Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess I didn't state clearly what I meant.  I won't worry about the empty or nearly empty magazine during the actual shooting event.  I'd rather reload as fast as possible and get my weapon back into operation than spend the extra one or more seconds manually removing the magazine with my weak hand, shoving it into a pocket, then drawing my spare mag and continually reloading.

When I release the mag in the weapon, I flick my wrist so the empty flies out of the way and lands a couple feet to my right.

If I lose the empty mag because I have to evacuate the area in chaos, then so be it.  It's empty, and I have more at home, and possibly in my vehicle as well.  If I can recover the magazine after the fact, then so be it.  If I'm dead or wounded, then I have bigger concerns than an empty magazine.

ETA:  After reading this thread last night I spent about 20 minutes practicing reloads with my Glock 34, and they are getting smoother and smoother.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#2]
My take on the the whole "reload dry or reload before dry" thing:

tactical reload vs combat reload.

Combat Reload:
If you have a target and you need to keep firing, you DONT stop until you gun is dry.  Then, you let the mag fall free while your grabbing your reload.  Of course, if possible, grab some cover if you're able but the MOST important thing is to get the weapon reloaded.

Tactical Reload:
If you have cover and time, "grab" the mag out of the gun and place it somewhere else than where you keep the other fully loaded mag (if there are two or more relaods).  That way, when the shooting starts again your weapon will be "topped off" and you will have less of a chance of running dry.

This is what I have been taught and this is what works well for me and this is what makes the most sense IMO, but as always there is more than one way to butcher a cow.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats pretty damn fast and crazy smooth. This is why smooth is fast...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Anyone have links to more videos like this?  

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're looking for something to train with, I suggest the Matt Burkett videos.  He does a real good job of teaching the basics and how to go about practicing.
There's also some video clips showing some of the higher end guys running stages.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The damn link is dead.

HUNTER.

Works from me....and yes i cleared the cache just to make sure.
CH
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Why reload?  Get em with the first round!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone have links to more videos like this?

Todd Jarrett showing grip technique. He does a reload at similar speed and he's not using a racegun with a huge magwell. Watch him clean a plate rack.

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363&q=ipsc
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a short vid of me and my TRP at the range on saturday.

media.putfile.com/morerange-005

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Friendly critique:  

Do not drop the weapon from your line of sight when reloading.  

Move the pistol as little as possbile during reload.  Your mag hand should be doing all the movement, not your gun hand.

Do not look at the gun, look at the target.  Takes some practice.  While you're busy looking at your gun, your target could be doing all sorts of bad shit.

Use the slide release...it's there for a reason.

Might want to work on your stance a bit too.

ETA: watching video of yourself is one of the best ways to help correct mistakes.

BC

BC
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Friendly critique:  

Move the pistol as little as possbile during reload.  Your mag hand should be doing all the movement, not your gun hand.

Do not look at the gun, look at the target.  Takes some practice.  While you're busy looking at your gun, your target could be doing all sorts of bad shit.

ETA: watching video of yourself is one of the best ways to help correct mistakes.

BC

BC

Cool, thanks man!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
With a revolver or 1911: Pretty doggone!

HH
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Friendly critique:  

BC

BC

Agree with everything you said except for that one in red. Ive heard it argued that due the the lack of fine motor skills when engaged in a firefight its not advisable to train to use the slide release. The slide is alot easier to grab onto when someone is shooting back at you

Plus I have heard that releasing the slide catch can damage the slides of older weapons.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Somewhere along the line I heard that you don't use the slide-release to release the slide.  Just pull it back and let it go.  Kinda stuck with me and the only time I ever use the slide-release is to manually lock the slide open.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Somewhere along the line I heard that you don't use the slide-release to release the slide.  Just pull it back and let it go.  Kinda stuck with me and the only time I ever use the slide-release is to manually lock the slide open.

Same here.  That's all I do know when I;m at the range.  It takes a half second longer, but I figure training the right way will ensure I don't screw that up during the real deal.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
typical 3 pages of ar15 monkey boy replies.

Travis Tomasie is a USPSA/IPSC GM in open and limited classes.

It's not the magwell. It's the shooter.

He came in 5th place at the 2005 Limited(stock gun) Nationals
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#19]
He maybe able to reload fast but can he turn around lightening fast. I dont know why but this made me laugh. video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8239242198328458606&q=uspsa
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I need to practice my reloads.

Im not an expert nor have I been to many classes. But if im shooting at someone and they are shooting back at me my general idea is to shoot untill im empty and reload as quick as possible.

Unless I have a good bit of cover then I'd reload before I ran dry.

I always like my weapons fully loaded, heck even when im hunting as soon as a round leaves my gun and I stop firing I reload. But if I've no cover and im in a firefight im sure as hell not gonna reload when theres a few rounds in my gun.... But if I miss that many times I will be a tad unhappy to begin with.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#21]
taggity taggity tag.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Former US Army Team shooter, Julie Goloski,  now shooting for Glock,  at the USPSA / IPSC Nationals..

www.juliegoloski.com/videos/jg_05prdnats.wmv
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd like to see him do that with a Cap and Ball.  Geeze you guys crack me up!   "My toy is better than yous!"  Typical those who can not down play those who can.  "Oh yeah if I had a rifle like that I could shoot better than him".  Please put up or shut up.    As for reloading with the slide forward, where did it say anywhere that he was given a combat reload demonstration?  You reload all the time with the slide forward in USPSA competition and since he had a race gun in his hands I am sure that is what the demonstration was for.  Even if he was reloading with a locked back slide, he swept the mag from the well and retained the empty mag before reloading, he would still be 100X faster than all of you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why would I ever eject a magazine onto the floor and quickly slap in a new magazine without working the slide?

You've exchanged fire with a "threat". You have fired several rounds.

The suspect took cover or fell behind an object that blocks your sight of him.

You are behind cover, and want to put a fresh mag in, in case the suspect pops back out.

Your primary concern is having a FULLY loaded weapon ready to go with the minimum amount of time when no magazine is in the gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Friendly critique:  

BC

BC

I agree with all of that except, leave the gun out...........

It's tougher to hold the gun steady, one handed, arm fully extended than it is to bring your arm back, bending the elbow, so it is 4"-6" from your chest. It's also easier for your support hand to find the gun, canting the gun toward the support side makes it easier still.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Well he better be able to reload about twice as fast as me, I have one of those 13+1 .45's he has 8+1.....................................

So I reload less.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top