Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:39:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
looks like 55 grn TAP. That would be ideal for exploding zombie heads.

Yep. And accurate. 55 gr V-Max with 23.5 gr of H335 is my match load.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I guess this definitively answers the "what's the best round for zombies" debate...

A word on Norinco M-1A's:  their receivers are some of the finest made,  being forged and closer to mil-spec in most cases than Springfield or Fulton "cast" M-1A receivers.   (The military M-14 Springfield, et al receivers were forged, not cast).   Their barrels and bolts aren't so hot and often need to be swapped out with American parts, then fitted by a competent armorer.  But the receivers on these are excellent.

Thats not entirely correct concerning barrels.  Smith Ent. recently had a chinese barrel tested. They were found to be of equal or better quality than USGI/Springfield Armory barrels.

The bolts of course have always had issues. Because someone will call me a liar, here's a link to an author who writes books about m14's, and its subsequent tests. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_6/351928_Unraveling_the_M14_mysteries___Chinese_barrel.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#3]
DO WANT!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Gotta love seeing a big company have fun with something

Hornady has a rep for having a fun loving attitude. There was a hilarious thread in the reloading forum about them at one time.
It started out a warranty service/claim thread and spun into a comical masterpiece
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I went out looking for some of this online.  I found a company in Canada that sells it.  At the same store they have Norinco M1As for $450.  

Norinco was once allowed to export to the USA but they stopped it in the 90's.  Granted they are very low price, but I have a Norinco .45 that does all I ask of it, I can't imagine the M1A is all that bad.

George Bush Sr. (R) stopped it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]
FIRST POST!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#7]
WANT!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Why doesn't Hornady market this here? Are they crazy?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Do I see ammo in a bag?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I just e-mailed their CS Rep about this stuff and finding out how to get it HERE.
Will advise what they tell me.
(I sort of work for a competitor)
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Uh. "zombie" used to be a euphemism for helpless, but otherwise violent and demanding urban ghetto dwelers that would run amok in the face of any opportunity to spin it as a disaster like our famous "lootie".  So when someone would ask you why you were carrying a .45, the easy answer was "zombies" and not cause anyone to think you had any profiled prejudices except for those in the know.

Essentially it was similar to when we say "damn Amish are at it again"

Somehow the term zombie in relation to firearms and preparedness became a little more than clouded to literally mean zombies.

Ergo, this zombie business is retarded
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I just asked my friend who works for a Hornady distributor in Canada.  He said we should see it in the States some time in January.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh...

Need chrono data, type of bullet and powder, gel tests.......box 'o truth even. Needs testing and tack in Ammo forum to have any cred at all.

We could test it on some liberals there is not much difference.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh...

Need chrono data, type of bullet and powder, gel tests.......box 'o truth even. Needs testing and tack in Ammo forum to have any cred at all.

Low blow. What did zombies ever do to you?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh...

Low blow. What did zombies ever do to you?

Go Hornady!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I just asked my friend who works for a Hornady distributor in Canada.  He said we should see it in the States some time in January.

w00t!!

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I just ordered a few boxes

Better be ready, you never know
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Awesome. I will be getting some when its available.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#23]
i want some as a gimmick to give my uncle, he'd get a kick out of this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Group buy, maybe?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#25]
We need the box of truth on this zombie ammo.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hornady has a rep for having a fun loving attitude. There was a hilarious thread in the reloading forum about them at one time.
It started out a warranty service/claim thread and spun into a comical masterpiece

Brady Bunch will be along shortly to squash any fun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Someone in the reloading forum made up some nice looking "zombie" ammo. Nickle cases, Winchester Ballistic Silvertip projectiles withe tips dyed purple I believe.
Do a search in the reloading forum for it going back some months and you might find it. I'm on my phone and my lunch is almost over, don't have time to look for it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I went out looking for some of this online.  I found a company in Canada that sells it.  At the same store they have Norinco M1As for $450.  

Norinco was once allowed to export to the USA but they stopped it in the 90's.  Granted they are very low price, but I have a Norinco .45 that does all I ask of it, I can't imagine the M1A is all that bad.

Heat Treat on some of the recievers wasn't good but could be fixed, other than that they are a plain old M1A
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Meh...

My guess is it's just V-Max ammo in a different box.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh...

