Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I am too anal about things to do something like this. I check and recheck all my luggage...and myself. The last thing I need is to get held up on a flight for something stupid.
If it was me they would have had me in the back room doing a full cavity search if I had two .22 rounds in my bag..
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive carried my knife a few times
View Quote

Took a Victornox on Lufthansa plane to UK from GE.
The Polizei that patted me down looked at the knife, my orders, the rest of the platoon, then waved me on the plane with a why am I even bothering with these guys look.
It was 1987 IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope

Wrong type of place to be carrying something you shouldn't have IMHO
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
had one of those little SOG key knives on a key chain that some vendor threw in for free.  I rarely ever use it, so I totally forgot about it.  Discovered after i went through Newark, then London, then into Spain.  Took it off the keychain when I discovered it in Spain and threw it into my checked luggage.  

But they did confiscate 50 mL of children's Tylenol that was in a 200 mL bottle.  Was told nothing over 150 mL is allowed to be carried on.  But the bottle is a quarter full mam'...never mind.  Just throw it away....we don't need to talk about math today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
A full size tube of toothpaste on numerous occasions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're a monster. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You're a monster. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>
You're a monster. 

I don't put it in a clear plastic 1 quart bag either.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I flew from Reno to Kodiak two years ago checking my rifle and carrying a Camelback backpack.
On the way back from the island the TSA lady asked if I had any ammunition in my pack, I said no, not that I know of.
Got pulled to the side where the nice lady ransacked my pack finding probably 30 rounds of .22lr.
I did not take a .22 on that trip.  

She was not amused, but the guy with her thought it was pretty funny.
They never caught it on the way out of Reno.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't actually get on a plane but back when you could go through security to meet someone at a gate. When I was about 12  went with a buddy and his dad to meet someone at MSP. As we got in line for the metal detector I suddenly went into tunnel vision panic. I'd recently spotted a switchblade my grandma was throwing out after finding it in an uncles drawer. I quietly pocketed it and sometimes carried it as it was such an exotic thing. Had it in my pocket that day. Said prayers to myself ...and passed right on through without setting anything off.
View Quote

Had the same thing happen a few months ago at a Brantley Gilbert concert. After the cab ride to the show I realized I had my HK switchblade clipped on my pocket. While in line, I slipped it completely into my pocket and put my keys and phone in the same pocket so it wouldnt be obvious during the pat down.... dude grabbed it, squeezed it, looked at me and told me I was good to go... He fuckin knew but didnt wanna go through with confiscating a pocket knife is my guess. Of course women don't get patted down... shoulda just tossed it in my wife's pocket to be on the safe side...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My 77 year old mom is always forgetting about the tiny Swiss Army penknife copy that her doctor gives her, and the TSA always confiscates it. They leave her carbon-fiber knitting needles alone, however, and it makes good sense to sit by her if terrorists are onboard. She can't wield them with much strength, but a big, strong man could probably pierce a skull with them, given a healthy dose of adrenaline.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Flew with a bag of weed in my pocket when I was a college hippie. Back when you put your keys and change etc in the little dish and shoved it past the metal detector (pre 9/11 days). Another time I flew with a little swiss army knife.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Got an 8oz can of shaving lotion OUT, but not BACK.

Very frequently get a small, <3" pocket knife through.  I started buying them in multipack but TSA catch rate is like 25% or less.

Once got a Perpperblaster through.

They didn't have an issue with my audio amp I was building back in college that had a couple 10000uF caps in it and a power cord but they were adamant that my wire strippers were a danger.  It was also that trip I was reminded I have a latex sensitivity (TSA searching through my bag) and I get itchy from contact.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Back in the good ole days, it wasn't a problem to tape a couple pounds of coke to your chest and jump on a plane.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
more importantly...would I ADMIT to it in a public internet forum if I ever did?
View Quote

^That.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]
1989, made it from JFK, NY to Berlin with an 8x57 FMJ round in my jacket chest pocket.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Pre-9/11, more than once.  

