Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I know a woman who works at a rehab for doctors

you got guys in there who threw away $500K a year medical careers to get fucked up on that pharma grade stuff

As far as drug addition goes, you got certain people who have a switch clicked on in their head to be an addict and some don't

that's a fact

aside from that, certain drugs cause physical, chemical dependency.  

It kind of hilarious that the non-alcoholics of arfcom GD think that they are not alcoholics because of their amazing willpower.

trust me, 1/2 of my family are drunks, it has little to do with willpower.

I personally could not care less if I ever had another drop of alcohol in my life.  I must be the king of willpower!  woot!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Dilaudid is where it's at.

Fentanyl with a morphine kicker.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
as others stated I think they aren't in pain when they take them.  That and I think some people are just prone toward being addicts.   I took percocet for my back, and  I stopped no problem.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I can understand opium based addictions. I was given OxyContin After a disk fusion. I liked it so much it scared me. I won't ever take it again. What is Percocet
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

........ What is Percocet

Percocet is a combination of regular Tylenol and oxycodone.

OxyContin is a time released version of oxycodone, with out the Tylenol added.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They don't have pain when they take them. They take them for psychological reasons.

I believe this is it.

I took them and Vicodin for a little over a year back in 2006 for the back surgery on my avatar.
No problems. They were giving me 90 at a time of the largest percocets available.
I was supposed to take two every 4 hours with a blue valium.
If I took two it felt as though I had to remind my self to breath...so I took only one.

Sounds like you are allergic to them.

ETA: I've had 4 back surgeries so I've had a lot of experience with heavy duty industrial strength pain killers.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Liquid morphine via a pump was the "rock star" of them all for me.
On that shit I could have cut my own leg off.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I will say this though. On Saturday, I had taken some of Percocet.  I waited an hour then gave myself my biweekly deep intramuscular injection into my upper thigh, which I hate because it hurts like a MF. This time, I didn't feel a thing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#9]

one note from my experience, I initially dumped percocet because I wasn't using enough.

1 affected me as it did you.

1.5 felt much better pain-relief wise.

in the end, vicodone works better for me all around.

(I also use lidoderm patches and had my first nerve block a few weeks ago.)

Quoted:
I will say this though. On Saturday, I had taken some of Percocet.  I waited an hour then gave myself my biweekly deep intramuscular injection into my upper thigh, which I hate because it hurts like a MF. This time, I didn't feel a thing.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#10]
When I almost shattered my ankle I was eating those things by the handful without it touching the pain, pulled ligaments and tendons and DEEP bone bruise.  Had to mix it a bit with a toke and two percs.  I do not advocate smoking but for a pain killer it is kicking with a perc chaser.

Now when I cut through the small bones in my foot with tendons I was given darvocet which did fuck all for the pain but made me not care.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]
When I used drink a lot of coke. I would get real bad headaches if I drink one for awhile.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fentanyl pees on Dilaudid

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it Victorian Era style. Laudenum in this motherfucker!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Percocet helps me slightly with pain. no high at all, kinda sick though.

Vicodin on the other hand gives me tremendous energy, and makes me talkative. I mean like, everyone needs to know every thought in my head.
I also like to sing LOUDLY while on them
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 If taken for prolonged periods, then the body develops tolerance & physical dependence.  Some people abuse them for the feeling and become dependent, and withdrawal from either of those situations is unpleasant.  

Still some people are more susceptible to becoming dependent on them than others.

Like I said earlier, I've been taking perc and hydrocodone for about 4 months now, a bunch of them. Mostly hydrocodone because I had fewer percocets. I've gone through a few hundred hydrocodone in that time frame. I've also been taking gabapentin which is supposedly not habit forming and a bunch of flexeril.

