- ~12 pairs of jack stands

- engine hoist

- drill press

- hydraulic press

- tig welder

- angle grinder

- volt meter

- calipers

- and a variety of other small handtools.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing screams "quality" like chinese manufacturing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

BTW, what kind of MIT engineer uses hand tools to generate his income?  

If that was aimed at me, not everyone works for a large, single employer that has a manufacturer's repair contract & 'solves' their hardware issues via FedExing broke shit back to Dell or whoever...

In the course of setting up and supporting computer & network equipment, you occasionally do have to make/run cables, open up PCs, remove/replace hardware, etc...

Which does require some basic tools...

Now...

Should I spend 'Sears' prices on wire cutters, crimpers, screwdrivers, and other small hand tools that I am more likely to lose than break?

Or go to Harbor Freight???

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought a brad nailer from China Freight for $24.99 and planned on using it once and throwing it away afterwards.  I forget how many years I've had it now...and I use it a hell of a lot more than I ever thought I would.

Yep, I am leary of anything they sell electric tool wise, but they are ok for filling out holes in the tool collection that get little use.  

I bough the el cheapo Chicago Electric(?) 1/2" hammer drill 4 years ago. I had ordered all the hurricane shutters for the parents place and needed to drill a shitload of holes in the block. I think it was 19.99. The plan was to use it and throw it away. I drilled who knows how many holes. 4 Years later it is still going strong. I also have a bunch of their air die grinders. I can afford to buy 10-15 of the cheapos vs one Snapon for work.

Some things I'll buy,others I avoid...

Chris

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If that was aimed at me, not everyone works for a large, single employer that has a manufacturer's repair contract & 'solves' their hardware issues via FedExing broke shit back to Dell or whoever...

In the course of setting up and supporting computer & network equipment, you occasionally do have to make/run cables, open up PCs, remove/replace hardware, etc...

Now...

Should I spend 'Sears' prices on wire cutters, crimpers, screwdrivers, and other small hand tools that I am more likely to lose than break?

Why in the world would you think it was aimed at you? It was aimed at the person I quoted, Triptech.

BTW, I have tons of HF stuff, I love the place. It's so cheap I buy tools I don't even need. Half of my shelf is full of their stuff that I bought simply for just in case situations. The stuff I have used works great.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
By now, pretty much everything I have except my cordless tools (Ryobi) and compressor (Sears) is HF...

Never had a problem with tools - some of their 'gadgets' break too damn easily though...

As for 'soft' punches...

Heat them with a torch & dunk in motor oil...

Try a set of Starrett punches....you will pay for them..but they are nice...and they will last you the rest of your life
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Pirate 4x4 has a huge thread on what HF tools are good buys as well as various threads on modifying HF tools to perform better.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The perfect store for shit you dont use often.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Their tools work just fine.  Why pay more for a tool or machine that might get used twice during the rest of my lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First, I want to give credit to a fellow ARFCOMer for pushing me to go check the place out.  Thanks Luis.

Now I realize that many people consider Harbor Freight to sell 'disposable' tools, which is one of the main reasons I've always avoided them.  But today, I decided to stop in for something I thought would be pretty hard to screw up - Clamps and JB Weld. (I'm glueing a microwave handle that snapped off back on)

After roaming the aisles for a few minutes, I picked up a few other things I wasn't expecting:
JB Weld ($5) - What I originally came for
Digital Multimeter/tester ($4) - I've always wanted one of these $4 units from HF, but I've never wanted to spend the $10 to ship it.
Bag of shop rags ($4)
2 Socket Wrench strips ($1 each) - I actually needed these b/c my socket heads are all sitting in a little parts bin
2 x 4" clamps ($1 each) - What I originally came for
2 x 12" clamps ($3 each) - For $3 each I figured why not
Magnetic Wrist Band ($2) - I have no idea why I bought this. It just seemed like a cool idea.

I think I did alright for under $25.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=928999

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Harbor freight is great for simple hand tools, and power tools that you just need for a project or two.

