Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is for us. Next house will have 4+
View Quote

When we built our house a few years ago I did a 3 car wide extra deep garage.....hindsight I wish I would have done 4 wide.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
i dont think ive ever heard someone comment on their home "we have too much storage space"
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol.

I'd be doing 3 attached, plans for a 40x60 pull through outbuilding, and probably another garage rented somewhere close to pavement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
First house had a 2 car, current house has a 3 car. There is no way I'm going back to a 2 car.

I thought my 3 car was enough until my dad showed me the plans for their house they are building that has a 3 car, but he third bay is 45' long and opens both at the front of the house and the backyard...damn, now I need one of those.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely do it.   I always regretted not doing it on the last house we built.  Our current home has a 3 car and I would like to have a 4th.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
So important I just bought a house with a four car garage .
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Do it now and while you are at it, run PVC pipes under your driveway for future water and 12v lighting....
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We are considering building a house. The model we like can only be had on one particular lot if you go with a three car garage.

That lot is $15k more than another lot we could pick with a two car build of the same house.

Additionally, the three car option adds $13k. That means for us to get a three car it would cost an additional $28k over what a two car build would cost.

As much as I want a three car, it doesn't make since at that price to me.
View Quote

Settle for a two car garage, and then build a big shop out back
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly 3 car garage isn't even that big. I want a detached shop/pole building on top of the garage for the daily drivers.... 2 car is down right cramped. Wife puts a some gardening stuff and a few boxes and that's maybe a 1 car garage if you're lucky. Let alone no work space.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty important, as I used it as a workshop and storage for bikes and tools.

Plus, when it was 3 across, I could park my truck in front of it, and still be able to get in/out with the other two cars (truck wouldn’t fit anyway).

Now, with the new home we’re having built, the third car spot is in tandem, meaning I lost that driveway space.

But honestly, a third car garage would be optional if I could have an indoor workshop and storage space instead.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Honestly 3 car garage isn't even that big. I want a detached shop/pole building on top of the garage for the daily drivers.... 2 car is down right cramped. Wife puts a some gardening stuff and a few boxes and that's maybe a 1 car garage if you're lucky. Let alone no work space.
View Quote
I'm glad I don't have a new house in the burbs.  My 3 stall garage is 3 legit stalls and it can feel cramped at times.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We are considering building a house. The model we like can only be had on one particular lot if you go with a three car garage.

That lot is $15k more than another lot we could pick with a two car build of the same house.

Additionally, the three car option adds $13k. That means for us to get a three car it would cost an additional $28k over what a two car build would cost.

As much as I want a three car, it doesn't make since at that price to me.
View Quote

I would pay double that for a third car garage right now.  That's a slamming good value IMHO.  You're nuts to think twice for only $28k.

You know where a third garage spot is really handy in a subdivision type home?  It's place to put your lawn mower, snowblower, bikes, strollers and all that other junk that's nice to be able to get out of your garage without having to back a car out first.

You ever notice how many people put their junk in their garage and leave their cars in the driveway?  That's why more people need a three car garage than initially think they do.  

If we had 3 actual cars, I'd want a 4 car garage.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:And I love the raised "curb" that controls dirt/water from the vehicles.
View Quote

+1

My garage has depressions in the floor for the vehicles and everything else is about 1.5" higher than grade. There's a drain under each spot.

Very nice as the snow melt just drains without lifting a finger.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
We have 7 cars in our garage right now (one up on a lift) and I've never thought we had too much space  

I would drop that $28K in a heartbeat, just sayin'...
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

BINGO.  3 bay garages today are big enough to to put 3 Honda civics in, and shimmy around the sides of them.  Have them make them wider and deeper.  Worth the $, unless you like handlebar scratches down the sides of your cars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most newer 3 car garages are barely bigger than a true 2 car garage of yester year.

BINGO.  3 bay garages today are big enough to to put 3 Honda civics in, and shimmy around the sides of them.  Have them make them wider and deeper.  Worth the $, unless you like handlebar scratches down the sides of your cars.

Big time.  Almost every garage in my neighborhood is designed like all people are ever going to have in there is two CUVs and nothing else.  I swear whoever is designing cookie cutter tract homes has no clue how people actually live.

I went through a Toll Brother's neighborhood a while back with million dollar homes for sale and their garages were only 21' deep from garage door to black wall.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I love love LOVE my 3 bay 35’ wide garage. While it’s not really deep in two bays due to stairs, I will never downgrade and will only upgrade.

I would add in a hot and cold water spigot on the house side of the wall as well.  Makes cleaning cars a breeze.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#18]
And I think I can get 4 cars in mine with the width if I tried hard enough.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ll never have less than 3 car garage.  You’ll appreciate the space and when it comes time to sell having a 3 vs 2 will make your lot more desirable vs the comparative houses in the ‘hood.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I would 100% do it. We are seriously thinking 4 car garage when we build in a few years. My truck, the wife's car, boat and a 4th stall for lawn equipment etc. Can't even park in the two car garage we have now.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top