I haven't had any problems stopping the perc and hydrocodone which I'd built up a massive tolerance to. I have no desire to take any more and I've got plenty left. I'm still taking the gabapentin but just as a preventative to keep my legs from hurting and I'm oblivious to anything that it does. The first day I started taking them they really screwed me up but after that I haven't noticed anything. I could stop them right now if I wanted and I do want to because I'm tired of taking pills but I'm worried that the leg pain will come back and it takes several days for the gab to actually start doing anything.

I know a lot of people get easily addicted to them but I can't be alone where I can just quit after a few months of them and not have any withdrawal issues or cravings.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If taken for prolonged periods, then the body develops tolerance & physical dependence.  Some people abuse them for the feeling and become dependent, and withdrawal from either of those situations is unpleasant.  

Still some people are more susceptible to becoming dependent on them than others.

Like I said earlier, I've been taking perc and hydrocodone for about 4 months now, a bunch of them. Mostly hydrocodone because I had fewer percocets. I've gone through a few hundred hydrocodone in that time frame. I've also been taking gabapentin which is supposedly not habit forming and a bunch of flexeril.

I haven't had any problems stopping the perc and hydrocodone which I'd built up a massive tolerance to. I have no desire to take any more and I've got plenty left. I'm still taking the gabapentin but just as a preventative to keep my legs from hurting and I'm oblivious to anything that it does. The first day I started taking them they really screwed me up but after that I haven't noticed anything. I could stop them right now if I wanted and I do want to because I'm tired of taking pills but I'm worried that the leg pain will come back and it takes several days for the gab to actually start doing anything.

I know a lot of people get easily addicted to them but I can't be alone where I can just quit after a few months of them and not have any withdrawal issues or cravings.

I was on fentanyl 150 mcg patches with 60 mg mscontin kickers for 8 months straight.  Got tired of the drugs and quit cold turkey.

After two years, I am back on them until my next back surgery.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When I used drink a lot of coke. I would get real bad headaches if I drink one for awhile.

Caffeine headaches are pretty common. I don't drink much coke but I drink a lot of tea and I'm fond of monsters when we're going out hunting late a night. If I don't get caffeine for a day or so I'll get a pretty bad headache. Sometimes I don't realize what it is at first until I realize I haven't had any caffeine lately then I'll get a quick infusion of some caffeine and it'll go away within a few minutes.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

When I had surgery on my leg they put me on morphine the first day. I hit that pump non-stop all day long as fast as it would let me and it didn't seem to do shit. Then I did it all night and by the next day it was hurting every time I hit the button. It looked like I had a rash going up the inside of my arm where my vein was and it started to hurt every time I hit the button. It just wasn't giving me much relief.

They started another IV on my other arm and gave me diluadid and that stuff was awesome. I could feel it going up my arm and as soon as it hit my shoulder my entire body would tingle. It was an awesome sensation. I'd hit it again in a few minutes and I was better and then I'd hit it the 3rd time and it would put me out for a few hours. When I woke up I'd feel great for about an hour and then I'd have to start it all over again. I did that for two days and then they took me off of it. I'll never forget how awesome it felt.

Later I was put back on morphine for kidney stones and it worked great for that as well. It didn't make me feel awesome but it made me feel good and really helped the pain.

They put me back on morphine for my back surgery and it took the edge off but that was about it. I ran it non-stop as fast as I could pump it for one day and then all night and they took me off. 2x hydrocodone 10's provided about as much relief as the morphine and made me feel about the same.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Did I make it in before the "everybody who has had an addiction is a weak minded doper" crowd?

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was on fentanyl 150 mcg patches with 60 mg mscontin kickers for 8 months straight.  Got tired of the drugs and quit cold turkey.

After two years, I am back on them until my next back surgery.

I just think there are some people that don't get addicted to that stuff. I know it's all chemical and stuff like that but some people can just quit and it doesn't bother them, so it can't be all chemically related unless people like you and I are different somehow.

