Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I make mead.

Typically takes 6 months to make a batch.

Makes the store bought stuff taste like... Crap.
Mead is the best drink evar... Only displaced by ales because they are faster/easier to make.

Is it difficult? what would you need to do it yourself?
carboy, airlock/stopper, wateer, honey, wine yeast.

i have a 1 gallon batch sitting in the corner.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread makes me dislike Amon Amarth and that makes me sad.

The first time I tried mead I was expecting the most awesome drink on earth because Beowulf and Vikings drank it. That to me screams testosterone.

I thought when I drank it I would end up fist fighting other mead drinking barbarians and having sex with my wife in a drunken public frenzy while knife fighting packs of wolves.

Instead I was given this putridly sweet wine like substance that gave me the spins, although it did make me want to punch someone.

Months later I discovered jaegermeister which is what I decided that Vikings were actually drinking and in the earliest example of OPSEC Vikings passed on recipes for this sissy ass bullshit that we now call mead to prevent their awesomeness from falling into the wrong hands and make invading easier.

You've only had shitty mead.  

I got my nose broken at that show and didn't even care because mead made me what Liam Neeson wanted to be in that stupid movie about wolves and plane crashes.

You're lucky that Amon Amarth are descendants of the Asa gods, so you were probably drinking real mead (aka jaegermeister mixed with virgin blood) not fermented bee piss
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Making it myself intrigues me. All i need is a crock pot, you say?

Buy the books I mentioned.  Even if you never brew, they're fascinating reading.

There is more to know than is practical for me to write down here, but it's neither extensive nor difficult.  The equipment will run you about $50, and each batch costs about $40-50 for mid-grade honey.  You can go to as much as $150 for a 5-gallon batch if you use super expensive honey, but, well, screw that.

I'd tell you to stop by the Home Brewing Forum as well, but that place gets about as much traffic as the cooking forum.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
honey wine

mulled wine is fairly close

and you can do it yourself in a crock pot

Ummm, no.  If you mean close as in it has fermented and has alcohol, then yeah.  Otherwise, no....
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a chance several years ago to take a tour of Rabbit's Foot Meadery. Class act operation and a tasty product. Properly made mead most of the sugars have been converted to alcohol and it reminds me more of a fruity dry white wine then anything else. You should be able to find it at larger liquor stores.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first time I tried mead I was expecting the most awesome drink on earth because Beowulf and Vikings drank it. That to me screams testosterone.

I thought when I drank it I would end up fist fighting other mead drinking barbarians and having sex with my wife in a drunken public frenzy while knife fighting packs of wolves.

Instead I was given this putridly sweet wine like substance that gave me the spins, although it did make me want to punch someone.

Months later I discovered jaegermeister which is what I decided that Vikings were actually drinking and in the earliest example of OPSEC Vikings passed on recipes for this sissy ass bullshit that we now call mead to prevent their awesomeness from falling into the wrong hands and make invading easier.

I got my nose broken at that show and didn't even care because mead made me what Liam Neeson wanted to be in that stupid movie about wolves and plane crashes.

You're lucky that Amon Amarth are descendants of the Asa gods, so you were probably drinking real mead (aka jaegermeister mixed with virgin blood) not fermented bee piss

Word.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Start with this, trust me....

This guy knows what he's talking about.....

Quoted:

I had a chance several years ago to take a tour of Rabbit's Foot Meadery. Class act operation and a tasty product. Properly made mead most of the sugars have been converted to alcohol and it reminds me more of a fruity dry white wine then anything else. You should be able to find it at larger liquor stores.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife loves Gewürztraminer white wine. Would she like mead?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mead can be upwards of 15% alcohol and very not-sweet if the right guy makes it... I call mead similar to this Viking Mead.

Mead can also be sweet, lower in alcohol content and poisoned with fruity bullshit... Girls love that kind of mead. Makes it handy to have around.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a gallon of Mead downstairs right now. Needs a couple more months and I can try it.

It's not hard to make at all... I just hope I did it right.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Holy hell woman, we've got a multipage thread on this very topic right here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, angel
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've never had it. I thought it would be fun to drink Mead while playing Skyrim. What can you tell me about it? What does it taste like? What kind is good, what kind should I avoid, etc?

If its made right it'll make your panties fall off......

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never had it. I thought it would be fun to drink Mead while playing Skyrim. What can you tell me about it? What does it taste like? What kind is good, what kind should I avoid, etc?

Thank god my SO is around to catch them
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Very similar to wine from a taste and body stand-point. Honey is generally the fermentable vehicle used. Selection ranges from standard honey varieties all the way to Natual herbs/flavors added. Very strong and very easy to make. Personally I find it too sweet for my tastes.

Have you ever tried a Lambic style beer? If not you should.....

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very similar to wine from a taste and body stand-point. Honey is generally the fermentable vehicle used. Selection ranges from standard honey varieties all the way to Natual herbs/flavors added. Very strong and very easy to make. Personally I find it too sweet for my tastes.

I haven't. Any particular one you'd recommend?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa...

That'll surely help me on my path to monkhood!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#19]
A friend gave me a bottle of homemade blueberry mead. It was pretty damn good. The blueberries we get up here are much better than those store bought things.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Steer clear of the Hidden Legend Winery brand of mead.  Kinda nasty.  Every kind I have tried has a nasty chemical smell and taste.  I don't know WTF they have been doing to screw it up but you have been warned.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, angel

Daw.

Er yeah, no problem, Toots.

After reading that thread, I decided to give it a try myself.  I've done some homebrewing, but I've never made mead before.  It just looks too easy not to try.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#22]
They only have Chaucers
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Made it in college in the room.  You can tailor it to your taste.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They only have Chaucers

That stuff is horrid.

