Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Well... I suppose you could ask before laying hands on anyone or blowing their head off with your CCW

"Uh, excuse me Officer.... Can I give you a hand there?"
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Darn right I would help out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would yell "POLICE OFFICER, STOP", you know to call for any other cops around and tell the bad guy to stop.  

(barney fife voice on) sniff...sniff...Stop in the Name of the Law!! Sniff... (barney fife voice off)

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but being one myself, I have a little bit more personal connection to it. I nearly always have my cell phone on me, but unless I had someone in the car with me to call 911 with it, I doubt it'd be used.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Damn right -- I'd stop and help:

"Kick 'im in the nuts!
Now  punch his face!  Again!
Choke Hold! Choke Hold!
Kick to the Head; Chuck Norris that Bast*rd! Yeah!
Now get his arms and push his face into the gravel! Sh!t Yeah!"
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Help out and kick some ass....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't envision many situations where I would not help.

+1

TXL
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes, but being one myself, I have a little bit more personal connection to it. I nearly always have my cell phone on me, but unless I had someone in the car with me to call 911 with it, I doubt it'd be used.  

So what do you think, npd? How would LE view something like this? Would they make a blanket statement one way or the other? (ie. No, civilians should always keep their distance, or yes, use good judgment and help if you see a need).

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
well, intervening could have problems - like what if the cop was a bad cop and was trying to kill the motorist?  who would you rescue, how would you know, and how would you go about it?

At least we made it to page two before the stupid posts started.

I would jump in without hesitation...announcing my intentions to the officer and showing my shield stating "Off duty _______ P.D. I'm here to help."

I would be grateful to any citizen who helped me in a similar situation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]
i would help in any way i could.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"Kick 'im in the nuts!
Choke Hold! Choke Hold!

Does acting as the designated cheerleader really help?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:10:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Hell yes.

Frequent daydream of mine. My little bro says some day I'll waste an entire family asking directions to Disneyland in my crazed hope of becoming a cop-saving hero.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:05:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#15]
If you do stop to help, let me suggest  that you YELL as you approach something like "OFFICER, I AM HERE TO HELP, WHAT CAN I DO" ETC.

This will dispel any fear he/she may have that you are the maggot's friend.

Something to think about....

GR
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
1) Stop the car
2) Call it in to 911
3) Get out and ask the LEO if he wants my help
4) Assuming he does, commence with the monkeystomping

You, sir, are a racist.

And possibly a specist too.

Report to tolerance camp immediately.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Call me naive, but I have helped dozens of folks and only had one scary situation that I was (barely) able to get out of.

That's it?!!!?

Come on BeeKeeper, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear that story.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#18]
If it were local police or a sheriff....YES..

a state trooper....good fricking luck....JBT they are

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd help.  No hesitation.  Course, I be de popo, too.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what do you think, npd? How would LE view something like this? Would they make a blanket statement one way or the other? (ie. No, civilians should always keep their distance, or yes, use good judgment and help if you see a need).

Announce your intentions to the officer before helping.  I promise you the officer will appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Kick 'im in the nuts!
Choke Hold! Choke Hold!

Does acting as the designated cheerleader really help?

Heh.

Morale is very important in police work, so I'd have to say "Yes." You want to stay clear so you don't get hit by either party in the flailing around, but you should probably also say "You're doing a fine job, officer," to boost his self-esteem. And then maybe "They don't pay you guys nearly enough for what you do," to demonstrate solidarity. Then ask "Hey, do you know Frank Cromarty? He used to be a highway patrolman in Oklahoma. He went to school with my brother," so he knows you're an insider. Then, since you're talking to him anyway, ask "Is it true that if you ask somebody 'Are you affiliated with any local, state or federal law enforcement agency?' and he is, he has to admit it even if he's working undercover?" Policemen like it when you show interest in their work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top