Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a used Huskie and it is the best mower I have ever owned.  It always starts on the first pull, and best of all, it's Made in the USA.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to highjack the thread but what is a good weedwacker.

Thanks OP.

Echo.  Sold at Home Depot.  Bought one last year.  Spend about 2+ hours a weekend on it and I use it more than the push mower on the trim it is that good.

SRM-225

That's the one.  Plan on picking up a second one this spring as a back up.

Yes SRM-225.  Just picked one up last weekend  for $200 at HD per GD's recommendations.  Its awesome!  Way better than that piece of shit Black & Decker GrassHog I had to plug an extention cord in to.  Why did I ever think it was a good idea to buy that in the first place?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got the 21hp 46" model last year.  So far, so good.  I think they are in between a John Deere and a Craftsman.  I think Husky makes Craftsman.

I use the mulch kit quite a bit.

Husq = Electrolux

Craftsman = American Yard Products

Both are crap. For the money you don't have much to choose from. Just know going in that you will replace them every 5 years or so.

Guess who owns AYP (American Yard Products)?

I lose track. The only consumer grade equipment I deal in is Ariens.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You forgot LAWNBOY!
Those 2 strokers last forever!!!

THIS

They actually have a throttle control

Must have feature for me

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got the 21hp 46" model last year.  So far, so good.  I think they are in between a John Deere and a Craftsman.  I think Husky makes Craftsman.

I use the mulch kit quite a bit.

Husq = Electrolux

Craftsman = American Yard Products

Both are crap. For the money you don't have much to choose from. Just know going in that you will replace them every 5 years or so.

Guess who owns AYP (American Yard Products)?

I lose track. The only consumer grade equipment I deal in is Ariens.

Electrolux

Here is how screwed up it really gets. Briggs now owns Murray. I was at a shop and they were trying to look up parts for a Murray mower. The part number for the blade and blade adaptor were AYP numbers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks OP.

Echo.  Sold at Home Depot.  Bought one last year.  Spend about 2+ hours a weekend on it and I use it more than the push mower on the trim it is that good.

SRM-225

That's the one.  Plan on picking up a second one this spring as a back up.

Yes SRM-225.  Just picked one up last weekend  for $200 at HD per GD's recommendations.  Its awesome!  Way better than that piece of shit Black & Decker GrassHog I had to plug an extention cord in to.  Why did I ever think it was a good idea to buy that in the first place?

I recommend staying with the Echo made line.  That stuff though not incredibly durable cuts down anything with ease.  I knock down errant corn stalks in my back fields with it.  Echo hands down for anyone buying a trimmer reading this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Before I bought my mowers, I shopped around a LOT and IM'd a guy on USN (writes for lawn type magazines).  At that time 4 years ago, I couldn't find a nice used commercial mower, so I bought a Deere X300 and a Toro PT21.  They both have been FANTASTIC!  Buy once, cry once. The Deere is smooth and powerful, and the Kawasaki engine on the Toro is a monster.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Husqvarna
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Husqvarna is fucking awesome. I had a used, beat up ass, 10 year old Husqvarna that I would leave outside covered in snow during winter to cut the grass at my house while in college. It was a tank and ran like a fucking beast. I was extremely abusive with it and it took everything in stride. Using it hungover, ran over tons of rocks, tree stumps, broken concrete, just kept going.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Husqvarna's are cheap junk.

Sold mine and bought a 1975 John Deere 400 with power steering 26" ag tires and a 4' wide tiller

It was a 1000 lb beast with front hydraulicsand a 60" shaft driven deck.

I paid $2k

Yes those are turning brakes
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sold mine and bought a 1975 John Deere 400 with power steering 26" ag tires and a 4' wide tiller

I paid $2k

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/pyramidmountain/100_0274_zps603ace05.jpg

NICE

<---- Jealous
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I paid $2k

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/pyramidmountain/100_0274_zps603ace05.jpg

NICE

<---- Jealous

Didn't really need to say it twice
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Cub Cadet GT2042 would be my pick for a newer rig.  Anything less I would look for a used mower with a Kohler Command engine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I can only speak for John Deere. I have a 2007 130 model with 104 hours. Transmission replaced at 60 hours and already acting up again, belt jumps off at least once during 1 hour of operation, front wheels locked up (had to beat them out to free them) steering gears replace every 50 hours, will not hold a charge on any battery...my old 25+ year old murry ran better.  John Deere used to make great products. Now they are designed by people with college degrees that have never step foot on a farm.  They are junk.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can only speak for John Deere. I have a 2007 130 model with 104 hours. Transmission replaced at 60 hours and already acting up again, belt jumps off at least once during 1 hour of operation, front wheels locked up (had to beat them out to free them) steering gears replace every 50 hours, will not hold a charge on any battery...my old 25+ year old murry ran better.  John Deere used to make great products. Now they are designed by people with college degrees that have never step foot on a farm.  They are junk.

