Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what did you leave in the patient?
View Quote

so now OP knows where his car keys are...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They are allowed to share information with other health care providers, but I guess you know that.  

On the flip side, If the caller doesn't know your voice, how do they know you are who you say you are?  We require them to provide 2 patient identifiers, their name, and who they work for.  Hipaa violations happen on occasion still.  People get fired over that shit so that's why they are cautious.  I would want to lose my job over a phone call.  Good luck finding another one too after being fired for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I operated on a patient yesterday and just now got a call from the ER. They told me that the patient is there being seen. When I asked what was wrong I was told " I am sorry, but HIPPA laws say I can't tell you" WTF I am only the FUCKING SURGEON , so this is what the new world order is coming to. Good luck to all you patients. yes I called back and got someone with more than ONE brain cell and got the answer...

They are allowed to share information with other health care providers, but I guess you know that.  

On the flip side, If the caller doesn't know your voice, how do they know you are who you say you are?  We require them to provide 2 patient identifiers, their name, and who they work for.  Hipaa violations happen on occasion still.  People get fired over that shit so that's why they are cautious.  I would want to lose my job over a phone call.  Good luck finding another one too after being fired for that.

I get that shit where I work. It is a military treatment facility so we get active duty service members there all the time. On occasion we will get a commander calling in for a status on their Soldier. I tell them they are a patient here, they are stable and we are running tests. I cannot tell them anything further.

Then we get the dickhead commanders that demand to know everything that is going on, what is being done, what they are there for, what their diagnosis is, when they can be released, etc. Then they get pissed we can't tell them everything. I tell them about our HIPAA laws and let them know they need to talk to the Soldier for that information.

I even had one commander show up when the Soldier was about to be released, demanding his discharge paperwork. I politely told him not only no but hell no. I have pissed off ALOT of people over HIPAA and you know what, I still have a job despite them telling me they would get me fired if I didn't give them the information they were demanding.

Commanders seem to think that because the Soldier is under their command, they have the right to know everything about them. I have at least one or two calls a month like that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
So the IRS and anyone that hacks them gets to know ALL my medical history, but my own surgeon has to jump through hoops? Makes sense.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Rectum?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I think my response would be, "If you can't tell me, why did you even call me?  Does HIPPA even allow you to call me?"  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Only your database administrator can see everything.

View Quote

ROOT > DBA  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
sorry to disappoint but I left nothing inside. THEY called me to tell me the patient was there but would not say why ??????  anyway, patient on her way to the office. Why she didn't call me first is my first question to her.
View Quote

This. Whenever a post op patient comes to see me the first thing I ask is what did your surgeon say when you called them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#9]
HIPAA is stupid.

I know a woman who was fired from her small town pharmacy tech job because she asked a customer she was waiting on "how's your Mom?"
In a small town, where everyone knows everyone.
She made no reference to her mom being a customer, or any condition she may or may not have.
Just a social greeting between 2 people who know each other, outside of the drug store.

And I have to sign a HIPAA waiver at another pharmacy when I pick up medication for my DOG.

We have too many lawyers
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I operated on a patient yesterday and just now got a call from the ER. They told me that the patient is there being seen. When I asked what was wrong I was told " I am sorry, but HIPPA laws say I can't tell you" WTF I am only the FUCKING SURGEON , so this is what the new world order is coming to. Good luck to all you patients. yes I called back and got someone with more than ONE brain cell and got the answer...
View Quote

That's not a HIPAA restriction, that's just a stupid person restriction.  My fiance consults with ER physicians all the time when her patients are there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
HIPAA is stupid.

I know a woman who was fired from her small town pharmacy tech job because she asked a customer she was waiting on "how's your Mom?"
She made no reference to her mom being a customer, or any condition she may or may not have.
Just a social greeting between 2 people who know each other, outside of the drug store.
View Quote

That's not a HIPAA violation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  

SUDOers can fake their way through it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Gonna have to agree... During the birth of our first child there was an issue nothing major, but none the less an issue. I was in the room the whole time with my wife and i asked a general question some where along the lines of blood pressure or some reading on a machine and they said they couldn't disclose due to HIPPA
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  

You don't encrypt your databases?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  

Root doesn't mean shit if you still can't access the tables.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  

We use full disk encryption.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  

Just because you're a server admin doesn't mean you have access to the databases.  At least not since Server 2005 or so.

I get both.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like less a HIPPA problem and more a moron on the hospital staff problem (the caller, not you.).
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Just because you're a server admin doesn't mean you have access to the databases.  At least not since Server 2005 or so.