That's why I was taking that stuff, for my back. For the first couple of weeks I did get somewhat of a high off the pills but that went away. I still had trouble remembering stuff sometimes or I might zone out for a minute but they no longer made me feel good. It finally got to the point that they didn't make me feel anything. There was no difference between a handful of hydrocodone and taking tylenol except it helped the pain more.

I was worried that I'd have that back pain forever and I'd have to take pills for the rest of my life. Thankfully it's gotten better to the point that I stopped taking them and the pain is tolerable without anything and I can still function normally.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#21]
You can trade most pain/nerve pills for weed at you local dealer's.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just had two Dilaudid IV's last week from passing a kidney stone, def no pain...
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

When I had surgery on my leg they put me on morphine the first day. I hit that pump non-stop all day long as fast as it would let me and it didn't seem to do shit. Then I did it all night and by the next day it was hurting every time I hit the button. It looked like I had a rash going up the inside of my arm where my vein was and it started to hurt every time I hit the button. It just wasn't giving me much relief.

They started another IV on my other arm and gave me diluadid and that stuff was awesome. I could feel it going up my arm and as soon as it hit my shoulder my entire body would tingle. It was an awesome sensation. I'd hit it again in a few minutes and I was better and then I'd hit it the 3rd time and it would put me out for a few hours. When I woke up I'd feel great for about an hour and then I'd have to start it all over again. I did that for two days and then they took me off of it. I'll never forget how awesome it felt.

Later I was put back on morphine for kidney stones and it worked great for that as well. It didn't make me feel awesome but it made me feel good and really helped the pain.

They put me back on morphine for my back surgery and it took the edge off but that was about it. I ran it non-stop as fast as I could pump it for one day and then all night and they took me off. 2x hydrocodone 10's provided about as much relief as the morphine and made me feel about the same.

As always it depends on the limits they impose.
I started have hallucinations, i.e., "morphine dreams".
They were as real as looking out of my window, unbelievable.
Next they did the Dilaudid and that was not quite as vivid.
All-in-all I was on the pump for about 5 days.
Very visual indeed for me.

It must be heredity as my mom had hallucinations on morphine with her heart surgeries back in the late 70's.

Step 1: Calculate hourly dose for morphine
Typical Hourly Morphine Dose (mg/hour): (100 - age)/24
Age 30: 3 mg hourly morphine dose
Age 50: 2 mg hourly morphine dose
Age 70: 1.25 mg hourly morphine dose
Typical hourly higher morphine dose (double dose)
Age 30: 6 mg hourly morphine dose
Age 50: 4 mg hourly morphine dose
Age 70: 2.5 mg hourly morphine dose
Step 2: Set Lockout periods and Maximums
Maximum Lockout: 20 minutes
Typical lockout period range: 6 to 12 minutes
Set one hour or four hour maximums
Example for one hour Morphine maximum: 10 mg
Example for four hour Morphine maximum: 40 mg
Step 3: Consider background infusion
Indications
Opioid dependence
Severe pain on awakening
Calculation
Set background rate <50% of anticipated requirements
Typical adult background morphine rate: 1 mg/hour
Step 4: Determine PCA bolus Dose
Bolus dose: (higher dose per hour)/(doses per hour)
For lockout at 10 minute intervals: 6 doses
Example: 30 year old with higher morphine dose: 6 mg
Dose: 1 mg IV morphine boluses up to q10 minutes
Step 5: Convert from Morphine to other medication
Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) 1.5 mg per Morphine 10 mg
Meperidine (Demerol) 75 mg per Morphine 10 mg
Examples for typical 30 year old
Morphine
Boluses: 1 mg
Background infusion rate: 1 mg/hour (optional)
Hourly maximum: 10 mg
Lockout: 6 minutes
Hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
Boluses: 0.1 mg
Background infusion rate: 0.1 mg/hour (optional)
Hourly maximum: 1.5 mg

Bill
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
WHOOOOO would say 'yes' to that????

