Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:02:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Don’t feel bad OP, it happens.

My kids never brought it home, however I did twice after patting down illegal aliens and transporting them to our duty station.

Used to keep a bottle of RID under the cabinet for those occasions.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:19:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The local school district policy is to not send the infected child home. Apparently it is better to expose the other children than embarrass the kid.
View Quote
I heard of that around hear too. Apparently the schools don't want the kids to feel singled out or stigmatized for being bug carriers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sadly, disgracefully, this is the de facto standard...

In fact, I was personally informed recently, that even when they know exactly WHO the child is with head lice, they WILL NOT treat it as a "communicable" issue/virus/disease/bacteria/threat - and they WILL NOT even request that the kid stay home from school!!!

So basically...ALL KIDS WITH TONS OF HAIR LICE, FLEAS, SCABIES, CRABS,  and ANYTHING ELSE - YOU ARE WELCOME AT OUR PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!  INFECT AWAY!!!...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The local school district policy is to not send the infected child home. Apparently it is better to expose the other children than embarrass the kid.
Sadly, disgracefully, this is the de facto standard...

In fact, I was personally informed recently, that even when they know exactly WHO the child is with head lice, they WILL NOT treat it as a "communicable" issue/virus/disease/bacteria/threat - and they WILL NOT even request that the kid stay home from school!!!

So basically...ALL KIDS WITH TONS OF HAIR LICE, FLEAS, SCABIES, CRABS,  and ANYTHING ELSE - YOU ARE WELCOME AT OUR PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!  INFECT AWAY!!!...
Yup.  Public schools are now disease vectors..
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
My boy keeps a very short haircut just for this reason.  he's got the burgers so he don't give a shit what his hair looks like.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Shave head now.

I made it through almost three years traveling South Asia, living in some sketchy places without ever getting head lice

I also bathed with Naptha soap. Between that and the Indian Sun, it turned my skin into leather.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The letter doesn’t say if they did. I didn’t because she was already in bed by the time I saw it. It got separated from her other papers and I happened to just notice it.
View Quote
Dafuq?

Maybe things have changed, but I remember my grade school doing lice-checks on the entire student body.  And IIRC a couple of students had their parents called to come pick them up.

And don't forget - if it's not been mentioned yet - no "trying on" those walmart animal head things.  Cos you don't know who else has been wearing them.  Same for sharing of hats or combs of course.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
^^^ They do it that way here, too. Usually not even a letter home, either. Damn, but I'm glad all of mine are in high school now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#8]
BTDT. Learned a few things along the way:
-Throw all garments, bed linens and pillows in the clothes dryer set on the highest heat setting for 30 minutes.

-Wash your child's hair and blow dry on high heat...any shampoo is just as effective as RID. Comb hair thoroughly and inspect.

-The key preventative is to use hair products in your child's hair such as mousse or hair gel everyday for the rest of her school life. Lice HIGHLY dislike hair products. Coconut oil just makes a mess that is hard to clean up. Don't bother with it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a script for Sklice. Kills all stages of lice in one treatment.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#10]
The trick is prevent reinfestation.

See my previous post.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top