BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That dude in the meme survived, skull fracture and chest brokies.
View Quote

That's one tough sumbitch.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I just replaced a blink camera with a eufy stand+alone w/solar panel over the cars in the driveway.    The blink would just stop working after a time.  I would have to pull batteries to reset and get motion detection working again.

I like the eufy app better.  More responsive.  I still have blink at my front door and back yard.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a hardwired unifi system with dream machine pro. It was a steep learning curve with no tech support but I have it mostly figured out now. I want to expand but cameras are super hard to find now.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]

I use Hikvision with Blue Iris. It’s been very reliable over the years.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Poe wired is still the best. Get 8MP resolution

Reolink
Amcrest
Hikvision
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Poe wired is still the best. Get 8MP resolution

Reolink
Amcrest
Hikvision

This.  My vote goes to Hikvision.

Quoted:
If you’re talking a real system, find an Avigilon integrator.

If you’re just looking for a big box solution, I think the Arlos aren’t Chinese made. Hikvision, Lorex, Dahua, they’re all Chinese made and are likely to have back doors built in. What’s the risk at your home?  Eh, probably not big, but does it make you feel weird that some dude in Shanghai can look in on you?

Wired POE is the only way to go. But then, you’re probably not worried about your home network being hacked. Work maybe, maybe not.

Just about any maker could have a back door by design OR someone figured one out.  One of the quickest ways to tell if a manufacturer is security conscious is if they have firmware updates available on a regular basis for their equipment.  If not, it is a given they only care about pushing out the equipment and have no intention of closing back doors or other security flaws discovered after the product has been released.  And NO manufacturer can truthfully claim their cams are unhackable so there is never a need for a firmware update.  If a NVR or camera manufacturer never has any firmware updates, steer clear of them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you’re talking a real system, find an Avigilon integrator.

If you’re just looking for a big box solution, I think the Arlos aren’t Chinese made. Hikvision, Lorex, Dahua, they’re all Chinese made and are likely to have back doors built in. What’s the risk at your home?  Eh, probably not big, but does it make you feel weird that some dude in Shanghai can look in on you?

Wired POE is the only way to go. But then, you’re probably not worried about your home network being hacked. Work maybe, maybe not.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with the Chinesium cameras. You just have to know how to cut them off from phoning home.

Almost all my cameras are Dahuas. Some of them have been going 24/7 for 5+ years...rain, snow, heat, hurricanes, whatever...they rarely quit.

I have them on their own subnet with no gateway, and a second NIC in my BI PC on the same subnet. The traffic on the IP camera subnet is unroutable, so nothing can phone home. I VPN into my network if I want to view the cameras with the BI app, so no ports have to be opened at the perimeter for web server access.

The added benefit of Blue Iris is direct Deepstack integration. That is some pretty awesome AI, especially with a decent GPU (since you can run multiple instances in parallel). False positives for motion detection are almost unheard of now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:43:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I also use Reolink. They have been pretty good about support and updates and listening to feedback..

I have 1 amcrest, biggest price of shit ever, software hasn't been updated for about 2 years, garbage design, garbage UI.. garbage all around.

They are both china.. But Reolink cares a little bit.. amcrest doesn't.

Are Reolinks perfect? Nope, sometimes they hiccup a bit if i'm streaming hi-res and other times they'll be fine. I use them MOSTLY wired, as wireless isn't great for any system in reality, but they've been worth the money I paid except one that flaked out, which they promptly replaced and let us keep the old broken one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:46:34 AM EDT
[#8]
We have Arlo Pro cameras. I got tired of changing batteries about once every other week. So I got solar panels compatible with the Pro cameras. Batteries stay at 100% day and night.
We have 4 cameras set up around the house. I have a 5th camera I need to set up, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a POE 4mp hikvision setup.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like my Ubiquiti setup. I have both wired and Wireless and am very happy with their performance. I get about 60 days of continuous recoding on 4 cameras.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How much AI is built into a system like this? Does it send motion alerts? Can you set a detection zone? Can you set it to only detect people or vehicles?
View Quote
Reolink's AI for person and vehicle recognition works very well. I rarely if at all get false alarms such as branches swaying. I had to turn off vehicle notifications our street is so busy. I have the newer 4K cameras I believe.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, google and youtube 'Nelly's security" they have two brands of POE wired cameras., Both plug and play with the matching NVR. watch all their videos, they go from basic to advanced. UNI is their better brand and has advanced AI.
Hikvision and others are not NDAA compliant. that is why Nelly's dropped them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Blink cameras going on 7 years now, quite sufficient for my needs.
View Quote

