User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]

From those according to their ability, to those according to their need.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...It's an article of faith. People have turned politics into it's own religion with it's own tenets of faith...

Welcome to the chorus.  I've been saying this for years.  Politics - not just this bill - is the new religion.  The sort of allegiance that many people in this country give to their chosen political party can only be described as religous fervor, & nothing short of that.  I'm sure democraps probably think of Capitol Hill as a "temple of democracy".
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I also find it interesting that no one takes advantage of health savings accounts.  People refuse to be responsible for their own health care, they want someone else to pay for it, whether it is your boss or the gubment.

Question:  Do you have to spend all the money in the account by the end of the year?  That's the way it is with my plan so I'm afraid of putting too much money in it.

The solution:  Allow the money to roll over year to year.  If you can't/don't spend the money, then it can be used in later years but only for medical expenses since it is pre-tax dollars.  If you die before you spend it, allow the money to be transfered tax-free to someone else's health savings account of your choosing.  If not, then it is taxed and given to your heirs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Within 5 years, 95% of Americans will be on a crappy hybrid of Medicare/Medicaid.  5% will be both healthy and rich enough to pay for a true private health insurance policy.

But if you want the latest drugs, or the latest therapy, you will have to have some sort of supplemental policy that will pay for it.  That will be the health insurance 'perk' offered by employers in the future.  

And if you want timely care, be ready to pay for it out of your own pocket, in full, up front or sit in a .gov clinic for 4+ hours for your kids earache, fever, or twisted ankle.

In the end, the average patient will be screwed and screwed hard.

But we will all sleep better knowing those "45 million" (or whatever the made up number is this week) without healthcare now have it.  

what i see happening is what is already happening but on a larger scale: everyone with free healthcare will hit the ER everytime Junior/Pedro gets a cough...costs will triple for each citizen

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#6]
C-4, same with the Wife's plan.    

You don't use it, you lose it....

I agree that a roll-over would work well (maybe max of what can be rolled over....and remember, you can change the deductions during the open enrollment plans).    

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#7]
My boss is the CFO of our company.  He stated plainly that if something like this comes to pass, 100% of the cost will be placed on the employee so that there is no "taxable event" from the corporate perspective.  If the proposed, and ultimately adopted, tax code is that any private healthcare is taxable to both the employer and employee I suspect a collapse of free clinics, ER's, and doctors' offices in low and middle income neighborhoods.  They will simply not get the money they need to stay in business in a timely fashion.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also find it interesting that no one takes advantage of health savings accounts.  People refuse to be responsible for their own health care, they want someone else to pay for it, whether it is your boss or the gubment.

People don't want to be responsible for anything anymore.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#10]
No peaceful way to fix this country.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And at the same time the gov. wants all employers to pay for health insurance.  Sounds like a massive tax scheme. SHTF is right around the corner.

Whether they can afford it or not.

I see a storm cloud coming, how about all of you?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I also find it interesting that no one takes advantage of health savings accounts.

Are you talking about flexible spending accounts (FSA)?  Or something else?  Typical FSA's are use it or lose it within 12 months, I am not keen on setting aside money that might evaporate if I happen NOT to get sick.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Thought I also heard them mention a "carve out" for the unions - no tax on the healthcare benefits for them

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Another reason why it keeps getting harder to force myself into work every day
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thought I also heard them mention a "carve out" for the unions - no tax on the healthcare benefits for them

Fuck them with a dirty donkey dick.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
C-4, same with the Wife's plan.    

You don't use it, you lose it....

I agree that a roll-over would work well (maybe max of what can be rolled over....and remember, you can change the deductions during the open enrollment plans).    

AFARR

That's what I thought.

Given our current tax system I would make it so you could roll over all of it but keep a maximum amount you can put in the program each year.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Question:  Do you have to spend all the money in the account by the end of the year?  That's the way it is with my plan so I'm afraid of putting too much money in it.

The solution:  Allow the money to roll over year to year.  If you can't/don't spend the money, then it can be used in later years but only for medical expenses since it is pre-tax dollars.  If you die before you spend it, allow the money to be transfered tax-free to someone else's health savings account of your choosing.  If not, then it is taxed and given to your heirs.

