Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

*"Big guy?" If you were as genuinely clever as you are unintentionally hilarious, you'd be somebody.

A witty saying proves nothing, FLAL1A  and Ad Hominem attacks don't bring anything to the table.  I'll give you a few min. to grab a dictionary and look that phrase up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
How much are you willing to lose in a mugging?

Two  $.22  bullets
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It's almost pointless to post this question on this forum .
You know ahead of time that everyone is chomping at the
bit to " Draw Down "

You need to trot over to the DU and post this query .
Now that might be interesting .....

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you guys serious?  Even granted that reaction time is slower than action time, your ass is still grass.  I don't care if you're Chuck Norris, Han Solo, Richard Marcinko, and Massad Ayoob all rolled into one.  There is no way you can out draw from ccw someone who already has their gun pointed at you.  

then lay down like a good little sheep and STFU

Put your money where your mouth is, big guy.  Find a LEO friend or someone with access to Simunition or go and buy some cheap ass Eagle paintball guns from Wally World.  Videotape you outdrawing your friend and shooting him before he gets a shot off and then I'll believe that you could survive this situation.  Until then its all conjecture, and bad conjecture at that.

ETA: The Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, Civil Aeromedical institute Physiological Operations, has concluded that the sum of brain perception, brain lag, and reaction time is at a bare minimum, 0.6 to 1.0 seconds.  How long does it take you to empty a clip at the range?

Why would you load off a clip in that situation,  You shootin an SKS there buddy?  There are lots of factors you aren't thinking of.  Shooting and moving, shock value at them seeing your gun etc etc etc.  So many robberies end up as homicides anyway, it's your only chance of taking control, and control is what will keep you from becoming a statistic.

I'll agree with that.  If my chances are slim and none, I'll take slim.

BTW, if you hold a gun to the back of my head, and the sole motivation for you to pull the trigger is my movement, I'll have that gun away from you before you can get off a shot - yes, I've tested it.  If you are just going to pull the trigger anyway, at least I didn't go down whimpering and begging.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
geez look at the anonymous Arfcom tough guys.

Yes, I'm the lone "$, Jewelry" guy up there. At least I'm honest not a condescending self-aggrandizing asshat, but do I play one on the web. My favorite performance piece is pretending I can read minds and have a grasp of reality superior to that of the people whose minds and character I claim to probe via the internet.

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*"Big guy?" If you were as genuinely clever as you are unintentionally hilarious, you'd be somebody.

A witty saying proves nothing, FLAL1A  and Ad Hominem attacks don't bring anything to the table.  I'll give you a few min. to grab a dictionary and look that phrase up.

I guess that means you can't explain what correlation is to be expected between a situation involving a person who has already decided to shoot a known nonlethal projectile at a familiar target upon a prearranged and fully anticipated signal under distraction-free conditions, and a situation involving a stranger with a better than 50% chance of chemical impairment engaged in an activity premised on the assumptions that the victim is unarmed, presents no threat, and will comply with instructions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I lost $25.00 once.  It happened right outside of the DQ in Oceanside, CA.
Dude had a glock and 4 friends.

If he was armed & I wasn't,...he would have everyting I could give him. If he had a bunch of support, like 4 friends, there really wouldn't be any choice, unless they got physical, & I knew they were out for my life, run & dodge like hell!

If my son or other family member was with me, I would die trying to defend them if need be.

This is the reason I don't ever want to live in a state that doesn't allow me to CC legally.

I have often debated with myself CC outside of the law if I visited back to WI, or if forced to live somewhere less free than TEXAS.

That's cool.  This was in 1992 and I didn't want to model for the latest chalk outline on the sidewalks of Oceanside.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If I'm not armed, and he is, I'm f**ked, I could try and overpower him given the right oppertunity but still real risky.

If I am armed, then its balls to the wall terminator time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you guys serious?  Even granted that reaction time is slower than action time, your ass is still grass.  I don't care if you're Chuck Norris, Han Solo, Richard Marcinko, and Massad Ayoob all rolled into one.  There is no way you can out draw from ccw someone who already has their gun pointed at you.  

then lay down like a good little sheep and STFU

Put your money where your mouth is, big guy.  Find a LEO friend or someone with access to Simunition or go and buy some cheap ass Eagle paintball guns from Wally World.  Videotape you outdrawing your friend and shooting him before he gets a shot off and then I'll believe that you could survive this situation.  Until then its all conjecture, and bad conjecture at that.

ETA: The Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, Civil Aeromedical institute Physiological Operations, has concluded that the sum of brain perception, brain lag, and reaction time is at a bare minimum, 0.6 to 1.0 seconds.  How long does it take you to empty a clip at the range?