Quoted:
We had a member that liked to frequent these threads and ask others "for a few to hold him over" by IM till he could see a doctor.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]

I remember two feelings to that effect.

One was before knee surgery, it was right after college finals and I was burnt out from all the studying and stress.
The anesthesiologist used something that was two part to put me out, the first part just calmed me down,guessing IV valium.
I told him I needed some relaxing and he let me sit there on it for 4-5 minutes before he hit the second stuff and I konked out instantly.
That was awesome.

The second feeling was my recent hernia surgery.
They didn't warn me that they were putting me out, I just had the IV in and all of a sudden felt the freezing cold swallowing my arm, then my shoulder, then spreading....  (pictured myself as neo when they have him escape the matrix!) and then I realized what was happening and konked out instantly.....

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

As always it depends on the limits they impose.
I started have hallucinations, i.e., "morphine dreams".
They were as real as looking out of my window, unbelievable.
Next they did the Dilaudid and that was not quite as vivid.
All-in-all I was on the pump for about 5 days.
Very visual indeed for me.

It must be heredity as my mom had hallucinations on morphine with her heart surgeries back in the late 70's.

Step 1: Calculate hourly dose for morphine
Typical Hourly Morphine Dose (mg/hour): (100 - age)/24
Age 30: 3 mg hourly morphine dose
Age 50: 2 mg hourly morphine dose
Age 70: 1.25 mg hourly morphine dose
Typical hourly higher morphine dose (double dose)
Age 30: 6 mg hourly morphine dose
Age 50: 4 mg hourly morphine dose
Age 70: 2.5 mg hourly morphine dose
Step 2: Set Lockout periods and Maximums
Maximum Lockout: 20 minutes
Typical lockout period range: 6 to 12 minutes
Set one hour or four hour maximums
Example for one hour Morphine maximum: 10 mg
Example for four hour Morphine maximum: 40 mg
Step 3: Consider background infusion
Indications
Opioid dependence
Severe pain on awakening
Calculation
Set background rate <50% of anticipated requirements
Typical adult background morphine rate: 1 mg/hour
Step 4: Determine PCA bolus Dose
Bolus dose: (higher dose per hour)/(doses per hour)
For lockout at 10 minute intervals: 6 doses
Example: 30 year old with higher morphine dose: 6 mg
Dose: 1 mg IV morphine boluses up to q10 minutes
Step 5: Convert from Morphine to other medication
Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) 1.5 mg per Morphine 10 mg
Meperidine (Demerol) 75 mg per Morphine 10 mg
Examples for typical 30 year old
Morphine
Boluses: 1 mg
Background infusion rate: 1 mg/hour (optional)
Hourly maximum: 10 mg
Hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
Boluses: 0.1 mg
Background infusion rate: 0.1 mg/hour (optional)
Hourly maximum: 1.5 mg

Bill

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Those types of drugs make my bunghole clamp down tighter than a drum.

I can't shit for days afterwards and when I can the shit is almost as hard as a diamond.

And I can't urinate, either. That's my number one problem with this garbage. In the past, I have chosen pain over the opiates, and it was the smart decision! Pain was only about a 6 though.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#28]
i love it when people pull the "oh it's not going to do anything to me card"

k bro let's up the dosage a little bit and see if you're immune to opioids
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#29]
lol
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#30]
That crappy feeling goes away within 10 days or so. Remember to take stool softeners.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I was on Dilaudid after lung surgery and hated it. I always felt like crap after taking it, though it worked great for the pain. I can see how someone might get addicted though, as I noticed that 2 mg wasn't doing as much as  it used to do. If you take a little more to compensate, get used to it,  take more, etc.   you could end up with  a problem.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#32]
They hate themselves/their lives and can't scheme up a better solution.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

you got guys in there who threw away $500K a year medical careers to get fucked up on that pharma grade stuff

As far as drug addition goes, you got certain people who have a switch clicked on in their head to be an addict and some don't

that's a fact

aside from that, certain drugs cause physical, chemical dependency.  

