Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never heard anything about this. Care to educate me?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember the Palladin Press books? One of their books probably singlehandedly saved the existence of the AR-7.
Before the days of the interwebs and smart phones,there were books and catalogs.

Paladin Press had all sorts of books for sale-Anarchist Cookbook,homemade suppressors,full auto conversion manuals,etc...

Used to see them for sale at gun shows.

Don't think they are around anymore.I have a bunch of old Shotgun News and other type mags from the 80' and 90's-I'll see if I saved a copy.

@Bassgasm
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yo @Bassgasm - I think they're talking about The AR-7 Exotic Weapon System.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Don't think they are around anymore.I have a bunch of old Shotgun News and other type mags from the 80' and 90's-I'll see if I saved a copy.

View Quote
There was a big lawsuit-One of their books-Hitman, A Technical Manual for the Independent Contractor-was used word for word as instructions in a murder for hire, once the killer and the person who hired him were caught there was a big lawsuit between the feds and the publisher that resulted in most, if not all of those books being pulled from publication.

If you pull up Netflix and watch The New Detectives(old Discovery Channel show) one of the first few episodes is about that case.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not only is it much easier to manufacture suppressors than rimfire ammunition, but the circumstances were much different. Newtown was an unforeseen event with tough political timing (Obama reelected), and people were panicking and hoarding.

HPA/SHARE would be the opposite of that. The entire industry is watching and quietly making plans, and manufacturers can gradually increase their level of investment as the bill passes. There will probably be an effective date that comes after Trump signs it. In the time between the Senate passing a bill and that bill going into effect, manufacturers can build a stock of inventory ready to roll on day 1. Pallets of suppressors, integrally suppressed firearms, and integrally suppressed uppers could be arriving at distributors within 48 hours.

That's my half way logic-based daydream, anyways.
View Quote
Like Keltec?   A few houses might have the means to quickly ramp up production but, most will not.

There will definitely be a market for used suppressors if it passes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully this'll see the light of day. But I doubt it gets out of the committee.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]
On topic: What's the opinion of what will happen to the cost of plinking ammo in, say, 5.56 and 9mm if this happens? Flood the market? Remain similar for high quality American made brass cased ammo? How about for the new whiz-bang 5.56 self defense rounds like tipped matchking, matchking, TSX, Gold Dots, etc?

I can't imagine that a company like Federal or Winchester operates on huge profit margins. How much lower can it go and them be able to keep the doors open?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]
SO two grenades for the price of one??
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
If HPA passes cans will be HAAAARDDD to come by for quite some time.  It may take 2-3 years for the industry to catch up, hope quality does not slip.

Once they do I bet the prices then become very competitive over the years to come.

Right now really quality cans at 1000-1500 make sense, since they will not sell many units.

Eventually that same model should sell 10s of thousands of units, instead of hundreds.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
so..once this passes will all the dickface whiners shit up about trump?
View Quote
SO want I to hold a candidate to his promises makes people whiners?  Lol

If this passes (highly unlikely) then it'll be a step in the right direction for sure but there's much more to be done.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

SO want I to hold a candidate to his promises makes people whiners?  Lol

If this passes (highly unlikely) then it'll be a step in the right direction for sure but there's much more to be done.
View Quote
Well, he can not just wave a magic wand and make all his wishes come true.

There is a whole party rallying against him as hard they possibly can and there are traitors in his own party helping them every step of the way.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hillary lost-get over it.

The Republicans control all 3 branches.Fasten your seatbelt...........
View Quote
Can I buy crack from you?  

You can't be serious in thinking just because republicans control all three branches that means anything of consequence...

Need I remind you of the time period between 2000-2008 where we had an even larger majority?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im not boltcathc. but I would like to respond. How much does a CNC mill cost? How much does a CNC lather cost? How much does an EDM sinker machine cost? How much does a CNC TIG welding machine cost? How much do the materials cost? How much do your machine operators make a year? How does your graphics design team cost? How much does it cost to produce packaging? CNC Cerakote applicator, R&D, ammo, full auto firearms, bullet traps, air scrubbers...the list goes on. Add all that up (plus some) and I think we can begin to understand why a quality suppressor costs what it costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr Boltcatch, How much machining experience do you personally have? Honest answer please. I'm no trying to be an ass. I am just trying to understand your statement above. I can't say that I have extreme extensive experience. But I do have a bit of it with ti ( Ti 6-4) , al (Various), and various stainless steels. The machining is not that difficult to do, just takes quality cutting heads and good equipment. The average joe who can get access to a good quality lathe can make all of this stuff quickly and easily. There is also more "slop" than you would think in most suppressors. ( I have a few suppressors as well )

