Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to sell them and I've owned about a dozen, gave up on them years ago.

For some reason my skinny Zippos seemed to last longer than the fat ones.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Store a spare flint under the felt pad, not in the little hole in the pad. This is the basic back-up, the flint is a wear item ...

However, why not this ?

Quoted:

Cause you can fit a half dozen or more under the pad , instead of leaving them in that little plastic thingy to get lost.

But no one needs to carry six spare flints ...  

And CH specified *a* spare flint - - just not one in the hole in the pad.

So, why not "one in the little hole" ...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I use Ronsonol in my Zippos and have noticed the same evaporation problem (I assume this is why it's so easy to light).

Will lamp oil or anything else a little less volatile work in Zippos, or will this just make the lighter unlightable?

I also use Ronsonol............but I use Zippo flints.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Guys, Zippo lighters are sturdy, dependable and durable American machines.
They do however require upkeep and occasional maintenance. Just like your guns.

First, Zippo lighters are made in America. Cherish this.
They are also guaranteed for life (except for the finish) and Zippo will fix or replace any Zippo lighter for free, forever.

Second, they use a liquid fuel that is commonly available.
Just about any flammable liquid will work. Diesel, kerosene, vodka, gasoline, etc.
These are not the recommended fuels but most will work. Soldiers have been fueling their Zippos with diesel for decades.

Third, The fuel does not last indefinitely. It will eventually evaporate. Just like your car, boat, or lawnmower.
Under daily use, a fill-up will last you 1-2 weeks. YMMV.
If you are packing one for SHTF, store it dry and keep the fuel in it's original air-tight container or better, get a fuel bottle.
This is a function of the volatility of the fuel, not the design of the lighter.
After the apocalypse, you can use the rendered fat of your enemies. Yup, that will work in a Zippo.

Fourth, The fuel, wick, and flint are all consumable.
All three of these items are commonly available at any drug store, smoke shop, Walmart, etc. in America.
A wick will last you years. A flint, months.
Store a spare flint under the felt pad, not in the little hole in the pad. This is the basic back-up, the flint is a wear item.
You can also wad up a spare wick and add it to the cotton packing, it will be there if you need it.

Finally, keep it clean. A Zippo is a machine. It is made entirely of metal and has moving parts and springs.
Occasionally clean the wick and adjust it for length if the flame gets too low or the wick won't take fire.
Use a Q-tip and some fuel to clean the carbon off the wick and around it's base inside the chimney.

Lightly lube the hinge, spark wheel and the contact point on the lid where the dog bone shaped cam rubs against it.
You can even very lightly lube the outside of the insert at risk (completely theoretical) of contaminating the fuel.
You clean your AR, right? You have a freakin' bucket full of fancy high-temp space age Teflon/Moly bullshit, right?
You know how to remove carbon, right? Well, clean your Zippo with the same shit when it gets mucked up from daily use.

Your Zippo will last a lifetime if you treat it right.
And if it gets run over by a Mack truck Zippo will fix it for free.
Did I say free? Yes sir, free, that has always been their corporate policy.
Buy American while you still can.

There will be no bad mouthing of Zippo while I'm around.
Got that Nancy?

TRUTH, is what you speak sir
the one i just used to light a smoke was given to me 15 years ago .... and it works like a champ..funny, i thought i was the only idiot storing flints and a spare wick under the pad . another trick is to flip the flint over, if your spark is weak
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lots of good info here ...

Quoted:

Guys, Zippo lighters are sturdy, dependable and durable American machines.
They do however require upkeep and occasional maintenance. Just like your guns.

First, Zippo lighters are made in America. Cherish this.
They are also guaranteed for life (except for the finish) and Zippo will fix or replace any Zippo lighter for free, forever.

Second ...

<snip>

Fourth, The fuel, wick, and flint are all consumable.
All three of these items are commonly available at any drug store, smoke shop, Walmart, etc. in America.
A wick will last you years. A flint, months.

Store a spare flint under the felt pad, not in the little hole in the pad. This is the basic back-up, the flint is a wear item ...

However, why not this ?

Charlie can hear it rattle against the case.

(The hole is for fueling, so you don't have to lift the pad.)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Until it runs out Oh....about 87 units of measurment
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
i fill mine once or twice a week.  i smoke though
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Naptha is fairly volatile.

the tops dont seal well enough to prevent evaporation.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use Ronsonol in my Zippos and have noticed the same evaporation problem (I assume this is why it's so easy to light).

Will lamp oil or anything else a little less volatile work in Zippos, or will this just make the lighter unlightable?

I also use Ronsonol............but I use Zippo flints.

Use bic flints.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of good info here ...

<snip>

However, why not this ?

Charlie can hear it rattle against the case.

(The hole is for fueling, so you don't have to lift the pad.)

Doh !

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Where is my zippo? I haven't been able to find it since January.

This is the only reason why I don't carry a Zippo anymore.

The fuckers just seem to walk off.

I may just buy an Arfcom Zippo and stuff it with the torch insert though, much cooler than a bic.

I'll give it a year tops before I lose that one.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had my zippo for about 6 years.  It has been sent in 3 times for to have the broken hinge put back on.  It is all scratched and beat to hell.
Wouldn't trade it for a bic though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This will make it unlightable.  

Anything more volatile, like say gasoline, will take your damn eyebrows off at a minimum.

The Zippo is first and foremost a smoker's lighter.  It's intended use is frequent but short.  