It kind of hilarious that the non-alcoholics of arfcom GD think that they are not alcoholics because of their amazing willpower.

trust me, 1/2 of my family are drunks, it has little to do with willpower.

I personally could not care less if I ever had another drop of alcohol in my life.  I must be the king of willpower!  woot!

Ampule after ampule, vial after vial of the purest drugs, controlled only by you, you can cook up papers, swipe shit from patients, use left overs etc etc. If you have an addictive personality and any sort of risk taking behavior patterns, it's very easy to slip. It's downhill all the way though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We had a member that liked to frequent these threads and ask others "for a few to hold him over" by IM till he could see a doctor.

LMAO
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, fentanyl is pretty much BOSS.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, fentanyl is pretty much BOSS.

It wasn't that good if I still needed a morphine kicker along with it.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

k bro let's up the dosage a little bit and see if you're immune to opiates

IMHO nobody is immune to opiates. Cute idea but no cigar.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#38]
because for some, they make you feel like god.  would you give that up?

on a side note, regulation causes black markets..............
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

k bro let's up the dosage a little bit and see if you're immune to opioids

That is why I am Very Careful

There is always that chance
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#40]
All those prescription do to me is make me puke.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like you have the same reaction I have.

I call Vicodin 'head on a post', because it fucks me up so badly. And NOT in a 'good' way, at all.

I REALLY don't like taking that stuff.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hydrocodone is where it is at...

They work ok for a couple of weeks but your body quickly adapts to them and you have to take more and more and they're really only good for moderate pain. I've been taking handfuls of them for the last few months. I went from taking one 5/500 at a time to two-three 10/325's in a very short time in order to get the same relief. Initially I would get kind of sweaty, itchy and somewhat nauseous and I would feel "cloudy" or "fuzzy" mentally, that's the best way I can describe it. That quickly wore off too and I could take as many as I want and I couldn't tell a mental change but I could tell when they started working because it began taking the edge off of the pain.

I've really just started weaning myself off of them and I haven't had any cravings, it's just trying to make it through the residual pain that I'm still feeling.

I'm basically just tired of taking pills. I don't mind them for short periods but I've been doing this stuff for months and it just gets old.

used for several months with herniated disks that cause the 2nd worst pain in my life....worst pain was from 3rd degree, full thickness burns to 3/4 of my left leg while in the hospital.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I call Vicodin 'head on a post', because it fucks me up so badly. And NOT in a 'good' way, at all.

Tylenol or Aleve works better.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't. It's literally impossible.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#45]
How does someone get addicted to alcohol? I drink then I get drunk then I get hung over and then I continue with my life?

see the problems with your question

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a good one for you. I will be having a knee operation on the 17th. I cannot have any pain killer or aspirins until after the operation is done. If I do, I may end up waking up during the surgery as I did 4 years ago during my foot operation. During that surgery I woke up five time out of general anesthesia, and on the fifth time It took six people to hold me down and hog tie me to the table. Blood was everywhere and on everybody. The area looked like a slasher movie seen. The doctor said I was waking up because of my pain levels were peaking high while removing the three intertwined tumors in the bottom of my foot.

Example:

If I go to the dentist and get a root canal this week, and I return to get more work done two weeks later. I will need more Novocaine to stop the pain. I have been known to get three doses and still ride out the drilling.

Can't wait to see this doctors reaction when I wake up. He doesn't believe it happened at all. Told him to read the doctors and anaesthesiologist report. Then he notified me in writing not to take any pain killers or aspirin.

I will ask them to hog tie me before the surgery.

OK. That sounded kind of kinky.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a good one for you. I will be having a knee operation on the 17th. I cannot have any pain killer or aspirins until after the operation is done. If I do, I may end up waking up during the surgery as I did 4 years ago during my foot operation. During that surgery I woke up five time out of general anesthesia, and on the fifth time It took six people to hold me down and hog tie me to the table. Blood was everywhere and on everybody. The area looked like a slasher movie seen. The doctor said I was waking up because of my pain levels were peaking high while removing the three intertwined tumors in the bottom of my foot.