John Deere doesn't build <$5k lawn tractors. 400 series an up are great. 300's aren't terrible.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I ended up buying that Husqvarna "fast tractor" with the 48" deck from Lowes.  Runs great, has more speed than I can use, and mows like a champ. That 24hp Kohler has tons of power, didn't even bog it down cutting some really tall and wet grass.  Put 2 hours on it last night....so far so good   Compared to my old Murray, this thing is awesome.  And I was able to get a 10% off coupon from Lowes, so that saved me some cash also!

Is it as good as a $5000+ zero turn?  Probably not.....but I don't really need that. I can use that extra money I didn't spend for ammo

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link to 10% coupon please! I have a lowes order I want to do. Actually for a husqvarna lawn mower too lol!
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Trying to get a guy I know to sell me one of his 70's era Wheel Horse mowers.   Still have not succeeded
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks OP.

Stihl
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Guys,
Do yourself a favor and don't buy power equipment from Home Depot or any other big box store.  Prices are often comparable at your local mower shop and they are the ones who'll provide service after the sale.  

The last piece of lawn equipment I bought, a Husqvarna blower, was purchased at my LMS.  They put it together for me at no charge, filled it with gas, and started it to make sure it ran.  The orange empire doesn't do that.  And in five or ten years, when the carb needs work or a linkage breaks, I can return to the LMS and have it serviced or buy the parts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#21]
The Husky 2146 with the Briggs and Stratton Intek engine is the EXACT same lawn mower as is produced for Craftsman. I've been thinking of getting that Husky, knowing that I can pirate parts from my beat up old Craftsman. That being said my Kubota DZ is the real beast at my property. Expensive but awesome.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well I ended up buying that Husqvarna "fast tractor" with the 48" deck from Lowes.  Runs great, has more speed than I can use, and mows like a champ. That 24hp Kohler has tons of power, didn't even bog it down cutting some really tall and wet grass.  Put 2 hours on it last night....so far so good   Compared to my old Murray, this thing is awesome.  And I was able to get a 10% off coupon from Lowes, so that saved me some cash also!

Is it as good as a $5000+ zero turn?  Probably not.....but I don't really need that. I can use that extra money I didn't spend for ammo

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb241/iqraceworks/mower_zpsb9456a0c.jpg

I just bought a Husqvarna 48" mower and love it, too.  Mine's not the "fast" one, though.  Anyhow, if you need a bagger, this one fits the 48" Husqvarna's, is cheaper than the actual Husqvarna one, and according to the reviews, it works much better.  I found it easy to install and it works great.

Poulan bagger
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Link to 10% coupon please! I have a lowes order I want to do. Actually for a husqvarna lawn mower too lol!

Just get on their website and fill out the info for one of their "Moving Coupons".

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guys,
Do yourself a favor and don't buy power equipment from Home Depot or any other big box store.  Prices are often comparable at your local mower shop and they are the ones who'll provide service after the sale.  

The last piece of lawn equipment I bought, a Husqvarna blower, was purchased at my LMS.  They put it together for me at no charge, filled it with gas, and started it to make sure it ran.  The orange empire doesn't do that.  And in five or ten years, when the carb needs work or a linkage breaks, I can return to the LMS and have it serviced or buy the parts.

I agree....sort of.

I did check at my local Husqvarna dealer before I bought my mower from Lowes.  The problem with the smaller dealers is that they usulaly have the mowers in stock for a longer time, and they sit them all outside until they sell them (at least my dealer did).  So when I went and looked at what they had.....they had the model I wanted, but it was dirty...nasty....and faded from setting outside for who knows how long. And it also had 15 hours on it...they said from driving it inside and out all the side.  They had another "new" one there that had the cylinder head off because it needed a new head gasket.  There is no way I was going to spend my hard earned money on a "new" mower that already looked like crap, and had 15 hours on it.  I got a brand new one, nice and clean, with 0.0 hours on it from Lowes for $200 less.

Service?  Who cares....what the hell can really go wrong with a new mower?  So it needs a belt......so it needs new blades...so it needs an oil change.....I can do all of that myself.  How many "residential" lawn mowers do you ever hear about having major engine problems?  No many....

Long story short, I wasn't impressed with my local Husqvarna dealers inventory.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Odd, I have a 2007 LA120 which is the next model down but almost identical and I have never replaced/fixed anything. BTW did I mention it mows 2 acres weekly. You either really got a lemon or have some shitty luck
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I have used my 48" fast tractor w 24 horse courage engine three times to a mow 2 acre lawn. It's a dream. And I got mil discount on it at lowes. Hellagood
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought a Husqvarna self propelled lawn mower 2 yrs go. WORST PURCHASE I ever made. I will never buy another one.

The design of the thing sucks. The mulching capability SUCKS. Ends up trapping in the clippings bogging down the motor.

The only positive thing I have to say is it starts every time, first pull, but that is the Honda engine, not the Husqvarna piece of shit.

Personally I would stay away if I were you... Oh and their support sucks too. They didn't even want to listen to the issues I was having.

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#28]
FWIW I bought a Husq auto mower with a honda engine, a trimmer and a blower.  The shit works great.  Starts on the first pull.  Much better than cheap crap im used to
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I've got a Husky with a 54" deck; 3 blades, 24 hp Kohler.  I cut about 2 acres a week and it runs fine.  Got about 150 hours on it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top