User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I put it in 1st and engage the parking brake.  I put it in R if I'm nose-down on a large hill.

This

double this.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh?

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
In reverse or first gear on level ground.

With the brake too, on any surface other than level.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
"I am ghey, I drive an auto ;)"

Yeah, I drive an automatic, but I don't have to worry about trannys.  Makes you wonder who's "ghey".
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
In 1st gear, no brake.   If I'm on any kind of slope, both.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Leave it out of gear and set the air breaks

I had an air break a few minutes ago the made the cats cry.

The Mustang however, has no air brakes, so I just set the e-brake. No gears.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
When I stop I let it come to a complete rest so there's no stress on the gears. Then I put it in 1st gear and cut the engine. Then, keeping my foot on the brake so as not to let the truck move and the gears be pressured, I engage the E-brake. Then I release pressure on the brake and exit the truck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the brake + gear method on my Toro Workman
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Ebrake only. There are no hills where I live.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Generally upon arriving at the destination i will pull the shifter out of neutral upon coming to complete stop using the "service brake", I will then pull my shifter out of gear and throw the high/low selector down so i don't forget before pulling out the next time, then i pull the Air valve buttons (Both if in a Combination vehicle just the one if i'm in a single vehicle).......I let the truck idle for a few moments to give the Turbo time to slow down and cool down.

If i'm only going to be in the office or know they will want me to "bump a dock" shortly i will leave the truck run, if not i shut her down. Then i will utilizing three points of contact climb down from the cab in a controlled manner as to not cause injury to myself. I will chock the wheels if i feel i am on a incline that may lead my truck and trailer to creep.

Now "U.S Xpress Ent." uses Automatics, but you never heard from me they aren't GHEY!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, reverse and parking brake.  Reverse is the lowest gear; you want to make gravity work as hard as possible to overcome the engine compression and move the car.

Why would you forget that it's in gear?  Are you in the habit of leaving it in neutral?

Hell, I can't start my car unless I have the clutch all the way down.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I put it in 1st and engage the parking brake.  I put it in R if I'm nose-down on a large hill.

This is what it says to do in my owners manual. I do it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Pssh. Pansies.

Neutral and set the air brake. With a trailer I'll set the spring brakes on the trailer.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
gear and ebrake.

Unless it's winter and sloppy out, then just the parking break. Had my car slide into me in a parking lot once and fried my tranny.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Gear only......NEVER EVER use a park brake on winter weather unless you like walking.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Like I said in the other thread, R only most of the time, if I am on a hill, then I will use the break or if I have one of the goosenecks hooked up.

My Dodge Cummins 2500 has a clutch sensor, won't turn over unless the clutch is in.  My bad boy has been bombed out(405hp/925ft/#'s) so you have to tap the throttle a little to catch ignition, so if I am on a hill...I will pop it in neutral with the brake still engaged and push the skinny pedal in a little.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I would never pork a tranny.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't owned a manual transmission-equipped car in several years.   But when I did,  gear and brake.   If the surface I was parked on was not level,

I'd put it in a higher gear for greater roll resistance.   (Obviously, the higher the gear, the better this works.)

CJ

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top