User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just buy it and put it out by the pond beside the carousel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247941/Capture_JPG-1795143.JPG

This was from a 7 million dollar home listing.  Can anyone ID it?  17 maybe?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/91st_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron_-_Republic_F-84F-50-RE_Thunderstreak_-_52-6852.jpg

Looks like an F-84 to me.

I would say you are right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Had I won the mega millions I'd be interested.

It'd be fun to go do pattern work at my old work and drive my friends nuts
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Not bad $27,000 a month.

If we can find 15,000 guys to chip in $2 a month.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just buy it and put it out by the pond beside the carousel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247941/Capture_JPG-1795161.JPG

This was from a 7 million dollar home listing.  Can anyone ID it?  17 maybe?
View Quote

F-84
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They are really crappy fighters. Their one strong point is their fast acceleration from take off. They lose on just about everything else.
View Quote

I mean yes and no.

What most people fail to realize is the actual context the mig29 was designed to be used in versus nato fighters.

Imagine the 1980's. NATO has SARH missiles like the Aim-7 and shorter range missiles like the IR Aim-9 series. The baddest fighter in the sky is the F15. But there were a ton of less capable fighters, F16's, F4's hell even ancient F104's.

Now, lets look at how the soviets intended to deal with that threat.

The soviets were "Economical", cheap if you want to use the other word. So, all their expensive electronic shit tended to be on the ground handled by a handful of experts. I.e. Ground Control Intercept officers, and in the broader context of their SAM network, or IADS (Integrated Air Defense System). So, while the F15 for example had a big fancy and expensive radar and a big fancy EW suite, in the soviet system that sat well defended on the ground. The way it was intended to work was simple. Mr. Mig29 with his radar off, was vectored to a favorable intercept position to the F15, and Mr. F15 never saw him coming coming until it was too late. Mr. Mig29 turned his radar on at the last possible second, locked up Mr. F15 and fired his own SARH missile. If it actually got to the merge, the mig29 was kinematically better than the F15 or 16, and had the further advantage of an off boresight HOBS missile that in post cold war tests proved scarily effective against F16's that fought it. Add in the fact there were 4 or more mig29's per NATO fighter and then it gets even worse.

BUT...

Most nations that actually used the mig29 and fought the USA... Didn't have a useful IADS system, or if they did it was dismantled overnight on day's 1-3 of the air war. So the fighters were mostly useless since they lacked that critical GCI/IADS component. And moreover, instead of having an numerical superiority vs US fighters it was more like 10:1 against them.

And so they got their asses handed to them, time and time and time again. But it had little to do with the fighter, and more to do with the much larger system they had not working like it was intended, while the US systems worked as designed.

So, in a modern context, a mig29 or 35 as they are known now is a much closer comparison to western fighters since they adopted the western philosophy of putting good avionics in the bird instead of the ground.

But put an 80's era falcon or even eagle up against a 80's era 29 in WVR fight, and its probably gonna the migs way, since that was largely what it was built to do. Fast forward to the 90's and AAMRAM days, and it looks very different.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let me see where I can park it in the driveway.
View Quote

I wonder if the civ owners have read the RhAF maintenace tips and tricks that enabled them to be flown for like 1/10th the maintenance costs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you in that aussie's discord?
View Quote

I am not.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A friend of a friend down in South Louisiana has one. There 5 or 6 guys along the gulf coast that have them and they fly around. Looks like fun.
View Quote

When you and your buddies have far too much money to buy Harleys and join the local motorcycle club...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing I’m qualified to do is guard it.
Sure would like a ride though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I mean yes and no.

What most people fail to realize is the actual context the mig29 was designed to be used in versus nato fighters.

Imagine the 1980's. NATO has SARH missiles like the Aim-7 and shorter range missiles like the IR Aim-9 series. The baddest fighter in the sky is the F15. But there were a ton of less capable fighters, F16's, F4's hell even ancient F104's.

