BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
No, because he FORCED her to do that.  The helicopter pilot had options. He could have flown higher or aborted the pursuit. He chose poorly.

Stop covering for criminal scum Combat_Jack. The pilot could've done this, he could've done that. Irrelevant because the helicopter pilot WAS NOT the criminal, the driver stealing the car WAS! Charge the driver for the death, duh!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You show mw an example of that and I'll kiss your ass.

I have no idea whether this has happened... I just made it up, but it illustrates how these "good idea" laws can be open to abuse. Sure, I'm sure YOU would NEVER go after someone you consider to be a "bad guy" with all the weapons at your disposal, to get them no matter what, to get them off the streets, for the children. Its all those other LEOs and DAs that I worry about. Just ask Martha Stewart: "telling lies to federal investigators - 6 months". Wow, perfectly justifiable and not in any way a show trial motivated by political grandstanding. I felt much safer with her off the streets. My turn to .

Dude, Felony Murder is a STATE LAW and it is a good one.

Furthermore, if you can't imagine more real life examples where it is good than off the wall hypotheticals from your imagination where it may sound bad then there is nothing I can say to get you right on the issue.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, because he FORCED her to do that.  The helicopter pilot had options. He could have flown higher or aborted the pursuit. He chose poorly.

Stop covering for criminal scum Combat_Jack. The pilot could've done this, he could've done that. Irrelevant because the helicopter pilot WAS NOT the criminal, the driver stealing the car WAS! Charge the driver for the death, duh!

You sound like you have lost the ability to use logic and are speaking emotionally.

So, guy is speeding. Cop sees him, pulls out in front of a schoolbus, and some kids die. Is it the speeders fault?

There are two answers here: one indicates that you live in the real world, one would indicate that you live in a fantasy land. Which is it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You sound like you have lost the ability to use logic and are speaking emotionally. So, guy is speeding. Cop sees him, pulls out in front of a schoolbus, and some kids die. Is it the speeders fault? There are two answers here: one indicates that you live in the real world, one would indicate that you live in a fantasy land. Which is it?

You're taking a weird line of argument. We're going from home invasion, to carjacking and evading, now to speeding. You're making the offense less and less "dangerous" in order to protect your feeble argument. I caught ya, huh? I know you're soft on criminals, just admit it. Once again let me point out that the policeman is NOT A CRIMINAL, but the speeder who caused the chase IS A CRIMINAL, duh... So yes, it's the speeder's fault.

You don't live in the "real world" Combat_Jack. The "real world" has real consequences such as getting charged with murder when your criminal act results in the death(s) of others.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I am following a logical train of thought, whereby if the law allows a person to be charged with any deaths that occur due to his unlawful actions, that law could be applied to any unlawful action that results even by the most roundabout of means, in a death.

It could be argued that the speeder caused the deaths. But since obviously none of that would have occurred, in our hypothetical, if the officer had not made a mistake, is the speeder still at fault? Besides, how could he have known that by speeding he would be involved in such an accident? Why would the man who was running have any reason to believe that a helicopter pilot would be an idiot and fly low enought to strike power lines?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
No prob with that at all.

I hope they pin a picture of his brother on his cell wall. Shouldn't have been a terd.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You don't live in the "real world" Combat_Jack. The "real world" has real consequences such as getting charged with murder when your criminal act results in the death(s) of others.

I do not doubt, deny or argue against the practice or moral authority of charging people with crimes for the direct result of their actions. However, you and I have a different understanding of causal relationships. You perceive an action, based on judgement and training, by a second party, to be caused by the first party, even if such action was based on faulty judgement or training, and was in fact negligence on the part of the second party. The pilot being an example of this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So, guy is speeding. Cop sees him, pulls out in front of a schoolbus, and some kids die. Is it the speeders fault?

Ok, you're argument is flawed in that speeding is not a felony.  Therefore, he can't be charged with felony murder.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, you're argument is flawed in that speeding is not a felony.  Therefore, he can't be charged with felony murder.

What about speeding REALLY fast, or DUI in one of the states where thats a felony? Or the dumbfuck lives in LA and his buddy is riding in the back with a SAW in his hands. Whatever.

The point is, when a persons response to anothers action results in the death of someone, unless that action was a reasonable and predictable result of the first parties action, the first party should not be held accountable. Theoretically the law requires this to be the case, but as in the story of the man charged with the helicopter pilots death, this does not seem to always be the case.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I do not doubt, deny or argue against the practice or moral authority of charging people with crimes for the direct result of their actions. However, you and I have a different understanding of causal relationships. You perceive an action, based on judgement and training, by a second party, to be caused by the first party, even if such action was based on faulty judgement or training, and was in fact negligence on the part of the second party. The pilot being an example of this.

You would have a point of a criminal act was not involved in the crash. You would have a point if the pilot crashed all by his lonesome. You would have a point if the pilot crashed while filming a movie (non-criminal). Combat_Jack, don't be soft on crime, hit 'em with everything. Crime does not occur in a vacuum.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What about speeding REALLY fast, or DUI in one of the states where thats a felony? Or the dumbfuck lives in LA and his buddy is riding in the back with a SAW in his hands. Whatever.

Yeah, scrape the bottom of the barrel for support, use more what-if's and could've been's!

The point is, when a persons response to anothers action results in the death of someone, unless that action was a reasonable and predictable result of the first parties action, the first party should not be held accountable. Theoretically the law requires this to be the case, but as in the story of the man charged with the helicopter pilots death, this does not seem to always be the case.
Theoritically? But in the "real world" theory doesn't always work out. Kinda like communism.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i think there was a case where a guy was in a high speed pursuit and the helicopter pilot following him crashed into power lines, felony murder right there

Alright! Throw the book at 'em!

Fry him in the chair!

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
[nelson]HA HA[/nelson]

ROFLMAO!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
GOOD CALL!

-Storm
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Although I am all for charging the brother, its not the brothers fault that his brother was killed. That was his brothers fault.

I agree totally.

I also believe that home invasion warrants a death sentence.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds good to me. I'm having a REALLY hard time working up any sympathy for this guy. Facing a murder rap? My heart bleeds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although I am all for charging the brother, its not the brothers fault that his brother was killed. That was his brothers fault.

I agree totally.

I also believe that home invasion warrants a death sentence.

Amen to that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top