User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where's the option for "after every time I go shooting?"  My FNP9 breaks down into 4 pieces and only takes about 10 minutes to clean and oil.

Same here, but w/ Glock.

That is not a detail strip. That is called field stripping. Detail stripping means removing every single pin, spring, part, ALL of it from the gun into its component pieces and then usually cleaning them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Really, it depends on the gun.

My 1911s get it more often, because a detail strip is easier for them.

My MkII gets it less frequently, but probably should more often.

My little .380 is even more difficult to detail strip, but a good shot of gun scrubber usually blasts the gunk out nicely, so a complete detail isn't necessary.

My P22 is fairly easy, but there are some tiny parts there. It's easy to get the action out of the grip frame and clean it with gun scrubber.

My 92fs... I haven't done a detail strip on it yet. I don't know if it's going to be hard or not yet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Every time I shoot it I completely disassemble it and wash it with dish soap and warm

water.  Let dry for an hour or so spray every thing down with Rem oil and as I

assemble I wipe excess oil off parts.  So yeah all my handguns look as good if not

better than the day I bought them
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My 92fs... I haven't done a detail strip on it yet. I don't know if it's going to be hard or not yet.

It's not too bad.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Every 12 months.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I fully strip my 1911s after each 1000 rounds, only because it's so easy. For example. I wouldn't know how to completely disassemble a Sig P226. Some guns are easy to take apart. Others are pretty friggin complicated. Once I hit that point where I say to myself "I might fuck this up if I go any further", that's where I stop.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Often.

I get carried away. I'll say to myself, "Well, it's field stripped, I'll just take the safety off to clean underneath. And now I'll take the grip safety off, and now the hammer..."

Next thing I know, the whole pistol is in pieces.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So how often do you completely strip your pistol down for a thorough cleaning?

I just got my P226 apart and it was pretty damned dirty, I will be reparkerizing the slide tommorrow.

I am suprised how dirty it is after roughly 3k rounds, not much wear on it, but the carbon deposits certainly were not helping.

I was having no problems so I guess it is a testament on how well made, and how reliable it is.

Not that I had any doubt.

You have to completely refinish your slide after only 3,000 rounds?

Complete detail stripping of a firearm is usually un-necessary and not something people should consider unless the weapon has been exposed to extraordinary circumstances.

Not had to, but rather I was going to refinish my slide anyways as I did not like the blued finish and it was just starting to pit at the back end.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I never detail stripped my Glocks, Berettas or SIGs when I was using them.  

With SIGs in particular, you are not supposed to re-use the roll pins.  Who wants to dick with having to buy a bunch of new roll pins?  Forget it.

When they got particularly filthy, they'd get sprayed out with brake cleaner or some other pressurized solvent.

I beat the piss out of my competition guns and even they don't get detail stripped anything like every time I clean them, despite being of 1911 ethnicity.

Pins can be pretty cheap, especially when you get them FREE
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Not all that often, they're 1911s,they just need field stripping, yankthe extractor once in a while and clean it. Once a year or so I yank the grips, field strip it and toss it in a can of cleaner. Let it sit overnight,hose it down with brake cleaner,inspect the sear/hammer and lube and put back together.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My High Powers, I detail strip the Slide every 1K rounds.  On those it's necessary or else the Extraction gets sluggish.

Glock, never to be honest.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I never detail stripped my Glocks, Berettas or SIGs when I was using them.  

With SIGs in particular, you are not supposed to re-use the roll pins.  Who wants to dick with having to buy a bunch of new roll pins?  Forget it.

When they got particularly filthy, they'd get sprayed out with brake cleaner or some other pressurized solvent.

I beat the piss out of my competition guns and even they don't get detail stripped anything like every time I clean them, despite being of 1911 ethnicity.

Pins can be pretty cheap, especially when you get them FREE

I don't shoot SIGs anymore, so my cost for pins is exactly the same as yours.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I usually detail strip my daily carry 1911 every couple of months.  Sometimes out of necessity, sometimes out of boredom......
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Whenever I'm bored.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Something tells me people are not familiar with detail stripping their pistols, yet they expect to depend on them.

I have met a few cops that did not know how and have been using the same pistol over 10 years. (failure waiting to happen when it is needed the most)

I am not an OCD type of weapons cleaner, but rather concerned with reliability, and longevity of the weapon.