I get both.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROOT > DBA  

I get both.  

I work both in Open Source and Windows environments.

In the Windows world someone who is a server admin can be locked out of immediate access by a DBA but can still gain access to a SQL Server database by brute force.  I have had to do that occasionally when the previous sole DBA was gone and nobody had the sa credentials.  There is always a way to get in.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why did the patient show up in the ER rather than calling your office?
View Quote

'cause he's surfin' arf.com and ain't got no time fo dat shit!  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#21]
There are a lot of hospitals and clinics that won't share information without a release to ME. It's expressly allowed in HIPAA for physicians to communicate between each other for the patient's care, but they want to cover their butt. At $10,000 per violation it's too scary not to.

I actually use HIPAA as an example when arguing with people about universal healthcare. "Do you want the people that wrote HIPAA to be the ones that control the entire healthcare system?"
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gonna have to agree... During the birth of our first child there was an issue nothing major, but none the less an issue. I was in the room the whole time with my wife and i asked a general question some where along the lines of blood pressure or some reading on a machine and they said they couldn't disclose due to HIPPA
View Quote

Ugh, again, not a HIPAA violation.  You're either lying about what happened, or the person telling you was an idiot.

As the parent of a minor (particularly an infant), you're able to receive PHI under most circumstances.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HIPAA is stupid.

Seems like it could be. What if mom is a patient who has some kind of serious medical issue that they don't want to tell people about? I don't know shit about hipaa, but it seems like outing people in such a way could be a problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Seems like it could be. What if mom is a patient who has some kind of serious medical issue that they don't want to tell people about? I don't know shit about hipaa, but it seems like outing people in such a way could be a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HIPAA is stupid.

Based on the information provided in his paragraph, there's 0 chance of a HIPAA violation.  Something else was going on, or they were fired for a different reason.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Which one of these calls is a doctor?

"Hello. This is Dr. Quigley. I received a call about a patient of mine, Jane Doe. How may I be of assistance?"

"Hey*, this is Quigley. Someone called me about Jane Doe.** What's going on?***"

* The salutation is optional.
** The pt name is optional. You're supposed to know who they are calling about.
*** The interrogatory is optional.

View Quote

If it's the main OR desk, our conversations are even more brief. Here's the conversation that started the 16 hour shift I just finished:
[Phone rings - main desk caller ID]
Me: "hurt me."
Charge nurse: "you on deck now?"
Me: "yeah. How bad is my black cloud tonight?"
Charge: "well, we've got, uh... oh, there's just too much shit to tell you on the phone. Come see me at the desk when you get a minute."

With surgeons:
Me: "Anesthesia"
Surgeon: "Hey, it's [usually first name]. Who's this?"
Me: "It's _________. What's up?"
Surgeon: "Oh, hi _______. I got a case to bring up. It's a train wreck, but shouldn't take too long."
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

A bill.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did you remove the healthy testical?
View Quote

True story.

Down in Jacksonville FL an old black woman went into a Piggly Wiggly. As she was going down an aisle she slipped on a bag of grits that had fallen off the shelf and broken open. Fractured her leg, complications occurred, she tried to ignore the problem until the leg had to be amputated.

Goes in for surgery. Doc takes off the WRONG LEG! She then has to have the bad one removed.

Gets a lawyer and goes to court for the big payoff.

Defense attorney makes a motion for dismissal and the judge grants it.

According to the judge she didn't have a leg to stand on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

One of the most frustrating things about HIPAA is that pretty much any government agency seems to be exempt and can ask for (and providers are allowed to give) any sort of information it wants.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One of the most frustrating things about HIPAA is that pretty much any government agency seems to be exempt and can ask for (and providers are allowed to give) any sort of information it wants.  
Uh, no. Here is a list of times I'm allowed to share patient information with LE/govt agencies without a subpoena (I'm a paramedic):

The following is a list of situations in which PHI can be shared with the police verbally.  

1. Patient is a victim of a crime

2. Patient is in custody of the police

3. Reporting of legally specified wounds (ex. gunshot, stabbing)

4. Fire department personnel reasonably believe patient is a victim of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence. (Can also release PHI to a government authority, including a social service or protective service organization, authorized by law to receive reports of such abuse, neglect, or domestic violence.) The patient must be informed that the report was or will be made. Fire department personnel will not disclose the reporting of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence if: a) The disclosure could put the patient or an individual in serious harm. b) The disclosure would be given to the suspected perpetrator. 5. If in the course of providing emergency care disclosure of PHI is necessary to alert law enforcement officials to the commission and nature of a crime, location of crime, location of victims of a crime, and/or the identity, description, and location of the perpetrator of such crime.

