Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the bottom of the food chain dude, get rid of it. If it can't hunt and can't protect it's a cat.  And I hate cat's. They're women in little fur coats.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
spoken like a true pit-bull owner.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
By the way, which one of you named him DUDLEY?!?!?!  That's probably most of why you're having problems!  Atleast you didn't name him something really weird like "Terry" or something.

He came with that name, so don't blame us.  On the other hand, I am somewhat thankful that Cooper didn't answer to his first name: Stanley.

And as an update...the behavior is much improved today.  The ignoring always works, but we are suckers when it comes to him.  He should win an Academy Award for all the faking of shit he does.  Oh well...he's not going to a new home now unless he starts this shit again while I am watching the RNC.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
" tumor removal, x-rays and treatment for disintegrating hip joints, allergies and now arthritis."

Give him his F-ing treats already !      

GM  

That's what started this whole thing!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
We had a rescued Basset with barking habits.  A beer can with a couple of hex nuts in it.  Starts inappropriate barking, told her "NO, Quiet" another bark, threw the can very near her.  After a few days either "NO BARK" or rattling  the can, then just "No Bark", then picking up the can and then just "No Bark" did the trick.

Our curent rescued bassets ignored the thrown can, so the next step up would be to throw it to hit them.  We decided that that wasn't acceptable, and clearly for a decrepit Yorky overkill in too many ways.  So we used the squirt bottle routine. It worked and now all we have to do is ask them if they want "The Bottle" and they shut up.  Or if we pick-up anything that appears to be a spray bottle.  They need a little refreser training though, I think the wife and sons have been feeding too many snacks to get desired reactions.  Now they don't obey other things until they get the snack.  

As noted RESCUED dogs can be pretty messed up, you probably don't know what abuse they have suffered and what will trigger a negative reaction, so training can be a challenge.  Our Sam was under-fed and apparently trained to stay off furniture by physical violence.  She was mentally unable to jump when we got her, we had to train her to jump.  Food worked real well, but she was liable to aggressively and dangerously go after any kind of food, so we had to be real judicious.  Sam would baark whever our othe basset would get on the couch or a bed, she will even bark at people  who get up on things.  Clearly she is telling the other dog or the people to look out and get down.  It's taken about 6 years but I can hold a treat in my hand and she will only nuzzle to get it, when we first got her she would bite her way to food, using the bite as a tool and warning.  Now she only gets mean when you try to take a piece of meat away from her.  She gets frustrated though, she knows if she bites at Daddy the meat gets away when she opens her mouth.  Lilly leaps up and knocks or grabs things down and then Sam takes it away from her. Be glad you have Yorkies, you oughta see what happens when one idiot basset gets a bag of flour and then tries to run away from the other basset chasing her to get it away from her.

Yes,  bassets eat flour, bananas, whole cantaloupes, apples, corn on the cob, corn cob, tomatoes and berries off the vine, whole cans of altoids from purses (both Moms and guests), gum and other candies from  my 19 year olds buddies' back packs.  They were sitting around the outdoor fireplace the other night and the girls rifled their bags for goodies while they weren't paying attention.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]

That's what started this whole thing!!

I know how you feel.

My dog will not eat dog food I must cook rice (fluffy rice only she will not eat gummy rice) and then put canned chicken in it, white meat only she will not eat dark meat chicken. I have several times tried to make her eat dog food… All I learned is she will go at least 6 days without eating.

Yes, bassets eat flour, bananas, whole cantaloupes, apples, corn on the cob, corn cob, tomatoes and berries off the vine, whole cans of altoids from purses (both Moms and guests), gum and other candies from my 19 year olds buddies' back packs. They were sitting around the outdoor fireplace the other night and the girls rifled their bags for goodies while they weren't paying attention.

Not my basset (rescued).

Meats she will eat: White meat chicken (no dark meat), hamburger steak and peppered beef jerky no other beef, pork makes her throw up, she loves shellfish. Will not eat hot dogs, sausages, ect.