Why would you load off a clip in that situation,  You shootin an SKS there buddy?  There are lots of factors you aren't thinking of.  Shooting and moving, shock value at them seeing your gun etc etc etc.  So many robberies end up as homicides anyway, it's your only chance of taking control, and control is what will keep you from becoming a statistic.

I'll agree with that.  If my chances are slim and none, I'll take slim.

BTW, if you hold a gun to the back of my head, and the sole motivation for you to pull the trigger is my movement, I'll have that gun away from you before you can get off a shot - yes, I've tested it.  If you are just going to pull the trigger anyway, at least I didn't go down whimpering and begging.

I have read a court case in which a police officer was on trial for murder for shooting his partner cause the DA said there was no way his partner had a gun pointed at him and that he could draw and shoot a before the dead partner could shoot him...in court he demenstrated his ability and proved he could do it.....after reading that post we started trying to do this with sim rounds..I can from a ccw holster do this especially if I tell him im going to get my wallet out telligraphing a movement closer to my gun.... hell at 7 yards I can draw and fire center mass my glock 21 in under half a second....

quick draw does work if you practice..and if there is any distance at all and im moveing I doubt an untrained shooter would hit me...he might but ill take my chances to plug him first...

do on to others before they do on to you only faster.....

glock 21 with 17rd mags and one in da PIPE!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If I'm not armed, and he is, I'm f**ked, I could try and overpower him given the right oppertunity but still real risky.

If I am armed, then its balls to the wall terminator time.

hell I at least always have a knife on me even though I normally CCW...but if all I have is my spydeco civilian ill try mis-direction to get close enough to sweep the gun arm and gut-n-cut
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
A mugger or robber may one day kill me with my own ccw, But he will have to beat me to death with it , because I will be out of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I would be willing to lose a little bit more than my patience.  

Walk softly and carry a small arsenal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry for several reasons. One of which is NOT to be taken advantage of in any given situation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I would prefer some form of distraction tactic instead of looking the guy in the eyes and try to beat his reaction time.  Here's some ideas...

Tell them they can have your wallet as long as they leave you alone.  Toss wallet with weak hand a few feet to the far side of them.  As his head and eyes follow the motion of the flying wallet, draw weapon with strong hand and don't stop till the slide locks back.

Or perhaps this method of distraction?  Would require the best poker face ever.  They approach and demand money/watch/wallet/etc.  You tilt head to side, looking at some object behind them, and give out a hearty laugh.  Then say, "Are you really going to rob me with that COP sitting right over there???"

Would be willing to bet the moron will turn around to see what your looking at.

EPOCH  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I dare you!

It cant be that hard to get an account in that forum.

Then post the link to the thread and we can all be amused!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I would be willing to lose my normally cheery disposition.

GM
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]
There is no saying how I would react. I suspect that it is like veterans and war. You never know untill you are there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Everything but my life or the people with me. (i.e. cop a feel etc..)

Material Shit can be replaced.

I can't.

+1

I would be seriously pissed but I would get over it.....eventually.......after a long long time......probably

I am a very big, ugly, mean looking guy, so anyone willing to mug me must know something I don't
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#19]
ill give him .45 - maybe times two
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I'm the lone "$, Jewelry" guy up there. At least I'm honest not a condescending self-aggrandizing asshat, but do I play one on the web. My favorite performance piece is pretending I can read minds and have a grasp of reality superior to that of the people whose minds and character I claim to probe via the internet.

Fixed it for you.

So what's the deal with the pretend clairvoyance/inside knowledge of other people, as in your post and in the occasional (not yours, AFAIK) "Yeah, if the government orders gun confiscations, you people will sit on your asses watching 24 on TV until the cops come to the door, and then hand your guns over without even asking for a receipt?"

I'm curious. I can't see myself posting "Yeah, right. Talk big. You'll do X when the time comes." It seems rude and just plain stupid to claim to know what other people will do in a given situation. What makes you think you know - better than the people themselves know - what other people would do under any given set of circumstances? Why did you make such an arrogant, condescending comment?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Stuff...ain't worth dying over.
If you let them get the drop on you then you are already screwed. Cut your losses.
Now, at some point they will have to move away.
Or maybe I would hunt them later.
And if they get close enough to touch us, then they have made a potentially fatal error.

Bottom line is play it smart, play it cool.
Always live to fight another day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Arfcom answer:

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG

*Reload*

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG

Then Lawyer Up.

