Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
A nice person from some alphabet office shows up at your door.  And politely shows a badge and wants to ask questions.  Depending on how you answer, will determine if you're gonna have a interesting day or not.  If you have said item they are looking for they will take from you, while you protest about how you bought it legally.  They then tell you to file a claim for compensation, and have a nice day.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I find it interesting that the government can apparently tell you the proper status of every piece of military hardware ever made, but couldn't even begin to identify the top five items most frequently purchased with EBT cards.

You're joking right?  We lose millions of dollars of equipment a year.  Shit, Bradleys go missing.  That's why we have Finacial Liability Investigation for Property Loss(FLIPL).  They are the bane of every Officer's exsistence.  Especially as a Captain.  Weird thing, Captains for the most part are financially liable for almost every piece of equipment(at least in the Army).  After Battery/Troop/Company Command Officers for the most part never sign for equipment again(as a primary hand recepit holder).
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
....DT
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm trying to remember, but I remember a bit back there was a thread and it was mentioned that Trijicon's records are "only part of the story" and that it's very much possible that the ACOG was not actually sold to the military despite their (Trijicon's) internal records. Had to call some office that dealt with stolen military property to find out of the specific S/N was actually stolen or something like that.

It's been a while and I forget the specifics, though I'm almost positive that was the jist of it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never been in the military so this is probably going to sound dumb but what do you get to keep?  My step-brother got out of the Marines in the mid-80's and he brought home all sorts of stuff. Nothing really valuable, web gear, canteens, M-16 magazines, stuff like that. Was that stuff stolen or do you get to keep some stuff?

Buying replacement gear, getting handed extra gear by soldiers ETS'ing, and worst of all being told you have to pay for a piece of gear that's been beat to hell simply because you had to use it. It's almost impossible to keep pinholes from wet weather bags, sweaters from getting snags, frayed edges on ammo pouches, etc, but when it's time to outprocess the toughest and most stressful part is getting that goddam CIF stamp on your paperwork. Whatever they made me pay for, I kept.

There's a lot of lost gear found in the field, too. No way to know whose it was, and if you asked around EVERYBODY would claim it. I brought home extra mags, canteens, ponchos, helmet covers.....none of it stolen, some purchased and some given to me. A PRC-77 mic ended up in one of my duffel bags, not sure how it got there, but wasn't intentional.....it's useless to me, but everything else is legit.

I knew soldiers who came back with gear claimed as "combat losses" from the Panama Invasion and first Gulf War. If it wasn't a "sensitive item" it wasn't questioned. Peacetime "field losses" were a big deal though, and even minor losses could get you an Article-15 (i.e. Kevlar helmet, bayonet) unless you replaced it quick (could buy them at "Clothing and Sales" on base). The max they could take from your pay for lost/damaged equipment was $1500, so if you're going to damage a HMMWV, you might as well destroy it.

That was late 80's/early 90's policy.....not sure how they handle it now. I've read some posts on arfcom that they even take uniforms back now. In my time we kept our initial issue and had to turn in all field gear as it was issued/reissued by individual units.

Basically our supply guys says if it touches your skin we don't want it back....if not, give it up.  So uniforms and such are safe but we are technically supposed to turn in the Gore-Tex along with the other obvious stuff.   Not that most people do, mind you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never been in the military so this is probably going to sound dumb but what do you get to keep?  My step-brother got out of the Marines in the mid-80's and he brought home all sorts of stuff. Nothing really valuable, web gear, canteens, M-16 magazines, stuff like that. Was that stuff stolen or do you get to keep some stuff?[/quotet]

You just end up with extra gear sometimes. I have been in tradoc schools for the last year and have been issued ta50 on 3 posts in that time. I've bought a few items for inspections, and found other items in the field. I've also helped clean up ranges and found a stack of mags when the supply sgt said he already had the number he came out with and the rest needed to disappear.  I also was given a lot of personal issue gear from someone who est'ed that I was able to dx for new stuff in my size. Flat out, if you're in for any amount of time you end.up with extra stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find it interesting that the government can apparently tell you the proper status of every piece of military hardware ever made, but couldn't even begin to identify the top five items most frequently purchased with EBT cards.

You're joking right?  We lose millions of dollars of equipment a year.  Shit, Bradleys go missing.  That's why we have Finacial Liability Investigation for Property Loss(FLIPL).  They are the bane of every Officer's exsistence.  Especially as a Captain.  Weird thing, Captains for the most part are financially liable for almost every piece of equipment(at least in the Army).  After Battery/Troop/Company Command Officers for the most part never sign for equipment again(as a primary hand recepit holder).

Funny you should mention that. When I was still in, the FSC commander in our battalion lost an M88.  

Well, that and a truck.

And now that I think of it, a bunch of smaller shit.

Apparently he didn't do his ten percents...

The word 'idiot' was used rightfully and frequently.

Last I heard the truck was found at the paint shop and the M88 was found at another post.

ETA:  I got pretty good at FLIPL's, but the hardest one was a early 80's experimental GPS from the Tandy corporation that was entered onto the property book incorrectly.  Serial number matched, but the nomenclature was wrong.  Took two months to straighten that out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hypothetically these things float around with some military personal that return home.  

No. Hypothetically these things float around when shit bags fucking steal them. You don't "return home" with body armor and an ACOG in your pocket.

I vote for this.

My experience was not that of the typical deployed troop. The body armor I signed for in Kuwait came back to states with me.  I turned it in at Ft. Bliss only because I am not a thief.  Nobody from Kuwait has ever come after me, and I do not believe that the supply system is so advanced as to communicate back to the original hand reciept holder that it was turned in somewhere else.

Somewhere I have the reciept from Bliss in 2006 that keeps my butt covered, but I don't believe for a moment that I will ever need it..
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ETA: I watched a video on YouTube the other day of someone showing the differences between their Beretta 92FS and Beretta M9. He claimed he bought the M9 at a gun shop, even had the "US" markings. That kinda surprised me, not sure how that ended up on the market.

There was a special run of M9s/ 92F's if the 90s that went onto the retail market with standard "military" rollmarkings and finish. IIRC you got some other military gear along with the pistol itself.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Hypothetically, Trijicon would tell you that it is stolen property and an investigation is ongoing. They should also give you the number to contact in order avoid sentencing. Hypothetically, if anyone buys stolen property and NOBODY knows, is it still hypothetical?

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't understand how they make money out of it.. In the army, I can break shit all day long, it will be exchanged at no expenses, most of the time...

But loser=payer

If you lose something you have to pay it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you should mention that. When I was still in, the FSC commander in our battalion lost an M88.  

Well, that and a truck.

And now that I think of it, a bunch of smaller shit.

Apparently he didn't do his ten percents...

The word 'idiot' was used rightfully and frequently.

Last I heard the truck was found at the paint shop and the M88 was found at another post.

ETA:  I got pretty good at FLIPL's, but the hardest one was a early 80's experimental GPS from the Tandy corporation that was entered onto the property book incorrectly.  Serial number matched, but the nomenclature was wrong.  Took two months to straighten that out.

We once lost an F-5E Tiger II

No joke LoL.. It took us like 12hours to figure out that the pilot had landed at another base due to some technical issue, and came back with another plane (pc-6 as a pax) and never reported the plane as not returned..

Funny times.. Well, not so much.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top