On a side note, does anyone remember the old CIA Letter-Openers?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife boarded a flight from Miami after a cruise with a full can of aerosol sunscreen...........and they didn't find it. We didn't know it till the plane had left the ground, so we didn't say anything
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I used to have a small multitool/knife that attached to your key ring and looked kind of like a key.   I went on a lot of flights w/ that thing. 

It was one of these
Swiss Tool @ Brownells
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iz5v17uo2g00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fuserdocs%2Fproducts%2Fp_100016712_2.jpg
View Quote

I have that exact same key / tool

Has made it onto every flight I have been on for the past 10yrs or so I have had it
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Back in the good ole days, it wasn't a problem to tape a couple pounds of coke to your chest and jump on a plane.
View Quote

Yeah and now you get pulled out of line by a big fat black chick because of a half-full water bottle.

"SIR WOULD YOU BE PLEASE STEPPIN' AWAY FROM DAH BAG SO WE CANS SEARCH IT".
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I carried a loaded 9mm EMP magazine in my carry-on for I don't know how flights. It was picked up checking-in in ATL on a return flight.

I was delayed a little bit, lost the mag and ammo, and my TSA pre-check. TSA also sent me a very stern letter in the mail.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Check out this eGay seller

He buys all the shit that TSA steals / confiscates and sells it on eGay

I have never bought anything ... but sometimes look and there are always a ton of cool shit he is selling ( mostly knives - multi tools etc )

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=iz5zxcwona00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fbouldercitynv%2Fm.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard from people it wasn't, but then also knew that my step-uncle got caught in the 1980's trying the very same (or in his luggage).  

He did time in the slammer, and we were given his high-breed Rottweiler puppy.  That dog was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got an 8oz can of shaving lotion OUT, but not BACK.

Very frequently get a small, <3" pocket knife through.  I started buying them in multipack but TSA catch rate is like 25% or less.

Once got a Perpperblaster through.

They didn't have an issue with my audio amp I was building back in college that had a couple 10000uF caps in it and a power cord but they were adamant that my wire strippers were a danger.  It was also that trip I was reminded I have a latex sensitivity (TSA searching through my bag) and I get itchy from contact.
View Quote
That seems to be born out by the poll.  Seems like a really poor investment in time and money based on the results.  If you can smuggle 75% of the edged weapons and ammo you try onto planes without issue, what's the point.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I had my edc knife clipped onto my pocket like I normally carry it. I went through security as normal. I hadn't even noticed it until the clip caught on my seat.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I was a kid and brought a big package of firecrackers home probably 3 or 400 they made it home.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Who hasn't? And...

The investigators who were able to smuggle mock explosives and guns through TSA nearly 96 percent of the time were auditors who did not have specialized training, John Roth, the Inspector General of the Department of Homeland Security, testified before the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee Tuesday.

“I will say that the testers we used are auditors—these are members of the OIG workforce, they don’t have any specialized background or training in this kind of work,” Roth said when questioned by Chairman Ron Johnson (R-WI) about the level of sophistication of the investigators testing the TSA systems.

LINK
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
How about a simple no?  I did fly with tools (chisels, gouges, compass, saw, hammer, files) in a tool bag and no one thought a thing (this was post-911 and pre Touch Some Arse restriction against sharp pointy things).  Weight restriction made it difficult for me to take classes.  You can easily try to travel with a ton of tools, but you will pay (both financially and physically).
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

^That.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
more importantly...would I ADMIT to it in a public internet forum if I ever did?

^That.

These guys...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Knives and scissors used to be legal.  Carried them all the time.  

Then there is the shot shells, live rounds, and deuterium gas...........never a peep. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes, I forgot to take a large Swiss Army knife out of my carry-on backpack and place it in my checked luggage a few years ago.  I found it after my flight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes. My ex-wife on the flight to Vegas to get married.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah right when I got out of my basic training and AIT I rewarded myself with a trip to Hawaii as soon as I could. I used a bag that I hadn't touched in a long time and I didn't check all the little side pockets, little did I know the last time I had used it was a range trip and I ended up bringing a bunch of 22. ammo with me IN MY CARRY ON. I dumped it in Hawaii I didn't want to even try to bring it back through.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I used to have a small multitool/knife that attached to your key ring and looked kind of like a key.   I went on a lot of flights w/ that thing. 