A full fill "should" last a week, maybe two at the outside. That's it. Even shorter when it's hotter, or the lighter is fucked with constantly, or used in windy conditions a lot.  Using it to light campfires or cast light keeps it lit for longer than intended really, and can lead to the wick scorching or sooting up.  Sometimes wiping the wick down with a fluid soaked rag helps in that respect, or just pull up some fresh wick and trim, or just replace the whole thing with new.

I've used zippo lighters for a good number of years.  I think Ronsonol fluid smells funky and lights poorly compared to Zippo fluid, but it's a lot easier to find.  I think their flints suck too, the flints out of bic lighters are better.

ETA- for your SHTF kit, there's this little keychain.. One flint, one measured fill of zippo fluid, and even a little flint screw turner/keyfob-thing.  They're fairly decently made and seal with rubber gaskets.  They'll keep the fluid safe for at least a year and likely longer.  Not sure if they're still easy to find, they were common enough a few years back.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Traditional Zippo would last 7-10 days for a pack to pack and a half a day smoker.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#15]
about two weeks
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#16]
evaporation in action.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#17]
About 2 weeks tops

It was the only kind of lighter we could carry in the Navy
(Bic lighters were not allowed)

Always kept spare flints under the cotton pad

Filled with Naphtha

I still have a couple of them around here somewhere.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I picked up this one yesterday:

I have a couple other zippos... a brushed stainless one I got from some Marlboro rep at a club (I don't smoke cigarettes) and a polished stainless with my initials on it that was a gift from a friend of mine before he passed away.  I smoke a pipe, so I needed the pipe lighter, but I have heard that if you send your regular Zippo to them and request a pipe insert, they'll slap one in it and send it back to you FOR FREE.  AND!!  AND... they'll send back the original insert with it.   Zippo stands behind their products and will do you right.

Haven't been puffing the pipe too long, but I'd expect to have to fuel up the lighter ever couple weeks at the minimum.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've given up on Zippos. I can't even get my old zippo (8 years old) to work at all anymore, I changed the wick, filled it up but it just wont light

Send it to Zippo.  They will fix for free.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Dries up fast...stainless steel pnut lighters last months due to o-ring..
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So I have to fill this thing every couple of weeks just to have it ride around in my pocket in case I get lost in the woods or get drunk and want to set stuff on fire? Yes I know there are more uber survival lighters but I like this one, well when it works anyway.

Lighter fluid evaporates. That's part of what makes it lighter fluid. If you don't want it evaporating so quickly (couple weeks), fill it with dish soap or something.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe I'll try the butane insert

Don't bother, they are junk.  I went through two (neither worked properly) before I gave up and went back to the regular insert.

I don't smoke and I refill mine about once every 1-2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

After the apocalypse, you can use the rendered fat of your enemies. Yup, that will work in a Zippo.

i would like to read more about this.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#25]
FYI, the flints from disposable lighters last much longer than the little Ronsinol or Zippo flints.

They're usually too long, but easy to cut down with a pair of scissors.  Use one half, put the other under the felt pad for safekeeping.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
About 2 weeks tops

It was the only kind of lighter we could carry in the Navy
(Bic lighters were not allowed)

Always kept spare flints under the cotton pad

Filled with Naphtha

I still have a couple of them around here somewhere.

Why no Bic lighters in the Navy?

They are explosive hazards and usually being made of plastic can be breached by a spark or ember.
They'll also vent flammable gas at high temperatures (It says so right on the warning sticker).

It's basically a little pressurized fuel-air bomb.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've given up on Zippos. I can't even get my old zippo (8 years old) to work at all anymore, I changed the wick, filled it up but it just wont light

You have to have vesseled virgins trim the wick.....

ETA: I carry my spare flints on top of the bottom layer of cotton, inside the lighter.

Well there is your problem.  You probably want to use Vestal Virgins, not virgins a bunch of sailors have been keeping onboard their ship  

Does anyone know if vacuum sealing a full zippo will preserve the fuel?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

DON'T DO THIS!

I killed one of my Zippos by filling with kerosene

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

FYI, the flints from disposable lighters last much longer than the little Ronsinol or Zippo flints.

They're usually too long, but easy to cut down with a pair of scissors.  Use one half, put the other under the felt pad for safekeeping.

Is there a certain method for easily removing those flints from the plastic disposables ?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a certain method for easily removing those flints from the plastic disposables ?

Rip the spark wheel out with a pair of NN pliers.
The spring will work in your AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rip the spark wheel out with a pair of NN pliers.
The spring will work in your AR.

The flint will , too. I had a flint pivot pin detent in one of mine for a while ; works great if you don't have spare small parts on hand.

ETA - My Zippo get fueled with Ronsonol once a week , and flints last me a month or so. Mine still runs on the original wick and sponge , and it's about 8 years old. I'm sure the wick will get too short one of these days , but I don't see the sponge ever failing , barring prolonged exposure in a fire.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I have replaced a Zippo wick exactly one time.
On a unit I used daily for several years and fucked with a lot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My zippo lasts a week with regular use and my IMCO torch is about the same. Does anyone know if you can use any other fuel source in a Zippo or an IMCO?

Any flammable liquid. YMMV.
Zippo fluid is naptha.

we get this stuff in 55 gallon drums at work. I have a gallon of it sitting in my office for my lighters.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My zippo lasts a week with regular use and my IMCO torch is about the same. Does anyone know if you can use any other fuel source in a Zippo or an IMCO?

Any flammable liquid. YMMV.
Zippo fluid is naptha.

we get this stuff in 55 gallon drums at work. I have a gallon of it sitting in my office for my lighters.

exactly, heck your naptha might have come from my refinery even, we ship all over the place

I have a few hundred liters here, but I need to get an Arfcom lighter to put it in
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top