I have a $19 power drill I've had for 4 years.
a $25 belt sander I've had for 3
Screwdrivers, cresent wrenches, drill bits.. etc..

I don't think i'd ever buy any of their air compressors or welding setups, but for hand tools they cannot be beaten
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
As an engineer, mechanic and all around collector of tools, I REFUSE to step foot in that chicom fail factory.

Every HF tool I have ever seen on a jobsite ended up causing damage and more work.

I refuse to let my crew buy shit from that place.

All your cars are BMW's? - Actually, Mercedes Benzes, thanks.
All your food is caviar and top sirloin? - Dont like Caviar, but I do Filet Mingion every night
All your kids go to MIT or Harvard? - Yup, as did I
Everything in your house is gold-plated top-of-the-line? - Gold is for pussies. All my shit is platinum plated.

Must be wonderful to be you. Trust me, IT IS!!!! Makes me wonder why you would spend any time in GD at all. To look down upon all you poor people.

Did you miss the part where most folks recognize HF is for odds and ends, or seldom used tools? Did you miss the part where 95% of it is shit made in china?

I LIVE by my tools, they are what makes my income happen.

Without them, I just know alot of shit, but cannot do any of it.

When you buy shitty tools and they break on you over and over, you spend 10x more in gas and time replacing the 'bargain' tool than if you just bought the premium one to begin with.

Unlike your Harbor Freight JUNK, my tools have VALUE that does not depreciate, they have lifetime warranties (my grandchildren will be using my tools), and I consider them an INVESTMENT.

You probably have Harbor Freight tools that you use to work on your Lorcin and Jennings "firearms".

Good luck with that, tool.

Oh yeah, I 'm so impressed I may cry
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Oxy-Acetelene torch kits are pretty good and quite a bit cheaper than the exactly the same item but with a brand name on it version
I don't trust any of the "Precision" stuff they offer, I'll stick with Starrett thank you.

The oil lube air compressors are very good, the dry compressors they sell suck, ask me how I know!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As an engineer, mechanic and all around collector of tools, I REFUSE to step foot in that chicom fail factory.

Every HF tool I have ever seen on a jobsite ended up causing damage and more work.

I refuse to let my crew buy shit from that place.

All your cars are BMW's? - Actually, Mercedes Benzes, thanks.

All your food is caviar and top sirloin? - Dont like Caviar, but I do Filet Mingion every night

All your kids go to MIT or Harvard? - Yup, as did I

Everything in your house is gold-plated top-of-the-line? - Gold is for pussies. All my shit is platinum plated.

Must be wonderful to be you. Trust me, IT IS!!!! Makes me wonder why you would spend any time in GD at all. To look down upon all you poor people.

Did you miss the part where most folks recognize HF is for odds and ends, or seldom used tools? Did you miss the part where 95% of it is shit made in china?

I LIVE by my tools, they are what makes my income happen.

Without them, I just know alot of shit, but cannot do any of it.

When you buy shitty tools and they break on you over and over, you spend 10x more in gas and time replacing the 'bargain' tool than if you just bought the premium one to begin with.

Unlike your Harbor Freight JUNK, my tools have VALUE that does not depreciate, they have lifetime warranties (my grandchildren will be using my tools), and I consider them an INVESTMENT.

You probably have Harbor Freight tools that you use to work on your Lorcin and Jennings "firearms".

Good luck with that, tool.

Oh yeah, I 'm so impressed I may cry

it was an obvious joke... you should check your sarcasm meter.

I can promise you that im the poorest, brokest motherfucker on this board. I went to a community college that I didnt get a degree from, and I ate a fucking package of saltine crackers for dinner tonight.

Regardless, I am very picky about my tools... I had a Harbor-Freight quality tool fail on me and almost cost me dearly (as in my life).

If you use your tools once or twice a year/month... they may be just fine.

When you use them 16 hours a day in applications that may be life-critical, you tend to be pretty serious about your tools.

It would be like a HSLD operator putting Tapco shit on his rifle and loading up wolf ammo while in-country. Just because you can, doesnt mean you should.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Sigh.

