Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]

If you look quick you might see me in the background of some of the courtroom scenes...

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have jury duty in a month , I was bitching about it til I found out I get paid from my employer the whole time I'm on the jury.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Funny timing on this thread I just got out of jury duty today, I was the ONLY juror that said yes when asked "do you feel that cops make mistakes" I was juror 6, they chose 12345 and 7

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I did my time on a jury of 6...  1 lady and I were fighting for not guilty against the other 4.  We fought for not guilty, we got not guilty.

A lady in there said "I don't think he should get off just because he's rich and white."

I said "Do you want him to be guilty just because he is rich and white?  Some might call that racist, you know."

She clammed up for the remaining two hours.

I love jury duty.  It's one of the few times I have to participate in making the law and legal system work.  It was hell balancing it with work, but I did it and I am happy.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#5]
LEO's are exempt from jury duty.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I was going to be selected and told them I have Anxiety attacks...Judge ask if it was OK for me not to be on the jury and they said fine with them.

Never got a call again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll be more than happy to serve on your kid's, wife's, best friend's, father's or mother's jury, should they find themselves in court.   You won't be able to.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
If I am ever the defendant at a jury trial I expect the jury to the be all white male gun owners with technical college degrees and firm beliefs in the constitution.

Setting such expectations is sure to bring disappointment.

Quoted:
In the state of TX, the law is that work, no matter your financial situation, is not an excuse from jury duty. They don't give a fuck if missing a day of work will cost you your house, car, job, whatever. Great law huh?

Same here. Even the shitty state of Illinois protects your job, however. Texas must suck serious ass.

Legally, you are protected against employer harassment or from being fired for responding to jury service; however, you must notify your employer in advance that you received the summons. In addition, an employer cannot require a night shift worker to work while such employee is doing jury duty in the daytime

I just looked up the relevant statutes. The job is supposedly protected, however it would be fairly easy for an employer to wrangle out of any legal obligation under the "employer's circumstances have changed" provision....especially as shitty as the economy is right now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I am more than happy to perform my civic duty when asked.

Do no come well dressed the first day.  Do no shave and appear somewhat sloven.  Look around the room absentmindly whenr important things are being said to you by the laywers and court officials.  You are almost a shoo-in to be picked!

Once picked, please dress respectfully.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Jury nulification is our 2nd to last defence against an F'ed up legal system.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nothing like a celebration of shirking civic duty. Huzzah!

So there's nothing more important than jury duty?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
turn in your citizenship.....no jury duty....or man up and do what is right
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
All you need is a doctors note stating you cant deal with the stress of a trial.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#15]
i was on jury duty this summer. During the questioning on of the guys was asked if he was ever on a jury before and he said a few years ago they convicted a guy for.... before he could even get the rest out the judge quieted him and told him he is excused. Another told them he prefers sitting on the beach drinking beer and they let him go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#16]
being able to serve on a jury and having your voice count, is a privilege

way to go!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Non-sequitur
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not in LA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've been called a bunch of times. I've never offered them an excuse or tried to get sent home, not even when I worked 60 hours a week on night shift + going to school four nights a week. I have, however, sat around for hours doing nothing only to have them come out and tell everyone to go home, plea deal, or see them pick the welfare cockroach and the mentally deficient. I've had to go back two days in a row for that shit.

Call me, pick me, fine. I don't have a problem with that.
Call me, never pick me, waste my time, and reduce my income, I have a serious fucking problem with that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't have a problem with jury duty, except when those fuck holes call me down to the Daley Center in downtown Chicago (literally downtown, its by the damn lake), and I live in a far far west suburb of Cook County.

You want to send me to a courthouse that I can actually drive to without having to spend 35 to park, so be it.  But as far as me having to pay out of pocket to take transportation that is required to get there, go fuck yourself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I don't have a problem with jury duty, except when those fuck holes call me down to the Daley Center in downtown Chicago (literally downtown, its by the damn lake), and I live in a far far west suburb of Cook County.

