Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the Air Force has all sorts of safety procedures for handling crashed aircraft that had loaded machineguns and such on board.

An undamaged firearm certainly shouldn’t go off on it’s own.  But put it in the middle of a wreck, possibly damage it in the process, and throw in a tow truck moving that wreck – and this doesn’t sound surprising at all.

Incidentally, as many members here no doubt know, a rifle round such as a 30-30 will zip right through soft body armor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Did they see a unicorn grazing on the side of the road, too?

Wow.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
10 to 1 it was an officer induced NG.   Any other scenario is astronomically unlikely.  
If the gun truely "just went off" when the vehicle was towed, then that officers number was just up.  He would have been hit by a meteor if the bullet had missed him.

It would be morbidly interesting to investigate that crime scene.

Sad no matter how it happened.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the story from a friend at the P.D. Troopers answer call of 10-50.two DUI'S.Male driver and female passenger.Ford ranger turned upsidedown.Wrecker turns over vehicle,and loads up.Trooper standing next to the other troopers car,[female for what its worth],wrecker pulls away and trooper turns and waves at the guy.Gun in back of seat discharges,strikes trooper in collar area,and bullet travels down into chest cavity.Bolt action 30.06 rifle,at the range it happened it thought that the vest may have been defeated anyway.A movie plot couldn't have been written this bad.IF he wouldn't of turned he never would have been hit.Life is so full of bad karma and what if's,it's a wonder any of us live to a ripe old age.A sad day indeed.........The furneral for Trooper Manion will be in Clifton Forge on Wed.The loser who owned the truck faces four charges,DUI,convicted felon in possesion of a firearm,grand larceny of a firearm,and burglary.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
It happened the next town over from me

Bomber
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I meant to say "tag"
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Loaded rifles and shotguns are permitted in a vehicle unless the county has restricted it

leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.2

Handguns may also be loaded

From Packing.org

Carrying without a Permit/License
Date updated: Aug 12, 2005 @ 10:03 pm

In Virginia, one may carry a handgun in the open with no license. Loaded handguns on the seat or dashboard in plain view while in a vehicle are fine. Carrying concealed in places that serve alcohol is prohibited, even licensed, but open carry there is allowed.

§18.2-312. Virginia Law on Chemical Sprays.

§18.2-308.1. §18.2-308.2. Virginia Laws on Electric Weapons.

Non-Resident Police Officer Carry
Virginia allows on and off duty police officers from all other states to carry concealed weapons, not just handguns, in Virginia. Concealed carry in restaurants or clubs that serve alcohol is allowed for police officers.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Loaded rifles and shotguns are permitted in a vehicle unless the county has restricted it

according to a custom gunsmith, who lives on a farm right behind me, it is illegal here in clarke county.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Rest In Peace
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I live in Richmond VA and heard it on the radio. I call BS on the gun just "discharging". Thats like saying Cheney was 30 yards away!

What are you talking about?  I agree with you about it being very unlikely the firearm just discharged, but what have you heard about the Vice Preisident and the distance from Mr. Whittington?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Amazing.  Rest in peace brother.

...and my wife hates when I say, "When your time is up, it's up"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top