Our Blink crapped out after 1 year.  And they would record when there was no motion.
Visual quality was good though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I use unifi cameras, I've got a mix of cameras around the house.
The reason I went with them and not something else is because I was building out a unifi network anyway, and didn't want to pay for access monthly for some other asshole in a datacenter somewhere to have access to my cameras.
The recordings stay with me on site.

It's not a perfect system, but overall pretty good. With the 6 cameras I have now, I get about 35 days of 1440p recordings on an 8tb HDD.
Nice thing about protect is the NVR is built into the UDM pro, so the double duty it pulls as a switch and firewall plus NVR is a bonus.

Downside is availability and cost..
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#16]
If you have less than 8 cameras, get Axis cameras and Milestone VMS.

I have that setup at my house and I have an 8TB drive in my PC for video storage.

It is more expensive than the commie cams you mentioned, but you get out of systems what you put into them.

NEVER USE WIRELESS

Wire everything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m looking for advice as well.

I’m pretty much sold on Ubiquiti.  I have their APs, the latest POE switch, and getting a Dream Machine Pro delivered this week.  Love the app.  

I want to get their cameras.   What wired cameras should I be looking at?

I need something that’ll survive outdoors, NV out of the box,  I want something that’s not obsolete and not cutting edge (don’t want to pay for that).  Is there a sweet spot for those requirements?

I know finding anything Ubiquiti is going to be the real issue.  I don’t mind getting a couple of cameras at a time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m looking for advice as well.

I’m pretty much sold on Ubiquiti.  I have their APs, the latest POE switch, and getting a Dream Machine Pro delivered this week.  Love the app.  

I want to get their cameras.   What wired cameras should I be looking at?

I need something that’ll survive outdoors, NV out of the box,  I want something that’s not obsolete and not cutting edge (don’t want to pay for that).  Is there a sweet spot for those requirements?

I know finding anything Ubiquiti is going to be the real issue.  I don’t mind getting a couple of cameras at a time.
View Quote

I use mainly g4 cameras, (have one g3 flex in the garage)
Mine have been outdoors for over a year now, no issues so far. I do hang them under eaves to try and provide some protection, but I'm sure they'd be fine without the eaves as well.
they're 1440p, and have decent nightvision, plus gig ethernet, the g3's have 100mbps FE. Not like it really matters performance wise, but just something to be aware of.

The G4 is probably your best bet, not crazy expensive, fairly new and good performers. Wish the FOV was wider on them, but tradeoffs and all that. G3 is not bad, but only 1080p and the G4 is only $50 more.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I use mainly g4 cameras, (have one g3 flex in the garage)
Mine have been outdoors for over a year now, no issues so far. I do hang them under eaves to try and provide some protection, but I'm sure they'd be fine without the eaves as well.
they're 1440p, and have decent nightvision, plus gig ethernet, the g3's have 100mbps FE. Not like it really matters performance wise, but just something to be aware of.

The G4 is probably your best bet, not crazy expensive, fairly new and good performers. Wish the FOV was wider on them, but tradeoffs and all that. G3 is not bad, but only 1080p and the G4 is only $50 more.
View Quote

What he said.  G4 is fine.  There are actually a handful of negative review on the G4 Pro and moisture behind the glass last I saw.  Plus, the price/performance isn't really there.

I managed to snag two of the G3 Instants and those are great for a "mobile" camera to watch a spot "temporarily".  By that I mean, it is wifi connected so you wouldn't want to rely on it.  However, I've been able to plug it into a 20,000 mAh battery and it run forever.  It is however not weather resistant at all.

The G3 Flex is nice, but definitely the bottom of quality I would ever get.  Mine looks at a rollup door so it is fine for that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Based on arfcoms recommendations I went with a Reolink system.

