Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Do those rifles in the second picture have 16” barrels….
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've often found it's more convienient to move your grip rearward, to right about where the magwell is...

i too move my VFG as close to the magwell as possible
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
where the FUCK did this criticize shit come from.  NOT MY ORIGINAL POST.  there was ZERO negative here.  I thought it humorous - the redundancy of the VFG.  I think I made that very very clear.  JEEEEEEEEBUZ you flame-starters are NUTS!!!!!

Im sick of the stupid  bastards myself. How hard is it to READ? To bad there isn't an ignore button for dumb asses.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  The military uses 14.5" M4 barrels on their M4s.

I am well aware the military uses a 14.5’ barrels. The rifles in the second picture appear to have 16” barrels NOT 14.5”.

It may be the angle but the barrels look longer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am well aware the military uses a 14.5’ barrels. The rifles in the second picture appear to have 16” barrels NOT 14.5”.

Yes I think  angle that the camera is taking the photo of the  SSGs makes the tube look longer
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He's boots on the ground.

Far be it from me to criticise his rifle hold.

+1,000,000

Everyone else needs to STFU.  

Apology accepted, Captain Needa.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#8]
KAC doest require tools to move.  TDVG requires about 3 (strong) hands to move.  I notice plenty of US forces shooting with the toe of the stock on the top of the shoulder, becuase with all their body armor even an M4 stock is too long.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#10]

AR15fan:

...TDVG requires about 3 (strong) hands to move.

AND HOW!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#11]
What's the odds of a magwell grip causing a malf?  How possible is it to pull down on the mag enough to cause a misfeed?

I'd think in combat you'd be gripping that thing pretty damn tightly...

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So where are the funny pics? Works for me.

If it were a pic of the IDF, and I said IDF soldier had a "funny grip" THAT would be anti-semitic.

I think you got the    part right, anyway...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#14]
next person to use the letters c-r-t-i-c-i-z-e in a single sentence will incur the wrath of JoBu, lord of Major LEague.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  The military uses 14.5" M4 barrels on their M4s.

Then why would you assume that they would use a non-standard commercial barrel as a replacement knowing full well its the photo angle?

What are you just stupid or trying to perfect an obnoxious ass routine?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What's the odds of a magwell grip causing a malf?  How possible is it to pull down on the mag enough to cause a misfeed?

According to some people(Pat Rogers, Ken Hackathorn, etc.) who really know how to fight with a M16's and M4's the chances are slim to none...

In fact these very same people teach the use of magwell if a vertical grip is not available.  The magwell grip works very well with the squared off combat stance that's used for CQB.

The idea that using that gripping the magwell or magazine will cause malfunctions is another myth similar to the tumbling 5.56 bullet.   As long as you do not cover the ejection port with any finggers you will be good to go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How many times you see the soldier using the mag well as the forward grip?  I do the same actually, but I love it when there's a forward pistol grip there.  

Use to be a big no-no, but is now taught  at some military schools as an "advanced" technique, right along with using the mag itself as  uni-pod while in the prone, something else that used to be a big no-no.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Actually it makes a lot of sense.
For accurate fire and for comfort, hold it by the magwell.
But if you are rapid fire or full auto, holding it farther forward gives you better control.
I keep a forward grip on my M-4 but use the magwell 99% of the time.
For that last 1%, its worth it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it were a pic of the IDF, and I said IDF soldier had a "funny grip" THAT would be anti-semitic.

YOu KNOW I'm right. You KNOW it.

'Round here, anything that isn't fawningly flatterring of Israel  gets the pavlovian "that's anti semitic" response.

But by all means go ahead and find a US soldiers tactics "hilarious." ONLY someone Kerryesque would TRY to say that is NOT demeaning to the soldier.

It says his tactics are wrong, which makes him an inept soldier.

Yeah, I'm being extreme in my position, but I am TIRED of the sycophants who fawn over Israel, but find MY soldiers "hilarious."

If you (generaically speaking)  like Israel so $^#% much, MOVE THERE.

And good riddance to ya.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey, if it works for them then it is fine with me. If you want to see someone holding a rifle funny just check out those high-power shooters, just try to hold the way they do, I would almost swear it is impossible.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOu KNOW I'm right. You KNOW it.

'Round here, anything that isn't fawningly flatterring of Israel  gets the pavlovian "that's anti semitic" response.

But by all means go ahead and find a US soldiers tactics "hilarious." ONLY someone Kerryesque would TRY to say that is NOT demeaning to the soldier.

It says his tactics are wrong, which makes him an inept soldier.

Yeah, I'm being extreme in my position, but I am TIRED of the sycophants who fawn over Israel, but find MY soldiers "hilarious."

If you (generaically speaking)  like Israel so $^#% much, MOVE THERE.

And good riddance to ya.

Uh.......alrighty then.

What were we talking about?  Oh yeah, SOLDIERS HOLDING THEIR RIFLES.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Uh.......alrighty then.

What were we talking about?  Oh yeah, SOLDIERS HOLDING THEIR RIFLES.  

Sorry, had to vent.

If someone feels they are "hilarious" in their tactics, its their DUTY to enlist, head on over to Iraq and correct the poor souls.

When ya leaving chapped joe???
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
He's boots on the ground.

Far be it from me to criticise his rifle hold.

Amen, oh yeah and +1
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I find that the mag well is too close and I tire easily with that hold. With my KAC VFG mounted to the rear of my DD FF rail, I find this is the best position [b[for me. I also tend to ride up on the dust cover when I hold the mag well. Shooting my other M4 with M4 handguards, I often hold to the delta ring and somewhat against the mag well. I find this to be a very secure and comfortable grip.

The soldier in the pic does whats best for him, and I do what works for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I find that the mag well is too close and I tire easily with that hold.

It can also get incredible hot as your round count goes up.

When I went hog wild full auto with my guard A1, just before we turned them in, I shot 800 rounds in very little time. The barrel glowed bright red, the rounds were cooking off in the time it took me to get from the bolt release to the trigger, and the heat was too much to hold the handguards even with a mil leather glove (A2 guards on the A1 rifle).

I had to use a mag well hold with leather glove, and even that was very hot on my hand. It just was a heck of a lot cooler then using a glove on the handguards.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Lumpy, I did forget to mention the heat issue. When it starts to get warm I move forward to the handguard. I just prefer my KAC VFG though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
for aimed fire , it a very good hold.

yup
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I find that the mag well is too close and I tire easily with that hold.

It can also get incredible hot as your round count goes up.

Lumpy speaks the truth!  If you shoot rapid fire on a regular basis you'll understand why the vertical grip is nice.

If it ain't smoking than you aint shooting...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm just an old Navy guy what do I know, but iffn they was to wish to maybe drop an empty mag out, isn't that where their thumb is and that way they don't have to let go and make an extra move??

I would also suppose that using the grip would help keep the front up especially after hanging all that stuff out there.

All I ever shot for scores and quals were real rifles, M-1s and M-14s.  (taking cover dive dive)
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Proof that how you train is how you fight.
He probably didn't get a forward grip till recently.

+1

+2

+3

It's called 'negative training' and is what happens when joe gets a new bagful of stuff just before going to the sandbox.  He puts all the bling bling on because the chain of command says to, but his 'muscle memory' is going to revert to what he practiced over and over and over when he is under stress.

Only antidote is significant practice using the new technique; in this case using the VFG as intended in order to break the 'old habit' of gripping on the magwell.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So where are the funny pics? Works for me.

And don't you forget it either.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top