You want to send me to a courthouse that I can actually drive to without having to spend 35 to park, so be it.  But as far as me having to pay out of pocket to take transportation that is required to get there, go fuck yourself.

The same where I live.... daily fee for jury duty is 7 dollars. Doesn't even cover parking expenses. Breakfast, lunch and parking will run you $30 on the low end.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#22]
We get $40 dollars a day and mileage.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, nothing like a leap from "shirking" your civic duty to "it's the most important thing in the world, ever."  

No one said it's the most important thing in everyone's life at all times.  People are dirtbags for making up excuses to get out of it.

Fair enough.  I'm posing the question to get an idea of where this crew draws the line on what constitutes a reasonable exemption.  I'm quite sure the court goes through a similar calculus.

Jury duty is an important civic duty, but the court takes into account personal circumstances when they excuse one from said duty.  I wouldn't ask a wife of a deployed active-duty soldier taking care of 3-4 kids by herself to sit on a jury for what may be an extended trial, and I'd be surprised at a judge that wouldn't recognize a circumstance like that.

Someone getting out of jury duty just so they can sit on their ass, watch the game, and drink beer?  Yeah... that's unsat.  Personally, I've never once made it past the peremptory challenge.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I wont lie to get on one and I wont lie to get off of one.  I doubt that being honest on your convictions really is what the lawyers are looking for.   But if I get picked I get picked.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#25]
All you guys who shirk jury duty are no less despicable than any military deserter.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been called a bunch of times. I've never offered them an excuse or tried to get sent home, not even when I worked 60 hours a week on night shift + going to school four nights a week. I have, however, sat around for hours doing nothing only to have them come out and tell everyone to go home, plea deal, or see them pick the welfare cockroach and the mentally deficient. I've had to go back two days in a row for that shit.

Call me, never pick me, waste my time, and reduce my income, I have a serious fucking problem with that.

That's my main gripe.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my main gripe.

Aye.  Combine that with the lawyers attempting to pick those that are most easily manipulated swayed by their arguments.

I think it would be interesting to have a third-party run jury selection looking solely for explicit conflicts of interest or the inability to serve.  First twelve people to make it past are in.  Screw this mix-and-match attempt to build a jury that both lawyers like.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I really enjoyed sitting on a jury, and I'll surely do it again if given the opportunity.

Honestly, in the trial I sat on, the guy might have gone to jail for several years if I had made up some bullshit excuse.  When we first went back to deliberate, I was the only not guilty vote (So I guess even barring my EBR comments, the defense atty chose right).  Seriously, the jury system scares the shit out of me.  The foreman (randomly picked) went around the table and asked for guilty/not guilty one by one.  The first girl voted guilty, then everyone followed til he got to me and I said not guilty.  After much talking, several of the jurors admitted they voted guilty (even though they didn't really think he was) because that's how everyone else was voting and they just wanted to go home.    Once we started talking about the concepts of self-defense (which the defense attorney did a fucking horrible job of) the rest of the folks came around.  Part of the problem was the guy was black, IMO, and not a model citizen.  But, he was still innocent of the crime he was accused of.

ETA:  BTW, the greatest feeling in the world was when the judge read the verdict and the guy started crying.  Then his wife, who was in the courtroom started crying.  They were both prepared for him to be gone for a long time, and seeing the raw emotion when he found out he was going home was beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got let off for a drug case a few years ago when the defense used a pre-emptory challenge on me. The exchange during vorie dire went roughly like this:

Defense Attorny: Mr Blackhawk101 do you have any personal feelings about drugs that could cause you to not be impartial?

Me: Yes.

DA: Can you tell me what these may be?

Me: Well I believe in the Chinese method of dealing with drug offenses.

DA: What would that be?

Me: If you're caught dealing you should be forced to kneel, have a bullet put in your head, and then send the bill for the bullet to their family.

I was excused shortly thereafter.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#31]
At least around here being in the NRA can get you off certain jury duty cases (depending on what the case is). Supposedly they think you might be sympathetic to criminals who have committed a crime relating to guns.

