User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yeah, I'm sure being held without charge for how many years has made those guys absolutely looove America. I'm sure they'll fit in just fine here.

Gitmo was a damned stupid idea from the word 'go.'

Agreed. Should've been shot in the forehead (so they could SEE it coming) and bulldozed into a mass grave with their fellow shitheads.

I don't think summary executions is an American value, either.

Who fucking cares. As was mentioned before, they aren't Americans––-they're TERRORISTS.

And exactly what would YOU suggest? A warm fuzzy and some coddling? C'mon, do tell.....

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:01:37 AM EDT
[#2]
This nation has gone full retard
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This nation has gone full retard

You are correct. That is why I will NEVER forget the assholes who put shitfuck in office. They can shove any misgivings they do/will have right up their collective asses. I will NEVER welcome them to "our side". Fuck those morons.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well something has to be done with them.

Maybe some of them will go on to be productive members of society who will appreciate the freedoms we enjoy here that they are denied in their country's of origin.

And that is per the order of SCOTUS.
For those who don't keep up with these things, indefinite imprisonment is not exactly an American value.

Send them home. Who cares what happens to them after that? If they got snatched up playing fuck-fuck games in Afghanistan with the Taliban, they're on their own.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are going to assimilate them into our culture, let them start by serving our nation somehow.

We should use their guts to grease our tank treads.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To be fair to the Uighers, they're mainly screwed because we (and Europe) don't want to piss off China.  We've been trying to find anyplace that will take them almost since we got them.  FWIW, they were model prisoners, mainly because I suspect they figured we'd just send them to China if they screwed around - two guesses as to  what happens to them on the tarmac if they ever go back to China.  AFAIK, these guys are not even charged with anything, they just don't have a place to send them, though why we're so worried about what happens to a bunch of Muslim seperatists is beyond me.  I'm sure the Chinese would give them a rigorously fair trial before their execution, after all Now, some of the other detainees...

I dont understand why we dont just drop them off where we picked them up..Why is this so complicated??
If they want to put them in the US then drop them off in the Ghetto somewhere with the wrong "colors" on
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe some of them will go on to be productive members of society who will appreciate the freedoms we enjoy here that they are denied in their country's of origin.

For those who don't keep up with these things, indefinite imprisonment is not exactly an American value.

Send them home. Who cares what happens to them after that? If they got snatched up playing fuck-fuck games in Afghanistan with the Taliban, they're on their own.

I've heard Egyptian Military Intelligence has some wonderful ways of dealing with these people.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Execution by firing squad isn't either these days, but that's how these peaceful fellows should be dealt with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Not to worry. This cocksmooch says they're non-threatening
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, to paraphrase Andrew Jackson:

"Tell the supreme court to take THEIR army and enforce it"

GR

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yeah, I'm sure being held without charge for how many years has made those guys absolutely looove America. I'm sure they'll fit in just fine here.

Agreed. Should've been shot in the forehead (so they could SEE it coming) and bulldozed into a mass grave with their fellow shitheads.

Who fucking cares. As was mentioned before, they aren't Americans––-they're TERRORISTS.

And exactly what would YOU suggest? A warm fuzzy and some coddling? C'mon, do tell.....

So you would give the government unlimited power, so long as it only applies to terrorist?
And the government took  power to execute German spies, who were deemed traitors.
And then the government took power to execute royalists, who were deemed traitors.
And then the government took power to execute Menshaviks, who were deemed traitors.
And then the government took power to execute dissidents, who were deemed traitors.

I don't have all the answers. But I'm also not of the opinion that things that are complicated and difficult just aren't worth doing.

Whatever facsimile of the legal system in Gitmo determined these guys aren't dangerous.
The Supreme Court of the United States decided that, no, the U.S. cannot run a gulag where people are detained forever.
So this is the reality you've got to operate within. Congratulations, the real world is difficult and complex.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#12]
these fuckers are insane
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our enemies know the playbook we have to play with.  They know political correctness is a key element that has sunk this nation's greatness.  Now, it's not politically correct to treat terrorists "bad" since it's "un-American".
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#14]
What are the downstream, downrange, consequences of turning these people loose, not to mention turning them loose on our home soil and giving them motherfucking welfare benefits?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What are the downstream, downrange, consequences of turning these people loose, not to mention turning them loose on our home soil and giving them motherfucking welfare benefits?