The soviets were "Economical", cheap if you want to use the other word. So, all their expensive electronic shit tended to be on the ground handled by a handful of experts. I.e. Ground Control Intercept officers, and in the broader context of their SAM network, or IADS (Integrated Air Defense System). So, while the F15 for example had a big fancy and expensive radar and a big fancy EW suite, in the soviet system that sat well defended on the ground. The way it was intended to work was simple. Mr. Mig29 with his radar off, was vectored to a favorable intercept position to the F15, and Mr. F15 never saw him coming coming until it was too late. Mr. Mig29 turned his radar on at the last possible second, locked up Mr. F15 and fired his own SARH missile. If it actually got to the merge, the mig29 was kinematically better than the F15 or 16, and had the further advantage of an off boresight HOBS missile that in post cold war tests proved scarily effective against F16's that fought it. Add in the fact there were 4 or more mig29's per NATO fighter and then it gets even worse.

BUT...

Most nations that actually used the mig29 and fought the USA... Didn't have a useful IADS system, or if they did it was dismantled overnight on day's 1-3 of the air war. So the fighters were mostly useless since they lacked that critical GCI/IADS component. And moreover, instead of having an numerical superiority vs US fighters it was more like 10:1 against them.

And so they got their asses handed to them, time and time and time again. But it had little to do with the fighter, and more to do with the much larger system they had not working like it was intended, while the US systems worked as designed.

So, in a modern context, a mig29 or 35 as they are known now is a much closer comparison to western fighters since they adopted the western philosophy of putting good avionics in the bird instead of the ground.

But put an 80's era falcon or even eagle up against a 80's era 29 in WVR fight, and its probably gonna the migs way, since that was largely what it was built to do. Fast forward to the 90's and AAMRAM days, and it looks very different.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are really crappy fighters. Their one strong point is their fast acceleration from take off. They lose on just about everything else.

I mean yes and no.

BUT...

Didn't know all of that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
While the MiG-29 would be awesome to own as a private citizen where you don't have to worry about facing enemy fighter jets....

View Quote

Yeah, but Chicks would dig it in your hangar.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you plan on flying it in combat?
View Quote

Well, mine was just painted in a colorful Hawaiian floral pattern, so...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is at least one Dehavilland Vampire still flying. I've seen it race at Reno.

When they can get the thing off the ground. Suckers fast but its significantly less reliable than an L39. Makes for an interesting link between the WW2 piston engine Warbirds and the jet racers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image_jpeg-1794673.JPG

That plane crashed last year in WI and killed the pilot and now the museum is closing...so sad..

Not a recent picture, it's been repainted black with Swiss livery since this was taken.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image_jpeg-1794675.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nearly the entire fleet of surplus jets is for sale at any time. Very few are nearly affordable to own and operate.  Magisters,  Saitas, L-29`s, and maybe one or two others.

I was wondering whether there are airworthy Vampires or Goblins flying a couple of days past.  There were several through the 90`s.

There is at least one Dehavilland Vampire still flying. I've seen it race at Reno.

When they can get the thing off the ground. Suckers fast but its significantly less reliable than an L39. Makes for an interesting link between the WW2 piston engine Warbirds and the jet racers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image_jpeg-1794673.JPG

That plane crashed last year in WI and killed the pilot and now the museum is closing...so sad..

Not a recent picture, it's been repainted black with Swiss livery since this was taken.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image_jpeg-1794675.JPG

That plane crashed in WI in 2018, killed the pilot/owner and now the museum is closing down..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hate to ask the practical question but what’s the maintenance like on thiis thing?
View Quote

Depends. You up to FAA regs or sovietsky regs?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of the cold war needs to be looked at in that context. Individually most western systems were kind sorta better depending on what you look at, but Soviet stuff was meant to be used in different ways. Tanks were a similar story, guns were fine, speed was great, armor was ok. Crew comort lol, reliability good enough for a few hundred
miles/a few days, fine cuz the chances that any given tank would survive long enough were basically 0, but you had enough for a second wave, and a third and a fourth etc.

And once you take the soviet stuff out of context it performs way way worse.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That plane crashed in WI in 2018, killed the pilot/owner and now the museum is closing down..
View Quote

Sad
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean yes and no.

