Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
AR10er- I believe you are an honest guy, and not a ball buster, so I will play...

A good example of a return of freedoms:
1) The explosion of states issuing concealed carry permit to lawful citizens.  There is something we didn't have 30 years ago.  And, the number is growing larger every year, with state reciprocity agreements also being worked out nicely.

2) Greater protection from cruel and unusual punishment, as well as false imprisonment, and abuse of police powers against citizens.  As much as I love to hate them, civil libertarians have gained much ground through the courts- do a lexis seach for "civil rights," to see some example cases.    

I do agree that our freedoms are being legislated out from under us, but look at Justice Antonin Scalia (appointed to the Supreme CT by President Ronald Reagan).  Now, there is as close to a libertarian that we will EVER see sitting on the high Court.  You can thank President Reagan for giving us Scalia- a conservative, Republican-Libertarian gift to jurisprudence.  

The reason that the Republican party must cater to more moderate voters is simple: THERE ARE MORE OF THEM!  

You must accept the fact that as long as Republicans must cater to a broad spectrum of the electorate, they will be somewhat flexible on things like gun control.  When this ceases to be the case, then more politicians (who are invariably self-serving) will cater to us in the 2nd Amendment lobby.

Simple economics to them, really.  Ditto what Torf said about liberals ruining this country, with lots of well meaning conservatives helping them do it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I vote in every election I am eligible for, because a lot of better men than I died to defend that right. I vote to honor their sacrafice.

Republicans have stabbed us in the back so many times is makes me sad. The worst example I can remember was Bob Dole. Back in '94 either the Crime Bill or Brady Bill (I don't remember which) was dead in the Senate until Bob Dole resurected it for a vote. This has happened before.

I try to find candidates who support RKBA. Which ever one is strongest - not just in rhetoric but in voting record - I vote for. Some times I have to pick a gutless, back stabbing Republican but if the choices are that bad I would rather vote principles and pick the LIberterian.

It is a down hill spiral. I hope we are slowing it down, but I remain to be convinced.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Voting Republican is kind of like lightly pulling back on the yoke of a fast descending plane.  Voting Libertarian is akin to deploying the landing gear---a nice thought, but utterly useless.  

What we need to stop this plane from crashing is enough light pulls back on the yoke to level us out again- not folks deploying the landing gear.  

Make fun of the analogy if you like, what the hell do you expect from the internet???
 [stick]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top