Why is it that most people never do more than a field strip?

Are they afraid to knock out roll pins etc.?

because it is not needed at all, in any way shape or form, and is a complete waste of time?

that would be my guess

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I do a once a year PM cleaning. Usually in the dead of winter when going to the range is an exercise in keeping warm not keeping on target.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Something tells me people are not familiar with detail stripping their pistols, yet they expect to depend on them.

I have met a few cops that did not know how and have been using the same pistol over 10 years. (failure waiting to happen when it is needed the most)

I am not an OCD type of weapons cleaner, but rather concerned with reliability, and longevity of the weapon.

because it is not needed at all, in any way shape or form, and is a complete waste of time?

that would be my guess

Yep, total strip is overkill, even in the Mil where your life depends on your weapon, a total strip is a rare thing. You can clean and inspect almost everything in a gun doing a basic field strip.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
carry piece (glock) = field strip after every range session and detail strip a couple of times per year........non carry piece = field strip after every range session and detail strip...uhhh...not very often.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
For all you that insist on completely stripping your pistols to make sure that you can depend on them, do you also completely tear down your car engine on a regular basis?  You know, just to be sure you can depend on it?  I know that for my driving, a failure of the vehical could be a life endangering situation.  I would venture to say that for most there is more chance of a pistol failure due to a mistake in reassembly than from a couple hundred rounds of dirt.  actually, I would insist on a few hundred rounds of reliability testing following a major teardown before I would consider it reliable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You really think that your pistol was intended to be detail stripped by the owner?

I guarantee you that if you wrote a letter to ever single gun manufacturer on earth and asked them when to start detail stripping any gun, virtually every single manufacturere would write back saying that you SHOULD NOT EVER detail strip the gun.

Now I know why every old smith revolver has buggered up screws and pry marks on the side plate.

Well, gotta go, it's time for my 2,000 mile full dissassembly of my car's engine.  Those darn coolant channels in the block get plenty o' residue in them.  Can you believe some people own a car for 100,000 miles and never completely strip down the transmission to the smallest part?  
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that would be my guess

Yep, total strip is overkill, even in the Mil where your life depends on your weapon, a total strip is a rare thing. You can clean and inspect almost everything in a gun doing a basic field strip.

Exactly.

They design the gun to be field stripped down to the level required to make it work good with a normal cleaning.

If that won't do it, then it's a poorly designed gun.

Try some of that remington crud cutter stuff, it blasts this kerosine stuff really hard and will clean the living crap out of the guts of a gun.  Then it completely evaporates.

PS -

Lightly lube the gun.  Then it won't get so dirty.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Every time I shoot it I completely disassemble it and wash it with dish soap and warm

water.  Let dry for an hour or so spray every thing down with Rem oil and as I

assemble I wipe excess oil off parts.  So yeah all my handguns look as good if not

better than the day I bought them

Not to grind the point,  but...

I got guns I bought before most of you guys were born that have never had anything other than a normal cleaning with hoppes, etc.

They look perfect.

heck, I got guns made in 1944 that look and work perfectly.

You guys are massively overcleaning your guns.

Seriously, look it up if you don't believe me.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Where's the option for "after every time I go shooting?"  

+1, who waits for 1,000 rounds?

Cleaning isn't a chore if you enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really think that your pistol was intended to be detail stripped by the owner?

I guarantee you that if you wrote a letter to ever single gun manufacturer on earth and asked them when to start detail stripping any gun, virtually every single manufacturere would write back saying that you SHOULD NOT EVER detail strip the gun.

Now I know why every old smith revolver has buggered up screws and pry marks on the side plate.

Well, gotta go, it's time for my 2,000 mile full dissassembly of my car's engine.  Those darn coolant channels in the block get plenty o' residue in them.  Can you believe some people own a car for 100,000 miles and never completely strip down the transmission to the smallest part?  

Whatever.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that would be my guess

Gee please tell me more about the military.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I would have to ask you permission to do any gunsmithing at all huh?

The next time I get paid to do smithing on someones firearm I will give you a call and ask pretty please if I can fuck something up.

Forward your phone number so I can make sure I have permission.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Field strip & clean? After every trip to the range. Total strip? Never.

Never had a problem with any of my guns either.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I never said anyone would have a problem if they only field stripped.

(not directed at you)

But there is nothing wrong with doing so if you are competent.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I never said anyone would have a problem if they only field stripped.