The answer will be "It's Bush's fault"

GR
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you would give the government unlimited power, so long as it only applies to terrorist?
And the government took  power to execute German spies, who were deemed traitors.
And then the government took power to execute royalists, who were deemed traitors.
And then the government took power to execute Menshaviks, who were deemed traitors.
And then the government took power to execute dissidents, who were deemed traitors.

I don't have all the answers. But I'm also not of the opinion that things that are complicated and difficult just aren't worth doing.

Whatever facsimile of the legal system in Gitmo determined these guys aren't dangerous.
The Supreme Court of the United States decided that, no, the U.S. cannot run a gulag where people are detained forever.
So this is the reality you've got to operate within. Congratulations, the real world is difficult and complex.

Still didn't answer the question.......

Oh, and for the hundredth time: they're not Americans and enjoy no Constitutional protections (IMHO). So don't drag potential "domestic" people into the equation. These fucks were captured overseas and are not Americans. A few who were Americans were turned over to our pussy-ass justice system as they (reluctantly) should be. Don't muddy the water.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They better be putting them in the Federal Witness Protection Program.  Because if they are anywhere near me....

Fuck it, I am surrounding myself with a fucking HUGE hog farm.  Fuck the smell, I'll even have me a pet pot-bellied pig, in my house.  They are easily house broken.  And I will name him Muhammed Allah.

I like how you think.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I demand every address, photos and fingerprints on every damn one of them!

Open season, no limit no tag required.  Anything less is treason!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I cannot put into words what I am feeling about this, other than to say, with each passing day I am sadened at the current state of our Country.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#20]
That's what parachutes ca be used for.   Air drop
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I demand every address, photos and fingerprints on every damn one of them!

Open season, no limit no tag required.  Anything less is treason!

Not gonna happen.  Terrorists have a "right to privacy".  Not Americans, but will have rights now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#22]
One of these days my head is going to explode.

GM
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, and for the hundredth time: they're not Americans and enjoy no Constitutional protections (IMHO). So don't drag potential "domestic" people into the equation. These fucks were captured overseas and are not Americans. A few who were Americans were turned over to our pussy-ass justice system as they (reluctantly) should be. Don't muddy the water.

As I said above, I don't have all the answers. I imagine this would be some collaborative effort between several agencies and I can't imagine the logistics, coordination or time frame that something like this would entail. But I'm fairly certain this government that administers to a nation of 300,000,000 can figure out what to do with 20 mother fuckers.

And for the hundredth time, if you read the Constitution as a document with any sort of emphasis, it does not spell out the rights of Americans or anyone else, it limits what government can do. I can't find the term "American" anywhere in the Bill of Rights, and "the people" has been interpreted to mean any and everyone under the jurisdiction of the U.S. government. The government cannot disbar resident-aliens the right to bear arms or curtail their right to free speech.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#24]
My understanding is that the guys being considered for release are ethnic minority Muslims from western China, who were participating in an on going war against the People's Republic of China government.  North west Afghanistan shares a short border with the Peoples Republic, and these Uighar detainees were in lawless Afghanistan in order to conduct cross border operations in China.

The US military at Gitmo wanted to release them years ago, but there isn't really anywhere to put them.  If we sent them to China they would be executed,  we can't return them to Afghanistan.  A logical release might be the central Asian (former Soviet) republics, but that would piss off the Chinese to no fucking end.  

They should have released them, with no big fanfare, in Uzbekistan, Khazakstan or Tajikistan years ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't believe they are considering this!!!

I blame Bush, CONgress and Obama for this crap.

Anyways, I have a much better idea. What if they are taken in for one last medical checkup and they insert a small tracking device and we drop them back off in Pakistan.

Track them for awhile and let them get a visit from a Predator Drone.

Or can that only happen on TV?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm... A whole lot of them are just innocent schmucks who got caught up when we started offering bounties. At least, that's the conclusion coming from the people who have been interrogating them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Are you FUCKING KIDDING?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They better be putting them in the Federal Witness Protection Program.  Because if they are anywhere near me....

