[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have any metric system countries gone to the Moon?  NO

Have any non-metric system countries gone to the Moon?  YES
View Quote
That shit may have been funny 30 years ago. You know, before we had to pay the russkies to fly our astronauts to space, on very metric rockets.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The whole metric system of measurement is based on two scratches on a bar of platinum...  how is that any better then a foot or yard or inch?  If you are just fascinated by base ten, then I highly recommend looking into base two, it's much superior.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...that metric is superior.  You intellectual plebeians may now attempt to reply with your irrational and inferior rebuttals.
View Quote
That's a bold statement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Speed of light is exactly 299792458 meters per second... should of been 300000000....
View Quote
Imperial units have a much better approximation:  1 foot per nanosecond

Taking a special relativity class as an undergrad was literally the only science class in which I used Imperial units, because that approximation is so damn useful.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I am too, and I agree wholeheartedly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quite the opposite.  The fact that metric is fundamentally based off of dimensional relationships demonstrates that God Himself approves of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Metric is for godless communists.
Quite the opposite.  The fact that metric is fundamentally based off of dimensional relationships demonstrates that God Himself approves of it.
I write all of my essays in Liberation Serif for the same reason.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#10]
"The metric system is the tool of the Devil!  My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!"

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]
10mm is best mm
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I would agree that metric is superior in theory.

But metric is inferior in the USA because our standard is english and that's how people view things.

Tell someone "travel 1 mile" and they get about how far that is.  Tell someone "travel 1.61 km" and they are going to look at you sideways.

I use metric when I write science stuff, because technically it is easier to work with.  But in my day-to-day I stick with english.

The worst is a car that has both metric & english bolts though.  Pick one.  Put a label under the hood that just says "metric" or "english" so I don't have to guess which socket tray to bring.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I never claimed to have Autism, I stated that I was on the autism spectrum.  You have either failed to read, or lack basic comprehension skills, and are thus unworthy of participating in this thread.
View Quote
That is exactly what an autist would say...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Metric sucks,
View Quote
FPNI.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I have it on unverified and speculative authority that EVERYONE is on the spectrum, somewhere.

I often fail to listen to people I know are wrong.

And sometimes I like to run my salad fingers over rusty spoons.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's not American, therefore it sucks!

America began its downfall when our grandparents decided to give in and let a little metric creep in.
View Quote
Give them a centimeter and they took a kilometer?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Metric is better by any objective criteria.  I still prefer imperial units because that's what I used growing up and I'm smart enough to handle the conversions.

We will be using imperial units in this country for the foreseeable future.  Older people make the decisions 'round here, and older people tend to resist change.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
...that metric is superior.  You intellectual plebeians may now attempt to reply with your irrational and inferior rebuttals.
View Quote
Go back to France.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would agree that metric is superior in theory.

But metric is inferior in the USA because our standard is english and that's how people view things.

Tell someone "travel 1 mile" and they get about how far that is.  Tell someone "travel 1.61 km" and they are going to look at you sideways.

I use metric when I write science stuff, because technically it is easier to work with.  But in my day-to-day I stick with english.

The worst is a car that has both metric & english bolts though.  Pick one.  Put a label under the hood that just says "metric" or "english" so I don't have to guess which socket tray to bring.
View Quote
i totally agree
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Metric sucks,
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Sweet!

Could you peel this orange for me, or dig out the drawstring in my hoodie???

Wait..... thats methhead work. Nvrmnd
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Mils > MOA
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's not like the Euro's are measuring down to the millimeter every time; most people round off. At the same time, you can still do precise machine-work in fractions of an inch. It isn't the system that matters, it's the person doing the craft.
View Quote
When I measure time, I use my foot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thread after thread after pitiful thread with claims of superiority of a metric or SI system of measures.

Never a computation that proves or gives the claim the slightest support.  I have given plenty of examples that disproves the claim where it matters.

The use of simple measures such a liter or millimeter is trivial.  If SI is superior, explain the reason the fundamental mass unit is kilograms, not grams.  Messed it up right out of the gate.