It sucks you defend yourself then the scums family sues you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Arfcom answer:

*Reload*

Then Lawyer Up.

It sucks you defend yourself then the scums family sues you.

Didn't you save any jewelry for the family and the lawyer in that case?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

ERROR: Your posting privileges have been revoked. If you do not know why this has happened, please take a moment to read our Message Board Rules.

If, after reading our rules, you still cannot figure out why your posting privileges were revoked, then it may have been an error. If so, you may appeal by sending an email to [email protected]. Please include your forum username.

We do occasionally reinstate posting privileges for members who have been banned, after a cooling-off period has passed. If you would like to have your privileges reinstated you may state your case by sending an email to [email protected]. Please include your forum username.

We read all correspondence sent to us. If you do not get a response to your appeal, it is because your request was denied.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
How much are you willing to part with?

not even a penny.... I'm a cheap bastard....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's almost pointless to post this question on this forum .
You know ahead of time that everyone is chomping at the
bit to " Draw Down "

ROLF

+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#27]
i would reach for my wallet, but out would come my glock.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Or perhaps this method of distraction?  Would require the best poker face ever.  They approach and demand money/watch/wallet/etc.  You tilt head to side, looking at some object behind them, and give out a hearty laugh.  Then say, "Are you really going to rob me with that COP sitting right over there???"

Would be willing to bet the moron will turn around to see what your looking at.

EPOCH  

Clever
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Make sure he is dead, but maybe don't shoot him in the back of the head when is is lying on the ground bleeding.  You might get in trouble for that, but some how or another finish the job.  Then, make sure you roll him for your trouble.  Get cash, jewels, and his personal info/address etc so his family can't mess w/ you w/ anonymity.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#30]
He better be quick and determined 'cause I got ARF skilz.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I am willing to lose ALL of the ammo I am carrying and a large portion of the ammo I return with.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

So what's the deal with the pretend clairvoyance/inside knowledge of other people, as in your post and in the occasional (not yours, AFAIK) "Yeah, if the government orders gun confiscations, you people will sit on your asses watching 24 on TV until the cops come to the door, and then hand your guns over without even asking for a receipt?"

I'm curious. I can't see myself posting "Yeah, right. Talk big. You'll do X when the time comes." It seems rude and just plain stupid to claim to know what other people will do in a given situation. What makes you think you know - better than the people themselves know - what other people would do under any given set of circumstances? Why did you make such an arrogant, condescending comment?

Because if everybody that posted "I'd stomp his nuts" or "everybody gets bullets" actually was as Billy Badass as he professed on the Internet to be, we'd have no crime at all where we were.

Frankly my posts about this were fairly defensive- I (and a couple others) were called cowards for stating what we would do if I were witness to a robbery (if it didn't directly involve me, I would be a good witness for many reasons, some of which I put in the other thread...). The Internet is famous for increasing one's sense of bravado. I just called a few others on it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess that means you can't explain what correlation is to be expected between a situation involving a person who has already decided to shoot a known nonlethal projectile at a familiar target upon a prearranged and fully anticipated signal under distraction-free conditions, and a situation involving a stranger with a better than 50% chance of chemical impairment engaged in an activity premised on the assumptions that the victim is unarmed, presents no threat, and will comply with instructions.

You make as many assumptions, if not more, than I do, concerning the criminal frame of mind.  And if someone can't outdraw their friend with a simunition gun under "distraction-free conditions" than why do you believe they can do it in a situation under stress?  I'm sure some people can do it, like previous poster who actually tried this, but if everyone here were that quick we'd have an amazing IPSC team, but so far I haven't seen any time trial awards.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Arfcom answer:

*Reload*

1911?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Give me back my case...

(It's my first animated gif, so tell me if ya'll see it.  Host may not comply anyway.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]
As many rounds as it takes to stop the mugger.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I voted for $ because my carry ammo is expensive.  

Someone is saying your money or your life.  This is the first time that I have met them.  And I am going to trust them to uphold their end of the deal with this kind of first impression?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ERROR: Your posting privileges have been revoked. If you do not know why this has happened, please take a moment to read our Message Board Rules.

If, after reading our rules, you still cannot figure out why your posting privileges were revoked, then it may have been an error. If so, you may appeal by sending an email to [email protected]. Please include your forum username.

We do occasionally reinstate posting privileges for members who have been banned, after a cooling-off period has passed. If you would like to have your privileges reinstated you may state your case by sending an email to [email protected]. Please include your forum username.

We read all correspondence sent to us. If you do not get a response to your appeal, it is because your request was denied.