Thank you.
Im not boltcathc. but I would like to respond. How much does a CNC mill cost? How much does a CNC lather cost? How much does an EDM sinker machine cost? How much does a CNC TIG welding machine cost? How much do the materials cost? How much do your machine operators make a year? How does your graphics design team cost? How much does it cost to produce packaging? CNC Cerakote applicator, R&D, ammo, full auto firearms, bullet traps, air scrubbers...the list goes on. Add all that up (plus some) and I think we can begin to understand why a quality suppressor costs what it costs.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your method of answering the question with a question is a bit 'far out' making a few cans for personal use is simple and easy. Your repeated questions are in reference clearly to running a business. Not everything needs to be CNC machined, especially if you're only making a dozen or so for personal use.

The tech is not difficult and is actually pretty easy to machine and setup for a few cans. I would not want to make a thousand cans like this, but like many here would probably be able to say. Getting access to a lathe and a simple mill/drill press is not that hard. I know of a few I could use at any given time that are not CNC, and I could make a few for myself rather easily. They would look decent and work effectively.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#13]
All of the Chicom "Type ##" guns I could ever want. I'm IN on this one. Unfortunately the politicians that we need to get on board with something like this can fuck up a wet dream, my fingers are crossed though!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#14]
If you gave me free chicom shit, I would throw it away.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bet 90% of the stuff you own is made in China. You gonna throw that away?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:15:08 AM EDT
[#16]
My lathe is so wet right now
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bet 90% of the stuff you own is made in China. You gonna throw that away?
View Quote
Considering my home was made right here, and consists of 70% of my net worth there is no way you are right.

Any cheap shit laying around that has a bunch of chicom components in it I could definitely do without.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:23:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But the prices will still be $800 or more because a tube with caps on the end is damn near impossible to manufacture.  
View Quote
Who knows. Maybe with more people buying, they can increase production and drive down costs.
Or keep charging $800, and you save $200 tax stamp.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
More quality Ak for me then, I'll also take a truck load of yellow box 7.62 while we're at it. Maybe even a type 97. I'll take it all. I'll take it all right now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All of the Chicom "Type ##" guns I could ever want. I'm IN on this one. Unfortunately the politicians that we need to get on board with something like this can fuck up a wet dream, my fingers are crossed though!
View Quote
Sorry to burst your bubble.....but the 1993 and 2003 Chinese import bans wouldn't be affected by this proposed legislation.....they were separate from the '89 Import ban (which used the "sporting purposes" clause as its basis)
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:56:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Like Keltec?   A few houses might have the means to quickly ramp up production but, most will not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only is it much easier to manufacture suppressors than rimfire ammunition, but the circumstances were much different. Newtown was an unforeseen event with tough political timing (Obama reelected), and people were panicking and hoarding.

HPA/SHARE would be the opposite of that. The entire industry is watching and quietly making plans, and manufacturers can gradually increase their level of investment as the bill passes. There will probably be an effective date that comes after Trump signs it. In the time between the Senate passing a bill and that bill going into effect, manufacturers can build a stock of inventory ready to roll on day 1. Pallets of suppressors, integrally suppressed firearms, and integrally suppressed uppers could be arriving at distributors within 48 hours.

That's my half way logic-based daydream, anyways.

"Quickly" is a relative term. In this context, if we assume that this bill gets passed by both the House and the Senate, Trump's signature is a safe assumption. The time between both chambers passing the bill and the law taking effect is likely to take months. Depending upon the individual circumstances for the existing suppressor manufacturers, they could spend that time running extra shifts getting as much product as possible staged so they can really cash in on the big market boom. The longer they wait, the faster they'll lose market share to new competition.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#22]
According to this, the House passed a previous version of this bill last year but it died in the Senate. Comparing the bills, it looks like they shortened the number of chapters/titles/whatever and added the HPA and sporting purposes stuff for the 115th Congress version.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah,53% to 41% over his democrat challenger.Easily beat his primary challengers as well.

