Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My fat ass dog will eat anything.  So I just hold her medicine in front of her and she eats it..
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My vet read me the riot act for using hot dogs to administer meds. He said they are as bad as ham for dogs.
View Quote

Ham is bad for a doge?

Good thing we don't eat much ham in my house.

My labradoodle will sometimes eat a pill in  cheese, PB or cold cuts. Sometimes he eats around the pill.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Tw things that habe never failed is wrapping it in a piece of american cheese or dipping it in peanut butter
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Open mouth.
Push pill past back of tongue.
View Quote

Close mouth.

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Try putting the pill in a half slice of bread and roll it up into a ball. It worked like a charm with our lab when PB and hot dogs didn't work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Open mouth.Push pill past back of tongue.
Close mouth.
View Quote

This, with butter smeared on the pill to help it slide down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Pill Pockets or wrap it in cheese
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Place in the middle of a slice of bread and roll into a tight ball.

ETA: Beat by ~4 minutes
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:11:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, no help here. We just hand ours the plain pill and he scarfs them down like a treat. Our old lab got pretty cagey about them and we finally just had to stuff them down her throat.

But if the pill is chewable, why not just grind it up with his food?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Vet said the salt is very bad for dogs. Ham and hot dogs have loads of salt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My vet read me the riot act for using hot dogs to administer meds. He said they are as bad as ham for dogs.

Why is ham and hotdogs bad for dogs?

Vet said the salt is very bad for dogs. Ham and hot dogs have loads of salt.

Thanks, I'll have to remember that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#11]
First thing first, never get the meds from the vet unless you like it in the ass with 100% + markup. Get a script and buy either online or even someplace like Costco, they have some pet meds now.

For the dog that has figured out all the normal hiding tricks I just put a good coat of peanut butter on the pill but not to feed the pill to them, the PB is so they have to work their tongue to get the sticky crap off. Place the pill at the back of their tongue with PB and they have not choice but to swallow it and it's just a natural reaction to the PB.

I find this to work on even the most stubborn or smart dog.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Stuff the pill in some bread.  Never met a dog that doesn't love something bread related.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Open mouth.Push pill past back of tongue.
Close mouth.
View Quote

This. It works to catch them off guard, too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My smallest dog will root a pill right out  of peanut butter. I basically have to shove it down his mouth which is about like trying to shove get a marble covered in lube into out of a running sink disposall.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Sandwhiched thickly inbetween a slice of cheese for my lab. Then when she got smart to it I just take to phsyically putting it down her throat. Down from 14 pills a day to 1.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't want to crush them, but I'm willing to do so.  I don't put it in his food because he free feeds, has since a puppy and he's 16 now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're crushing it, why not just add it to his regular food?

I don't want to crush them, but I'm willing to do so.  I don't put it in his food because he free feeds, has since a puppy and he's 16 now.

NEVER crush meds.

Put it in a slice of cheese or put it on the back of their mouth, close their muzzle and rub the underside of their mouth - they will swallow it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We've had great luck with these.  

Pill Pockets
View Quote

These work really well.  Lately my ACD has lost her appetite going through chemo tho.  Peanut butter seems to work better than those, although I sometimes still have to force them on her
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

NEVER crush meds.

Put it in a slice of cheese or put it on the back of their mouth, close their muzzle and rub the underside of their mouth - they will swallow it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NEVER crush meds.

It's a chewable tablet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#19]
We use marshmallows. I just push the pills into the marshmallow and she waits patiently for it. It's the only thing we found that she doesn't seperate out the pills. The other two dogs split one marshmallow as a placebo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Mush pill into cat turd and place in litter box
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:22:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Tell Steve that I said he better take it, or else!

Like others have said,

Open dog's mouth, stick it in his throat past his tongue, close his mouth, rub his throat and blow on his nose. He'll swallow.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:25:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tell Steve that I said he better take it, or else!

Like others have said,

Open dog's mouth, stick it in his throat past his tongue, close his mouth, rub his throat and blow on his nose. He'll swallow.
View Quote

Keep in mind, these pills are chewable.  Even cutting them in 1/4, the pieces are HUGE!  He doesn't like the taste or something.  I called the vet, to see if it came in a non-chewable form...no luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's a chewable tablet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NEVER crush meds.

It's a chewable tablet.

Ask the vet if there is a non chewable version of the meds. The pills will be smaller. Then, they are easier to shove down the throat than the chewables.

ETA: never mind, I see you did that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top