My guess is it's just V-Max ammo in a different box.

thats what it looks like....but shit I'd buy it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank the import ban for the lack of cheap Chinese weapons.

Norinco AKs are some of the best on planet Earth.

Not to mention, the SKS, M14, the JW-103 "Bush Ranger", and whatever else they crank out these days.

Might not be the best, but they sure are affordable. I wish we could do something about this.

The quality of the late imported MAK-90s was unbeatable. Side by side with an Arsenal, I'd take the Norinco. We have both at my work, and the MAK-90 looks and feels much better, plus I can personally attest that they shoot very, very good for an AK. Better than my own Arsenal.

The other guns those red bastards make, I make no claim to have witnessed the quality of. But the AKs they made are amazing.

TR85.

One of the guns I'd love to get back if they ever invent a time machine. I bought a Norinco MAK90 back in 96 and it was a solid rifle. The finish on it was amazing, no flaws on the receiver and for an AK pattern rifle it was pretty accurate. I wasn't a fan of the thumbhole stock and it sat in the safe for a few years so I decided to sell it. Anytime I get a hair up my ass to buy a new AK I can't help but notice that the tier 1 AKs don't even come close to the quality of the Norincos A friend of mine still has his Norinco under folder, he has been offered triple of what he paid for it, he won't sell it and I don't blame em.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need more details on the zombie certification process.

Does Hornady offer some manner of warranty?  As of yet, they have not been very forthcoming.

I'm curious about the yellow-tipped projectiles.  Are they specifically engineered to obtain maximum expansion in partially-decomposed flesh?  For that matter, are they sub-sonic (think suppressor, Hollywood quiet), or especially hot, to promote over-penetration, thereby maximizing the hoard-thinning capabilities per round?  Will various bullet weights be offered?  i.e.- Will there only be 55gr., for use in a 1:7, 11.5", with Eotech, or 62 or 75 gr. projectiles for long range work?  

Since Hornady is finally taking this niche of gun owners seriously, they would be well-served to put some of this engineering to use in developing both 7.62x51mm, and 12ga. rounds.  Anything else would be boutique, but these cover the basics of most essential firearms.  I'm not too concerned about handgun ammo at the moment, as the purpose of these yellow-tip ammo seems to be specifically that of keeping zombies out of anything near handgun range.

There are a lot of unknowns with this new product.  A lot of other ammo, that is already widely available at many brick and mortar retailers in the U.S., will do the job sufficiently.  Hornady needs to demonstrate to me, the consumer, how this exotic round is what I want in my magazines when the zombie apocalypse occurs.  I have no problem paying a little extra if this is definitely the best tool for the job, but I'm not going to throw away money on some BS marketing hype.

Long range, really, for zombies?

Im much much more concerned with reliable fragmentation, in brain matter, at 200 meters or less.

For "zombies" I choose 53gr Hornady V-Max boat tails.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Hornady offer some manner of warranty?  As of yet, they have not been very forthcoming.

I'm curious about the yellow-tipped projectiles.  Are they specifically engineered to obtain maximum expansion in partially-decomposed flesh?  For that matter, are they sub-sonic (think suppressor, Hollywood quiet), or especially hot, to promote over-penetration, thereby maximizing the hoard-thinning capabilities per round?  Will various bullet weights be offered?  i.e.- Will there only be 55gr., for use in a 1:7, 11.5", with Eotech, or 62 or 75 gr. projectiles for long range work?  

Since Hornady is finally taking this niche of gun owners seriously, they would be well-served to put some of this engineering to use in developing both 7.62x51mm, and 12ga. rounds.  Anything else would be boutique, but these cover the basics of most essential firearms.  I'm not too concerned about handgun ammo at the moment, as the purpose of these yellow-tip ammo seems to be specifically that of keeping zombies out of anything near handgun range.

There are a lot of unknowns with this new product.  A lot of other ammo, that is already widely available at many brick and mortar retailers in the U.S., will do the job sufficiently.  Hornady needs to demonstrate to me, the consumer, how this exotic round is what I want in my magazines when the zombie apocalypse occurs.  I have no problem paying a little extra if this is definitely the best tool for the job, but I'm not going to throw away money on some BS marketing hype.

Im much much more concerned with reliable fragmentation, in brain matter, at 200 meters or less.

