Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a woman's work so I don't
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In our upper cabinet I built steps 1-1/2" tall each step about 2" back.

Basically, you have 12" upper cabinet depth. 2x10 gives 2-3/4" space for spices on bottom. 2x8 nailed to x10 flush on backside. next, 2x6 and etc.

Its not a perfect system but cheap and easy.
View Quote

To clarify, you don't really need 2x10 on bottom or 2x8. You can just step back what you want since there is no real weight tosupport.
I used dimensional lumber to give better visual examples
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

The best cooks in the world are men.

Women are for baking.

Stop being lazy and reclaim your birthright
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Imagine not knowing how to create delicious food at random
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cooking is fun as hell.
You not only get to look at your creation/labor you get to eat it as well which you need to do to stay alive.

So many possibilities, give 5 people the same recipe and all 5 will be slightly different. I'm not a super creative person like alot of regular men but cooking is kind of an outlet for dudes in that respect I feel.

It's also fun to cook larger dinners together with your wife and work as a team.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I put racks on the inside of my upper cabinet doors.  I have this setup on 3 doors:

I started with these self-adhesive clips from Amazon:

They work OK for the lightweight plastic McCormick seasonings with the thinned neck, but heavier glass bottles would slide through the rings, so I built & glued little shelves for them to rest on.  At some point I started transferring my spices to lightweight plastic bottles I bought online, but the rings & shelves hold the heavy stuff fine.

.The ease of use is obvious...there is no digging for stuff.  The spices are in alphabetical order, and it's easy to put them right back in order when I'm done with them.  And they just barely intrude into the shelves...they take up zero cabinet or drawer space.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I put racks on the inside of my upper cabinet doors.  I have this setup on 3 doors:

https://i.postimg.cc/1z6K5dkH/IMG-0305.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51hfb9QDbtL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

They work OK for the lightweight plastic McCormick seasonings with the thinned neck, but heavier glass bottles would slide through the rings, so I built & glued little shelves for them to rest on.  At some point I started transferring my spices to lightweight plastic bottles I bought online, but the rings & shelves hold the heavy stuff fine.

.The ease of use is obvious...there is no digging for stuff.  And they just barely intrude into the shelves.
View Quote
Now I like that a lot.
I think I'm going to see if I can rig up something like that in my cabinets.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now I like that a lot.
I think I'm going to see if I can rig up something like that in my cabinets.
View Quote

If you buy plastic spice bottles to transfer stuff into from the heavy glass bottles, you don't need to make shelves.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 3-shelf cabinet dedicated to this.

There's a plastic three-tier thing on the bottom shelf where the spice bottles lay flat in drawers.  My most used spices are there.  To the right of of it are the big containers:  ground black pepper, peppercorns, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika.

The middle shelf has two plastic mini milk crate things that I pull down when I need something.  One has individual spices, the other has spice blends.

The top shelf has another two mini milk crate things.  One has my baking stuff (flavor extracts, colorings, etc), the  other all the weirdness.  [I have another entire cabinet for actual baking supplies and sugars and baking soda/powder and corn starch and that stuff.]

On the door I have mounted a couple plastic strips that hold bottles and the little can containers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stair-step, expandable rack;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09VB47C4Z?tag=arfcom00-20
View Quote

Basically mine is the same idea. 2" is plenty of room for small spice jar. You could certainly customize easier with wood not to mention its cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I just remember where  everything is.   People who alphabetize it or something are bizarre to me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

.The ease of use is obvious...there is no digging for stuff.  The spices are in alphabetical order, and it's easy to put them right back in order when I'm done with them.  And they just barely intrude into the shelves...they take up zero cabinet or drawer space.
View Quote

Nice set up, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The best cooks in the world are men.

Women are for baking.

Stop being lazy and reclaim your birthright
View Quote
Yup.  Baking, because you are told what to do and can't deviate or things fall.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

I built a simple rack from old barn wood I found here.

I buy bulk whole spices whenever I can and use those small jars. I’ve got very few pre-made mixed spices as I typically blend my own for specific recipes. Try to pare it down to whatever I use regularly, anything else gets tossed or kept in a drawer with the remaining bulk supplies.

Then there are the multiple mason jars full of various dried chilies and Indian beans and lentils….
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:“He who controls the spice controls the universe.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The best cooks in the world are men. Women are for baking.  Stop being lazy and reclaim your birthright
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#21]
nvmnd

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#22]
With the MOST IMPORTANT reminder above it.  With the spacing was bigger though. Some are too tall, wide...
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We have a really good system where we cram them all in no particular order in a dedicated kichen cabinet and I must search through them all each time I'm looking for one.

^^ this
I cook a lot and my spice cupboard is inadequate in size and looks like a toddler's toy box. It's on my todo list for over a year now but I don't have a solution for the space problem.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
After Penzeys decided to declare war on me, I found the Spice House, thanks to bros here.