Seems to me,that if the people of Arizona were sick of him,he would have gotten the boot,rather than a 6th term.

I hope you are right on 2018,but I have serious doubts............
View Quote
Trump saved a great deal of the Establishment in their primary, Ryan ,etc and did so with the expection they would help him, he has learned his lesson.

Here is his chapter on Revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd0AdArPjqU

Listen and take notes, factor in Bannon and Louindski being back on the team and leftists and cucks will REEE like never seen before.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
On topic: What's the opinion of what will happen to the cost of plinking ammo in, say, 5.56 and 9mm if this happens? Flood the market? Remain similar for high quality American made brass cased ammo? How about for the new whiz-bang 5.56 self defense rounds like tipped matchking, matchking, TSX, Gold Dots, etc?

I can't imagine that a company like Federal or Winchester operates on huge profit margins. How much lower can it go and them be able to keep the doors open?
View Quote
I'm going to take a roughly educated guess and say that NATO standard ammunition will probably only drop a little bit. I suspect most of the ammunition being imported would be surplus commie calibers.

So prices for those commie calibers would drop like a rock, and NATO calibers would probably have to drop a little bit too to compete with the demand for dirt cheap AKs and dirt cheap 7.62 ammo.

The AR15 is still the most common gun in America. So there will still be a demand for .225/5.56 no matter how much cheap surplus chinese 7.62 gets imported. We might see brass cased .223 selling for  20-25 cpr and brass 9mm selling for 10-15 cpr.

That's my wild guess. Hopefully the imports aren't so cheap that American companies aren't able to compete and go under.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What does it do? Give me a boner

No more sporting clause for importation
No more ATF rulings on ammo
No more restricting ammo from importation
No more over .50 caliber = DD
That last one I'm hazy on, maybe buying handguns across state lines?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#26]
So I could buy 20mm rifles and ammo no DD asshatery?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not really.

Suppressors cost so much because they are marketed towards people who have enough disposable income to pay a $200 tax, and those people expect an extremely long lasting product in exchange for their expense and inconvenience. This is compounded by the regulatory burden of dealing in NFA transactions. Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers all need to make a big enough margin to make that pain worthwhile.

Pull suppressors out of the NFA, and all of that mostly goes away overnight. The tax goes away, and cans will go from manufacturers to consumers in a couple of weeks. Do you really think suppressors should cost more than AR barrels or magnified optics?

The real fun is going to be in the hardware store parts lists that pop up here on Arfcom. Guys are going to be making cans out of all kinds of crazy shit just because we can. You think it's going to stop at Maglight bodies and freeze plugs? People are going to be making science experiments out of PVC, conduit, copper pipe, aerosol cans, shop vac attachments, or whatever they think might be fun to duct tape to the end of a 10/22.
View Quote
Go across the pond and cans are cheap. They're disposable items. 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#28]
That looks great, I'm hoping for the best now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I hope it passes.

Something needs to pass.  Anything.  GOP doing nothing while the D's whittle away our rights will kill the 2A.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I love this answer. By your logic a forged 7075 AR lower should cost $1500 too  

How much does a forging hammer cost?
How much do forging dies cost?
How much does a billet of 7075 aluminum cost?
How much does a CNC mill and tooling cost?
How much does an anodizing setup cost?

... and yet you can buy one for $40.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And that enterprising person will have his ass sued into the ground when the baffle strikes start and somebody gets hurt.  Then the next guy will copy that design and the ID will go to twice the size of a normal can and the suppression will suck balls.  It'll sell about as well as the crazy ass pistol grip not a shoulder stock NY legal shoulder stock.  Aimless will have 3 of them.
View Quote
Why would you get baffle strikes if it's sleeved onto the barrel?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#32]
So can we say anyone who doesn't support this is against sharing?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Lots of negative Nancy's around here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know, right?  With the swift and decisive repeal of Obamacare, the new budget and those lower taxes that the Republican controlled House, Senate and Executive managed to get done in the first 100, why I can't imagine anyone would take this with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Until this passes then everyone will be making them and 80% suppressor kits.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,there's only a handful of people in the US that could possibly make suppressors.............
Until this passes then everyone will be making them and 80% suppressor kits.......
You can apply for a stamp and make then shit out of one. wtf are you talking about?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why would you get baffle strikes if it's sleeved onto the barrel?
View Quote
Make notches into barrel to secure can like the ones that slip on the birdcage. Done.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its not like the Republicans are in Control of Congress and The White House. Of course they should just sit on their fat asses and do nothing, and bask in their victory.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Patiently waiting for PSA to release shitty Chinese $200 cans.
View Quote
Or just build your own $50 can...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You won't though...Economies of scale much? The sheer number of suppressors that will flood the market and the innovation involved with new brands finding their market niche will make the floor fall out of the suppressor market.
View Quote
I'm willing to bet can prices fall 80%....but they should be able to move 2000% more product in the same time frame. High quality is great, it's he most important thing. But if you are a suppressor manufacturer and aren't tooolig up for mass production and quick turnaround you are going to be left behind.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The ban on Chinese firearms is due to a Presidential Order issued by Bush1.