Vegetables and fruit: nothing

Breads: banana bread or toast with butter (no margarine) nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get a shock collar.

+1000

I got one for my dog upon recommendation for behavior adjustment, best thing I've ever done for any dog I've ever had.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
OMG, my neighbor has one of those small dogs and he doesn't shut the fuk up!  I never wanted to kill a dog until I moved next to these people with this useless fuk of a dog. The lady treats him like a cat, she never walks him, he poops in a cat box in the house. She lets him out around her house, but as soon as he sees a person, dog, cat, bird, he starts fukin barking and barking and fukin barking. I have a golden retriever and whenever the little sh!t next door starts barking, I let my dog out so he will drive the little sh!t even more crazy, in hopes of giving it a heart attack because he is so fat, he can't breathe too good.

For your Yorkie, if your at your wits end and nothing is helping, I would check out a dog trainer in our area, maybe they can help you out.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
living proof that good looks can go a long ways,

get another friendly dog for him to goof off with,
2 dogs are easier to take care of than one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We had a rescued Basset with barking habits.  A beer can with a couple of hex nuts in it.  Starts inappropriate barking, told her "NO, Quiet" another bark, threw the can very near her.  After a few days either "NO BARK" or rattling  the can, then just "No Bark", then picking up the can and then just "No Bark" did the trick.

Our curent rescued bassets ignored the thrown can, so the next step up would be to throw it to hit them.  We decided that that wasn't acceptable, and clearly for a decrepit Yorky overkill in too many ways.  So we used the squirt bottle routine. It worked and now all we have to do is ask them if they want "The Bottle" and they shut up.  Or if we pick-up anything that appears to be a spray bottle.  They need a little refreser training though, I think the wife and sons have been feeding too many snacks to get desired reactions.  Now they don't obey other things until they get the snack.  

As noted RESCUED dogs can be pretty messed up, you probably don't know what abuse they have suffered and what will trigger a negative reaction, so training can be a challenge.  Our Sam was under-fed and apparently trained to stay off furniture by physical violence.  She was mentally unable to jump when we got her, we had to train her to jump.  Food worked real well, but she was liable to aggressively and dangerously go after any kind of food, so we had to be real judicious.  Sam would baark whever our othe basset would get on the couch or a bed, she will even bark at people  who get up on things.  Clearly she is telling the other dog or the people to look out and get down.  It's taken about 6 years but I can hold a treat in my hand and she will only nuzzle to get it, when we first got her she would bite her way to food, using the bite as a tool and warning.  Now she only gets mean when you try to take a piece of meat away from her.  She gets frustrated though, she knows if she bites at Daddy the meat gets away when she opens her mouth.  Lilly leaps up and knocks or grabs things down and then Sam takes it away from her. Be glad you have Yorkies, you oughta see what happens when one idiot basset gets a bag of flour and then tries to run away from the other basset chasing her to get it away from her.

Yes,  bassets eat flour, bananas, whole cantaloupes, apples, corn on the cob, corn cob, tomatoes and berries off the vine, whole cans of altoids from purses (both Moms and guests), gum and other candies from  my 19 year olds buddies' back packs.  They were sitting around the outdoor fireplace the other night and the girls rifled their bags for goodies while they weren't paying attention.

Thankfully the ignoring is working pretty well right now.  We certainly caused this particular problem, but he came with a whole slew of them.  We have been able to break him of about everything, but he's really good at training US.  He had to take some pretty awful medicine recently as a result of some dental work and that's what started the treat craze.  The sad thing is, we made him believe that some of his other meds were treats, so it was becoming a real problem.  Anyway, I am very thankful that Dudley doesn't have enough teeth left to eat half of the stuff that your dogs do!  He is a known dumpster diver though!

Oh, and for those that failed to read mine and QS' previous posts:

We are not putting a shock collar on him.  Read before you post!!!

ML

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top