I wonder if it's a *five day* waiting period?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As I looked past the perp and reached for my 'wallet', I point past him with my free hand and exclaim "That bitch gots no clothes on! DAMNN!" then, stepping sidways and putting several rounds into his face, I'd have to say "Nope...my bad" "It's you what's got no face!"

OMG!!! DAMn, that is the funniest shit I've read in two days!

Thanks, I needed that!

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
So many robberies end up as homicides anyway,.

- No they don't. The number of homicides that stem from robbery attempts is rather low.  In the places where you see homicides, its often when the victim decided to fight back when running far behind the power curve.

Some of you guys need to ratchet the testosterone levels down a few degrees and realize that fighting back isnt always the best course of action.  But hey, if you want to get your dumbass killed over your pseudo-GShok and latest issue of Shotgun News go ahead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:56:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If you let them get the drop on you then you are already screwed. Cut your losses.
And if they get close enough to touch us, then they have made a potentially fatal error.

+1  

I read years ago that FBI stats show that if the perp has the drop on the cop and the cop tries to grab the gun away from the perp or go for his own own gun, the cop will get shot 50% of the time.  I'll pass on those odds, thank you.

If the mugger has the drop on me, I'll calmly and immediately let him know that he can have any possessions that my fiancés or I is carrying. Only if I felt the mugger was going to murder us would I attempt to overtake him or go for my own gun. Certainly if I saw an opportunity to go for my own gun that would allow me certain success, I would go for it.

With the exception of my fiancés engagement ring, I can replace anything that would be stolen with a few days of work pay. Actually, insurance would cover all of it. No material possession that I own is worth a 50% chance of dying to protect it if insurance would cover it's loss.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You make as many assumptions, if not more, than I do, concerning the criminal frame of mind.  And if someone can't outdraw their friend with a simunition gun under "distraction-free conditions" than why do you believe they can do it in a situation under stress?  I'm sure some people can do it, like previous poster who actually tried this, but if everyone here were that quick we'd have an amazing IPSC team, but so far I haven't seen any time trial awards.  

Assumptions aren't necessary to establish that the exercise you propose won't answer the fundamental question in the real life scenario. In the experiment, the "robber" knows:

1. that the "victim" is armed;

2. that the "victim" will draw his weapon and try to shoot the "robber;" and

3. that the correct response to any sudden or furtive move by the "victim" will be to shoot the "victim."

In a real life robbery, a robber knows none of those things and is therefore confronted with a series of retarding possibilities and decisions the experimental "robber" doesn't face. Shooting in a real robbery will decrease the robber's likelihood of success: it increases the chances of discovery; it increases the penalties faced by the robber; and it decreasesd his chances of actually getting anything (because the attention attracted by shooting may compel him to flee empty-handed). Most significantly, unless a murder was planned all along, the robber must before shooting go through the same detection - recognition - decision - action process required in any other reactive situation, because before shooting he must first conclude that the victim's movement is for a weapon rather than a wallet. This is radically different from an experimental situation in which both parties know that both are armed, both intend to shoot, and the party being timed is only waiting for a prearranged signal before firing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:10:56 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Hell, I have lived a long life and besides, we are all going to die, I'll do it standing up for what I believe. I cannot imagine myself cowering for mercy, it would make a mockery of my life.

+1

I'm definitely gonna die one day.

"Doing right" doesn't need to die with me.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#47]
they're not gettign anythign from me, even if they kill me they won't get anything, I don't carry valuables.

I do carry a number of blades though, an will stick one in a thief in a heartbeat if I get the chance, so they had better hope the POS pistol they bought at the bar actually works, and even then I am more than willing to take my chances
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Willing to lose?  Are you kidding me?   I've been waiting my whole life for the chance to go vigilante on someone!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

I read years ago that FBI stats show that if the perp has the drop on the cop and the cop tries to grab the gun away from the perp or go for his own own gun, the cop will get shot 50% of the time.  I'll pass on those odds, thank you.

If the mugger has the drop on me, I'll calmly and immediately let him know that he can have any possessions that my fiancés or I is carrying. Only if I felt the mugger was going to murder us would I attempt to overtake him or go for my own gun. Certainly if I saw an opportunity to go for my own gun that would allow me certain success, I would go for it.

With the exception of my fiancés engagement ring, I can replace anything that would be stolen with a few days of work pay. Actually, insurance would cover all of it. No material possession that I own is worth a 50% chance of dying to protect it if insurance would cover it's loss.

You guys do know that - to a good majority of Arfcommers - factual statements like the above (and mentioning what police trainers have related to me personally as well as online) just prove how cowardly we are...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top