BUT...

But put an 80's era falcon or even eagle up against a 80's era 29 in WVR fight, and its probably gonna the Migs way, since that was largely what it was built to do. Fast forward to the 90's and AAMRAM days, and it looks very different.

Harlikwin's posts are always worth the time to read.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But since all action movie protagonists are supposed to be female nowadays. And there's probably some very not politically correct aspects to the story it will probably never happen.

View Quote

Would the term cockpit become Vagina Vestibule for the movie do ya think?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Hornets vs Fulcrums

Aside from imagining how fun it would be to do opposite direction pattern work in a large aircraft to annoy my friends I've been trying to find interviews I've read from US pilots that went to Germany to play with East German Fulcrums after unification
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Most of the cold war needs to be looked at in that context. Individually most western systems were kind sorta better depending on what you look at, but Soviet stuff was meant to be used in different ways. Tanks were a similar story, guns were fine, speed was great, armor was ok. Crew comort lol, reliability good enough for a few hundred
miles/a few days, fine cuz the chances that any given tank would survive long enough were basically 0, but you had enough for a second wave, and a third and a fourth etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As you know, Soviet-era armor was nothing to laugh at.  It wasn't until the Abrams was fielded in the early 1980s that US tank crews could even think about living through the first hours of an invasion by Soviet / WP forces into W Germany.  

Our AH-1s and A-10s would have been slaughtered in wholesale lots by Soviet ZSU-23-4s.  In the meantime, we struggled (and failed) to field the M247 DIVAD and couldn't even get that right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hornets vs Fulcrums

Aside from imagining how fun it would be to do opposite direction pattern work in a large aircraft to annoy my friends I've been trying to find interviews I've read from US pilots that went to Germany to play with East German Fulcrums after unification
View Quote

There is also a great article from a USAF exchange officer that flew vipers that did an exchange with that squad. Also US viper squads that flew against them in the early ops got their asses handed to them WVR and easily won with BVR aamrams.

So circa mid 80s... Bad days for the USAF. Mid 90s onward easy days.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I’d consider buying it if someone could cover the maintenance and fuel...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As you know, Soviet-era armor was nothing to laugh at.  It wasn't until the Abrams was fielded in the early 1980s that US tank crews could even think about living through the first hours of an invasion by Soviet / WP forces into W Germany.  

Our AH-1s and A-10s would have been slaughtered in wholesale lots by Soviet ZSU-23-4s.  In the meantime, we struggled (and failed) to field the M247 DIVAD and couldn't even get that right.
View Quote
Yeah, the T72, Hind, ZSU, and Migs were very scary in their day.

Plus Russia always had the more is better mentality.

Add in their blanket of anti air missiles and it would have been a knock down brawl.

But thankfully nukes kept everything civil.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There is also a great article from a USAF exchange officer that flew vipers that did an exchange with that squad. Also US viper squads that flew against them in the early ops got their asses handed to them WVR and easily won with BVR aamrams.

So circa mid 80s... Bad days for the USAF. Mid 90s onward easy days.

View Quote

That's one I was thinking of and another one by David Cenciotti describing those early days.

I think the Mig-29 is a good looking plane and made sure to get some pics with the one at NAS Fallon
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, US ADA efforts weren't great, but at least the Chapperal was a thing along with the Vulcan. But the US army mostly had to buy the idea that the USAF would have air superiority. The rest of Nato was in a worse boat, but at least some of Ze Germanz in charge were old enough to remember "promises" like that, and the Bundesheer at least had some decent SHORADs with the Roland and Gepard systems. So at the end of the day I don't think there would have been all that easy for the Soviets either.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But thankfully nukes kept everything civil.
View Quote

I mean, nukes would have flown from the first minutes, regardless of the decade. Every source I've read basically says that, so... Yes civil, but if it had gone hot, not so civil.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#28]
That site is warbird porn.

Now I wish I played the lottery so I could buy an airport and hangers for my new collection.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top