20 for the DVD.  The movie was ok.  I didn't think it was great and I'm a huge Eastwood fan.  Walt was an asshole. In real life, if someone acted like that they'd get their ass handed to them more then once.

If you're talking about his general curmudgeony (sp?) behavior keep in mind that he tended to hang out with like minded folks and avoid anybody else.  If you're talking about him confronting the urban youth types and sticking guns in people's faces he probably had never done this before.  Prior to the events in the movie he probably would have shook his head or muttered under his breath.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Just watched it and it was a great movie.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I figure when his wife was alive he did few of the things he did in the movie.

But once she was buried and he was coughing up blood he did things how he wanted to do them.

I loved the part where he saves the girl from the 3 gangbangers and tells the white boy to get a life.

When he paid the barber the 20 bucks you saw a new side of the character I think.  Surprised the barber a bit.

While I hated the ending I did not figure out what he did in korea to the person who was just trying to surrender until the movie ended.  I had suspicions but did not put 2 and 2 together until I realized how jumpy people get and how he had to live for so long knowing he had shot and killed someone who just wanted to surrender.

I consider it a solid movie in clint's collection.  If you want to look deep at some of his movies you will not find a lot.  But for some amusement and entertainment I think he did well.

As far as how to deal with getting the girl away from the gangbangers in real life, I don't have a clue what I would do.  I sure the heck can't see getting as close to them as he did.

As far as the crappy acting goes, I rather liked it because in so much of life today people are playing characters that they think they want to be.

I loved how gardening was women's work in the hmong culture but clint had the only decent looking yard and house when compared to his neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just finished it about 30 minutes ago.....................I really enjoyed it, but Toad, well, his acting wasn't up to par. Everything else, ok.

+1  It was passable at times, for the shy kid but when he was angry (the basement door scene) it was bad.

His directing in this movie is great, beautiful movie
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Taking Chance is a great movie as well, but don't watch it if you want to look tough.

My Girlfriend and I watched it together and we were both bawling at the end of it
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Great movie. How would you guys have dealt with the 3 guys in the situation that the dude throwing out "bro" was in with the Hmong girl. Obviously most of us carry, but I'm just curious what others thing a plan of action would be.

This, with slight modification for the additional bad  guy
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Just like real life, the better situation would have been for the family to move out of the damned neighborhood.

He should have ordered the house sold and the money given to the family on the condition that they sell their house to and move out of the ghetto.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just like real life, the better situation would have been for the family to move out of the damned neighborhood.
He should have ordered the house sold and the money given to the family on the condition that they sell their house to and move out of the ghetto.

That "Ghetto" was his neighborhood!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top