(Are you a member yet? )
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#32]
this is a sad thread...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#33]
show up with a prostitiute
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I knew of a fellow who got dismissed after he pooped his pants during the interview.  Apparently he forgets to go some times and when has a "whoopsie".  

That was just a special day in the history of the "Justice System".
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fucking gay....

The justice system is only fucked up because good guys shirk out...  

Some guy could be hemmed up on a BS weapons charge.  You (or whoever wrote the letter) are sitting at home, and Sally the Soccer mom who thinks all guns are icky is in your place.

BTW yes I have served on a jury.

Yep... I have seen it too many times. Had a case where a single mother fell in love with the pimp defendant. She was the sole cause of the hung jury.

Had another Army vet that could not get past the concept that officers carried a round in the chamber. He said it was unsafe and his military experience shows the police are doing it wrong. He wanted the officer to give more of a warning when he (& family) was being robbed. The racking of the slide would have provided that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Is it possible to volunteer for Jury Duty?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I got a jury questionnaire once, while I was in Germany.  I tried calling and explaining to the court house in Arizona and I lived in a different country but they weren't listening.  They told me that I had to return the questionnaire.  I put on it that it was a 5,700mi one way trip from my house to the court house.  Never heard from them again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Last time they asked the wrong questions.  They asked if I owned firearms (err, yes), seems like it was a firearms related crime and though a gun owner would be sympathetic to that poc drug selling skum bag.  They asked if I would "consider" the full range of possible sentences (err, yes) - they wanted parlor, I wanted rotting in prison while being someone else's bitch.

I failed to fully articulate my opinion.  But I did do my best to keep that drug selling rapist off the street.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Good going guys.  I spent the morning sitting as a temporary judge in California because the regular one was sick at home.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is it possible to volunteer for Jury Duty?

This.

I got called once 6 years ago on a drive by shooting.

I wanted to be on the jury but they had all they needed before they even got to me to ask me questions.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#41]
while that bit of info is funny,  everytime i've been called i've attended and been willing to serve.  Its a civic duty,  it gives our constitution it's meaning.  I've never made it past sitting in the waiting room for hours on end stage though.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#42]
That looks an awful lot like contempt of court. I think he needs 30 days to cool his heals and no get out of work permission slip to accompany it.

Every gun owner who shirks jury duty makes it easier to fill a jury box with people who believe in their soul that owning a gun should be a crime and makes all of us at a greater risk for a wrongful conviction. Serve on a jury, save a gun owner.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#43]
The dipshits in our county keep summoning my non-citizen, therefore ineligible, wife for jury duty, and of course we have to pay the postage to tell them so.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

not here which sucks I have to use strikes/prempts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Notice isn't sent registered. I've never  participated.
Flame on, as usual in these threads.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#46]
cmon dking... where's your sense of adventure?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#47]
See below
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my main gripe.

Mine as well but its really a small thing when you look at the big picture. I refused to be a typical jackass selfish American and bit the bullet and did my duty. I will take those headaches that go along with it if it means we can still have a system where we are judged by our peers. Very few nations afford this to its citizens.

Problem I saw when I served was all the broke and lazy liberals and ghetto trash got selected because all the others thought it to much of a bother to deal with.

No wonder shitheads walk free all the time. It came real damn close to a POS getting off when I was on jury duty. Seriously if it were not for me and another conservative pleading with them, a scumbag would have walked free on 7 counts of armed robbery and aggrivated assault. The only reasons the others gave in to us is because they didnt want to be there any longer as we were not going to budge. Thats the kind of  folks that make up most juries. Folks who vote not guilty to make it quick and they always have a soft spot for scumbags.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I never shirk my jury duty responsibilities.  To do so just turns the court system over to the bleeding heart
liberals who want to turn some child molestor back on the streets.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#50]
If you ever find yourself on the other side of the fence just hope the jury box isn't filled with folks who are too dumb to figure out how to get out of it .

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top