The only real downside to the system is the motion alerts suck. Way too sensitive if you live in the woods.
View Quote
You mention the woods - it's not an issue of sensitivity, as you can adjust that. It's a matter of detecting any and all motion, rather than using some kind of discriminator function. I guess their newer cams have that, but mine is a couple years old and it too triggers on windblown shrubbery (and lighting changes due to cloud movement) too easily. But, I still think it's a good system as long as you're recording 24/7 and not expecting to rely 100% on the triggers/markers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I have several types. Harbor Freight 6 cam kit wired into a hidden recorder, Wyze and Ring that alert on my phone. The Wyze cams are very easily hidden inside the house.

Helped locate a lost dog a few days ago with my security cams. Only use it has gotten except for peace of mind (knocks wood).
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#22]
We run a Lorex 8 camera system with a 1TB recorder. The only wiring is the power to the cameras. Great clarity, and the has the range for the 2 cameras on my shop 300 feet away.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Vivotek or Geovision are about the best value and aren't Chinese, but Korean. Dahua and Hikvision and the many relabels are Chinese.
View Quote

Vivotek cams are awesome.

I use Axis at home. Also awesome.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a bunch of 8yr old Hikvision cameras and an NVR that have been running without any attention since I installed them. I'm thinking of upgrading some of the cameras to newer, higher resolution ones but the old 3mp aren't too bad. Even knowing what I do now about Hikvision and some of the other Chinese cameras, I'd probably still buy them again. Put them on their own wired network and forget about it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I already use Ubiquiti for my network gear.  Once I finally get around to running cables to my attic I will be getting the Unifi cameras.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#26]

This is the same setup I am running. A great way to go for DIY if you a bit technical...
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I use the Blink system and I really like it!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My wife is a security nut. She told me to ask the hive what security camera set up would be good for home and my shop? Wired or Wi-Fi? We have the Ring but I think it’s lame. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
View Quote

Security is LAYERED
Good Security requires MULTIPLE Layers

I would initially go with Wireless as most thieves and home invaders aren't going to hack the system, then I would put in a second and different system that is wired on the odd chance that the thief/invader is tech savvy.

Security should have an Outer layer, an inner compound layer, and an internal layer with safe rooms.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Dahua cameras w/ the Sony Starlight sensor wired to an NVR accessible via VPN.

AI features: motion, trip lines, missing objects, etc.

PTZ camera offer tracking which I don't use but do have the camera zoom into a trip wire area when breached.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I installed an eight channel reolink system.  I have 5 hardwired cameras mounted outside and one wireless that I can setup in the house when we go on vacation.  I haven't had any problems.  I think they are 4K  8mp with night vision. I can remotely view them from my phone or computer at work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a hardwired unifi system with dream machine pro. It was a steep learning curve with no tech support but I have it mostly figured out now. I want to expand but cameras are super hard to find now.
View Quote

I would love to switch to a UniFi NVR but their insistence on being a closed system is a dealbreaker.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with the Chinesium cameras. You just have to know how to cut them off from phoning home.

Almost all my cameras are Dahuas. Some of them have been going 24/7 for 5+ years...rain, snow, heat, hurricanes, whatever...they rarely quit.

I have them on their own subnet with no gateway, and a second NIC in my BI PC on the same subnet. The traffic on the IP camera subnet is unroutable, so nothing can phone home. I VPN into my network if I want to view the cameras with the BI app, so no ports have to be opened at the perimeter for web server access.

The added benefit of Blue Iris is direct Deepstack integration. That is some pretty awesome AI, especially with a decent GPU (since you can run multiple instances in parallel). False positives for motion detection are almost unheard of now.
View Quote

I have them firewalled off to.  They do want to chat.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I would love to switch to a UniFi NVR but their insistence on being a closed system is a dealbreaker.
View Quote

As opposed to…?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As opposed to…?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to…?

Supporting onvif cameras.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Supporting onvif cameras.
View Quote

Yeah understood. UniFi is just now getting to h265 in some of their cameras. Ubiquiti likes Ubiquiti
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OP, google and youtube 'Nelly's security" they have two brands of POE wired cameras., Both plug and play with the matching NVR. watch all their videos, they go from basic to advanced. UNI is their better brand and has advanced AI.
Hikvision and others are not NDAA compliant. that is why Nelly's dropped them.
View Quote

Nellys is great but you do realize who the OEM for their cameras are right?  Mostly Hikvision.  