The long range option would be nice, in ideal circumstances, with a suppressor.  But I'm with you, sub 200m, fragmentation after going through bone mass.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Uh. "zombie" used to be a euphemism for helpless, but otherwise violent and demanding urban ghetto dwelers that would run amok in the face of any opportunity to spin it as a disaster like our famous "lootie".  So when someone would ask you why you were carrying a .45, the easy answer was "zombies" and not cause anyone to think you had any profiled prejudices except for those in the know.

Somehow the term zombie in relation to firearms and preparedness became a little more than clouded to literally mean zombies.

Ergo...you have a broomstick up your ass Mr. NoSenseofHumor.

Introducing race into a Zombie ammo thread...WTF???

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The long range option would be nice, in ideal circumstances, with a suppressor.  But I'm with you, sub 200m, fragmentation after going through bone mass.

Sounds like you guys have some of the same concerns I do.  Best we pool our knowledge before...the day.

I'm all about maximum effectiveness up close if need be, but in every instructional documentary I've ever seen, it's best to take them out at the earliest opportunity, meaning at distance.  As for the need for a suppressor, I'm not certain if zombies have enhanced hearing, which would nullify a suppressor, seemingly no hearing (sight & smell only), which would make a suppressor unnecessary equipment, or if a suppressor would be an advisable tool.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Needs a chainsaw, and then it would be perfect.

9/10

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Love to have a box just to have one.  Those damn Canadian's have everything we can't have.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I love about everything zombie related.

However, this is the stupidest fucking thing I've seen. It puts Hornady in the same league as Elite Ammo, and all the other gimmick companies.

I want to know the caliber, velocity, bullet type, any issues etc. Not that it is "Certified Zombie Ammunition".

I know know how Zhukov must feel all the time when stupid ammo questions come up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you guys have some of the same concerns I do.  Best we pool our knowledge before...the day.

I'm all about maximum effectiveness up close if need be, but in every instructional documentary I've ever seen, it's best to take them out at the earliest opportunity, meaning at distance.  As for the need for a suppressor, I'm not certain if zombies have enhanced hearing, which would nullify a suppressor, seemingly no hearing (sight & smell only), which would make a suppressor unnecessary equipment, or if a suppressor would be an advisable tool.

Hey man, I always thought the zombies were more attracted to sound and light.  So I want a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#40]
DO WANT
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Put me in for 5000 rounds of that stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ergo Your ass, you are talking out of it again....

Zombie (Haitian Creole: zonbi; North Mbundu: nzumbe) is a term used to denote an animated corpse brought back to life by mystical means such as witchcraft.The term is often figuratively applied to describe a hypnotized person bereft of consciousness and self-awareness, yet ambulant and able to respond to surrounding stimuli. Since the late 19th century, zombies have acquired notable popularity, especially in North American and European folklore.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Needs a chainsaw, and then it would be perfect.

9/10

That Krink is pretty badass.

Ok, fine, ALL Krinks are badass.  But you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#44]
What the world needs now... Is more zombie ammo.
It's the only thing there's never quite enough of.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Tag.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, clearly you haven't paid close enough attention to the training materials provided.

For example, Walking Dead. This documentary/survival film lays out from the start that the zombies are attracted to noises.

Please, brush up on the training films... for all our sake.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I love about everything zombie related.

However, this is the stupidest fucking thing I've seen. It puts Hornady in the same league as Elite Ammo, and all the other gimmick companies.

I want to know the caliber, velocity, bullet type, any issues etc. Not that it is "Certified Zombie Ammunition".

I know know how Zhukov must feel all the time when stupid ammo questions come up.

I bet you punch kittens.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supressors have many benefits for the Operator as well.
1) Reduced Recoil
2) Less or No need for Ear Protection
3) Reduced Flash
4) Won't spook available game animals.
5) Won't alert humans you don't want to alert.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'd be very surprised to see that available for sale in the US. I foresee some useful idiot opining that the bright, cartoon-like carton would somehow encourage children to take up arms-just like Joe Camel encouraged kids to smoke

The fact that it is illegal for children to buy ammunition matters not to the useful idiots.

That said, I'd buy some just for the novelty if nothing else I'm very well-stocked with other Hornady products for zombie control, like 75gr 5.56 Zombie TAP.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I am surprised they haven't start putting some pictures of gun shot killed kids on the packages of ammo.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top