I didn't know that they worked like that.  My dad has one that he puts money into.  He carries an insurance plan with an  ultra high deductible and just puts money into his health savings account to pay for the out of pocket things.  I don't think he had any issues of using it or losing it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I guess I just got educated.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Wasn't this exactly what Obama whined about?  Oh yea, there it is...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l8ZOMd468o
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Just another EXCUSE for your boss to NOT give you a raise and maybe even a "takehome" pay cut........ Most of the raises for employees in the last 20-30 years have been chewed up by increases in Healthcare Insurance plans.... Now they will be chewed up by increased Taxes...

I have already "told" myself that my next job if needed will either be self employment or I will negotiate salary based on "TAKEHOME".  I don't see how we can continue to keep losing our pay by "CONFISICATION"  both public and private.  It all just infuriates the average worker..  

I would say that if implemented this will destroy the Democratic Party in the eyes of the American Producer  and hopefully show up in 2010....... on second thought I bet it dosen't get implemented until AFTER the 2010 elections

What is the status of this fiasco in the legislative process??????????

Semper Fi
zhick
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#22]
They need more money from tobacco.  They need more money from booze.  More money from gasoline.  More money from heating fuel.  More money from my paycheck.  More money from my purchases.  More money from my car.  More money from my real estate property.  More money from my benefits.

It's untenable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Our system is so messed up partially because the incentives are all wrong and contradictory.

LCD politics babe... it's here to stay.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#24]
If all this comes true, you aren't going to want to be holding stocks like United Health, Cigna, et al.

Private insurance companies are getting set up for a major fail.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Explain this to me like I'm 6

I pay $100

This would be a tax your employer would pay ? Will I have to declare this as an income at the end of the year since this policy really costs $7500 a year but my employer covers the rest?

So I would pay income tax on the $7500......the cost of the real policy?

Of course, they want to destroy private health care.

You will have an additional $1800 in taxes on your $7500 health plan. So thats an extra $150 out of each paycheck.

What.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If all this comes true, you aren't going to want to be holding stocks like United Health, Cigna, et al.

Private insurance companies are getting set up for a major fail.

Actually I think quite the opposite, if a .gov plan goes in effect those that can afford private insurance will flock to it in droves.  Corporate America will then begin offloading paid benefits and telling employees just to get on the .gov plan.  When I was in the UK I remember seeing doctor's offices with signs that said "private insurance", proof to me that those who can, do stay private.  A lot of European Countries also have "private" hospitals that the tour books tell you to go to instead of the state run place.

Hell look at what happened when the Medicare drug plan got put in, a lot of companies dropped their retirement drug coverage.  

Hell if this thing goes forward I will at least get a high deductible plan for the family that way if something bad ( cancer, heart attack etc.) happens I can stay out of the .gov health care.  

But the bottom line is too many Americans would rather have dish network and an Iphone than get health insurance and most of these dead beats are also getting earned income tax credits.  I bust my ass to get to a place where I was with a good company with good benefits and now some liberal prick cries and says everyone deserves good benefits.  Go out and work for it you lazy bastards.  My .02

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I really hate to cite a communist rag like the NYT but this is essentially a revamped McCain plan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/us/politics/01mccain.html?_r=1

McCain Health Plan Could Mean Higher Tax
By KEVIN SACK and MICHAEL COOPER
Published: May 1, 2008
ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Though Senator John McCain has promised to not raise taxes, his campaign acknowledged Wednesday that the health plan he outlined this week would have the effect of increasing tax payments for some workers, primarily those with high incomes and expensive health plans.
Federal Money in Health Care Plan From McCain (April 30, 2008)
Times Topics: John McCain

The campaign cannot yet project how many taxpayers might see their taxes go up, said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, Mr. McCain’s top domestic policy adviser. But Mr. Holtz-Eakin said in an interview that for some, Mr. McCain’s health care tax credits would not be large enough to compensate for his proposal to eliminate the tax breaks afforded to workers with employer-provided health benefits.

On stops in Florida and Pennsylvania this week, Mr. McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, has emphasized a free-market approach that he said would lower health care costs and make insurance affordable.

To do so he is proposing a major tax change that he hopes will make the insurance marketplace more competitive and less expensive in part by encouraging more people to buy health insurance on their own instead of receiving it from their employers.

The 71 percent of insured Americans who get their health coverage through their employers now enjoy a significant advantage because the money spent by employers on their health coverage is excluded from their taxable income. If employers chose to pay that share of a worker’s compensation as wages rather than benefits, the income would be taxable.