Tips for shopping at HF:

-Never ever buy anything unless it is on sale or you have a coupon. Ever.

-Never buy any "house brand" cordless tool.  Ever.

-Be vary wary of any "name brand" items with batteries (They do have Makita and the like.  How old?  Refurb?)

-Never buy halogen lamps

-Expect any power tool less than $40 to fail eventually (some sooner than later)

-Expect any power tool above $40 to maybe be good, or maybe be a piece of shit.  

-Expect any air tool to possibly require tuning to work, possibly suck, or possibly be perfect forever.   If it sucks, tune it or return it.  (I have 18ga air nailers with tens of thousands of brads through.  I did need to tune them a little.  I have air wrenches that keep going, and going, and going)

-NEVER NEVER buy any big ticket item without fully researching it.  Take ALL advice with a grain of salt.  Learn who to trust...  There are forums for these things and it is usually obvious who the blowhards are and who actually has experience with the tool.  

-The air fittings are usually fine.  For a while.  I can't tell you how long "a while" is but I converted my entire shop to CEJN fittings and dumped my old HF shit.  The CEJN stuff will still be working when I am dead.  Maybe your HF stuff will still work when you are dead.  It depends on how much you use it and how lucky you are.  If you use an air tool once a month, fuck it just get the HF fittings.

-The U.S. General Air compressors are made in the USA, have Emerson motors, are ASME certified, and are the same shit sold at every other retail establishment in the country, just with a different label.  Don't listen to the lies.  Look at the damn label on the motor and the tank –– stop telling me it is Chinese shit the fucking label is RIGHT THERE.  Most of the other stuff in the store IS from China but please shut the fuck up about the U.S. General Air compressors until you learn to read.  Reading is a life skill.  

-The quality of the hand tools are usually obvious.  Pick it up.  Look at it.  If it looks and feels like shit, it certainly is.  If it looks solid, it probably is.  Either way you can return or trade it.

-Shy away from all all electric pressure washers, electric yard tools, and most of the generators.

-Also be careful about anything with a gas motor.  

-Avoid the cheap low duty cycle welders like the plague.  If you know how to weld, you already know this.  If you don't know how to weld, you cannot learn on these machines.  You will fail.  

-If it is hydraulically operated (jack, press, whatever),  test it either in store or the very moment you get home.  You might have a dud.  

-You cannot run the sandblasters 12 hours a day.  Sorry, if you have a production shop, spend the money get the real thing.  If you are a hobbyist, live with it, take your time, get a real compressor and quit your bitching.

-Never buy sandpaper of any kind unless it is a brand name
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Is Northern Tool of somewhat better quality than HF? (e.g. Target compared to WalMart?)   Or better?  I get their catalogs all the time too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#21]
A lot of tools by Craftsman, Sears, etc. are made in China.  There was a lawsuit a while back because they were marking the tools as "Made in USA" when in fact they were made in various other countries.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now...

No, go to Northern Tool.  They have the cheap 6-in-one screwdrivers with nicer handles than the ones at Harbor Freight.  I've got a desk full of Klein drivers and a cheap NT 6-in-one in my laptop bag, and the cheap one does a lot more work. I'm not sure why these screwdrivers don't suck like every other NT or HF driver either.. It's weird.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#23]

I told the cashier at Harbor Freight that I only buy items that are on sale.  I know it's a good price if it has a coupon or limit per customer.

I know they can't cover all the costs with these 'loss leaders' so eventually –– If I buy enough tools on sale ––

I'll bankrupt the Communist Chinese Government!    
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#24]
HF isn't bad for those tools you'll only ever need once (because they'll only last once!)

Their hand tools now have a lifetime warranty on them.... yes, even the punches.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:50:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Is Northern Tool of somewhat better quality than HF? (e.g. Target compared to WalMart?)   Or better?  I get their catalogs all the time too.

I have both HF and Northern Tool stores nearby.

Northern Tool is about the same as HF, maybe a slight step above.  Their prices are a little higher too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top