How many of the "power users" here understand the difference in grams and Newtons?  Why is there a need for Newtons or Watts, why not express those quantities in their fundamental units?  That's what a serious advocate would do.
View Quote
To expand, physics and chemistry use two different forms of metric: MKS and CGS. The fundamental derived units of physics, like the Newton, are one thousand times larger than they should be. And one fundamental unit of chemistry involves attenuation of a laser through a fluid, by the Beer-Lampert law. I don't recall if there is a unit name for this, but I recall that the basic unit of length is the centimeter. This unit is one hundredth of the size you would expect simply by deriving from base units.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Last I checked, an eighth was still an eighth of an ounce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And drug dealers.
Last I checked, an eighth was still an eighth of an ounce.
You're talking about a plant.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

this - commie units.
View Quote
Metric should be outlawed in this country, starting now, wouldn't make anyone sad in the least. It's all bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Metric is superior.

I still use Imperial measurements unless I'm doing science-y stuff.

MAGA
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A liter of soda, a half-kilo of rice, a quarter meter, etc.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Metric is great for calculations, but for conveying information in a meaningful and intuitive way, imperial is superior.
A liter of soda, a half-kilo of rice, a quarter meter, etc.....
No.

Metric is used for soda, drugs, and inferior handgun calibers... all things that will get you deaded.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Of metric sucks then why are 9mm and 10mm both better than .45ACP?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#33]
How the hell am I supposed to hand load ammo without using grains?  Do faggots in Europe measure bullet and powder weight in grams?  Oh wait, they aren't allowed to have guns...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Metric sucks, and let me tell you why.

If you've ever picked up a wrench (or a socket) before, you know that 10mm sockets disappear out of thin air. It's an unexplained phenomenon that has kept places like Snap-On in business replacing lost sockets.

Now let me ask you, when was the last time that a SAE socket disappeared on you? Never! Clearly the metric system is a conspiracy perpetrated by the tool makers to keep us all enslaved to their tool trucks replacing 10mm sockets.

Fight the system, OP. Demand to use SAE tools on your next mechanical checkup!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Metric is for people who can only count to ten, and then do it over again.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Could you buy chance derive the log likelihood function for a panel spatial error Tobit model? I currently have no autists available to aid me.
View Quote
Stata > SAS for this stuff.  "SPTOBITSDMXT"

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Autism does not correlate with elevated IQ. You can be of below average IQ and be autistic.

Autism is an indicator of abnormal socialization, not high IQ.

"Look at me I'm autistic! I'm special, I eat paste and hit things...a regular Einstein I am."
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Autism does not correlate with elevated IQ. You can be of below average IQ and be autistic.

"Look at me I'm autistic! I'm special, I eat paste and hit things...a regular Einstein I am."
View Quote
Clearly OP is being somewhat sarcastic.

Ummm, buddy, I got some bad news for you...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Metric ftw. Also screw fractional tools and measurements, decimal all the things.
View Quote
^^ TRUTH ^^
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#40]
My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

Imeperial measurement is dumb. Metric should have replaced it decades ago.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
look at dsm 5 or icd10 diagnosis cryteria. Anyway, in ASD patients a low iq is more Common than an high one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Was the Malaysia Airlines 370 aircraft built to imperial or metric specs?

Could be relevant ...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#45]
How do you layout 16" O.C. with this?

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#46]
wswartzendruber: ...that metric is superior.  You intellectual plebeians may now attempt to reply with your irrational and inferior rebuttals.
View Quote
Do you have more piss jugs or cum rags?
Does a master autist collect his nail clippings or just let them grow?
Is the secret seasoning to tendies dandruff flakes or foot sweat drained from crocs?
Is the way to true enlightenment adderall or jenkem?

EDIT
200 posts ago, this would have been a beautiful post
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How many degrees of longitude does a kilometer represent? What even number of kilometers describes the earth's diameter or radius? What even number of centimeters describes the average foot, hand, arm span?

I love metric for certain applications, it's certainly easier to do math with, but some SAE measures make more sense for practical measurements.
View Quote
I love MGRS.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top