I find their flat packs to be pretty sweet. They sell holders if you want as well.

https://www.thespicehouse.com/cdn/shop/files/DSC_1683_615x615.jpg?v=1683835064
View Quote

I know this feeling. And I'm not even a hard right conservative. The left just seems to have completely lost the plot. What's a little funny is that I used to see the right as the out of touch authoritarians. Now the left has become authoritarian. And both sides seem to see the other side as being insane. Like there is no objective reality anymore.

I wanted to do the pantry door thing but there is already something there that doesn't work and which I haven't been able to remove.

I purchased the drawer style organizers and they are out in my garage for when I buy or build a house that will hold them.
The drawers in my current kitchen are wholly insufficient...3 narrow and shallow, 2 a little less narrow and still shallow.

The thread spool cabinet idea sounds interesting and I have a new tab open now.

Presently I am using bins from a dollar store w/labels to group most of the small jars, then in the next cabinet I have larger items and thing in cellophane bags which are more difficult to manage.

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Organize?

We’ve got a couple of lazy Susan’s they’re piled on that I have to search through.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#26]
The problem with spice racks and organization systems is that most assume spice containers of equal size. This might be doable, but I use things like salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika approximately 87 times more often than I use tarragon or cardamom. So having small containers in a drawer is visually nice, but you're refilling the common ones far too often so it's wasting space and often not practical.

I keep salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and one of my blends inside a cabinet above the prep board where I season most often. There's a spice cabinet of relatively loose organization nearby in the kitchen, and lots of larger containers in the pantry. There really isn't any good solution that's practical for people who like to cook. If I made my sauerkraut every day, I would keep those spices handy, but I don't, so some of them stay in the cabinet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I love this style. It keeps everything secure, and you can still put things on top of it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

As found here this is what I use. Haven’t done the shelf idea yet though. Might have to put that in the to-do list
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#29]
A complicated cylindrical Tetris of what fits on top of what else in that particular cabinet.

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Stuff I use in the front, Stuff I forgot about in the back.
View Quote

Pretty much this.  The only other organization method is the taller spices in the back and the smaller ones up front.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We have a really good system where we cram them all in no particular order in a dedicated kichen cabinet and I must search through them all each time I'm looking for one.
View Quote
This is my method as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#32]
That's my wife's department.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't organize things well.

When I cook, I just tell my wife what I want. My DIY efforts result in a discussion of "why did you put that there?" or "where is x"?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#36]
How much space do you need for salt, pepper, garlic salt and chili powder?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Salt on the left, pepper on the right.

But, after the new moon, its Pepper on the left and salt on the right, until I fuck up and put the salt back on the left. No choice at that point but to put the pepper proudly next the salt, on the right.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#38]

I have two of these in a cabinet.  They are freaking amazing.  I added shelves on the insides of the cabinet doors for odd sized bottles.  SO much easier to find things!
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#39]
By flavor profile & particle size like I learned at Culinary Institute of America
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I am too OCD so all spices come out of their original jars and into glass labeled ones with the exception of the large restaurant size ones that I buy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I use salt.

That's it.

So its pretty easy to organize.

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#43]
My wife's method of organizing drawers and closets is push, cram and shove. They're all a fucking disaster.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Salt pepper cayenne onion and garlic powders up
Front, anything else is in the back and mostly unnecessary
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Group spices like cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, etc together.  Separate from herbs like oregano, rosemary, and marjoram.  Baking stuff like powder, soda, cocoa, etc go together.  Mixes like meat rubs and chicken or steak seasoning go together.

Group by uses and arrange on shelves by both use and size.  Not good to have to drag a stool over to sort thru fifty small containers on the top shelf.

Buy or build some smaller shelves that fit your containers and line sides and back of lower shelf with these.  Throw those lazy Susan racks away.  Commit to buying that same size container.

Be disciplined to put stuff away and tidy up before you reach the rage point of hurling allspice across the room when you are looking for saffron but can only find four containers of whole peppercorns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We cook a lot and use a lot of different spices. Every time I have to look for something in our spice cabinet my OCD starts bugging me.  

What sort of system do you use? Photos would be great.

TIA!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/78F37B3B-D710-4750-ACEE-2518E6988E48_jpe-3010235.JPG
View Quote

Where's the Spike? I can't find the Spike...where'd you put the Spike?

Whadda ya mean...we're out?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#47]
We only have the following pre-ground spices.
Montreal Seasoning
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Italian Seasoning
Bay Leaves
Cumin
Coriander
Cream of Tartar
Garlic Powder
Onion Flakes
Paprika
Salt
Peppercorns (in a mill)

So not much to keep track of.  So it all goes into a pull-out tower in one of the cabinets near the stove.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Strewn about haphazardly on the countertops and crammed into various drawers and cabinets in no particular order.
View Quote

Same here.
In my single days I prided myself in my organizational skills, with spices and everything else.

Since getting married, it's complete and utter chaos.
Stuff stored randomly everywhere, silverware all mixed together, containers with no lids, lids without containers.....
Damned lucky she's good looking.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I got married 35 years ago and the spices have been magically organized ever since.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Wall-mounted rack that I made:

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top