Also, Nellys sells both NDAA and Non-NDAA compliant cameras.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Nelly's used to have their "H" series cameras, they were Hikvision. they no longer carry them. I called and to be honest I do not remember who they said the OEM is, but it was not Hikvision. If you call they are very open on who they use.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Motown_Steve gave me quite a few Hikvisions.  Gonna get a POE switch and keep em off the internet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nelly's used to have their "H" series cameras, they were Hikvision. they no longer carry them. I called and to be honest I do not remember who they said the OEM is, but it was not Hikvision. If you call they are very open on who they use.
View Quote

Lately I see a lot of UNV (Uniview) cameras on Nellys.
Made in the same city in China right along Hikvision and Dahua.
Don't get me wrong Nellys is great I love their garage sale site.

UNV uses the same chips and was found to have the same/similar back door as Dahua and others.

This isn't towards you.
My point is that it doesn't matter what brand of camera you buy. If your not taking the proper steps on your local network to secure and segregate the cams then what's the point.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Is he ok?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

WTF? ?? I hope he survived. WOW
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WTF? ?? I hope he survived. WOW

doubt it, looked like it may have broken his neck. that looked like a CNS hit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lorex Nocturnal series. Wired. There is not a single light in my driveway on:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/485801/Screenshot_20220510-205305_Lorex_Cloud_j-2379507.JPG

Edit: the quality is compressed in live mode for web access, but is stored in high definition on the DVR for playback or on the station monitor.

That confused me for a little while at first.
View Quote

which Lorex system?

I am looking to replace my old Lorex
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Based on arfcoms recommendations I went with a Reolink system.

I was so impressed I have installed 6 systems for all of my friends and family.

Very good camera quality and the app is top notch.

The only real downside to the system is the motion alerts suck. Way too sensitive if you live in the woods.

So basically I use it as a cctv so I can keep an eye on everything when I'm at work (I work from home).

I also use a Nest doorbell camera and a Nest inside camera that I use as a nanny cam that allows me to keep an eye on the kids inside when I'm working. I prefer the nest for inside since I can stream a single camera to a Google home hub (I can also display the doorbell camera from the home hub).
View Quote

which one, all I saw on their website was cameras, do they have a DVR also?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of 8yr old Hikvision cameras and an NVR that have been running without any attention since I installed them. I'm thinking of upgrading some of the cameras to newer, higher resolution ones but the old 3mp aren't too bad. Even knowing what I do now about Hikvision and some of the other Chinese cameras, I'd probably still buy them again. Put them on their own wired network and forget about it.
View Quote
I have multiple Hikvision 3mp POE cameras I installed back in 2014.  They've been flawless.  But I recently bought a 5mp Reolink camera (at 1/4 the price of those Hikvisions back then) and swapped one of them out, and it's far better.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I cannot speak highly enough for Unifi Protect personally.  There is no subscription, the data is recorded locally so no cloud to snoop on your cameras, it is closed circuit but IP based. The prices aren't horrible though stock is really hard to come by right now. B&H Photo Video is a good source if the UI store is out of stock some times too.
View Quote

I also recommend Unifi cameras.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Another vote for Reolink wired. I installed mine this last winter and has been great. I have 4 cams in and around my show pointing towards my house and driveway and also just added one on my front porch. The nvr is in the shop and the wired one on the porch works flawlessly going over my network and wireless bridge.

The only real complaint I have is rain and snow make the alerts for motion go nuts. You would think if it could identify a vehicle or person it would be able to identify precipitation and not send an alert but other than that I like the system.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Cheap and easy is blink. That’s what I use at my house and rentals.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I have the newest version of blink. They are great, very clear, wireless, can yell at kids to get off my lawn, and don't need a subscription everything is stored on a usb hard drive. The only annoying thing is how much they alert my phone when it is windy because of braches or wind chimes. Even if I turn off the motion in that part of the picture. Doors and Door bell have Eufy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the dream pro but no cams ever in stock. I din't buy the dream pro for the protect side but now I have it I might as well throw a cam or two up to back up my nest door bell.  One day I will ditch the nest thing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Old fashion tag

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top