6. Patient is deceased and police are handling notification of medical examiner, coroner, justice of the peace, or funeral director. Fire department personnel can also give PHI directly to medical examiners, coroners, justice of the peace, funeral directors or their designees.

7. In response to a law enforcement officers request for the purpose of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person, provided the PHI is limited to driver license information, SS#, place of birth, type of injury, date and time of treatment, date and time of death, and a description of distinguishing physical characteristics.

8. Patient has made an admission of harming someone or himself/herself.

9. Patient is suspected of being a danger to himself/herself.
Note that this is verbally, I'm NEVER allowed to let them see the report.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

A used condom?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought that you're entitled to access confidential information as you are involved in their care, or did the person on the phone not believe who you are?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I thought that you're entitled to access confidential information as you are involved in their care, or did the person on the phone not believe who you are?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The surgeon would have to be consulted by the ER doc for the surgeon to have access to information.  The fact that the surgeon did surgery on the patient yesterday is irrelevant until the ER doc consults the surgeon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't exaggerate.  That person had TWO neurons connected by a spirochete!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The surgeon would have to be consulted by the ER doc for the surgeon to have access to information.  The fact that the surgeon did surgery on the patient yesterday is irrelevant until the ER doc consults the surgeon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe that to be the case.  A PCP is entitled to PHI in order to ensure continuity of care.  They don't have to be contacted by the ER before requesting information.  That's allowable under HIPAA.  I would argue the same is the case with a surgeon who operated the previous day and following up with a patient.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if they have a pending consult, clinic visit, or adverse event...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#36]
HIPAA is the only reason we have a fax machine in my office. When med docs come in they get scan then sent encrypted via email to my higher HQ who sends it to State. Often times it is faster and easier to go to the treatment facility in person.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#37]
HIPAA is the only reason we have a fax machine in my office. When med docs come in they get scan then sent encrypted via email to my higher HQ who sends it to State. Often times it is faster and easier to go to the treatment facility in person.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
sorry to disappoint but I left nothing inside. THEY called me to tell me the patient was there but would not say why ??????  anyway, patient on her way to the office. Why she didn't call me first is my first question to her.
View Quote
I don't understand that.

If telling you WHY they were there is a violation of HIPAA; telling you THAT they were there is equally considered a HIPAA violation by some.

There is a lots of ignorance among medical personnel on HIPAA.  They typically err on the side of withholding information every time.

And some disclosures are permitted but not required.

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/laws-regulations/
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have found that HIPPA is both one of the most misunderstood and most hidden behind laws in recent history.

J-
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#41]
When my wife starts getting annoying, I tell her I can't talk anymore due to hippa regulations.  lots of people in health care have no idea how hippa works.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is BS. There is a clause, if the info or the receiver of the info is about the direct care of the Patient, they can share it. In EMS we had to do a bunch of investigating & requesting interpretations, because we have to share info with Fire & Police on occasion. Plus, requesting follow up info for continuing education.

Most people in Healthcare have no idea what HIPPA covers or does.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why did the patient show up in the ER rather than calling your office?
View Quote

Do you go outside much?  

A lot of people aren't very bright.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#44]
I deliver medical equipment and at a facility I visit they have a sign posted that we can not say the name of the patient or what we are delivering for the patient due to HIPAA. So I assume I am just to stand there with the equipment until they guess who it is for. Way to many people do not understand the law.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Junior Mint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Junior Mint.

they are delicious
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

"Hello. This is Dr. Quigley. I received a call about a patient of mine, Jane Doe. How may I be of assistance?"

"Hey*, this is Quigley. Someone called me about Jane Doe.** What's going on?***"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not realize they had called him first.  That changes things.  Now he calls them...that's different.  We provide services for several clinics, doctors offices, as well as have several surgeons affiliated and outpatient surgery centers.  Probably close to 100 different doctors, some foreign.  I don't know all of them off the top of my head.  I've been here for over a year.  Unless they identify themselves over the phone I'm going to have no clue who they are unless it's one of our hosptitalists.  We service quite a few patients during the day, I'll also need patient name and DOB helps me look them up.

But they called him?  Yeah that's dumb.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
HIPAA  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's HIPAA, but yeah they're super dumb.  

The problem's not HIPAA, you got unlucky with the person answering the phone and your patients understanding of post-op instructions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#49]
spelling was never my long suit.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
spelling was never my long suit.  
View Quote

I am just glad you are typing this and not writing this.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top