The exclusion costs the federal government more than $212 billion a year in income and payroll taxes, according to Congress’s Joint Committee on Taxation. That is more than the cost of the deductibility of home mortgage interest, according to the Employee Benefit Research Institute.

The tax treatment of health benefits has been criticized as both discriminatory and regressive, and some analysts believe it encourages workers to buy more coverage than they need, driving up health costs.

To end the disadvantage to those who do not buy insurance through employers, Mr. McCain proposes to eliminate the exclusion of health benefits from taxable income. In exchange, he would provide refundable tax credits of $2,500 to single people and of $5,000 to families, with the goal of stoking competition in the individual insurance market. The elimination of the exclusion would generate $3.6 trillion over 10 years, according to the McCain campaign, and that money would pay for the tax credits.

Mr. Holtz-Eakin calculated that workers in the top income tax bracket would have to pay more in taxes if their employers have been contributing at least $14,285 toward a family insurance premium. Nationwide, the average cost of a family policy is $12,106, with employers paying $8,824 of that amount.

While the change would primarily affect those with gold-plated insurance policies, health analysts point out that middle-income workers with conventional coverage could conceivably pay more in regions where insurance costs are high. Over time, that might depend on how the tax credits are adjusted for inflation, a detail Mr. McCain has not discussed.

Gary Claxton, a vice president of the Kaiser Family Foundation, a health policy research group, said that about 6 percent of insured employees worked for companies where the average employer contribution met the threshold set by Mr. Holtz-Eakin. Mr. Claxton said he could not project how many of those workers are in the top tax bracket and would pay higher taxes.

Interviewed on his campaign bus Wednesday afternoon, Mr. McCain said: “I’m giving them a $5,000 refundable tax credit. I believe that that takes care of the overwhelming majority of Americans.”

Charlie Black, a senior adviser to his campaign, who was also on the bus, acknowledged that some would pay more. “It would be a very, very small percentage of people,” Mr. Black said, “and they would be people who are getting a plan that’s way beyond what regular people have.”

Mr. McCain has said he would maintain the Bush-era income tax cuts and support other tax reductions, and he has pledged repeatedly that he would not raise taxes. “Do you mean none?” Sean Hannity, the Fox News host, asked in a March 16 interview.

“None,” Mr. McCain replied.

Mr. Holtz-Eakin said Mr. McCain’s health proposal does not contradict his tax pledge because the government would gain the same amount of revenue by ending the exclusion as it would lose by granting the tax credits.

“He has said that he is in favor of a tax code that is fairer, simpler, flatter, more pro-growth and more internationally competitive,” Mr. Holtz-Eakin said. “There’s nothing about revenue-neutral tax reforms that’s inconsistent with his position.”

Some scholars say otherwise. “Anyway you cut it, if you make health benefits subject to taxation, that’s a tax increase,” said Jonathan B. Oberlander, a political scientist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. “You can argue with lots of merit that it’s a responsible increase, that it takes away an inequitable exclusion, but it’s still a tax increase.”

On the Democratic side, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York also wants to change the tax treatment of employee health benefits, though not as radically as Mr. McCain. She has proposed limiting the exclusion for those earning more than $250,000, about 2 percent of workers. Under her plan, which would raise an estimated $2 billion to support universal health coverage, high earners would pay taxes on the part of employer-provided health benefits that exceed a standard policy. Mrs. Clinton has not defined where that limit would be set.

Her Democratic rival, Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, has not proposed changing the tax exclusion.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Operative word = disencentive

Indeed. I am literally fucking amazed how anyone could actually support the geniuses floating these proposals. I am literally sitting in fucking awe of how ANYONE could think that taxing health benefits is going to make getting coverage less expensive. Someone cannot plead simple ignorance. It's not a lack of sophistication on the part of the voters. One has to willingly suspend disbelief in order to support this nonsense. It's an article of faith. People have turned politics into it's own religion with it's own tenets of faith.

There is no other explanation. If I said that not enough people can afford milk, and to solve it I was going to put a new tax on milk, even a child could understand that I would actually be making milk more expensive and exacerbating the problem.

...and yet when we replace milk with healthcare there are scores of morons just waiting to lap it up.

I'm utterly fucking amazed.

Wanna see a magic trick?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like it is time to quit my job and go park it on my couch.  I'll get free everything from obummer and the dims.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top