Fuck it, I am surrounding myself with a fucking HUGE hog farm.  Fuck the smell, I'll even have me a pet pot-bellied pig, in my house.  They are easily house broken.  And I will name him Muhammed Allah.

+1.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't realize that you had to file charges against POWs.

Well, the 3rd Geneva Conventions apply to these folks. They require you to try them under a regularly constituted court and to treat them humanely. You can execute them after you try them.

ETA: The above applies to unlawful combatants. POWs have even more protections, and can't be tried.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#30]
They're not POWs. They're unlawful combatants.

Our Uighur prisoners chose an unlucky border to cross, and that's not my fucking problem. Send them back to China or send them somewhere else.

They're not welcome here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Go ahead, release them into the population.

They should last about as long as a child molester in gen-pop at your local State Prison.

Problem solved
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#32]
San Francisco public housing could use some tenants
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said above, I don't have all the answers. I imagine this would be some collaborative effort between several agencies and I can't imagine the logistics, coordination or time frame that something like this would entail. But I'm fairly certain this government that administers to a nation of 300,000,000 can figure out what to do with 20 mother fuckers.

And for the hundredth time, if you read the Constitution as a document with any sort of emphasis, it does not spell out the rights of Americans or anyone else, it limits what government can do. I can't find the term "American" anywhere in the Bill of Rights, and "the people" has been interpreted to mean any and everyone under the jurisdiction of the U.S. government. The government cannot disbar resident-aliens the right to bear arms or curtail their right to free speech.

and if you understood the constitution as a social contract like a normal person would, you would understand that those who aren't a part of the contract have no standing under the contract.  You give up some rights (i.e. not live in anarchy) to gain the protections of the contract. These guys not only gave up nothing they completely reject that social contract.. Besides when these terrorists are captured on the battlefield the soldiers don't tape off the scene and treat it like a crime scene, you can't filter them through the court system. America has a long history of capturing foreign combatants and not giving them constitutional protections, this isn't anything new.

If we take your route the only thing that is going to happen is that we just wont take prisoners anymore. We will just shoot them on sight instead of capturing them and interrogating them. Why risk taking them into custody? So they can kill American citizens/soldiers again?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Gitmo detainees exist in an interesting situation, where they are neither lawful combatants (and thus afforded rights as POWs), nor afforded rights under the US Constitution, since they are not technically in the United States.

It was a stupid idea. If you're going to do shit like this, don't tell the whole world about it.

No the stupid idea is think they deserve more than a bullet, the constant hand ringing about our mistreatment of those in Gitmo is taken by our enemies as a sign of weakness.  Any signs of weakness encourages them to attack us.

Our entire StratComm message is backwards right now, instead of taken to heart Machiavelli's maxim that it is better to be feared than loved, we are attempting to get them to love us.

No, the stupid idea was sacrificing our ideals for the feeling of security... aka Gitmo, the patriot act, gun control, the war on drugs, etc.
Doing the right thing is not the same as being weak. Doing the right thing is courageous.
Presenting yourself as an empire that tortures people who are held without charge is going to create many more enemies than you could ever eliminate.
Labeling these people as POWs was a very transparent way of side-stepping the law - and the ideals it represents - and everyone knows it.
FYI... I don't remember reading Machiavelli's maxim in any of our constitutional documents. If that's what you think America stands for, then you've certainly twisted our founding father's ideals into something unrecognizable.
And history would show that nations who rule in such a manor ultimately die a violent death.

Unfortunately, we are where we are now, and I think releasing any of them within our borders is a shit-poor idea. Send 'em home.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#35]
thats more fucked up than a 2 headed, 6 legged calf.

i dont understand how seemingly intelligent people could fathom this idea. send them to their own country of birth or if that country wont accept them, toss them out of a C-130 at 50,000.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#37]
They'll be corrupted and at the Strip Club within a week.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#38]
They care more about world opinion than the safety of our citizens.  I hope they live next to the members here who voted for Obama.  Serves them right.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Pathetic.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Gitmo detainees exist in an interesting situation, where they are neither lawful combatants (and thus afforded rights as POWs), nor afforded rights under the US Constitution, since they are not technically in the United States.