(not directed at you)

But there is nothing wrong with doing so if you are competent.

If guns were less expensive, I'd probably do it just for the hell of it. I love reverse engineering mechanical and electronic devices to see how they work. Going by past experience, though, there is a high probability that even with instructions I will fuck up 1 or 2 of what I'm working on before getting it down pat.

Don't have the money to FUBAR any of my guns in the name of science. 86ing a PS3's Sixaxis upon reassembly after taking it apart to inspect how it worked (my last reverse engineering project) was expensive enough.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Being a Glock owner its not a high-priority
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that would be my guess

Gee please tell me more about the military.

Huh? Have no idea what you mean by that other then you were in. The typical Mil guy couldn't totally strip down his weapon system if his life depended on it. Field strip yes, total nuts and bolts takedown, absolutely not. Just because YOU can, doesn't mean that the other 99.99% can. Or, if they can, can they put it together correctly?

There is a reason that for the past 50 years the Mil has not encouraged soldiers to totally dismantle their weapons down to the last little piece. I'd also bet it was for a GOOD reason. The average GI doesn't even have the tools or skill [never been trained]to break down many of their weapons totally.

The 1911/A1 was one of the few that didn't require much more then a cartridge rim, a nail or a magazine baseplate to disasemble completely. As far as knocking out rollpins and such in some of the new handguns, knocking them out to often can cause enough wear as to create problems in retention and the chance of loss in the field because of the striking force required to drive then out is asking for trouble in field conditions.

I've seen FAR more buggered up weapons from the overapplication of cleaning and taking stuff apart then actual shooting wear, and I'd bet that the typical gunsmith would agree with me.

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I would have to ask you permission to do any gunsmithing at all huh?

The next time I get paid to do smithing on someones firearm I will give you a call and ask pretty please if I can fuck something up.

Forward your phone number so I can make sure I have permission.

Quoted:

You posted that you detail strip for cleaning to enhance reliability and longevity.

I posted that detail stripping a gun for cleaning is a complete waste of time and of zero use.  About as much use as detail stripping your car.

You can try the time-honored arfcom "straw man" argument and pretend I posted something about gunsmithing or pretend you were referring to some kind of gunsmithing. You can try the insults and the kindergarden flame war crapola.

However, your idea about detail stripping a gun for cleaning is still 100% dead wrong.  It's horrible advice and should never be done.

Sorry that hurts your feelings but life is hard.

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I run a patch with CLP through the bore, then a dry boresnake after every trip to the range. Every thousand I take it apart to clean thoroughly, and grease the slide

ETA just finished reading thread Detail strip? Never... not necessary unless something breaks AFAIK
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I wonder whether the number of guns mechanically ruined due to lack of maintenance equals the number ruined due to improper or excess maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I field strip and clean with each outing, but don't feel a detail strip is really necessary, unless for a specific reason (replacing a part, ect).
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Huh? Have no idea what you mean by that other then you were in. The typical Mil guy couldn't totally strip down his weapon system if his life depended on it. Field strip yes, total nuts and bolts takedown, absolutely not. Just because YOU can, doesn't mean that the other 99.99% can. Or, if they can, can they put it together correctly?

There is a reason that for the past 50 years the Mil has not encouraged soldiers to totally dismantle their weapons down to the last little piece. I'd also bet it was for a GOOD reason. The average GI doesn't even have the tools or skill [never been trained]to break down many of their weapons totally.

The 1911/A1 was one of the few that didn't require much more then a cartridge rim, a nail or a magazine baseplate to disasemble completely. As far as knocking out rollpins and such in some of the new handguns, knocking them out to often can cause enough wear as to create problems in retention and the chance of loss in the field because of the striking force required to drive then out is asking for trouble in field conditions.

I've seen FAR more buggered up weapons from the overapplication of cleaning and taking stuff apart then actual shooting wear, and I'd bet that the typical gunsmith would agree with me.

Well on this statement we are in agreement.

Not everyone in the the military or civillian world posesses the skill set and tools required, let alone knowing when, and when not to do so.

While I was in the .mil I knew more than our armorers did by a longshot.(learned from my dad)
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I strip the pistol before I go shooting to ensure proper function.

Again after shooting for thorough cleaning

and also for the monthly maintence, making sure it's in reliable, working order.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top