Example:

If I go to the dentist and get a root canal this week, and I return to get more work done two weeks later. I will need more Novocaine to stop the pain. I have been known to get three doses and still ride out the drilling.

Can't wait to see this doctors reaction when I wake up. He doesn't believe it happened at all. Told him to read the doctors and anaesthesiologist report. Then he notified me in writing not to take any pain killers or aspirin.

I will ask them to hog tie me before the surgery.

OK. That sounded kind of kinky.

I'll let one of our resident anesthesia guys comment on that but an anesthesiologist CAN AND WILL knock you out if he wants to.

There were probably issues about your specific conditions which prevented them from using more drugs at that time.

But yeah, it's impossible for APAP alone (tylenol) to be more effective than APAP AND hydrocodone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wow, that's really fracked up when that occurs often enough to create a sub-industry to handle it.

ETA:  I always thought Percocet was a straight pain-killer.  Off to Google I guess.
Oh wait.  ARFCOMers are supposed to boycott Google now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the same way people get addicted to Coca Cola, or eating chalk.  It is just another substance that those with addictive personalities use to fill a void.

ummm, no.

Opiates affect dopamine production in the brain, long term effects cause a chemical dependence where the brain will not produce dopamine without the presence of Opiates, or more accurately, THIQ.

Alcohol metabolizes into the same substance (THIQ) and has the same affect.

There is no such thing as an addictive personality. Certain people are just more genetically pre-disposed to chemical dependency than others. It has nothing to do with discipline, self control, will power or anything else. It is a chemical reaction that can be overcome and reversed.

Well your not correct either.
First of all nearly every drug that causes euphoria, pleasure and/or addiction interacts with dopamine in some form. You need to have an understanding of Neurology and NT's to understand that there are many many different ways that we can to artificially enhance the brains dopanergic response. Different drugs tend to work on different areas of the pathway all of which lead to a similar conclusion

Show me your study that proves that many of the people who are predisposed to addiction or who become addicts are not or did not become chemically deficient to certain NT's or their precursors or dependent areas. You will find evidence of quite the e opposite in fact.

Every single positive feedback or reward driven behavior we perform triggers an increase of dopamine release. It along witht a handful of other NT's drive our behaviors. Using drug related words like 'speed' and 'high' around an addict is enough to trigger a increase in dopamine levels, just saying the words around them causes their bodies to associate the terms with a rewarding feeling although a very very small 'and not artificial one' but still.

The behavior patterns that we display is what makes us who we are, it is literally the definition of ones personality. And personality is one of the very few ways we can help predict predisposition to addiction along with genetics and a few other more obvious variables. To say they are unrelated could not be more untrue.

Maybe to you it can be overcome and reversed? You cant make declarations like that  based on fact.

We have floors full of studies that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are definiate relationships bewtween certain personality traits, behavioral abilities etc. and addiction. But nobody including you or I can say why yet. so to try to answer the question in the way you did is ridiculous.

It is a chemical reaction but to say it can be simply reversed or that it has nothing to do with so and so or so and so is silly at this point bbecause we just don't know. We have a few crumbs,  some correlations but that's it.

Hes very much correct, people who get addicted to caffeine or nicotine do so for the same biological reasons as those addicted to a street amphetamine
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#50]
There is CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY and there is CHEMICAL ADDICTION, the two are not the same.

Chemical dependency is simply when you take something long enough your body becomes used to the chemical and craves/requires it but you are not addicted. Think of the morning coffee you drink. Addiction is more of a psychological phenomenon, think of the smoker who is on the patch and does not have a chemical craving but still wants to smoke due to the habit/pleasure.

Basically.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top