It was a stupid idea. If you're going to do shit like this, don't tell the whole world about it.

They are stateless people.  Drop them off at the UN building, in Switzerland.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The government cannot disbar resident-aliens the right to bear arms or curtail their right to free speech.

You are correct, except the POS at Gitmo aren't resident-aliens.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#42]
It's issues like this that we all need to contact our elected officials!

Air your disapproval and let them know that if they don't actively take a stand against such issues, that you will support and campaign for those who will.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Some of the detainees, deemed non-threatening, may be released into the United States as free men, Blair confirmed.

That would happen when they can't be returned to their home countries, because the governments either won't take them or the U.S. fears they will be abused or tortured.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No the stupid idea is think they deserve more than a bullet, the constant hand ringing about our mistreatment of those in Gitmo is taken by our enemies as a sign of weakness.  Any signs of weakness encourages them to attack us.

Our entire StratComm message is backwards right now, instead of taken to heart Machiavelli's maxim that it is better to be feared than loved, we are attempting to get them to love us.

No, the stupid idea was sacrificing our ideals for the feeling of security... aka Gitmo, the patriot act, gun control, the war on drugs, etc.
Doing the right thing is not the same as being weak. Doing the right thing is courageous.
Presenting yourself as an empire that tortures people who are held without charge is going to create many more enemies than you could ever eliminate.
Labeling these people as POWs was a very transparent way of side-stepping the law - and the ideals it represents - and everyone knows it.
FYI... I don't remember reading Machiavelli's maxim in any of our constitutional documents. If that's what you think America stands for, then you've certainly twisted our founding father's ideals into something unrecognizable.
And history would show that nations who rule in such a manor ultimately die a violent death.

Unfortunately, we are where we are now, and I think releasing any of them within our borders is a shit-poor idea. Send 'em home.

So did we read the residents of Hiroshima or Dresden their rights prior to dropping the bombs?  The constitution is not a suicide pact, some of you'll love of theoretical a state ignores reality.  Don't delude yourself the people we fight are very much at war with us.  

Why don't all you who think Gitmo was a bad idea offer to let these guy live in your home?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm... A whole lot of them are just innocent schmucks who got caught up when we started offering bounties. At least, that's the conclusion coming from the people who have been interrogating them.

Really not so much; the standard required to be sent to Gitmo was allot higher than that, the ones in the BAF det fac you maybe able to make that argument for, but these guys deserve to be put on ice.

I have retargeted some of the post released Gitmo guys, and some of the stuff on the high side about who and what they were connected with when they were captured cannot be released, to include by many of those former interrogators who like everyone else signed the 25 year non-disclosure agreement, hence what you read in the news is for most parts wrong about these people.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why don't all you who think Gitmo was a bad idea offer to let these guy live in your home?

Or maybe we could have held them in AFG or Iraq, tried them under regularly constituted courts, and gotten this shit over with 6 or 7 years ago without having to drag it out through 3 or 4 Supreme Court cases?

You know, like our treaty obligations provide? I know you know LOAC.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Show me in the LOAC where it deals with armed, non-state actors or for that matter suicide bombers?  

As the interrogators in VN said to US forces who mentioned the Geneva Accords, we aren't in Geneva.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Show me in the LOAC where it deals with armed, non-state actors or for that matter suicide bombers?  

As the interrogators in VN said to US forces who mentioned the Geneva Accords, we aren't in Geneva.

Common article 3. Don't fit the requirements for lawful combatancy? You're an unlawful combatant. What does that get you? A trial and a stake.

Our mistake was trying to argue that these assholes are persons unknown to the law, and thinking that doing so wouldn't have massive political ramifications. If we had given them a courts martial at the outset, via procedures under the UCMJ, these guys could be pushing up daisies by now.

ETA: Its more than a little disconcerting that we're being compared to VN interrogators.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Lets issue them a side arm too for fucks sake...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#50]
We did set up military tribunals, but as remember many of those on this site said it was a bad idea to do also.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top