(personal opinion)
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm using my tax refund to make some.

never home brewed before but one of my parents friend made some and it was the shit served hot with a Cinnamon stick in it when it was heated.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I buy a couple of bottles every year at the ren fest we attend.

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#27]
IT'S THE DEBIL!!!!

When I was stationed in Germany, I was at one of the local festivals where they had mead.  And yes large quantities were consumed.  I then time traveled to the next morning where I woke up wearing a pair of steel gauntlets and a hangover that lasted 2 days.  I still have no idea how I got the gauntlets.  They were selling for about 150 Euro, and I didn't have that much cash with me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They only have Chaucers

That stuff is horrid.

(personal opinion)

I will take your word for it. I bought Moscato instead. What kind of self-respecting Nord warrior drinks sparkly wine?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They only have Chaucers

That stuff is horrid.

(personal opinion)

I will take your word for it. I bought Moscato instead. What kind of self-respecting Nord warrior drinks sparkly wine?

Alto wine?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't. Any particular one you'd recommend?

Lindermans is available here in the states just about everywhere but you might have to call around to find a bottle. The Framboise (Raspberry,) is the most populular but I like the Black Current the best but you hardly ever see it on shelves.

[URL=http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/lindemans-framboise/342/]Framboise[/URL
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Its a honey wine. There are many kinds.

Try few. Most are gross. If you like a port wine get a sweet sack mead like Chuacers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Best I made was done ghetto style.

2 liter soda bottles, balloons, raisins, honey, water and champagne yeast.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prove you're a Viking... Do that using bread yeast.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I did the first batch. I used the rapid rise yeast from the grocery store. It same out fine. I just wanted a stronger batch so tried Champagne yeast the second time and it did well also.

The batch using the rapid  bread yeast tasted awesome immediately after fermenting and bottled. I was amazed. It was cloudy as hell though and was using egg whites to clear it. I might do it again and just buy an electronic filter. I hate waiting almost a year to drink it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Its good stuff...can be a bit zweet for my taste,but the wife likes it well enough

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I did the first batch. I used the rapid rise yeast from the grocery store. It same out fine. I just wanted a stronger batch so tried Champagne yeast the second time and it did well also.

The batch using the rapid  bread yeast tasted awesome immediately after fermenting and bottled. I was amazed. It was cloudy as hell though and was using egg whites to clear it. I might do it again and just buy an electronic filter. I hate waiting almost a year to drink it.

That's curious, the batch I did with bread yeast came out tasting like a raiding party was rape, pillage and plundering in your mouth.

Might've been other factors at play, though.

I've heard people say Irish Moss helps to clear mead up, but I've not tried it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#37]
tastes like armpit

oh and we do have a homebrew forum
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Would mead be good for someone in late-stage liver failure?

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#39]
It is good stuff,I don't drink it often.I'm going to look for some local tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#40]
A good quality Mead is a work of art, and, it's the tasty liquid equivalent to a Honey covered cinder-block to the back of the head. At last that is what it feels like the next morning. I like the heavy, strong stuff. There are some weaker light honey wine brands floating around that are pretty tame, and disappointing.

Get a bottle of Viking Blod.  Just don't be too pissed when you wake up the next day covered in the blood of your enemies after going Berserk. I may have to break some out and then run around naked shooting arrows at Giants.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's like drinking a Bud Light and then thinking all beer sucks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

A good quality Mead is a work of art, and, it's the tasty liquid equivalent to a Honey covered cinder-block to the back of the head. At last that is what it feels like the next morning. I like the heavy, strong stuff. There are some weaker light honey wine brands floating around that are pretty tame, and disappointing.

Get a bottle of Viking Blod.  Just don't be too pissed when you wake up the next day covered in the blood of your enemies after going Berserk. I may have to break some out and then run around naked shooting arrows at Giants.

Oh, you play Skyrim too?

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You need a crock pot to heat the must.  Not to boil it.  Boiling is not needed.  Just getting it up to about 155 degrees to pasteurize and dissolve the honey.  I usually do around 3lb honey per gallon.  

Then you need something to ferment it in.  Homebrew shops sell bigass buckets.  You'll also need an airlock so the CO2 can vent out.  (Fermenting is basically yeast eating sugar, pissing alcohol and farting CO2).  After a month or so, you'll need to 'rack' it (pump into something else) into something like another bucket or glass carboy.  Then give it a few more months.  Racking helps you get rid of the lees (dead yeast cells).  It's usually done by siphon, either with an autosiphon (I highly recommend) or by other methods, but NOT by 'suck starting' it.  

SANITATION is critical.  Not just clean gear, but SANITIZED gear.  

Overall, Mead is VERY easy to make, but it takes time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#44]
http://stormthecastle.com/mead/fast-cheap-mead-making.htm

This is how I started.   Now i make 5gallon batches of mead, and cider.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#45]
The one time I had mead was by a girlfriend who was really into medieval things.  She got a M.Phil in medieval Scandinavian history from the University of Oslo.  But she made a batch of mead and gave me some.  Tasty.   It's too expensive to buy in the store, $30/750 ml, I would rather make it sometime myself.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank god my SO is around to catch them

He's a Damned lucky guy  That said,k that Cherry Cyser sounds pretty darn good...i havent had meade in ages
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much lol

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's like drinking a Bud Light and then thinking all beer sucks.

True story I was so scarred by the taste of cheap beer as a child and further by the smell of whatever swill my friends drank as teenagers, that I was straight edge until I was 25 and didn't drink beer until I was 28.

So maybe when I'm 40 I'll give mead another shot or Thor himself delivers me a glass whichever comes first.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top