BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Up to 40 hours of OT after 40 hours of straight time for the week. 2 more days to go so I'll probably hit 50+ hours. I'm plumb tuckered out. Gettin to old for this.

If you don't have a "family life" (single) then 40 hours is ENOUGH. As long as it's not CONSTANT. If you DO have a family.... welll.... I'd be squemish at 20hours....  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Ended up with 58 hours OT, with 14.5 at Double time. 98 hours total. Damn glad its over. Only slept thru the night one time without a call out. You don't want to know the total amount of slept hours if you were out on the road at the same time as me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
We had a guy set a record  4000 hours of OT in a year    

I'll venture to say that I do between 600 -1000 a year and I'm definitely burnt out
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
An old-timer at work said this to me years ago: "You never hear of a man punching out on his last day at work before retirement saying to himself: You know, I wish i'd have spent more time at work...."!

Ya, but you hear a whole bunch of them that punch IN everyday and complain they don't have any money, how they are getting shit on etc. when they could have taken the opportunity to work OT.  If somebody is punching a clock and doesn't make "good" money then they have three choices:  

1.  Either make themselves more valuable to their employer for their 40 hrs/week
2.  Work overtime
3.  Accept that the benefit of not working OT outweighs the costs and STFU and be happy

Oh I guess there's 4.

4.  Find a different job

If somebody thinks they are going to stuff the same round pegs in the same round holes for years for 8 hours a day and make a decent retirement, why should anybody do any better.  Hmmm... sounds like a union to me.  I guess that would be number 5, or maybe 4(a).
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ya, but you hear a whole bunch of them that punch IN everyday and complain they don't have any money, how they are getting shit on etc. when they could have taken the opportunity to work OT.  If somebody is punching a clock and doesn't make "good" money then they have three choices:  

1.  Either make themselves more valuable to their employer for their 40 hrs/week
2.  Work overtime
3.  Accept that the benefit of not working OT outweighs the costs and STFU and be happy

Oh I guess there's 4.

4.  Find a different job

If somebody thinks they are going to stuff the same round pegs in the same round holes for years for 8 hours a day and make a decent retirement, why should anybody do any better.  Hmmm... sounds like a union to me.  I guess that would be number 5, or maybe 4(a).

Out of curiosity:
Does your screen name indicate that you are a college student?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top