Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I think now you have reached full retard status. The grip and back strap looked good. Personally not digging the slide, not sure what purpose it serves, and not liking the visual.

To each his own. Great job on the actual work though, very clean and symmetrical.

ETA: pg 3 ownage, lol in 9 years i don't think I could claim a page ownage. Need to post more.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
F'ing win!

Looks like you bejazzled your M&P.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
yo balls is huge!!!!!

I could never bring myself to take a dremel to a gun.

It looks great!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow,WTF is going on here?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You sir, are a dremel god!

Looks good!  Not my personal cup o' tea on the slide, but it does look damn good.

ETA: Duracoat it brown.  Or, a gunshop refinished my dad's M&P slide with nickel teflon somethign or other.  looked great.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
That's.. actually not that bad
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm being facetious about the Dremel.  I used a mill, guys.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This I figured.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I was right with you till you did the tab under the slide.

Other wise it looks well done.

My first thought.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Damn you!  I knew it was too good!

<––––––––- pW3nd

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy cock and balls
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is mine I did about 4 years ago. Still feels and shoots great. Have done all my other FRP guns except the mosquito.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Enjoy this brief period of respite. ARFCOM may crucify you if they catch wind of this.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it looks neat in the white, but it does look, well, dremeled. Refinish in IonBond or even Melonite, and the top notches would match the existing slide serrations and look really good IMO.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Put it up for sale on Gun Broker!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#16]
So how much would you charge to do that to my slide?
I like it alot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
If the slide was refinished would the top serrations look identical to the factory sides?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's mine. My only regret is doing the mag release. Oh well, I can order another. I've since sanded and redone the fronstrap since I wasn't happy with it. It looks much better now than in this pic though you can't really tell:

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Any reason you M&P guys don't like going up the backstrap?  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's mine. My only regret is doing the mag release. Oh well, I can order another. I've since sanded and redone the fronstrap since I wasn't happy with it. It looks much better now than in this pic though you can't really tell:

http://i45.tinypic.com/1z5t2bl.jpg  

I have paid attention to the dozens of different stippling styles and that pic is the first one that I could live with on my gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I forgot to add, if you have a really nice Dremel like mine at home, and you'd like to duplicate this pattern, I used a 0.250" carbide cutter, and the centers of the scales are 0.200" in both axis, alternated 0.100" each row.  You gotta be really careful and hold the Dremel at 10 degrees.  I had to kinda stick my tongue out to hold it just right.

You're lucky. My dremel lays on it's side.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

http://i47.tinypic.com/10clxkk.jpg

When establishing my firing grip on the holstered gun, I want the web of my hand slide up as high as possible instead of sticking in the first place it touches.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I forgot to add, if you have a really nice Dremel like mine at home, and you'd like to duplicate this pattern, I used a 0.250" carbide cutter, and the centers of the scales are 0.200" in both axis, alternated 0.100" each row.  You gotta be really careful and hold the Dremel at 10 degrees.  I had to kinda stick my tongue out to hold it just right.

Really nice Dremel, AKA milling machine......
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]
That actually doesn't look that bad.   Not that I would do that to any of my pistols.   Good job milling it though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i47.tinypic.com/10clxkk.jpg

When establishing my firing grip on the holstered gun, I want the web of my hand slide up as high as possible instead of sticking in the first place it touches.

I guess it's a problem you can have if you actually have a beavertail on your gun

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Looks nice, good job. but. . .
I'm thinking the surface hardness has been compromised.
Wondering if the slide should be re-heat treated?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I was gonna call a strong BS on the dremel before you outed yourself.

Dad was a machinist for 30 yrs, so Ive seen some mill work.  The precise overlap and concentric tool marks give it away.

I have a Foredom hanging in my shop (Kinda a Professional Dremel so to speak) and it aint yielding that...

BTW I wouldnt do any of this, but you did a decent job.  Of course I readily cut up my $30k Jeep, so I cant say much.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably wouldn't do the slide work on my gun, but it looks pretty sweet and you did a damn nice job with it.

Stippling looks great, I've been kicking that around also.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#31]
you had me until the slide stuff.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#32]
And now blasted.  I'm digging the 2 tone look.  I might change my mind, but I can't Tennifer in the back yard, you know?  So I'll leave it like this for a while.  Now I need some sights.  Or maybe I'll mill a pocket for a Trijicon RMR.  Definitely getting a threaded barrel and hopefully an Osprey 9.  We'll see.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Looks nice, good job. but. . .

I'm thinking the surface hardness has been compromised.

Wondering if the slide should be re-heat treated?

Well, let's thing about that.  If it were surface hardened, what would the purpose be?  It's not bearing any pressure, and it's a heavy enough slide it doesn't depend on a case for strength.  Wear would be the only thing that comes to mind.  Easily accomplished with one of the surface treatments like melonite.

I did not notice any case "breakthrough" when milling.  I know what it feels like in the mill, as I've had to machine case hardened items in the past.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If the slide was refinished would the top serrations look identical to the factory sides?

It's very close, but not exactly the same.  They use a different process for sure.  I'm guessing they're forged into the slide, however, if they are machined, they're contouring them and not plunge cutting them.  Something I can't easily duplicate (notice the small radius on the peaks of the factory serrations.)

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

So how much would you charge to do that to my slide?
I like it alot.

I don't do gun work for pay.  If you look at a previous link in this thread however, there is a great shop that will do it for you, listed.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#38]
On a side note, holy shit is it a bitch getting out the extractor pin!  I ended up grinding a special short punch and putting it in my hydraulic press to get it started.  It was like pressing the barrel pin out of a Romanian AK.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#39]
It's the best looking M&P I've seen, only thing I'd change is make the stipling smaller.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#40]
At first i thought this was gonna be another dremel flute job but it looks nice. Wish i could do something like this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#41]
sir, that loos awesome. Ain't nothing wrong with personalizing a gun and making it unique. Ballsy too
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Did you even consider weight and strength before you started cutting?  I mean if you did all the math and came up with an answer that's fine.  Hell, it's your gun do whatever you want to it, but I wonder sometimes if those of you with dremels and even home mills ever bother to consider that a gun is more than just parts, it's a functioning machine, there's a lot of engineering that goes into making it reliable and durable.  Did you consider that or did you just think "Me want pretty gun!" and start mucking with it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Did you even consider weight and strength before you started cutting?  I mean if you did all the math and came up with an answer that's fine.  Hell, it's your gun do whatever you want to it, but I wonder sometimes if those of you with dremels and even home mills ever bother to consider that a gun is more than just parts, it's a functioning machine, there's a lot of engineering that goes into making it reliable and durable.  Did you consider that or did you just think "Me want pretty gun!" and start mucking with it?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Wait, you're serious?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, you're serious?

I think so . My first thought is it looks awsome , but I wonder how much weight it cut off the slide, and will it need different recoil springs or not?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, you're serious?

I think so . My first thought is it looks awsome , but I wonder how much weight it cut off the slide, and will it need different recoil springs or not?

Half an ounce of weight will not affect the function of the pistol.

The slide of the M&P Pro and 9L are identical accept for differing slide weights (9L is an ounce lighter), and they both work fine.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, you're serious?

or will it crack, because it's now thinner ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, you're serious?

or will it crack, because it's now thinner ?

No. The slides on the M&P Pro and 9L are much thinner than the standard M&P, and they hold up just fine.

Gunsmiths have been doing millwork like this on slides for decades––this isn't anything new.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#50]
You did some very, very bad things to that slide. And I like it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top