It was one of these
Swiss Tool @ Brownells
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iz5v17uo2g00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fuserdocs%2Fproducts%2Fp_100016712_2.jpg
View Quote

Have flown dozens of times with one of these on my key chain.  Have also  been digging around in my bag after arriving at my destination and found live ammo more that a couple times.   Mostly .45 and .40.  Found a 12ga shell once.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Found I had a 5.56 round in my 3-day pack from Houston to Kodiak.  I put it in my check-in on the way back, no sense in wasting ammo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Fire.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, knives and scissors several times usually not caught for 3-4 trips. Also once a small container of gasoline I forgot was in there
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#37]
does a carbon fiber knife count?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#38]
When I was around 5 I stuck a toy gun in my carry on for a trip to St. Thomas. Security wasn't happy, neither were my parents. Amazingly they sent it home for us though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes, knives and scissors several times usually not caught for 3-4 trips. Also once a small container of gasoline I forgot was in there
View Quote
Wife carried knitting needles through one time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife unintentionally brought my Kershaw back from London in her purse through Heathrow; regular screening AND a spot-check screening missed it.

And this came home with me from Phoenix...  I guess the guy didn't recognize it as a gun part.

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Almost. They confiscated and threw away my toothpaste.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#44]
The wife and I ate at a restaurant at Heathrow one trip. We ordered food but realized that our flight was boarding shortly. We had them pack it up and asked them for utensils.

They put everything in white to-go bags and we went on our way. Ran the food through security with no problem. When we got on the plane and started eating our food, we realized they have given us metal utensils and a steak knife.

I showed the knife to my wife and she looked on in amazement. We couldn't believe what had happened. This was not long after the UK terror attacks that blew up the bus.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a jack-knife in my travel kit for 20+ years.  Sort of forgot it was there.  TSA never found it but one day I was going through the kit and noticed it in there.  
They did take away my fingernail kit scissors about a year ago though.  These things were tiny but a guess they though Macgyver could somehow take town a plane with them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#46]
My ex wife went through security at Harrisburg International with her pistol in her purse, TWICE. This was pre 9-11 though.  She wasn't getting on the plane, but still went through security with it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had a jack-knife in my travel kit for 20+ years.  Sort of forgot it was there.  TSA never found it but one day I was going through the kit and noticed it in there.  
They did take away my fingernail kit scissors about a year ago though.  These things were tiny but a guess they though Macgyver could somehow take town a plane with them.
View Quote

I used to carry a folding Buck 110 knife in a sheath on my belt on airplanes and pretty much everywhere else.  The rules on that changed suddenly well before 9/11.  I think the year was about 1987.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Used to use a backpack as a range bag. Had a couple 9mm rounds in a side pocket that must have fallen out of a mag when I cleaned the bag out. They found them in the scanner and I got pulled aside by airport PD and they asked me some questions and took the bullets as well as some pictures of them on a ruler and I was on my way...I always wonder if I'm like a flagged traveler when I fly, not real sure how that all works. Oh well it was a mistake and I can't stand flying anyways. I like the drives to most places.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It was one of these
Swiss Tool @ Brownells
View Quote

I carry this exact same Swiss Key on my key chain and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#50]
I got a 9" carriage bolt through (both ways, STL to TPA) about a year ago; it had fallen to the bottom of my carry-on backpack and I forgot it was there.

My favorite, though, was the massive bag of Furby parts. I was about 10, and visiting cousins in NJ. They had a broken Furby that I decided to disassemble. Somehow, I got it into my head that I should bring the damned thing back, and stuffed it all into a ziploc bag. The effect was a gallon ziploc bag completely full of wires, batteries, circuitry, and miscellaneous crap that, looking back on it, looked like an honest-to-God IED.

It made it through.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top