User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Where's your pop Zaphod?

Ocala, about 1.5 hours NNW of Orlando. 45 minutes south of Gainesville.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That bitch is going to go right over my dad's house! Guess I'll be there with him!

not going to evac?

Where to? He's right smack in the middle of the state. Anywhere we could go in time would bring us closer to water, which is the last thing you want to do.

Nope. Looks like we're going to have to hunker down and bear it.

where to? Don't know ... north? I don't know much about hurricanes. If he's smack in the middle, will that lessen the winds at all? Got a good basement/shelter to stay in to avoid having a house blown down with you exposed? Got supplies for the aftermath?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, my in-laws (finacee's family) all live in the Melbourne area, which I think is where most of the computer models still predict landfall of the center of the hurricane - so NOT a good place to be if the models are correct. Her mom and sister are actually thinking of getting the hell out of dodge and driving up to her house in Nashville tomorrow.

Tell them to get the f out NOW!
Melbourne is likely to be in a world of hurt.

I'm staying for now but I am ready to bug out any second I think I should.

Her mom works for the state, so I'm not sure they've announced yet if the offices are going to be closed, and when - but I think they've already decided they are driving up to my fiancee's tomorrow.  Apparently 95 is already starting to get jammed, and I heard there's talk that the Bee-line will be one-way from the coast to Orlando tomorrow, to allow people to get out.

My fiancee was actually supposed to fly up to St. Louis Friday morning, but she's already cancelled her flight in anticipation of her mom and sister coming up to stay with her - so I think they're pretty much decided to get out.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]
im praying for you guys in FL.

Oh yeah looters will be shot..
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

where to? Don't know ... north? I don't know much about hurricanes. If he's smack in the middle, will that lessen the winds at all? Got a good basement/shelter to stay in to avoid having a house blown down with you exposed? Got supplies for the aftermath?

Being in the middle will help because the winds die down as the hurricane hits land. We'll be staying at his house, which is concrete-block construction, but not to hurricane code (no such thing back in 1987). As for supplies: plenty of food at home (including my MRE's), and water is no problem.

We'll be OK provided the house stays put.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Darn' tootin'!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being in the middle will help because the winds die down as the hurricane hits land. We'll be staying at his house, which is concrete-block construction, but not to hurricane code (no such thing back in 1987). As for supplies: plenty of food at home (including my MRE's), and water is no problem.

We'll be OK provided the house stays put.

Cool, then it sounds like it could be fun!

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
We're on the Gulf Coast (Tampa), so we should be okay, but we're still keeping an eye on that vicious bitch...c'mon, Frances...bring it!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]
for historical purposes (since all these real time links changes) the current  5 day forcast track track shows hurricane frances passing over hole in the wall (off the coast of florida) on 09/03 @1200Z, hitting the florida coast at melbourne,  curving sightly northward as the path takes the center just west of orlando, over gainsville, then live oak, then towards atlanta.

discussions are still talking about  a couple of things that may affect final land  fall and projected path, which we won't know about until latter today 9/03, but all computer models have it at least going over hole in the wall,  heading towards central florida.

here's a link to the naval research facility, monterrey forcasted tracking map of hurricane frances that shows the path a little clearer
(it may not be updated  as quickly as the NOAA forcast maps, though)

(edited cuz i don't know my east and west, and can't spell, duh)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't say that I understand why they are sending people towards Orlando when the bitch is headed towards that area.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:55:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I think about all that can be said with certainty is "there's a hurricane approaching".  When all of the "models" are considered, Frances is just not cooperating.

We're still holding strain here in Cocoa Beach to see what shapes up later this AM with mandatory evacuation later today.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:00:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is there any updates yet?

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:03:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is there any updates yet?

Next update at 8AM EDT.  Check the initial post in this thread for the NWS update map.

ETA, Stupid me, next update is 11AM EDT.  I'm a dumbasss.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:32:35 AM EDT
[#14]
oh well what can ya do,,,im bunkerd in,,, aint gonna fight traffic ,,and sit and wait for it to land on me and while on I-4......     got enuff food water,,as log as i dont flood or the house flys away,,ill do well, i hope,,,, i cant stand this,,we aint finished unpacking fromhaveing to move when charlie took out our apt, and two cars,,,,,, but i say bring it on,,,,, ill still be holdin tight till the end!
good luck  FL members,,,,,, good luck
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#15]
This will probably be my last post for a while. I am in Palm Beach county, about 50 miles to the south of where they are saying the eye will hit. One little wobble and its coming right through my neighborhood. I have been prepping the place for the last couple days, we are in an evac zone about 200 yards from the beach. At least its a rental but Im not expecting much to be left when we come back. I have been called in to work for later tonite (LEO) and not sure when I will be able to leave. Wish us luck...this one is gonna be bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This will probably be my last post for a while. I am in Palm Beach county, about 50 miles to the south of where they are saying the eye will hit. One little wobble and its coming right through my neighborhood. I have been prepping the place for the last couple days, we are in an evac zone about 200 yards from the beach. At least its a rental but Im not expecting much to be left when we come back. I have been called in to work for later tonite (LEO) and not sure when I will be able to leave. Wish us luck...this one is gonna be bad.

Good luck, dude...stay safe...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn, a couple of those models have it coming across florida, hitting the gulf again, and then heading straight for me in Bham. Gotta keep a better eye on this one.......
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#19]
This thing could be 155 MPH + by the time it hits.  That would make it a Cat 5.  Slowing down and you know it is going to gain some strength in all of that hot water off the coast of Florida.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Mrs. Colt_SBR and I are jumping ship.  

I was released from Non-paid standby for the storm because of my workman's comp injury I got the other day.  First time an injury was actually good for me.  

We're heading out for Chicago early in the morning, Friday.  It's a planned vacation that was put on hold because of the hurricane and my injury.  

I hope all of you guys/gals in the path of this storm will be safe.  I still hope it'll take a fast right out to sea.  Doesn't look like it.  

Everyone be safe and hold on.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Darn' tootin'!

My old Army unit was deployed to south Fl after Andrew, they were there to provide telecphone service in areas wehre it was most needed, and when they had extra hands htey sent them out to provide M16A1's to looters. That is right, they sent guys out on patrol with empty rifles, and somehow the looters found out they were not loaded, a guy walked up to one of our patrols (just two men) with a .25 that was loaded and walked away with two Colt M16s.

If you get sent to Brevard county FL for this one, holler.  I have ammo for y'all.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Down to 115 MPH from 145 MPH in about 24 hours.  Looks as though the Bahamas are slowing it down a bit.

Still dangerous.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top