User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sitting at a red light, about 6 cars are in front of me.  Some girl pulls up behind me in an older Dodge Ram.  The light turned green and once the car in front me me started rolling the girl behind me got all pedal happy and smashed on the gas.  I was just letting out the clutch when she ran into me.  Luckily for me I was already started to move forward and she only had a couple feet to speed up so the hit wasn't incredibly hard, and I was able to keep the bike balanced.  

I pulled off into a parking lot to asses the damage and chew her a new a@*hole.  The damage to the bike was minimal.  The fender was bent slightly and the tail light mounting bracket was bent.  It rolled a little rough in neutral so I'm not sure if the axle or the drive shaft are screwed up.  I'm taking it to my dealer today to have them look into everything and order new parts.  

No insurance is getting involved.  The driver and her family want to pay out of pocket, which is fine by me.  We wrote out a statement and signed it with a witness so she cannot change the story and bail out on paying me.  I warned her it will be fairly expensive.  

Lucky for me, the girl is VERY attractive (this happened on a college campus).  Sorry guys, no pics were taken.  However, I do have her number and we have arranged to go out for a few beers and some parties.  

I will update with pics of the bike later this morning before I bring it to the dealer.

*Edit* - My bike is a 2008 Honda VTX 1800.  I bought it brand new this spring when I got home from Iraq.

Those aren't the pics we're looking for.

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I went this route with a guy that made a left turn from my right side.  Damage to his car (dents on the side and a flat tire) was more than my bike (slightly bent fender and bent foot peg bracket).  He didn't want to go the insurance route so I told him I would send him a bill.  We traded info, I got his tag number to have a friend run, then saw about fixing my bike.  Total was a little under $300.  I mailed a copy of the receipts, and he started the sob story about no money.  I told him $100/month for three months, and he paid up.  I know I was lucky this time, but next time I will go the insurance route.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can remember reading that there is a psychological phenomenon called... <for the life of me, I can't remember>.

In any case, what it amounts to is, people see what they expect to see. A person who is pulling up to a line of cars at a light expects to see a car in front of them.

Now, what sometimes happens is, drivers will look right through you on your motorcycle and attempt to pull up behind the car in front of you... sandwiching you in the middle.

Good reason to get a brake-modulator or better yet...

http://hyperlites.com/stdsf.html

I have one on my Triumph, I had one on my V-Strom... still have to get one for my new Kawi.  

I think they're great. (Although, those Hyperlites look like they're even better.)

What kind of Triumph do you have?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just wondering... was her number 867-5309?

How did you get Jenny's number?  

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can remember reading that there is a psychological phenomenon called... <for the life of me, I can't remember>.

In any case, what it amounts to is, people see what they expect to see. A person who is pulling up to a line of cars at a light expects to see a car in front of them.

Now, what sometimes happens is, drivers will look right through you on your motorcycle and attempt to pull up behind the car in front of you... sandwiching you in the middle.

Good reason to get a brake-modulator or better yet...

http://hyperlites.com/stdsf.html

I have one on my Triumph, I had one on my V-Strom... still have to get one for my new Kawi.  

I think they're great. (Although, those Hyperlites look like they're even better.)

What kind of Triumph do you have?

A 2001 Bonneville.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Um well good luck with that.

If ive learned anything its that NOT getting insurance involved is a bad idea. Rarley does the other party end up paying and now its your word against hers. No police report, no insurance report, no record of the incident.

ETA: I wouldnt put much faith in a "statement" that was scrawled on a piece of paper at the scene.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
there's a name for people like you, it's plaintiff
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Um well good luck with that.

If ive learned anything its that NOT getting insurance involved is a bad idea. Rarley does the other party end up paying and now its your word against hers. No police report, no insurance report, no record of the incident.

ETA: I wouldnt put much faith in a "statement" that was scrawled on a piece of paper at the scene.

I'm a woman, your Honor. He's big scary man. He intimidated me into signing that statement.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top