Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]

The area of Michigan where I live has been in a downward trend for decades. We've had steady population decline of about 2 to 5% per year. In the nearby city the population has decreased so much so that they have been able to close a few schools. Housing values have declined and still far below where they were in 2005.

The postive is that recently my estimated value of my home did go up slightly after going down last year. Unemployment has gone from its high of around 15% to 10.6%, but unfortunately I believe the actual unemployment percentage of the population to be much higher at around 20% with very few jobs available.

Luckily my individual rural neighborhood remains largely retired people and blue collar middle class families. Only one home within three miles of me is for sale (a short sale). There are no vacant homes and the quality of upkeep of the homes is still good to excellent.

We purchased our home far enough from the nearest large city to take into account "white flight" becoming progressive. I've already seen some suburbs start to have increased crime and luckly we moved beyond those with a good buffer of space between us and the city and suburbs while still being within 30 minutes drive of work. There were large sections of city that were very solidly middle class, but with the closure of a major plant in the area they are not increasingly lower class or just vacant homes.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Moved to SW MO about 7 years ago from Chicago.  Was a pleasant change of scenery in this small farming town...now there's graffiti in various areas, a crime rate that won't stop climbing, various shit-hole businesses and restaurants popping up all over town, even a handful of .gov busts on illegal immigrants working at the aforementioned businesses/restaurants.  So much for "moving to get away from that shit."

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't it Garland that the kid in Zombieland was taking about?

"it might look like zombies destroyed it, but that’s just Garland" or something similar?

"I'm in Garland, Texas.  It may look like zombies destroyed it but that's actually just Garland."

I
live in a suburb of Chicago that is just...meh.  Very few grocery
stores, only a couple of banks, no really big chain restaurants save for
fast food.  I live on a street with a church on the right of me, and on
the left is what I think is some sort of rental/boarding house.  Then
we have the section 8 apartments where last year there was a drug
dealing, cross dressing sex offended that got busted.

Not nice
compared to the suburb to the northwest and to the west, nicer compared
to the suburb to the northeast and southeast.  The suburb on the
northeast has housing projects where suburbanites come to get their weed
and their crack, and the suburb to the southeast is just...poor.

Born and raised in Elgin, then spent about 8 years in Bartlett before moving to where I'm at now.  Elgin was a shithole as far back as I can remember, can only imagine how bad it is now.  It was rough being a white kid in that city, you'd get jumped on the way home from school just for the hell of it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I am in northern VA near DC. Growing growing growing. Building building building. Lots of Jobs. Property values going up. Slums torn down and luxury condos go up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Urban Creep.

Yay for section 8!!

True.......

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am in northern VA near DC. Growing growing growing. Building building building. Lots of Jobs. Property values going up. Slums torn down and luxury condos go up.

DC was the only area of the country last year where housing prices went up. Guess the era of big goverment is still going strong.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top