Bush sanctions on China
View Quote
Every country other than China is fair game.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Please.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Its not like the Republicans are in Control of Congress and The White House. Of course they should just sit on their fat asses and do nothing, and bask in their victory.
View Quote
I agree......it IS TIME they threw us a fucking bone for god's sake!!!!!!!!!

IT'S TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
But the prices will still be $800 or more because a tube with caps on the end is damn near impossible to manufacture.  
View Quote
I understand there is a certain company who has already contracted with an overseas manufacturer and already has been in talks with a major sports retailer here in the US to carry a can..............priced at around $100.

All contingent on HPA....but still.  Expect prices to drop.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Can all this somehow be tied to a "reconciliation type of bill"???

That way Mitchie would only need 51 votes???
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Considering my home was made right here, and consists of 70% of my net worth there is no way you are right.

Any cheap shit laying around that has a bunch of chicom components in it I could definitely do without.
View Quote
Good luck living that that pile of US grown sticks, on your US made concrete slab, tangled in US made copper wire.

Linked nails for nail guns likely came from China.
The rest of the nails and drywall screws have a better than 1 in 3 chance of coming from China.
Be sure and toss your electrical outlets and most of your light fixtures.
After the 2000 scare on China made sheetrock, your have a fair chance of US made sheetrock.
Do you have porcine or ceramic tile, better check on that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This. There is a PA RINO calling for UBCs. We have a RINO in OR supporting secret court confiscations and indefinite purchase delays. TX RINOs kill open carry. FL RINOs do the same. On federal level, Republicans are even worse when it comes to 2A rights. Only better than commies for now.
View Quote

Yep, all those R's were standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the gun grabbers when they went full-retard after Sandy Hook.  It's a good thing those gun grabbers didn't push for another AWB or mag limits or UBCs or a gun registry at the time.  We would have had nobody to stop it.  

Oh wait, they did try it, and republicans (and some democrats) banded together and voted to stop it.  And they will vote pro-2A again, but only if we tell them to.  If we assume this bill is DOA and roll over like a bunch of bitches then the only voices they hear will be pajama boy crying about scary guns.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep, all those R's were standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the gun grabbers when they went full-retard after Sandy Hook.  It's a good thing those gun grabbers didn't push for another AWB or mag limits or UBCs or a gun registry at the time.  We would have had nobody to stop it.  

Oh wait, they did try it, and republicans (and some democrats) banded together and voted to stop it.  And they will vote pro-2A again, but only if we tell them to.  If we assume this bill is DOA and roll over like a bunch of bitches then the only voices they hear will be pajama boy crying about scary guns.
View Quote
Yup, I already sent emails...........as soon as I read this thread actually.

I think the Reps, Senators and President are getting a bit sick of all my emails!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You can't be serious in thinking just because republicans control all three branches that means anything of consequence...

Need I remind you of the time period between 2000-2008 where we had an even larger majority?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hillary lost-get over it.

The Republicans control all 3 branches.Fasten your seatbelt...........

Don't have any crack,but I probably have some batteries for your sarcasm detector...................
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There was a big lawsuit-One of their books-Hitman, A Technical Manual for the Independent Contractor-was used word for word as instructions in a murder for hire, once the killer and the person who hired him were caught there was a big lawsuit between the feds and the publisher that resulted in most, if not all of those books being pulled from publication.

If you pull up Netflix and watch The New Detectives(old Discovery Channel show) one of the first few episodes is about that case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm. I saw those at a gun show last year.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top